PDA

View Full Version : Velvet drive blowing out front seal

ellobob
04-23-2009, 11:04 PM
I got the bright idea to change the trany fluid, in doing so i over filled it causing it to blow the front seal out. i've made certain i didn't over fill it (after i put in a new front seal), and it's blown it out again and again. i've got the seal in and it's a good tight fit but it continues to do it. before i drained and refilled it it ran great, the trany was overhauled around 30 hours ago, problem is driving me crazy any suggestions would be appreciated greatly.
Maybe use lock tight, or J B WELD!! :confused:

flipper
04-23-2009, 11:50 PM
One thing I'd check is the breather. What kind of fluid did you put in?

CantRepeat
04-24-2009, 06:34 AM
The seal should have an orange coating around it. That is a sealer and it shouldn't require anything else. But if you must I would only suggest a very thin coat of non hardening permatex type sealer #1372.

I think flipper has you best course of action right now. If the vent breather is clogged or plugged it will cause an over pressure condition in the transmission and pump which could lead to your current issue.

If you don't correct the issue and of over pressure and you make the seal stay in some how you stand a good chance a damaging the transmission in other ways. Blowing the seal is a best case until you find the root cause.