PDA

View Full Version : Power Washer Suggestions?

Rockman
04-23-2009, 09:52 AM
Hey everyone,

I am looking at 2 Power Washers at Home Depot and want to know which one you would suggest getting...

Both are identical, Husky Brands but are only different due to the engine each one has...

1-Kolher engine (173cc), 2600 PSI - $299

2-Honda engine (189cc), 3000 PSI - $399

I will be using the power washes to wash down our fence before staining this summer and for most general purposes around the house here and the cottage.

Do you think the extra $100 to get the Honda is worth spending?

We passed up the Briggs and Straton engine on our ride mower when we bought that about 10 years ago to go with the upgraded Kohler engine at the time and we have been happy with the Kolher.

Any thoughts? I hope to pick one up this weekend.

Thanks!

RM

x-10ron
04-23-2009, 10:05 AM
I'd buy the honda, the extra psi will show up with different attachments like a surface cleaner that has 2 nozzles. You can use the surface cleaner to clean flat surfaces like driveways and sidewalks and it cuts the time in half. 2600psi is good if your only going to use a wand and short pressure hose.

russlars
04-23-2009, 10:13 AM
I have had various small engines on various pieces of equipment and I would go Honda without question. In my experience, the imlement will wear out before the Honda engine will. They start easily and with basic maintenance will give you years of service. I have a Karcher power washer with a Honda engine that I purchased at Costco several years ago. Even though it only gets used a few times a year it starts on the 1st or 2nd pull and is always ready to perform when needed.:twocents:

RexDog1
04-23-2009, 10:23 AM
I just got a new one and I like it, works well :D

http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/PowerBOSS-20309/p1328.html?source=nextag&utm_source=nextag&utm_medium=shop+portals

Power washers are addicting when you start cleaning you end up cleaning EVEYTHING…….. I do feel sorry for my dog………..:rolleyes: go Honda.........JMHO

park190
04-23-2009, 10:31 AM
I purchased the Husky with the Honda engine last year, and don't regret anything about it. The engine is fairly quiet and starts with ease. As others mentioned, I think you will be happier with the Honda in the long run. I believe the warranty is longer too, but you may want to check to be certain.

flipper
04-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Get the one with the Honda. I have used both, and the Honda starts much easier, more power, and the other engines seem to die a few times when they are cold. Honda you start once and runs good until the job is done.

Slinkyredfoot
04-23-2009, 11:00 AM
Two grades of Honda engines, GX series heavy duty with oil alert and overhead cam, and a GC series more of a homeowner type of duty rating, if it is the GX series definitely worth the extra cash, GC series about a wash with the Kohler.
Adjustable pressure setting is a good option as well..

bigmac
04-23-2009, 11:25 AM
The quality of the pump on a power washer is WAY more important than the engine. And the pump is fairly well-known as a weak spot on those Husky power washers. Bargain power washers like the Husky - that's where they cut the costs...on the pump.

Monte
04-23-2009, 11:52 AM
My secretary's husband owns a pressure washer dealership. I just emailed him your question. I will post his response as soon as I get it.

TMCNo1
04-23-2009, 01:11 PM
My secretary's husband owns a pressure washer dealership. I just emailed him your question. I will post his response as soon as I get it.

Don't forget to ask about Cash Rewards, Rebates and Warranty Recalls!:rolleyes::D

Monte
04-23-2009, 01:51 PM
He said to go with the Kohler...

RexDog1
04-23-2009, 03:47 PM
He said to go with the Kohler...

Thanks, but why??? pump? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Maristar210
04-23-2009, 03:58 PM
I have the 8hp honda with 3200psi but I sure as hell paid a lot more than that for it.

In any case it starts every time. I love the thing.....

TX.X-30 fan
04-24-2009, 08:55 AM
I have the 8hp honda with 3200psi but I sure as hell paid a lot more than that for it.

In any case it starts every time. I love the thing.....

Honda good!! :D I have several pieces of equip. with honda and they start.

We bought a 13hp compressor once for a job and it was delivered in the shipping crate. Did all the prep oil in pump and added fuel and pulled the cord and it started out of a crate on the first pull.

Rockman
06-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Well, I did buy the Honda and used it for the first time this weekend. Wow, what a difference a powerwashed can make! The Honda motor is not too noisy, it started up on the first try and the different tips that came with it work great for different applications.

Anything that wasn't moving got powerwashed this weekend...fence, deck, neighbor's cat, garden benches, etc.:D

We have 2 "garden" benches that a neighbor had given us when she had moved. Her backyard was really decked out (no pun intended). The benches were kind of old and were really just decorations if you ask me. The were not finished but had a green, mossy texture to them.

So I figured what the hell, I'd see what the powerwashed could do to them. The wood now looks like brand new. I figure I'd add some screws to make the benches sturdy and then stain them to match our deck and fence.

The problem I have is that I cannot tell if the wood is cedar or actually teak. It feels somewhat soft (not rotted) but want to find out before I stain them. I shouldn't stain teak, correct? I should use teak oil, Harold's 20 step process, etc. to bring these benches back to life, right? Would it hurt to stain the benches if they are teak?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

I'll try to add pics tonight.

RM

flipper
06-02-2009, 01:58 PM
Any pics of the bench?

Rockman
06-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Any pics of the bench?

Not on my laptop right now but I'll post tonight...

O2BESOHUGE
06-02-2009, 04:38 PM
I Have The Honda Engine...never A Problem At All

You Cant Go Wrong With A Honda. Ever.

Jay

Monte
06-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks, but why??? pump? :confused::confused::confused:

Just as good as the honda, but less money;)

bcampbe7
06-02-2009, 04:40 PM
I Have The Honda Engine...never A Problem At All

You Cant Go Wrong With A Honda. Ever.

Jay

Sounds like something WFT's would say! :D :rolleyes:

Monte
06-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Sounds like something WFT's would say! :D :rolleyes:

Sure does:rolleyes:

zberger
06-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Its not about PSI, its GPH.. :)

bigmac
06-03-2009, 07:19 AM
It's not about the engine, it's about the pump. By far, the weakest link in a pressure washer system is the pump, and a good pump will often cost as much or more than the engine, and be far less reliable.

russlars
06-03-2009, 09:42 AM
It's not about the engine, it's about the pump. By far, the weakest link in a pressure washer system is the pump, and a good pump will often cost as much or more than the engine, and be far less reliable.
Found this out with my Karcher when it stopped pressuring up. Called the repair shop and before I could even tell them why I was calling they told me what my problem was and even knew the model of my washer. Must be a common problem with my unit. New pump (from another manufacturer) to go on my nice Honda engine is probably going to cost my around $200. Almost enough to make me consider buying a new unit. Mine is about 7 years old and gets very light use.

zberger
06-03-2009, 10:33 AM

CAT brand pump's are pretty excellent if i recall.

But I want medium high to high pressure, combined with a ton of flow..

bigmac
06-03-2009, 01:14 PM
But I want medium high to high pressure, combined with a ton of flow..

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_6970_32+37+342363

http://www.google.com/searchhl=en&q=pressure+washer+pumps&aq=&oq=pressure+washer+pum&aqi=g10

zberger
06-04-2009, 04:13 PM
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_6970_32+37+342363

http://www.google.com/searchhl=en&q=pressure+washer+pumps&aq=&oq=pressure+washer+pum&aqi=g10

oh i know, i was using a figure of speech..

shoudla put that...

about 3 of my friends have big power washers, no need for me to own one.

i'm more into chainsaws. :)