PDA

View Full Version : Wheel seal part number??

Jerseydave
04-25-2009, 09:37 PM
I have an issue with water getting into one of my hubs (oil bath type) so monday I'm taking it apart to replace the seal and gear oil. Anyone know what part # seal I need from a local parts house or NAPA? I'm going to buy some spare ones too.

2005 X-star trailer (dual axle)

Thanks,
Dave

Jerseydave
04-26-2009, 11:09 PM
Took my brake rotor off today and answered my own question

CR # 550244 is my seal number

Probably fits alot of these MC trailers. Going to buy a few spares this time and keep some gear lube in with my road tool box, never know when you might be far from home and need to replace one.

Shane21
04-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Have you been satisfied (other than this incident) with the oil bath hubs? I've heard horror stories and have stayed clear of them.

Jerseydave
04-27-2009, 10:31 AM
I changed out the original plastic bearing caps with the updated aluminum ones, which still have a site glass. If you get into the habit of looking at them every time you put the boat away, you can tell if your oil is low or in my case if you have water getting in there.
The other day I noticed one had water in it, but of course I was ready to drive to the water with it and had no time to change the oil so I just checked it when I got to the ramp and kept an eye on it on the way home.

When I had greased hubs I would carry a grease gun with me and grease the bearing buddy after I pulled the boat out of the water before heading home. This gets old after a while, so yes I do prefer the oil bath type. Worst case you can carry extra oil with you or even grease in case you have a major leak away from home. The thing to remember is bearings needs to be looked at constantly. I've seen a guy with a 'BU ruin a spindle because he forgot to keep a close eye on his oil bath bearings, but that can also happen with greased ones. At least with the oil bath type you have a site glass.........if there's oil in there you'll probably ok.

Shane21
04-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks! I keep an eye on them, but they rarely require me adding grease. Maybe 4 or 5 times a year. I pull my boat about an hour one way to the river.