PDA

View Full Version : Seems like Austin Tx. always makes the news.

milkmania
05-19-2005, 02:24 AM
Pre-K Student Brings Handgun to School

By Associated Press

May 18, 2005, 1:17 PM EDT

AUSTIN, Texas -- A pre-kindergarten student brought a handgun to school, where it was seized by a fifth-grader and turned over to the principal, school district officials said Tuesday.

The 5-year-old reportedly displayed the loaded weapon outside the Blanton Elementary School cafeteria where students were gathered before class. The fifth-grader recognized it was real and took it to the principal.

Investigators were trying to determine how the child got the gun, Austin Independent School District spokeswoman Carmen Luevanos said.

District police said they will pursue charges against the adult who allowed the student to bring the weapon to school. The adult was not identified.

A charge of making a firearm accessible to a child is a Class C misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to $500.

Luevanos said investigators do not believe the 5-year-old intended to harm any students.

"He just took it out to show other students," she said. "Their conclusion is the child was not really aware how serious his actions were." Copyright 2005 Newsday Inc.

wow:eek:

east tx skier
05-19-2005, 10:36 AM
He'd been saving up to buy it for 4 years.

martini
05-19-2005, 10:49 AM
Ya'll never participated in show n' tell? JK.

tex
05-19-2005, 11:11 AM
What's the problem? We deal with this everyday. I call it job security.

MarkP
05-19-2005, 11:20 AM
Lot of Texas boys not seeing this as a problem? I hope your comments are tongue in cheek and you do take steps to keep your children and others safe..

Leroy
05-19-2005, 11:21 AM
I think this kids rights may have been violated, he can't take a loaded gun to pre-kindergarten and a 5th grader took it away? Waiting for the ACLU to weigh in before I reach any conclusion.....;)

lakes Rick
05-19-2005, 11:24 AM
2nd amendment.....

tex
05-19-2005, 11:25 AM
I think this kids rights may have been violated, he can't take a loaded gun to pre-kindergarten and a 5th grader took it away? Waiting for the ACLU to weigh in before I reach any conclusion.....;)

Depending on the gun-That 5th grader could get hit for Theft $50-500.
Tongue firmly in cheek!

Leroy
05-19-2005, 11:33 AM
I would have to ask has the pre-K been to gun safety school yet? :uglyhamme

east tx skier
05-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Mark, tongue firmly in cheek here. Sometimes it's hard to tell in Texas, what with all the dippin' going on.

milkmania
05-20-2005, 03:24 AM
I wonder how the 5th grader presented that gun to authorities....

if he didn't play his cards right, he'd have been slammed to the ground, stuffed, and cuffed before he could spell principal:eek3: