PDA

View Full Version : Another senseless death

milkmania
05-19-2005, 02:03 AM
Pit Bull Kills Toddler in West Virginia

By Associated Press

May 18, 2005, 8:48 PM EDT

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. -- A pit bull that bit a neighbor last week fatally mauled a young girl before being subdued by firefighters using a fire extinguisher, officials said.

Two-year-old Arianna Fleeman was pronounced dead at a hospital following the attack Tuesday at the home of dog owner Donald Brewer, police said.

"The girl, her mother and at least two other people were apparently hanging out on the house's porch," Sgt. Dan Underwood said. "The homeowner apparently told them all to stay out of the house where the dog was."

Underwood said the toddler was attacked by the dog, named Brutus, after following her mother toward the kitchen. Afterward, Brewer "wanted rid of the dog," Underwood said.

On Wednesday, Brewer signed paperwork to have the dog euthanized, The Herald-Dispatch of Huntington reported.

The attack occurred inside the house, Mayor David Felinton said. Huntington firefighter Jason Price said the dog was wild-eyed and the hair on the back of its neck was raised, and that it rammed the door like a bull.

"Hollywood couldn't have made this dog look more evil," he said.

The girl's mother, Brittany Fleeman, tried to fend off the dog and was hospitalized with injuries to her hands, a relative said.

Eric Mason, who lives on the same street as the pit bull's owner, said the dog bit him last week.

Brewer had posted several "beware of dog" signs and was keeping the dog inside the house because it had previously bitten another person, said Debbie Young, office manager for Huntington-Cabell-Wayne Animal Control.

"A lot of people are under the impression that once they put those warning signs, they are in the clear. ... They are responsible for that animal," Young said.

Felinton said the city has ordinances requiring pit bulls, Rottweilers and wolf-dog hybrids to be muzzled when they are outside. But because the attack took place inside the house, "there's not much the city can do," he said.

No charges had been filed by late Wednesday, authorities said. Copyright 2005 Newsday Inc.

here's my story of shooting my neighbor's pit bull in 2004:mad:
http://www.writeonrice.com/dog.htm

jimmer2880
05-19-2005, 07:55 AM
As an owner of a "beware of dog" sign, I have to say "what was the mother thinking". I don't blame the dog or it's owner for this one, rather the mother of the 2 year old. The owner told them to stay out of the house. So - what does the mother do - goes into the freakin house! The 2 year old does what all 2 year olds do - follow mommy or daddy.

I have a "beware of dog" sign because my damnation bit a friend of ours. She let herself into our trailer to get a spit-cloth (she & her mom were watching our then infant for :15 minutes). But - unfortunately, my dog is very protective, even if he knows you when nobody is home. No serious injury occured (barely broke the skin, but it did get infected, so a hospital visit & required police visit to our house). The police ruled it a justified bite and we don't have any restrictions on our dog. It's been 2 years now & I still think about putting him down about once a week "just in case". The biggest reason why I don't is because he is so protective. Absolutely gives me piece of mind knowing he'll protect the family till the last ounce of blood leaves his vaines.

We tell everyone not to enter if the sign is up, no joke, he WILL bite.

Ramble ramble ramble.

my point is - just because you THINK you know the dog, doesn't mean you KNOW what he'll do when the owner isn't around. OBEY THE FREAKIN SIGN!

Andrť
05-19-2005, 08:17 AM
Thinking of getting a sign for my dog:
"BEWARE,I'm a Lab.Got a tongue and know how to use it "

jsonova99
05-19-2005, 08:27 AM

I was thinking about "BEWARE, border collie will steal frisbees from children"

H20skeefreek
05-19-2005, 08:52 AM
I just don't understand the logic in keeping and animal with these tendencies. Pit Bulls, no question, should be illegal. No one will ever convince me otherwise. The biggest problems is that I've never seen an intelligent person who own's a pit. It's only the uneducated white/black trash that own these animals. If you need protection that bad, maybe you should move. If I ever become a politician, I will fight to the death to make these animals illegal to own.

bcampbe7
05-19-2005, 09:27 AM

No joke Andrť! Everyone is afraid of our lab. They all ask if she bites, and I explain that she would rather taste than bite. My dog comes from a strong hunting line and has the soft mouth.

Ron Grover
05-19-2005, 10:00 AM
You need to be careful around my Golden. She may beat you to death with her wagging tail

jsonova99
05-19-2005, 10:00 AM
my dog loves people, and she generally likes other dogs unless she's playing frisbee. If another dog comes up to her while she's playing frisbee, she will go at them to scare them away. I keep trying to break her of this, but she just won't stop, she has OCD when it comes to frisbee. I guess it's that focus on the task at hand that border collies are known for.

lakes Rick
05-19-2005, 11:37 AM
A long long time ago, the EX and I had some property in the country. You could not see our driveway, as it came up to the side of our home, not the front.. MANY times we would hear a car horn honk, letting us know someone had driven up to see us.. See, they would not get out as two Great Danes would be looking, one on each side of the car, in at the people.. And I mean looking straight in over the window sill of the car... Bonnie and Clyde were not mean, just very protective.

The Basketball coach one time was playing one on one with my oldest boy in my driveway.. Bonnie thought he was a bit rough with "her' kid and came up, grabbed the coach with her mouth, and pulled him away from my son.. Not hard, no bites, just a very large mouthing and a tug.. Never was robbed either......

Leroy
05-19-2005, 11:45 AM
HA HA! Our lab injures more with her tail!

bcampbe7
05-19-2005, 11:50 AM
A long long time ago, the EX and I had some property in the country. You could not see our driveway, as it came up to the side of our home, not the front.. MANY times we would hear a car horn honk, letting us know someone had driven up to see us.. See, they would not get out as two Great Danes would be looking, one on each side of the car, in at the people.. And I mean looking straight in over the window sill of the car... Bonnie and Clyde were not mean, just very protective.

The Basketball coach one time was playing one on one with my oldest boy in my driveway.. Bonnie thought he was a bit rough with "her' kid and came up, grabbed the coach with her mouth, and pulled him away from my son.. Not hard, no bites, just a very large mouthing and a tug.. Never was robbed either......

My brother had a Great Dane. Those are awesome dogs. Can be very intimidating though.

jsonova99
05-19-2005, 11:53 AM
My brother had a Great Dane. Those are awesome dogs. Can be very intimidating though.

My girlfriend's sister has one, it's the sweetest dog, but dumb as a rock

mgurley
05-19-2005, 11:59 AM
I have a german shepard that is the absolute best dog I have ever had. He is very gentle yet very protective. He has neve bitten anyone, and he is great with children (my kids just love him). What I am trying to say is don't judge a breed by one occurance. I would say you need to judge on a case by case basis. No I am not defending pit bulls either, I personally do not like those dogs. But more often than not it is the owner that shapes the attitude and temperment of the dog and not the dog itself.

mgurley
05-19-2005, 12:01 PM
I have this posted in the pets thread but here he is again.

mgurley
05-19-2005, 12:02 PM
One of him and my little girl!

River Rat
05-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Years ago when my oldest son Dustin was 2 or 3 (he is 18 now) he went to daycare with a friends boy, same age and name. One day he was playing in his grandmotherís back yard when the family dog mauled him to death. This was a old pit bull that they said was a big lap dog, and never hurt anyone. We still run into her from time to time and if you could see the look in her eyes when she looks at Dustin it would change the minds of people who think these dogs never hurt anybody. We have 2 pits on out street and the first time they get loose and come my way it will be their last. I donít understand how people can keep aggressive dogs around kids, If YOUR FAMILY NEEDS THAT MUCH PROTECTION YOU NEED TO MOVE! No childís life (mine or someone elseís ) is worth the material things in my home. Bottom line there is no justification.

OBEY THE FREAKIN SIGN! What if the child canít read? There have been several times neighbor kids have walked into my house without knocking. You stop them and explain to them what they can and canít do but itís not something they should get bitten for. Of course they know there is not a dangerous dog in my house to.

In all fairness this is mostly directed at pit bulls or Chow. But I feel once any dog has bitten someone there is nothing to say he wont do it again, and how would you feel knowing your dog tore up a kids hand for going inside to get a spitwipe?
:twocents:

CoFooter
05-19-2005, 01:39 PM
This is a very timely thread. We just put our two year old Akita down yesterday because of his aggressiveness. He was extremely friendly and gentle to our family and our close friends - kids, adults, whatever. He was very protective of us. He did not take to strangers, and unfortunately other kids he did not know. He first bit a child, a frind of my daughters about a year ago. The kids were rough housing, so we were concerned, but thought their behavior was due to the excitement at the time. As time went, on he didn't change toward strangers, though, we kept him confined to the house, and away from them. We tried training, shock collars, everything to get him to try to be more predictable. The other day, unprovoked, he bit another child, not a major injury, but a bite nonetheless. At that point, we decided to put him down. It ripped apart our family because he was such a good dog to us, but it was really what we thought was best. I couldn't live with the thought of him getting out and biting or hurting another person, especially a child. We've had other Akita's that were great dogs, and great with strangers, kids, babies, etc. Unfortunately, this was not the case with this particular one. People who know their dog has a problem and ignore it need to be dealt with because the results can be tragic as is the message that started this thread.

Dan K
05-19-2005, 02:17 PM
I hesitated to chime in on this thread, but when our dog was around a year old she bit a child enough to break the skin. I immediately taught her that human flesh in her mouth meant severe pain. I whooped her like she never knew. From then on our dog never came close to biting again, sadly she passed away last year at nearly 18 years old.

So I guess I believe any dog should get a chance, but it takes a responsible owner to give them that chance. Clearly in the West Virginia toddler case the owner isn't very responsible. Simply putting up a sign is not corrective action.

jayocheskey
05-19-2005, 02:33 PM
As you can see from my Avatar, I own a terribly ferrocious lab.

djhuff
05-19-2005, 02:39 PM
lakes Rick, some friends of mine had two labs one yellow, one black that were named Bonnie and Clyde. Bonnie died at 3 yrs old, Clyde has never been the same.

end hijack

tex
05-19-2005, 02:51 PM
Cofooter-Tough decision. My heart goes out to you. I have been lucky. I have an 11 year old dalmation. Kids always want to play with him. He has snapped a few times but never really bitten. His tail has always been the most dangerous. He(Jimmy Buffett)is getting old enough that we will have to make a "quality of life" decision in the next year. I do not look forward to it.

lakes Rick
05-19-2005, 02:55 PM
lakes Rick, some friends of mine had two labs one yellow, one black that were named Bonnie and Clyde. Bonnie died at 3 yrs old, Clyde has never been the same.

end hijack

The EX named ours...... She was related to the Texas Ranger, Frank Hamer, who planned and help shoot Bonnie and Clyde in their car.. I am glad I do not have to hear her tell that story anymore....

jimmer2880
05-19-2005, 02:56 PM
OBEY THE FREAKIN SIGN! What if the child canít read? There have been several times neighbor kids have walked into my house without knocking. You stop them and explain to them what they can and canít do but itís not something they should get bitten for. Of course they know there is not a dangerous dog in my house to.....

In all fairness this is mostly directed at pit bulls or Chow. But I feel once any dog has bitten someone there is nothing to say he wont do it again, and how would you feel knowing your dog tore up a kids hand for going inside to get a spitwipe?
:twocents:

It's simple. He was doing his job. Any person who can't read, should be with a RESPONSIBLE adult when entering a house that's not their's anyway. What if I didn't put the outlet cover back on? What if they turn the stove on & burn their hands. You see - to me, it's all the same. The dog did what is his job to do.

I don't live in the 'hood, or in a bad neighborhood. My weekend place borders the C&O canal. A National Park. As with any national park, there are people who get abducted, etc in the park. Knock on wood, none within 10 miles of us - YET. I did have a female jogger friend of mine who had a stalker though. Since all the rest of the property is 3-4x what I pay - it's simply not an option. Besides... IT'S MY PROPERTY - STAY OUT!

He was vicious in tone, but the bite was a warning snap that happened to break the skin. Don't get me wrong, he'll get a very quick case of lead poisening the second he bites someone he shouldn't have.

The "kid" was 14 and knew better. Her mom was in the process of telling her not to go in when she went through the door like she owned it. They are still good friends of ours and in no way think the dog did something it shouldn't have. In fact, when she went to the hospital & they asked for dog info, she said that she didn't know the dog. But - when they then said she'd have to get all those shots to treat rabis, she reluctantly did the right thing & said it was our dog.

Why is this country full of people who can't obey warning signs & blame someone else when something goes bad? How many teak surfing warning stickers do we need?

CoFooter
05-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Tex, I've always wanted to honor a dog with the name J.B. If there is a next time, that will be the name. By the way, my last dog lived to 12 years. In a lot of ways, that was a lot tougher to deal with than this. Thanks for your thoughts.

rodltg2
05-19-2005, 03:31 PM
alot of people are terrified of my doggy but he is sweet and all he wants to do is lick and cuddle. never growled or bit someone. he is afraid of my moms bichon frise. alot of people say that its the way you bring up the dog , but i think pit bulls are evil and crazy. people try and bring them to the dog park i go to and they always cause problems. whether its with other dogs or people.

sammy big baby..

River Rat
05-19-2005, 03:41 PM
?? Dog Park?? :confused:

BTW nice looking dog!

bcampbe7
05-19-2005, 03:50 PM
alot of people are terrified of my doggy but he is sweet and all he wants to do is lick and cuddle. never growled or bit someone. he is afraid of my moms bichon frise. alot of people say that its the way you bring up the dog , but i think pit bulls are evil and crazy. people try and bring them to the dog park i go to and they always cause problems. whether its with other dogs or people.

sammy big baby..

That Rotty is just a pup, isn't he Rod? He's going to be a big dog!

RackAtak
05-19-2005, 04:54 PM
I have a Bull Terrier, a breed that is banned in many cities because of the "bull" in her breed name. Mine happens to be a knucklehead who absolutely loves people. She is agressive with other dogs, but not to the point of being vicious. She just likes to be boss dog around other dogs.

I also have a friend who breeds and raises Staffordshire Bull Terriers and he used to bring them to little league games where they acted as jungle gyms for the kids. Never showed an agressive behavior...ever.

Bull breeds and others such as Rotts have a bad reputation because of bad owners and nothing else.

Bull breeds raised by the right people are known to be especially kind to humans and here's why... back in the 18th and 19th century when these dogs were regularly thrown into the "pit" to fight, the owner had to be able to grab their dog and pull them from the pit if they the need arose. That is why they are generally people dogs and not "dog" dogs. I suggest doing some research on the breeds before painting them all with the "V" for vicious. Bad poeple raise bad dogs. My two centavos... :cool:

RackAtak
05-19-2005, 04:57 PM
edit delete

AirJunky
05-19-2005, 05:12 PM
?? Dog Park?? :confused:
Yep, big in yuppy towns, specifically on the west coast. Parks dedicated to allowing the dogs to run off leash. Their all over Seattle, Portland, Bay area. Haven't seen them anywhere else though.

milkmania
05-19-2005, 05:15 PM
I hope everyone got a chance to read the link in the bottom of my first post....

I didn't start this thread because of the bad reputation/ name of the Pit Bull Terrier. I started it because my neighbor is irresponsible "white trash" as someone mentioned.

I have a 2 acre "front yard" that is mowed weekly, and my children cannot go out and play without adult supervision. they won't even go out to the truck to get something out for me. We live in the country!!!

my beef is not with the breed at all... it's the inbreeders that raise them.

someone mentioned conscience of know your dog had hurt someone.
these people don't care and they will tell you.

my rule here is we will not raise a puppy/dog until we have a chain link fence... need approx. 900 feet of it to enclose our properly.

my other neighbor has told me that if any of his hound dogs bothered any of my family, he'd take care of the dog himself, and he loves his dogs!

again, it's not the dogs, it's the owners

tex
05-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Yep, big in yuppy towns, specifically on the west coast. Parks dedicated to allowing the dogs to run off leash. Their all over Seattle, Portland, Bay area. Haven't seen them anywhere else though.

We actually have one here in FW. and we are about as far from Yuppy as it gets!

River Rat
05-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Yes I did read your link and I have to say you have more respect for their pets than I would. What you need is a quieter gun not a bigger one. Those dogs should be shot after the first time they chase your kids not the next time.

AirJunky
05-19-2005, 05:30 PM
I'd have to agree. If the dogs are chasing your kids in their own yard, it's time to start protecting your family...... at the dog's expense if needed!

As for dog parks in FW, Tex, I thought those were pastures..... and those "dogs" were actually cows! :uglyhamme

River Rat
05-19-2005, 05:35 PM

The dog that killed Dustin was 5 to 6 years old raised by an older couple that treated it as a lap dog. Most of the time it is how the dog was raised, but not always.

tex
05-19-2005, 06:03 PM
I used to have a girlfriend that tried to turn a catahoula into a house dog. The dog eventually went crazy. It bit the chit out of me twice and attacked the other dog(mutt)several times. We consulted an expert and they claimed that the dog was bored and went nuts since it was not "working". She finally gave it away to a rancher. The funny part was that the mutt would kick it's ars every time that it attacked!

H20skeefreek
05-19-2005, 06:14 PM
The dog that killed Dustin was 5 to 6 years old raised by an older couple that treated it as a lap dog. Most of the time it is how the dog was raised, but not always.

That's right. You can not argue that it's all in the raising of the dog. Way too many instances of pit's killing/mauling kids are situations where the owners are upstanding citizens and yes, the dog is a "big sweety". Though I've only read stories like this, never seen it in real life. Pit's were bread to fight, kill and mame. End of story. I don't care how a particular dog has been raised, it's a killer inside.

BriEOD
05-19-2005, 06:19 PM
I just don't understand the logic in keeping and animal with these tendencies. Pit Bulls, no question, should be illegal. No one will ever convince me otherwise. The biggest problems is that I've never seen an intelligent person who own's a pit. It's only the uneducated white/black trash that own these animals. If you need protection that bad, maybe you should move. If I ever become a politician, I will fight to the death to make these animals illegal to own.

I agree with you.

RackAtak
05-19-2005, 06:25 PM
edit delete

lakes Rick
05-19-2005, 11:50 PM
We actually have one here in FW. and we are about as far from Yuppy as it gets!

I agree with you, here in Eugene OR, its HIPPIE..... or liberal do gooder......

Leroy
05-20-2005, 12:10 AM
I say, hold the owners responsible. Your dog kills someone, you get tried for murder. I get very nervous if I see one with my kids around. I think any parent that hears pit bull and you are with your baby you tense up. You never hear of a lab killing/mauling a kid. All breeds have certain traits.

That's right. You can not argue that it's all in the raising of the dog. Way too many instances of pit's killing/mauling kids are situations where the owners are upstanding citizens and yes, the dog is a "big sweety". Though I've only read stories like this, never seen it in real life. Pit's were bread to fight, kill and mame. End of story. I don't care how a particular dog has been raised, it's a killer inside.

H20skeefreek
05-20-2005, 08:39 AM
I say, hold the owners responsible. Your dog kills someone, you get tried for murder. I get very nervous if I see one with my kids around. I think any parent that hears pit bull and you are with your baby you tense up. You never hear of a lab killing/mauling a kid. All breeds have certain traits.
yeah, but why have someone die first. how 'bout we just get rid of all of that breed, and others that have been bread from the beginning for fighting.

Though I disagree, about the Lab thing. I have heard a story of a Lab killing a child, but that dog had been beaten and learned to be viscous. BUT, those stories are rare. Those are the instances where you need to hold the owner responsible, but with a pit, you are playing with fire if you own one, and there is MUCH to high a risk that you will be burned.

erkoehler
05-20-2005, 08:43 AM
It is unfortunate that it takes a situation like this for somebody to learn to control their animals :mad:

jsonova99
05-20-2005, 08:45 AM
I actually heard a statistic once that Golden retrievers actually are involved in more dog biting incidents than any other dog, not deaths, just dog bites overall. I don't remember what the source was or how accurate that is, but it was interesting. Every golden I have ever met was a sweetheart so I don't know if I personally believe this myself. Anybody heard anything similar?

I personally love my border collie, and I don't think I would ever switch breeds. She's an all-around athlete and is adaptable to anything you throw at her. All they want to do is please their master. Absolute sweetheart that loves to cuddle up in bed with you. Plus, living in a smaller house, having a dog around 40 pounds is nice, although they can shed quite a bit.

Davo
05-20-2005, 09:46 AM
Milkmania, I read your story and I don't blame you one bit. Some people don't deserve to own pets and he sounds like one of them.

milkmania
05-20-2005, 10:49 AM
this is not a threat, but if one of his dogs kills one of my children....

my well being and safety are no longer a concern.

I've watched too many Bruce Willis movies8p

Footin
05-20-2005, 11:01 AM
Yippie-ki-aaaa!!!

Davo
05-20-2005, 11:09 AM
I hear you loud and clear.

Ha...the movie where Bruce plays a cop protecting the football player (Damon Wayans?) comes to mind. Can't think of the name, but it was classic Willis.

BTW, what football team does your son play for? j/k That's a big boy!

River Rat
05-20-2005, 11:27 AM
The last Boy Scout (saw it again on TV a few days ago) :headbang: Good flik.

lakes Rick
05-20-2005, 11:50 AM
The last Boy Scout (saw it again on TV a few days ago) :headbang: Good flik.

Yeah but Halle Berry died too early... She is one healthy specimen...

jimmer2880
05-23-2005, 07:33 AM
I hope everyone got a chance to read the link in the bottom of my first post....

I didn't start this thread because of the bad reputation/ name of the Pit Bull Terrier. I started it because my neighbor is irresponsible "white trash" as someone mentioned.

I have a 2 acre "front yard" that is mowed weekly, and my children cannot go out and play without adult supervision. they won't even go out to the truck to get something out for me. We live in the country!!!

my beef is not with the breed at all... it's the inbreeders that raise them.

someone mentioned conscience of know your dog had hurt someone.
these people don't care and they will tell you.

my rule here is we will not raise a puppy/dog until we have a chain link fence... need approx. 900 feet of it to enclose our properly.

my other neighbor has told me that if any of his hound dogs bothered any of my family, he'd take care of the dog himself, and he loves his dogs!

Milk,

I had not read the link. But, just did. Thank you for posting. That is an absolutely horrible experience. I pray that your neighbor will move soon.

I started it because my neighbor is irresponsible "white trash" as someone mentioned.

It is truely amazing how some people just don't get it. Not just with Dogs either. My in-laws are white trash, although, not nearly as bad as it sounds like your neighbors are. They have no clue on what responsibility means.

That's what I have told my neighbors also. I don't have a fence, live in the country, but my dogs aren't out without supervision.

I'm not going to argue that breed does/does not matter. I still haven't made up my mind on that one as all breeds have an instinct to do something. For my Field Spaniel mut - it's pointing. Labs - retrieving. My Dalmation - running. However, I do know people with some of the "vicious" dogs who are as kind and gentle as a Lab. Like I said - I haven't made up my mind on that. But, 1 thing I do know for sure. A bad owner can make even the kindest dog in the world a real danger.

It's a shame that you can't take your neighbor to court to loose their "dog ownership" ability. For that matter - I hope they don't have kids either.

milkmania
06-04-2005, 05:33 PM
looks like the family pet got another one:rant:

12-Year-Old S.F. Boy Killed by Pit Bull

By GREG SANDOVAL
Associated Press Writer

June 4, 2005, 11:22 AM EDT

SAN FRANCISCO -- A boy was fatally mauled in a pit bull attack at his home Friday, authorities said. Police killed one of two dogs in the house, and captured the second.

The attack occurred in the city's Sunset District, about a block from Golden Gate Park, according to San Francisco Fire Lt. Bill Wickliffe.

Authorities got a frantic 911 call from an unidentified woman.

"She was yelling and screaming," Wickliffe said.

A police officer shot to death a fawn-colored female pit bull when it wouldn't allow the officer to enter the apartment, said Police Sgt. Neville Gittens.

A second pit bull, a male, was found inside the apartment and captured, he said. The dogs weighed about 80 pounds each, according to Gittens.

Neighbors said the dogs were pets of the boy's family.

No one was taken into custody. Detectives "are conducting a homicide investigation," said Police Chief Heather Fong.

Neighbor Aaron Vinnick, 11, said the victim -- described as either 11 or 12 -- lived in the apartment with his parents, brother and sister, and the two dogs.

Asked about the dogs' behavior, Vinnick replied: "Sometimes nice, sometimes mean."

San Francisco has seen at least one other fatal dog mauling in recent years, the death of Diane Whipple in 2001. She was killed by two 100-pound-plus Presa Canarios in the hallway outside her Pacific Heights apartment. Copyright 2005 Newsday Inc.

captkidd
06-08-2005, 03:49 PM
My sister bought a pit bull because her husband is a paramedic and she's often at home alone. Even though she claims it's just a big lovable puppy, I absolutely refuse to let my 3 y/o son get anywhere close to it. I've already told her that if it even growls at him like it wants to hurt him, the dog's dead. She puts up a big fuss about how sweet the dog is, but now she's pregnant and has already decided to get rid of it. Most of the stories you hear about a dog mauling a child, it's the first time that the dog has shown any aggressive tendencies, but by then it's too late to do anything about it.

milkmania
08-15-2005, 04:06 AM

true to my word.

The wife & kids brought home 2 female miniature housebroken poodles on Friday. 8 months old, one silver and one apricot.
On Saturday afternoon I purchased enough chain link fence to make a nice yard. 150' x 135'....

you know what I'll be doing over the next couple of weeks:(
until that time, the poodles are being kept in a large indoor kennel at night, let out for many hours indoors with supervision, then taken out on leashes several times a day.

all 5 foot tall fence also!:headbang:

milkmania
08-15-2005, 04:10 AM
oh yeah,

I ain't no freakin' poodle type of person:rant::rant::rant:

I want a boxer or a lab:headbang:

phecksel
08-15-2005, 12:21 PM
My sister bought a pit bull because her husband is a paramedic and she's often at home alone. Even though she claims it's just a big lovable puppy, I absolutely refuse to let my 3 y/o son get anywhere close to it. I've already told her that if it even growls at him like it wants to hurt him, the dog's dead. She puts up a big fuss about how sweet the dog is, but now she's pregnant and has already decided to get rid of it. Most of the stories you hear about a dog mauling a child, it's the first time that the dog has shown any aggressive tendencies, but by then it's too late to do anything about it.
My wife and kids were walking the Papillon's (think little). Youngest comes running in yelling, bring the truck down the street, and takes off running back down the street. I have absolutely know idea what's going on, and come outside to see a pit bull "playing" with the next door neighbors sommia(sp?). I have a dilemia, protecting my neighbors dog or finding out what the hell is going on with my family. I take two seconds and squirt the hose at the dog and he takes off. As I pull up to the family, same F* dog is jumping on my wife, who's holding one of our puppy's. I grab the other puppy and try to put it in the truck. Dog tries to get in the truck too. With a solid bare footed kick, it backs up, long enough to give my oldest one of the puppy's. Now it's back far enough to land a solid kick to it's chest, unfortunately not solid enough to injure it, but enough for it to run away. The owner of the house we were in front of, had the kewlest looking weapon, as he came out to help. Multiple balls on strings attached to a handle. Anyway, we filed a report with the police department. Cop thought he knew who the dog belonged to. I warned him, if I EVER see that dog again, it will be dead, no if ands or buts. Nobody was hurt or injured. Youngest and I had a chat about how important it is for me to know the problem, because it would have ended next door. Friend of mine had a similar incident, but he was wearing solid shoes. In his case he collapsed the dogs throat. Owner was crying, "why, he wouldn't hurt you". Yea right, pit bull running towards you growling and barking...

bigmac
08-15-2005, 12:58 PM
Just a couple of weeks ago I ended up taking care of a guy in the ER that had been attacked by two pit bulls

Pit bull attack (http://brainerddispatch.com/cgi-bin/smart_search/cqcgi/@bra_stories.env?CQ_SESSION_KEY=QAXDQLZEQZKW&CQ_QUERY_HANDLE=135007&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=1&CQ_DTF_DOC_TEXT=YES&CQ_DOC_MARKUP_STYLE=7)

Pit bull attack 2 (http://brainerddispatch.com/cgi-bin/smart_search/cqcgi/@bra_stories.env?CQ_SESSION_KEY=PYXXHPYFNBLW&CQ_QUERY_HANDLE=134725&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=2&CQ_DTF_DOC_TEXT=YES&CQ_DOC_MARKUP_STYLE=7)

- he lost so much skin and tissue (and blood) in the attack the I had to ship him by helicopter to a burn unit for grafting. He most definitely would have been killed except for the brave woman who stopped and chased the dogs away. Finally, the county attorney decided to charge the guy with attempted manslaughter.

I own three golden retrievers, but I gotta say I see no redeeming qualities in pit bulls that makes them worth the apparent danger.

milkmania
08-15-2005, 01:20 PM
Just a couple of weeks ago I ended up taking care of a guy in the ER that had been attacked by two pit bulls

Pit bull attack (http://brainerddispatch.com/cgi-bin/smart_search/cqcgi/@bra_stories.env?CQ_SESSION_KEY=QAXDQLZEQZKW&CQ_QUERY_HANDLE=135007&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=1&CQ_DTF_DOC_TEXT=YES&CQ_DOC_MARKUP_STYLE=7)

Pit bull attack 2 (http://brainerddispatch.com/cgi-bin/smart_search/cqcgi/@bra_stories.env?CQ_SESSION_KEY=PYXXHPYFNBLW&CQ_QUERY_HANDLE=134725&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=2&CQ_DTF_DOC_TEXT=YES&CQ_DOC_MARKUP_STYLE=7)

- he lost so much skin and tissue (and blood) in the attack the I had to ship him by helicopter to a burn unit for grafting. He most definitely would have been killed except for the brave woman who stopped and chased the dogs away. Finally, the county attorney decided to charge the guy with attempted manslaughter.

I own three golden retrievers, but I gotta say I see no redeeming qualities in pit bulls that makes them worth the apparent danger.

thank you

and that women definately saved that man's life

bigmac
08-15-2005, 01:49 PM
thank you

and that women definately saved that man's life

I've seen a lot of horrifying stuff in 20 years of being a surgeon, but this was one of the worst.

X2M
08-15-2005, 01:51 PM
Milk - I totally understand where you are coming from and agree with you.

I have a very large mutt (100 lbs Lab/Sharpei/?? mix) that is the family dog. I walk him everyday and have been chased and attacked by dogs in the neighborhood several times. Vacaville has a very strict leash law. But people still don't seem to get it. I now take with me a 2 1/2 foot closet dowel on our walks. That gets their attention real quick. I have smacked a couple of dogs up-side the head with that and they stop and run the other way. I shouldn't have to carry a weapon with me and it really irks me that these people just don't care.

A couple of weeks a go I was walking my normal route and a very large Rott mix came across the street at us and was trying to get at my dog. After all was done the owners said he was just wanting to play. HELLO!?! A dog does not want to play if he charges you with his head down, hair on his back standing on end, teeth bared and growling. THAT IS NOT A SIGN OF PLAYING you idiot!!

There should be a personality/stupidity test given before pet adoption. Maybe that would help the problem some.

:)

captkidd
08-15-2005, 02:59 PM
There should be a personality/stupidity test given before pet adoption. Maybe that would help the problem some.

:)

While I totally agree with you, I have to ask, "Why, you don't need one in order to become a parent?"

Scot
08-15-2005, 04:05 PM
I find it interesting to hear people say, "the dog was just doing their job". I'm pressing the BS button on that one. If this were the case, why is it the 2 year old gets it, and not the adult? In most every pit bull attack you hear of a young child or an elderly woman that is the victim, and yes I AM slamming the breed. Had it been almost any other type of breed, the kid might have been bitten, thatís itÖ. Not killedÖ

These dogs are nothing other than ignorant unintelligent bullies that prey on the weak, and in many cases, just like their derelict owners. And yes I AM slamming the owners too. If they are just "protecting" their turf, then why is it that many of these attacks happen when the dog escapes from their happy loving home? Hey, is there a similarity when their owners leave the house and wreak havoc on society?

Having a sign warning people doesnít make it ďOKĒ and resolve you of any consequences. It's not the childs fault. It's the fault of the owner who desires to have a dog that is know for their killing capabilities.

bcampbe7
08-15-2005, 04:22 PM
A local County here in Tennessee just banned Pit Bull ownership. I thought it was a great idea.

I have a 3 year old yellow lab. She is not aggressive in the least bit but will let me know when someone is in the driveway or yard. Oh, and she loves the MC!

stevo137
08-15-2005, 04:29 PM
Pit Bulls.
It seems like there is always someone who owns one that says what a sweetie theirs is.
I say ban the beasts!

milkmania
08-15-2005, 05:22 PM
A local County here in Tennessee just banned Pit Bull ownership. I thought it was a great idea.

please help me find the council that incporated it...
I would like to contact them to find what I may be able to do for our county.

I don't know if it's County Commissioners that incorporate it.
My wife has just began to work for a local attorney that rotates being a Judge in other small municipalities. and he's been our attorney since the early 80's. He may offer some insight.
I also have a close friendship with our local Oklahoma State Senator Kenneth Corn. He made a large contribution to Our K-9 Drug Dog fundraiser along with another state Representative.

I am very passionate about controlling this breed

bigmac
08-15-2005, 05:46 PM
please help me find the council that incporated it...
I would like to contact them to find what I may be able to do for our county.

I don't know if it's County Commissioners that incorporate it.
My wife has just began to work for a local attorney that rotates being a Judge in other small municipalities. and he's been our attorney since the early 80's. He may offer some insight.
I also have a close friendship with our local Oklahoma State Senator Kenneth Corn. He made a large contribution to Our K-9 Drug Dog fundraiser along with another state Representative.

I am very passionate about controlling this breed

You've seen this (http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=975154&page=1)haven't you...?

milkmania
08-15-2005, 05:58 PM
You've seen this (http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=975154&page=1)haven't you...?

yes, I had seen that at newsday.com and was discouraged that so many were outraged:(

here's a death story I've saved since it happened....
although this lady was not elderly
http://www.writeonrice.com/Woman_Killed.htm

mastercraft1995
08-15-2005, 07:29 PM
Here is a link that talks about dog bites.

http://www.dogexpert.com/HomePage/DogBiteStatistics.html

JEREMY79
08-16-2005, 11:25 AM

Some people are nuts. I dont really like pit bulls. but hey some people do. Just because they are not my favorite breed, I'm not gonna kill them.

They would have to kill me before they got the dog. :twocents:

AirJunky
08-23-2005, 07:42 PM
Yet another thinning of the herd over the weekend to be blamed on those "dangerous" ski boats.

Risky "teak surfing" blamed in lake death (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002449213_surfing23m.html)

mpmartin
08-24-2005, 07:47 PM
I have two parts to this post.
Part 1 I have been a firefighter for over twenty years now and there are very few calls that stay with me. Except for the one where we went to a dog bite call and found a 6yo boy that had been mauled by a pit bull. His father put this lifeless boys body in my arms and said "don't let his mother see him". As we waighted for CareFlight we removed his jacket and shirt to find hunreds of small bruses where the dog had bitten him. One large bite killed the child. The grandfather of the child was a firefighter too and I knew him and his son. The dog was a pitbull ***** in heat with two other males in the back yard. The father and grandfather were taking up for the dogs. Ten years later I have yet to speak to the father or the grand father.
Part 2 I work part time in our dispatch office. And evrey shift , yes evry shift i get at least one call of a pit bull chaseing someone or some person scared that these type of dogs will hurt them. I think we must do something with these dogs.

milkmania
11-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Texas Woman Mauled to Death by Six Dogs

By Associated Press

November 27, 2005, 5:20 PM EST

THORNDALE, Texas -- A pack of six dogs mauled a 76-year-old woman to death as she worked in her yard, authorities said.

Lillian Loraine Stiles was riding on a lawn mower in her front yard Saturday when she was confronted by the dogs, described as pit bull-rottweiler mixed breeds, said Milam County Sheriff Charlie West.

Investigators think Stiles was attacked when she got off the mower and headed into her house.

Stiles had severe bites over her entire body, and a man who tried to help her was bitten on one leg, authorities said.

The dogs were found at the home of Stiles' neighbor, Jose Hernandez.

The sheriff's department will send the findings of its investigation to the Milam County District Attorney's Office, which will decide if any criminal charges will be filed against Hernandez.

Thorndale is located about 70 miles west of College Station.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-27-2005, 11:37 PM
In the past two weeks, I think there have been 6 reports of these pitbull attacks here within 50 mile radius.

jmyers
11-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Texas Woman Mauled to Death by Six Dogs

By Associated Press

November 27, 2005, 5:20 PM EST

THORNDALE, Texas -- A pack of six dogs mauled a 76-year-old woman to death as she worked in her yard, authorities said.

Lillian Loraine Stiles was riding on a lawn mower in her front yard Saturday when she was confronted by the dogs, described as pit bull-rottweiler mixed breeds, said Milam County Sheriff Charlie West.

Investigators think Stiles was attacked when she got off the mower and headed into her house.

Stiles had severe bites over her entire body, and a man who tried to help her was bitten on one leg, authorities said.

The dogs were found at the home of Stiles' neighbor, Jose Hernandez.

The sheriff's department will send the findings of its investigation to the Milam County District Attorney's Office, which will decide if any criminal charges will be filed against Hernandez.

Thorndale is located about 70 miles west of College Station.
I think I would have stayed on the lawnmower, and ridin it right into the house mowing over a few dogs in the process!!! :eek:

Hoff1
11-28-2005, 03:30 PM
2 fatalities in Kentucky this month from dog attacks. Not sure of the breed, but I think they were pit bulls or rotts.

http://www.dogexpert.com/FatalDogAttacks/fataldogattacks.html

stevo137
11-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Pit Bulls.
ELIMINATE THE BEASTS!

roddydog
11-28-2005, 05:06 PM
Pit Bulls.
ELIMINATE THE BEASTS!
Banned up here. Couldn't agree more. We don't need them.
My Border-Collie-Husky is 15 this winter and has NEVER (Can I be more clear? NEVER) shown any aggression to a person and has only fought with a dog that has been aggressive to her. She is moving pretty slowly these days and it'll be a sad day at my place when her time has come. :(

milkmania
11-29-2005, 09:39 PM
update:

Charges Against Texas Dog Owner Unlikely

By Associated Press

November 29, 2005, 8:59 AM EST

THORNDALE, Texas -- The six dogs that fatally mauled a 76-year-old woman showed no signs of having been used in fights, and felony charges against their owner are unlikely, authorities said.

Milam County Sheriff Charlie West said Monday that he and District Attorney Kerry Spears were unable to conclude that owner Jose Hernandez committed a felony. But West said a misdemeanor citation was possible against Hernandez, who kept the pit bull-Rottweiler mixed-breed dogs in a pen.

The six dogs attacked Lillian Loraine Stiles on Saturday as she worked in her front yard. She died at the scene; a passer-by who tried to help was bitten. Her husband fatally shot one dog, and the other five were euthanized Monday.

Authorities said Hernandez was cooperating in the investigation and had told officials that his young grandchildren had played with the dogs without incident.

"There are no laws that apply," West told the Austin American-Statesman. "We are still looking, but it is going to be hard to make anybody responsible for it."

"To him, the dogs weren't vicious," West said. "They were just pets."

A veterinarian who examined the dogs said there was no indication of injuries such as cuts or broken bones that would have indicated they had been used for fighting.

Neighbors said they had occasionally seen some of the animals but had never noticed them roaming as a pack.

The euthanized animals had been sent to the Texas Department of State Health Services for rabies and other testing, West said.

Leroy
11-29-2005, 10:31 PM
I think they belong on the list along with tigers and lions of animals that cannot be owned without a license. They are so unpredictable. You hear that time and again.

milkmania
12-04-2005, 06:19 PM
From the Chicago Tribune

Chicago proposal would ban pit bulls

New Chicago proposal would institute strict safeguards on existing dogs of the breed and outlaw residents from buying new ones

By Gary Washburn and Lisa Fleisher
Tribune staff reporters

December 1, 2005

Pit bulls, a breed involved in highly publicized and particularly vicious attacks on people and other animals, eventually would be outlawed in Chicago under a controversial proposal introduced Wednesday.

Pit bulls owned currently by city residents would be able to stay--if their masters comply with a list of required safeguards--but no additional pit bulls could be purchased legally or owned within the city limits.

The city also would crack down on other "dangerous animals," including individual dogs of any breed that have injured a person or other animal without provocation.

Critics question the effectiveness of breed-specific bans, saying laws should target dangerous behavior instead.

"We see no fact that it works," said John Snyder, director of companion animals at the Humane Society of the United States. Effective legislation, he said, "puts the point of pressure on the deed, not the breed."

The measure was introduced by Ald. Virginia Rugai (19th), who has crusaded against dangerous dogs after a pack of pit bulls attacked and killed one woman and seriously injured another in 2003 in Dan Ryan Woods, which is partly in Rugai's Southwest Side ward.

A pit bull attack on two children recently near northwest suburban Cary provided just one more illustration of the need for the ban, Rugai asserted.

Even pit bulls that are family pets with no history of violence, such as those in the Cary attack, can go berserk in an instant, she said. "Why they snap I don't know. This is a unique breed. There is none like it."

Early support appeared to be shaping up for the tough measure.

"How many people have to be maimed?" asked Ald. Isaac Carothers (29th). "How many people have to be killed by these vicious dogs before we take action?"

Though he stopped short of an endorsement, Mayor Richard Daley sounded a similar note.

He mentioned the Dan Ryan Woods episode.

"Isn't that one too many?" he asked. "I think they have to look at [a ban] very carefully. People have responsibilities for dogs."

And if a pit bull is off leash, "You'd better jump on a car," Daley declared. "You'd better get out of the way."

But one Chicago owner said he thinks the proposed legislation unfairly paints all pit bulls with the same brush.

Paul DiPego, 38, has owned an American pit bull terrier for about four years.

Diesel, a gift from his wife's uncle, a dog breeder in Mississippi, is submissive, friendly to people and has never shown any aggression that he knows of, DiPego said.

Pit bulls are very energetic dogs, stronger than others of similar size and seem to have a high threshold for pain--remnants of their breeding as working dogs, he said.

But that breeding also makes them "just want to please their owners," according to DiPego.

Rugai said she believes legal questions that loomed when she proposed an across-the-board ban on pit bulls last year have been resolved.

A 2003 amendment to the state Animal Control Act banned breed-specific controls, said M. Rose Kelly, senior counsel in the city's Law Department. But under the city's home rule powers, the new proposal would be legal, she said.

"I believe if this was challenged, it would be upheld," Kelly said.

Under the proposal, pit bulls are defined as "any American pit bull terrier or Staffordshire bull terrier or American Staffordshire terrier" or any mixed breed containing the blood of any one of them.

A veterinarian would be the judge of breed if a case went to court, Kelly said.

Some dog experts contend that breed-specific bans are ill conceived, arguing that how a dog is raised is a far more important determinant of behavior than the breed.

"A dog's a dog, whether it's a pit bull, Rotweiller, German shepherd," asserted Yessenia Carreon, 23, whose family always has owned pit bulls. "Any dog can attack. It just depends on how they're raised."

Carreon said she's been bitten by four dogs in her life, two of them Chihuahuas.

But a study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American Veterinary Medical Association, which tracked 238 fatal dog attacks on humans between 1979 and 1998, raised concerns about pit bull-type dogs. The research found that the breed was involved in about one-third of the attacks.

Many of the pit bulls in his West Side ward are used as muscle by "gangbangers, drug dealers," Carothers said. Others are raised for illegal fighting, he said

Pit bulls have been outlawed in such cities as Denver and Miami, in Prince George's County, Md., and the Province of Ontario in Canada.

Under Rugai's proposal, pit bulls currently in the city would be required to get microchip implants. In addition to providing information that identifies them, the chips would allow authorities to tell them from "illegal" dogs in the city after the ban takes effect.

Pit bulls also would be required to be sterilized and have a "dangerous animal" license that would help the city keep track of where they are. Besides being required to provide pens when their pit bulls are kept outside, owners also would have to erect fences on the perimeters of their property and put up warning signs.

Similar provisions are proposed for individual animals deemed dangerous.

Moreover, no owner would be allowed to have more than two dangerous animals, including pit bulls, in one household.

Violators of the measure would face fines of up to $1,000, up to 6 months in jail and impoundment of their animals.

Tribune staff reporter Andrew L. Wang contributed to this report

bigmac
12-04-2005, 06:29 PM
From the Chicago Tribune

Chicago proposal would ban pit bulls

New Chicago proposal would institute strict safeguards on existing dogs of the breed and outlaw residents from buying new ones

...snip...

Pit bulls, a breed involved in highly publicized and particularly vicious attacks on people and other animals, eventually would be outlawed in Chicago under a controversial proposal introduced Wednesday.

...snip...

Pit bulls also would be required to be sterilized and have a "dangerous animal" license that would help the city keep track of where they are. Besides being required to provide pens when their pit bulls are kept outside, owners also would have to erect fences on the perimeters of their property and put up warning signs.

I can hear it now..."They'll get my pit bulls when they pry their cold, dead jaws off of me...

:noface:

milkmania
12-04-2005, 06:51 PM
here's a story of a Pit Bull animal rescue

disclaimer:
EHOWA's website has been known to host questionable material....
that being said, I present Gypsy http://www.ehowa.com/mythoughts/gypsy.shtml

edit: the page reads from the bottom up

stevo137
12-04-2005, 06:56 PM
Oh yes, those pit bulls are such "sweeties".
Pore little things...

JDK
12-04-2005, 07:05 PM
The six dogs attacked Lillian Loraine Stiles on Saturday as she worked in her front yard. She died at the scene; a passer-by who tried to help was bitten.

Having heard about the reputation of the Texas Civil Court system, the owner of these dogs is 'done like dinner' even though criminal charges were't filed. Can't say that I have any sympathy for him either.

milkmania
12-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Mauling Death Sets Off Review of Dog Laws
By KRISTEN GELINEAU
Associated Press Writer

December 18, 2005, 2:59 PM EST

RICHMOND, Va. -- A Virginia lawmaker is proposing tough legislation to punish dog owners whose pets injure or kill, following a fatal attack on an elderly widow by three roaming pit bulls.

Dorothy Sullivan, 82, was attacked March 8 while walking her small dog, Buttons, in her own front yard in Partlow. Buttons also was killed.

Her family and some legislators say her death spotlights the need for legislative action.

"The horrific nature of Mrs. Sullivan's death, coupled with the prosecutor telling me he really didn't have a whole lot legally as means to pursue the case, told me that Virginia law really seemed to be lacking," said state Sen. R. Edward Houck. He plans to present the Dorothy Sullivan Memorial Bill to the General Assembly when it convenes next month.

In the absence of a specific law, the woman who prosecutors say owned the pit bulls, Deanna Large, faces trial Tuesday on a charge of involuntary manslaughter. It is the first time in Virginia a dog owner will be prosecuted on such a charge in a fatal mauling.

Large, 37, who lives down the road from Sullivan's house, could be sentenced to up to 13 years in prison if convicted of the felony and of three misdemeanor counts of allowing a dangerous dog to run at large.

Houck's bill would add a provision to state law to make fatal dog attacks a felony, punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $2,500.

It also would make certain dog attacks that result in serious injury felonies, instead of the current misdemeanors, punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a $2,500 fine. The penalties would be harsher for owners whose pets have previously been declared dangerous.

"There should be an option for the commonwealth to seek a stiffer penalty," said Kim Hamilton, executive director of the Virginia State Crime Commission.

The measure also would allow law enforcement officials to petition a court to declare a dog dangerous. Currently, only animal control officers have such authority. Owners of dogs declared dangerous would be required to maintain a $300,000 insurance policy, up from the $100,000 required now.

Despite the public outcry over Sullivan's death, Houck acknowledges getting the General Assembly to pass the legislation could be tricky.

"There's an old saying at the General Assembly: 'You do not introduce a dog bill,'" he said. "There's such a wide assortment and differing opinions about dogs that it's very difficult to develop a consensus."

Passionate debate between dog owners and attack victims makes it a tough issue for lawmakers to tackle, said Los Angeles attorney Kenneth Phillips, who has represented victims in more than 1,000 dog bite cases.

"It's tricky politically," Phillips said.

Most regulation of dog laws is done at the local level. Some cities, including Denver and Miami, ban pit bulls. Last month in San Francisco, city supervisors passed a law requiring spaying and neutering of pit bulls following the killing of a 12-year-old boy. In August, Ontario became the first province in Canada to ban pit bulls following a string of attacks by the dogs.

Banning certain breeds simply doesn't work, said Ledy VanKavage, an attorney with the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

"It's a knee-jerk reaction," she said.

Sullivan's daughter, Betty Greene, said her family has collected more than 3,500 signatures on a petition calling for stricter dog laws. She hopes the General Assembly will take her mother's death to heart when considering the legislation next month.

"A lot of people agree with our petition and they want something done," said Greene, 57, of Partlow. "If they do pass the law and it does some good, at least she wouldn't have died for nothing."

* __

On the Net:

General Assembly: http://legis.state.va.us/

ASPCA: http://www.aspca.org/

atlfootr
12-20-2005, 11:30 PM
You need to be careful around my Golden. She may beat you to death with her wagging tail
My neighbor 2 doors down has one just like yours, his name is Scout!
My dog Chaz and he, are the best of friends!

I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS re: ROTTWEILER'S!
I have had 6-7 of them within the past 9 yrs, and it's all about how their rasied. As this is true with any type, breed of dog.

Nevertheless, despite how ppl feel about certain breeds and what they hear and say as well, it boils down to just one thing. That it's the owners responsiblity to CONTROL their pet(s).

milkmania
12-23-2005, 01:55 PM
Pit Bull Owner Convicted of Manslaughter

By MATTHEW BARAKAT
Associated Press Writer

December 22, 2005, 8:32 PM EST

SPOTSYLVANIA, Va. -- A dog owner was convicted of involuntary manslaughter Thursday for allowing her pit bulls to run loose and kill an 82-year-old woman.

Deanna Large, 37, was found guilty in the death of Dorothy Sullivan, who was attacked March 8 by three pit bulls while she took her shih tzu for a walk.

The jury recommended Large serve three years in prison. The judge has the option to reduce the sentence, but cannot increase it when Large is sentenced Feb. 24.

Large was also found guilty of two misdemeanor charges of allowing her dogs to run loose. She could have gotten up to 10 years in prison.

Large's attorney contended that prosecutors never proved her ownership of the pit bulls that attacked Sullivan, and that Large had no knowledge that her dogs were dangerous.

In arguing for a lighter sentence, lawyer Eugene Frost said: "The lesson is learned. She won't own pit bulls again. Deanna Large feels incredibly bad about this."

Prosecutor William Neely asked for the maximum, citing the gruesome nature of the death. Jurors earlier saw autopsy photos showing pieces of Sullivan's scalp torn away and chunks torn from her arm and thigh.

During the trial, witnesses testified that Large's pit bulls menaced the neighborhood. Animal control officers had taken two of the dogs away in 2004 after they were accused of killing a kitten.

At one point, Large had 13 pit bulls living in her doublewide trailer, a detective testified.

flipper
12-26-2005, 04:11 AM
I defend the "bad dogs" like pits, rots, and others to a point. Not that I would own one, just because they tend to be stupid, but it is the people who own, breed, and abuse these dogs that cause them to be mean and attack people. Also if the owners had any sense or knowledge of animals, they would be able to tell the dogs attitude and get rid of it long before something happened. Notice what the owners tend to look like (poor, drugs, etc) when on tv.

jimmer2880
12-27-2005, 08:20 AM
To me, Pit Bulls & Rots are very different dogs. Having been around both, I'll say that I was never around a rotty that wasn't the biggest lap dog wanna-be there is. My only experience I have with pit bulls (other than reading newspapers) is my neighbor has one. He appears to be a good dog, but they don't trust him & he's ALWAS on a leash when outside of their house.

atlfootr
12-27-2005, 05:27 PM
Notice what the owners tend to look like (poor, drugs, etc) when on tv.
"Flipper", you can say what you will about the owners which choose to own certain breeds discussed.
But as far as I'm concered, I'm not "poor, or on drugs," etc and I've never been on TV.

A few thoughts to consider...

What you teach your children about being a responsible pet owner, they will also teach their children.

Animals are not born aggressive. It is learned or taught into them by careless owners.

If you own a dog, take it to obedience training classes.

milkmania
01-02-2006, 12:47 AM
well guys, I'm going to report it.....good, bad or ugly;)

Pack of Angry Chihuahuas Attacks Officer

By Associated Press

December 31, 2005, 5:35 PM EST

FREMONT, Calif. -- A pack of angry Chihuahuas attacked a police officer who was escorting a teenager home after a traffic stop, authorities said.

The officer suffered minor injuries, including bites to his ankle, Detective Bill Veteran said.

The five Chihuahuas escaped the 17-year-old boy's home and rushed the officer in the doorway Thursday, authorities said. The teenager had been detained after the traffic incident.

The officer was treated at a hospital and returned to work less than two hours later.

flipper
01-02-2006, 03:47 AM
That's my old stomping grounds. I grew up about 5 or 10 miles from there. Use to be a nice place. Sad to see all of these places that use to be good turn bad.

jimmer2880
01-02-2006, 07:06 AM
well guys, I'm going to report it.....good, bad or ugly;)

Pack of Angry Chihuahuas Attacks Officer

By Associated Press

December 31, 2005, 5:35 PM EST

FREMONT, Calif. -- A pack of angry Chihuahuas attacked a police officer who was escorting a teenager home after a traffic stop, authorities said.

The officer suffered minor injuries, including bites to his ankle, Detective Bill Veteran said.

The five Chihuahuas escaped the 17-year-old boy's home and rushed the officer in the doorway Thursday, authorities said. The teenager had been detained after the traffic incident.

The officer was treated at a hospital and returned to work less than two hours later.

That right there is just funny... I don't care who you are.:D

lakes Rick
01-02-2006, 01:46 PM
That right there is just funny... I don't care who you are.:D

My son told me his mother ( the dreaded EX) was walking her Giant poodle ( god I can just see her now, but I regress) and was attacked by a very large Rott.. I guess a neighbor ran out with a 4x4 and had to hit the Rott in the head to get it to release "bear" the poodle..
Now I can't say I am for banning certain breeds of dogs, but that would have certainly been truly scary..

PS. "Bear" was fine, unfortunately so was she.....

jimmer2880
01-02-2006, 02:46 PM
My son told me his mother ( the dreaded EX) was walking her Giant poodle ( god I can just see her now, but I regress) and was attacked by a very large Rott.. I guess a neighbor ran out with a 4x4 and had to hit the Rott in the head to get it to release "bear" the poodle..
Now I can't say I am for banning certain breeds of dogs, but that would have certainly been truly scary..

PS. "Bear" was fine, unfortunately so was she.....

Ok - but there's a slight size difference between a Rott and a Chihuahua. I'm not for mean dogs of any breed. But - while growing up we had a chihuahua (approx 6" to the shoulder). And - picturing a "pack of angry" ones is even more funny.

Ohh yea - sorry to hear your Ex made it out ok.

milkmania
01-10-2006, 12:21 AM
Drunk Woman Sics Dogs on New Zealand Cops

By Associated Press

January 9, 2006, 9:53 PM EST

WELLINGTON, New Zealand -- A drunken woman unleashed pitbulls on two New Zealand policemen responding to a domestic dispute, sending them scrambling to their patrol car where she bashed in their windshield with her feet, police said.

Gunshots and pepper spray couldn't deter the pair of angry hounds, which hurled themselves at the car's windows, said Detective Senior Sergeant Neil Grimstone in the northern city of Auckland.

The "intoxicated and aggressive female," meanwhile, "jumped up onto the bonnet of the car and smashed the patrol vehicle's windscreen with her feet," he said in a statement.

Back-up officers arrived and tried to negotiate with the woman, but to no avail. One of the dogs charged and was shot and wounded. The woman also assailed officers and was arrested, he said.

Grimstone said the shooting still didn't deter either dog, with the wounded one again turning on police -- and shot a second time.

"The dog has, only after being shot twice, then run off," he said.

Both animals were later impounded and were to be destroyed, he said.

The woman, aged 27 but not identified by police, faced charges of assault with a weapon, intentional damage, disorderly behavior and resisting police. Grimstone said more serious charges were likely.

"There is no question that this woman is totally responsible for the demise of these animals. Drunken, violent, aggressive and confrontational behavior like this will not be tolerated," he said.

Grimstone wasn't immediately unavailable for comment Tuesday. It was unclear why the officers were called to the home.

BriEOD
01-10-2006, 08:56 AM
She sounds lovely. :rolleyes:

Maristar210
01-10-2006, 12:31 PM
Drunk Woman Sics Dogs on New Zealand Cops

By Associated Press

January 9, 2006, 9:53 PM EST

WELLINGTON, New Zealand -- A drunken woman unleashed pitbulls on two New Zealand policemen responding to a domestic dispute, sending them scrambling to their patrol car where she bashed in their windshield with her feet, police said.

Gunshots and pepper spray couldn't deter the pair of angry hounds, which hurled themselves at the car's windows, said Detective Senior Sergeant Neil Grimstone in the northern city of Auckland.

The "intoxicated and aggressive female," meanwhile, "jumped up onto the bonnet of the car and smashed the patrol vehicle's windscreen with her feet," he said in a statement.

Back-up officers arrived and tried to negotiate with the woman, but to no avail. One of the dogs charged and was shot and wounded. The woman also assailed officers and was arrested, he said.

Grimstone said the shooting still didn't deter either dog, with the wounded one again turning on police -- and shot a second time.

"The dog has, only after being shot twice, then run off," he said.

Both animals were later impounded and were to be destroyed, he said.

The woman, aged 27 but not identified by police, faced charges of assault with a weapon, intentional damage, disorderly behavior and resisting police. Grimstone said more serious charges were likely.

"There is no question that this woman is totally responsible for the demise of these animals. Drunken, violent, aggressive and confrontational behavior like this will not be tolerated," he said.

Grimstone wasn't immediately unavailable for comment Tuesday. It was unclear why the officers were called to the home.

Sounds like someone I used to be married to. Her name isn't Lisa, is it?

Steve

SKI*MC
01-12-2006, 11:58 PM
3 nights ago, a person ran a stop sign, and hit a car. The 2 people driving the car was my school librarian, and her husbend. The women died, and the husben is in critical condition. I don't even think it was a drunk driving accident either, just recklace driving...

milkmania
01-13-2006, 12:06 AM
I once chased a kid that ran a stop sign malicously and on purpose (local kid, local intersection) in front of wife and kids coming back from a ballgame...
I was in a truck behind hers, I had deathly intent in my eyes:mad:

CCW was drawn

here's one I missed....

Pit Bull Terrier Kills 4 Year Old Bartlesville Boy

A pit bull terrier killed a little boy in Bartlesville Friday. 4-year old Cody Adair was killed by his uncle's dog.

News on 6 reporter Emory Bryan says Friday afternoon at a house on South Seminole, 4 year old Cody Adair was playing alone on the front porch. His mother and siblings, and an uncle were inside.

The uncle's pit bull terrier was in the back yard, chained inside a pen. When Cody wandered into the back yard and got inside the pen - the pit bull terrier attacked and killed him. Bartlesville Police Lt Mike Richardson: "parents, mom were in the house, and he somehow got into the back yard where the dog was. Mom went out to look for, mom and uncle went out to look for him and found him in the back yard."

Cody was transported to Jane Phillips Hospital, but was dead on arrival, with multiple dog bites. The death was front page news in Bartlesville, where Cody's death was the first fatal attack, but just the latest in a string of attacks on children by aggressive dogs. The history has prompted Bartlesville to start requiring licenses for all dogs - and special dangerous dog licenses for dogs with a history of biting.

Bartlesville has always had an ordinance requiring dogs be kept in a fence or on a short leash. The dangerous dog ordinance doesn't take effect until the end of the month. It wouldn't have had an effect on this case, because the dog didn't have a history of biting anyone. Lt Mike Richardson: "We had no, the police had no calls or contact, regarding that dog."

The previous attacks on children have largely been dogs running loose. This one was a family pet, which police were told had never been aggressive.

Cody's funeral is this Thursday at New Harmony Baptist Church east of Bartlesville.
Created: 1/3/2006
Updated: 1/4/2006 1:24:07 PM

http://www.kotv.com/pages/catimages/adair-cody.jpg
Source: The News on 6
www.KOTV.com (http://www.KOTV.com)

milkmania
01-20-2006, 04:38 AM
More Good Bad, and Ugly:rolleyes:

Man Dies After Dog Falls on Car in Mich.

By Associated Press

January 19, 2006, 5:51 PM EST

LIVONIA, Mich. -- A dog apparently fell from a freeway overpass and crashed through a car windshield, fatally injuring the driver, police said Thursday.

Charles G. Jetchick, 81, died Wednesday of injuries suffered in the accident over the weekend in suburban Detroit. A passenger suffered minor injuries.

Investigators do not believe the 60- to 70-pound Labrador retriever was thrown, but rather fell by while trying to avoid a car, State Police Sgt. Michael A. Shaw said. Police questioned the dog's owner. The dog died after a fall of about 16 feet.

Despite his injuries, Jetchick was able to steer his car in a straight line and stop safely, Shaw said.

"We've had rocks and other stuff like that fall off of overpasses. This would be the first dog we've had," said Shaw, who has been with the State Police for 11 years. Copyright 2006 Newsday Inc.

milkmania
01-27-2006, 02:30 AM
Tragic playtime for 6-yr-old Manorville girl

Manorville girl, 6, accidentally strangled after familyís golden retriever drags her in backyard by her scarf

BY JENNIFER SINCO KELLEHER AND SUSANA ENRIQUEZ

January 25, 2006, 11:08 PM EST

There was something about the blue scarf tied around Kaitlyn Hassard's neck that cost the 6-year-old her life.

Shortly after the girl returned to her Manorville home from kindergarten Tuesday afternoon, the family's 70-pound golden retriever began playfully nipping at Kaitlyn's scarf, Homicide Squad Det. Lt. Jack Fitzpatrick said.

The dog, named Jesse, apparently grabbed hold of Kaitlyn's scarf with its mouth and dragged her a short distance in the backyard, strangling her, Fitzpatrick said. Kaitlyn, who weighed about 40 pounds, was slim for her age, Fitzpatrick said, and it did not look like the dog attacked her. "It was playing with her," he said.

The Hassards were in seclusion Wednesday, too distraught to talk about their daughter's death. In the afternoon, family friend James Talamini, 34, stood at the bottom of the Hassards' driveway and read a prepared statement.

"Kaitlyn Dorothy Hassard was an energetic and beautiful young girl who always had a smile on her face, a skip in her step and a heart full of love," he read.

Fitzpatrick said that before the tragedy, Kaitlyn's mother had ushered the dog into the backyard after it began to play with the scarf around Kaitlyn's neck. Later, Kaitlyn asked for permission to play in the backyard with Jesse, and her mother obliged, Fitzpatrick said.

At about 4:30 p.m., when her 11-year-old brother Kevin went to get Kaitlyn because they were going to the post office with their mother, he found her unconscious on the lawn, the roughly 3-foot-long, soft-cloth scarf tangled around the girl's neck, Fitzpatrick said.

Their mother, Korey Hassard, a registered nurse at Dayton Avenue Elementary School, where Kevin is in sixth grade and sister Kelsey is in third grade, tried to perform CPR on Kaitlyn, a kindergartner at nearby South Street School. But Kaitlyn was pronounced dead about an hour later at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center in East Patchogue, Fitzpatrick said.

Dr. Marc J. Shapiro, chief of general surgery at Stony Brook University Hospital, said it would have taken about eight minutes with blood flow cut off to put the girl in a state from which she couldn't be revived. "If it's wrapped around the neck and the ends are pulled, it acts like a vise," Shapiro said.

At Kaitlyn's school, students and staff mourned, discussing their grief with counselors and social workers.

Robin Barbera, the principal at Kaitlyn's school, remembered watching Kaitlyn walk to the bus after school Tuesday with the bouncing pigtails she wore her straight brown hair in almost daily. When Barbera heard about the death later that night from a teacher, she called the parents of the other 17 children in Kaitlyn's class. "That was probably the hardest thing I've had to do," she said. "I would cry with them and then have to hang up and call the next family."

Last Thursday, for Kaitlyn's birthday, her mother brought snacks of gummy candies floating in blue Jell-O for a classroom party, teacher Kristin Scharf said. Scharf said she remembers Kaitlyn's love of art, the meticulous way she was able to color mostly within the lines. "It was very serious stuff to her," Scharf said of Kaitlyn's coloring. "She took a lot of pride in her work."

Jesse, who lived with the Hassards for about a year, was taken to the Brookhaven animal shelter. "The family didn't want the dog in the house, which is understandable," Fitzpatrick said. Deputy town supervisor Mark Grossman said he didn't know what will happen to Jesse, but that adoption is a possibility.

Talamini said funeral plans were not finalized as of last night

jayocheskey
01-27-2006, 02:40 AM
There is no way in the world you can say or do anything to comfort that family right now. This is truly a tragedy. My heart goes out to them.

milkmania
01-27-2006, 02:45 AM
There is no way in the world you can say or do anything to comfort that family right now. This is truly a tragedy. My heart goes out to them.

you try and do everything right, and you just can't foresee every hazard.... I had a difficult time with this one.

milkmania
01-28-2006, 12:51 AM
I never did like this idea, once I saw a guy having trouble controlling a bull terrier in the store one day.:rolleyes:

http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2006-01/21650854.jpg

Dog mauls girl's face

5-year-old has surgery to restore part of her lip after PETCO customer's rottweiler attacked her in store

BY ANN GIVENS
STAFF WRITER

January 27, 2006

Diane Christian knows how her daughter loves dogs. So when she saw little Danielle patting a friendly looking rottweiler in PETCO Monday afternoon, she thought nothing of it.

Then she heard a horrible sound - a growl and the snapping of teeth - and looked down to see 5-year-old Danielle's face covered in blood.

"It was very traumatic," said Christian, 41, of Bay Shore. "I picked her up and started running around, looking for someone to help. There was a lot of blood."

After a four-hour surgery to reattach her upper lip, Danielle is still recovering at Southside Hospital in Bay Shore. And Christian said more surgeries lie ahead.

"My child will never look the same because of this," she said.

The rottweiler was not on sale at the Bay Shore PETCO; it belonged to a shopper. PETCO has a policy of inviting animals to shop with their owners, a company spokesman said.

But Christian said letting pets interact with customers invites trouble. She's retained a lawyer, Kenneth Mollins of Melville, and plans to take legal action against the dog's owner and/or PETCO, possibly as early as today.

"The store invites consumers in with pets; they encourage interaction. That's a prescription for problems," Mollins said, adding that the dog's caretaker should have known that it was dangerous. The man who took the rottweiler to PETCO was not its owner, Mollins said. The owner is Lori Koch, of Merrick, he said.

Koch could not be reached for comment yesterday, and Mollins said he hasn't been able to reach her since the incident.

Hempstead Town spokesman Mike Deery said the owner took the dog to the town's animal shelter after the incident, and asked that it be euthanized. Deery said the shelter plans to put the dog down within about a week, although there has been no court order mandating the dog be destroyed.

PETCO spokesman Don Cowan said the store allows pets to accompany their owners shopping because it's fun, and they haven't had enough serious incidents over the years to discourage that policy. He said he doesn't know the details of the Bay Shore incident, but PETCO has launched an investigation.

In general, however, he said PETCO expects pet owners to take responsibility for their pets. "It's up to the pet parents to decide whether their pet is docile enough to come into the store."

For Christian, what is especially sad is that her daughter, who loves animals and has a dog and three cats herself, suddenly is afraid of them. "She keeps saying, 'Mommy, he was so cute. Why did he bite at me?'" Christian said.

milkmania
02-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Rogers School Bus Driver Saves Girl From Pit Bull Attack

POSTED: 4:32 pm CST February 23, 2006
UPDATED: 5:27 pm CST February 23, 2006
ROGERS, Ark. -- A Rogers school bus driver is being called a hero after saving a little girl from a dog attack on Thursday.Charity Whittle said she saw several pit bulls coming toward her. For no reason, she said, they attacked.

Moments after the pit bulls knocked the girl down, a local school bus driver, named Stacy McCloud, pulled up, grabbed a bucket and hit the dogs to chase them away.It was a move that might have saved Whittle's life.According to reports, she was wearing a heavy jacket that was torn to shreds by the dogs.

In the end, however, she wasn't injured too badly. Authorities said she had several bites on her hands and arms and a couple of scratches.Nevertheless, Whittle's mother said something needs to be done to ensure the pit bulls don't attack again."Honestly, I hope they put them down to sleep. Pit bulls are just not an animal to have now. Since they attacked her, they could attack another child. If somebody else was up there, it could have done it to them too," said Virginia Whittle.

Six of the dogs are being held at the Rogers Humane Society. Sheriff's officials are still looking for a seventh dog.Officials said all the dogs belong to one family, and all were running loose this morning.There is no word on what charges the dogs' owners face. Sheriff's officials said they're not sure what they'll do with the pit bulls they have in custody.