PDA

View Full Version : $300 for an oil and tranny service?!!!

ivectoryou
04-23-2009, 08:02 PM
I called a local boat center and was quoted $300 to change the oil and tranny fluid plus install a new oil filter and fuel filter. Our boat is a 2001 MC Prostar 195.

That sounded quite high to us, so I called the closest Mastercraft Dealer (2 hour drive North from Eugene, OR) and was quoted $135 for the same service.

I called the local center back to say ***? At first he sounded like he didn't know what to say and then said a direct drive would be $179 for the stated service and that he must have quoted me the V-drive price.

I told him that was "quite dissapointing" that he quoted me the V-drive price when he specifically asked me if it was a V-drive or direct-drive immediately prior to giving me the first outrageous quote.

My gut feeling is that I was intentionally being gouged/taken advantage of and even though I am going to go with them to save me a two-hour drive, I'm now also apprehensive about the service I might receive.

I would like to know if $179 is a reasonable price.

I'm obviously not that experienced when it comes to boat maintenance. I've just learned that it's better to have these services done at the end of boating season as opposed to now. The boat is stored in a fairly warm and completely dry garage all winter long.

Ubugme2
04-23-2009, 08:06 PM
I just changed oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and trany fluid on my boat. It only cost me around 50 bucks for parts, and it was easy for my first time doing it. Im sure that is a fair price including parts and labor. I would say go for it if your not wanting to do it yourself.

CantRepeat
04-23-2009, 08:54 PM
On that old of a boat I would say do it yourself. It's pretty much like a car when it comes to oil and filters.

bigmac
04-23-2009, 09:00 PM
It's about $50 worth of oil and filter, if that, if you buy the stuff at NAPA. Dealers usually buy the stuff in bulk and get better pricing than that, plus GOK what kind of oil is actually is in that 55 gallon drum. Labor...should take less than an hour for someone who's never done it before, including warming up the boat.

IMHO, the guy's feeding you a complete line of BS. Changing the oil and filter + tranny is no more difficult or time consuming than on a direct-drive. I think they were planning on taking you for a ride. Very disappointing.

Craig
04-23-2009, 09:14 PM
I agree with all, that is junk. It might cost them $40 in fluids and filter(s) and probably 45 minutes, max.

There is a MC dealer near me that does similar stuff. Actually, all the dealers around here seem to do that. As if oil for a boat magically costs 4x what it does at NAPA because it is near the lake.

As others have said, you can do it yourself for about $50-$60 in fluids and parts (plus some one time costs). I would plan for a good two hours if you have never done it before and haven't really done many cars either.

east tx skier
04-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Yes, that's expensive. Easiest thing in the world to do yourself. Check out some of the threads on the subject and give it a go. Everyone who posts on here was smart enough to get on the internet and, thus, can change their oil and transmission fluid.

Not sure about how much of a pain the inline filter is to change, but how bad could it be.

flipper
04-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Either find another place, or do it yourself. If for no other reason, because they tried to rip you off. Don't give them a dime. If they are into ripping people off, chances are they will use some off brand cheap oil and filter.

cbryan70
04-23-2009, 10:36 PM
really doesnt seem that crazy, even though the dealer buys the oil and parts in bulk and get a break on the price they still sell it at retail prices. If his labor rate was $90 which is low around here plus the parts your at $140. 300 seems crazy......

2RLAKE
04-23-2009, 11:00 PM
i'll do it for $250! Seriously, just bought a fresh supply for mine, including a $15 K&N oil filter and it was under $50. I have my 10 year old help me each time ... couple more years and i'll never have to do it again!

barefoot
04-23-2009, 11:11 PM
I think you could do it yourself even with limited knowledge. So the question is how, right?

First, take a look at your owners manual and see what kind of oil and tranny fluid it recommends for your engine. (http://www.mastercraft.com/knowledge/owners_manuals)

Go to the auto store and tell 'em the oil and tranny fluid you need. They should be able to tell you what kind of oil filter you'll need.

Next, get the boat up to opperating tempurature. This is issential for getting the oil hot enough to drain and to get the the oil curculating from the oil pan.

Get it back on the trailer and drain the oil. There should be a quick drain hose that you are able to drop through the bilge drain hole. This is basically acts your drain plug. After all the oil is drained, change your oil fitter and pour the recommend amount of oil in the engine (about 5 quarts). There is an oil filler cap on the left side of your engine right above the manifold. You'll pour it directly into the top cover.

As for the tranny fluid, I bought a vacuum pump like this (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947647000P?keyword=fluid+pump). Suck the fluid right from the tranny hole. It's important to put in as much as you take out. The manual should tell you how much to put in. After you take it out, put the new stuff in.

It's basically as easy as that.

boyd
04-23-2009, 11:37 PM
I don't think that sounds too bad. You pay people for their knowledge. If they know it and you don't, then you pay. You also pay them for the time you don't have to spend in doing it.
I agree with others ..... it's easy to do yourself but if you don't feel comfortable doing it then you have to pay for that comfort.
Another thing. Those guys have to pay for their labor, insurance, property taxes, income taxes, dealership liscense, business liscense, electricity payment, water payment, workmans comp. It cost a lot to have a business. So what if they make $100. I don't think the rate sounds any more expensive than any car dealership. Plus you took it during their most busy time of the year.
Bottom line ......... do it yourself. You may mess up. If you do, take a pic,put it on this site and we will help you out.
Good luck
BOYD

sand2snow22
04-24-2009, 12:52 AM
Screw the first dealer. I hope they are busy because they must not want the work. Was it Maxxum Marine? I called them yesterday and whoever answered the phone was really not helpful. Feel free to send me a private message.

Portland Ski Boat Center's prices are very fair and their service department is top notch. Make sure you ask for Pat and tell him Bryan sent you. Pat, Sean and Matt will take care of you.

You can also hit up Chad, he claims to have the lowest rates in the NW and he's mobile!

http://www.fibercoatboatrepair.com/

Or try to do it yourself. Good luck....

CantRepeat
04-24-2009, 06:01 AM
You know that might not be a bad thread to start on here.

Basic maintenance on year/make/model - oil and filter change / plugs / tranny fluid change / grease stearing cables / prop shaft alignment / winterizing tips /

TX.X-30 fan
04-24-2009, 09:20 AM
What about the fuel filter is it easy on a 195, it does not look easy on mine. Could be the reason for the cost and that fuel filter is $$$$$$$ on mine.

FI skier
04-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Hi all.
Being a repair and service shop in Panama city Florida I tought I would chime in on this.

Basic service:
Run on hose to warm up engine, run diagnostic ( Rinda) check for codes, Oil and filter Change, Transmission service (filter some have them some do not), Fuel filter (depends on filter), Impeller check (replace if needed), shaft packing if applicable (price depends on V-drive or direct Drive), overall engine/fuel system condition inspection, lube Perfect Pass and control cables and ball and sockets.

All this in 1-1.5 hours. Keep in mind that we also have to dispose of our used oil!!!
My Labor rate is $85 per hour. So yes it can run up to that $250.00 mark.
And a Initial 25 service can run even higher because of alignment check and other time for adjustments and inspections.

CantRepeat
04-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Hi all.
Being a repair and service shop in Panama city Florida I tought I would chime in on this.

Basic service:
Run on hose to warm up engine, run diagnostic ( Rinda) check for codes, Oil and filter Change, Transmission service (filter some have them some do not), Fuel filter (depends on filter), Impeller check (replace if needed), shaft packing if applicable (price depends on V-drive or direct Drive), overall engine/fuel system condition inspection, lube Perfect Pass and control cables and ball and sockets.

All this in 1-1.5 hours. Keep in mind that we also have to dispose of our used oil!!!
And a Initial 25 service can run even higher because of alignment check and other time for adjustments and inspections.

Which is why some of us choose to do it for ourselves. I remember the when I first started water sports. I purchased a 3 seater Seadoo back in 93 and the first service was $120 bucks. Once I saw the invoice I was floored. Change plugs, lube cables, check impeller, look for loose bolts. I've work on cars for a long, long time and I know I can read the manual and repair my boat. Hell, I even rebuilt the Velvet Drive with a book and kit for less than $60 bucks when everyone was quoting me $1000. Ok, I had to buy a press but I needed one anyway.

I know there are people out there that their time is more important they their money, I got it. Or they know nothing about boats/engines/transmissions/ and could probably do more harm than good. But we’re talking about two spin on filters and fluids on a 91.

Propshaft alignment - remove packing material, unbolt propshaft, lower or raise engine/transmission until you are less than .003 off on the alignment and bolt it back up. Install packing material and your set 30 minutes on my boat.

These forums along with the people that use them are the best source of free information out there.

Good luck to you sir.

bigmac
04-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Hi all.

Basic service:

However, what you're describing here for $250 is different than what the OP described - that being $300 for oil, filters, and transmission fluid. He didn't mention shaft, impeller, codes, etc etc. Yes, $300 would not be unreasonable if all of those things were included.

ivectoryou
04-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the reply. I might have to learn how to do this myself.

Dan

bcampbe7
04-24-2009, 03:44 PM
I thought for sure that "6ballsisall" would chime in on the tranny service portion of this thread. He has some real World experience with this.

davomaddo
05-03-2009, 12:51 AM
Get a pump and the oil and tranmission fluid change is simple. I like to measure how much fluid I take out and then put in around the same amount.
If the dealer is busy, they will charge a lot for this stuff - even though it is simple and doesn't take long.

Thrall
05-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Just do it yourself. Buy a $10 drill operated pump and a couple bucks worth of fittings from the hardware store. Napa sells the pumps. You will need a couple adapters to go from the hose bib connections on the pump to screw into the oil drain hose and adapt to a hose on the outlet side (guess you could cut the end off an old garden hose too).
I can buy oil, oil filter, ATF and a fuel filter for my '96 for less than $40. Takes about an hour to do. Less time than towing it to the shop and picking it up!
For the trans, I stick a hose from the pump down as far into the trans as I can get it. Suck out all you can and replace teh fluid. If it's real dirty fluid, do this several times and you'l have 99% new fluid in there. If the fluid's clean, just do it once and you're set.
Oil, connect to the drain hose and pump away! Make sure the jug you're pumping into will hold more than 4 qts, or have 2 handy. Change filter, easy.
Fuel filter, don't know where they're located on an '01, but s/b pretty easy. I have a little cup handy to catch the gas when lossening the filter line(s), then stuff a rag under it to catch drips.
Lube the rudder and steering cable too! If you pull up the rear floor section. (On mine, take out the screws and fold up the floor against the motor box). There's 2 or 3 grease zerks. 1 on the rudder and 1 or 2 on the steering cable. Give thema coupel squirts each. Done.

bigmac
05-04-2009, 12:35 PM
The value of doing one's own boat maintenance will vary from person to person. Some people begrudge spending the money, some people love tinkering with their boat. On the other hand, some people don't have the time, knowledge, or inclination and are equally satisfied by paying someone to do the work for them. Me...I change my own oil and filter because I can do it all in about 1/2 hour while it's sitting in the boat lift. For everything else anymore these days, including detailing and winterization, I take it to the dealer and pay HIM to do it

ivectoryou
05-26-2009, 01:18 PM
I called a local boat center and was quoted $300 to change the oil and tranny fluid plus install a new oil filter and fuel filter. Our boat is a 2001 MC Prostar 195.

That sounded quite high to us, so I called the closest Mastercraft Dealer (2 hour drive North from Eugene, OR) and was quoted $135 for the same service.

I called the local center back to say ***? At first he sounded like he didn't know what to say and then said a direct drive would be $179 for the stated service and that he must have quoted me the V-drive price.

I told him that was "quite dissapointing" that he quoted me the V-drive price when he specifically asked me if it was a V-drive or direct-drive immediately prior to giving me the first outrageous quote.

My gut feeling is that I was intentionally being gouged/taken advantage of and even though I am going to go with them to save me a two-hour drive, I'm now also apprehensive about the service I might receive.

I would like to know if $179 is a reasonable price.

I'm obviously not that experienced when it comes to boat maintenance. I've just learned that it's better to have these services done at the end of boating season as opposed to now. The boat is stored in a fairly warm and completely dry garage all winter long.

As a follow-up to my original post, I went ahead and took the boat in to this dealer/mechanic and went he went to ring me up, he tried AGAIN to charge me $300. I said "no" and he said "yes." Next I reminded him about our phone conversation where he agreed to $179 (after I told him how high is original quote was and how much everyone else charges, he claimed he was mistakenly quoting me for a V-drive in the original high quote...which I doubted because the fact that is last question to me prior to the quote was "is it a V-drive or Direct-drive?
) I was a little surprised that a boat mechanic with any experience would ask me that question after I told him it was a 2001 Mastercraft Prostar 195.

Anyway, back to the follow-up story. I had to remind him about our phone conversation and then he said "oh-yeah, I forgot." He then changed my charges to $179.00. At this point I told him that as a customer, it was a little disappointing to TWICE have him try to charge me close to twice as much as he should have. It went downhill from there because each excuse/fib he told me didn't make sense and I when I debunked each line of b.s. he gave me with a valid reason why it wasn't truthful, he fianally just said "maybe you should take your business to Mastercraft then." I wasn't being a "hot-head" or a jerk to him, but I felt it necessary to not let him lie to me. He never once apologized for the confusion, he just kept giving me a different reason that made no sense.

The owner of this business has no clue that this situation happened between me and the mechanic. I am not going to name the business until I have talked with the owner. If the owner is just as unprofessional, I will have no problem posting the name of the business here, but I don't want to affect his business in this tough times until he has had a chance to hear my complaint.

However, I don't trust this mechanic and therefore I can't have him working on our boat.

Once again, thanks for all the good feedback provided to me. It saved us quite a bit of money.

bigmac
05-26-2009, 01:45 PM
..when I debunked each line of b.s. he gave me with a valid reason why it wasn't truthful, he fianally just said "maybe you should take your business to Mastercraft then." I wasn't being a "hot-head" or a jerk to him, but I felt it necessary to not let him lie to me. He never once apologized for the confusion, he just kept giving me a different reason that made no sense.

Bingo! That's the point where I would have asked to see the owner to explain why I wasn't going to bring any more business to him.