PDA

View Full Version : Looking for stereo advice

bfinley
05-18-2005, 09:47 PM
I'm planning on putting a new stereo in my 1992 Prostar 205 and have a few questions.

1. I'd like to use this existing speaker holes - what size speakers should I buy? What brand?

2. I'd like to buy a head unit that's compatible with my IPod. I've heard that Alpine has a nice one. Do you have any suggestions??

3. Do I really nead an amp if I buy a good head unit and 4 speakers. I don't need to have bass shaking the boat, although I would like to hear the music clearly when the boat is running.

Any suggestions you have are appreciated.

Thanks,

Brandon

rodltg2
05-18-2005, 09:49 PM
the polk audio 6 1/2" have been getting good reviews. i have four them which i bought at circuit city for 99 a pair.

jake
05-18-2005, 09:53 PM
The infinity kappa 6.75" fit in the stock holes pretty well. That's what I just put in my 93 190. There are also 6.5" kappas, you'll need the 6.75.

BriEOD
05-18-2005, 10:18 PM
I bought Polk 6.5" DB 650's. Crutchfield was running a buy one pair get a second half off. An amplifier will make considerable difference to the clarity and volume.

jayocheskey
05-18-2005, 10:48 PM
JL audio also makes some great 6.5" speakers. I know that's what the '05 M/C's come with standard -- they sound great.

jayocheskey
05-18-2005, 10:50 PM
As for the amp, if you're only going to be powering four 6.5" speakers, then you shouldn't need an amp. If you are going to add a sub or anything beyond those 4 speakers, then an amp will become a necessity. From your initial post, I'd say you won't be needing one.

RackAtak
05-18-2005, 11:02 PM
I'm planning on putting a new stereo in my 1992 Prostar 205 and have a few questions.

1. I'd like to use this existing speaker holes - what size speakers should I buy? What brand?

2. I'd like to buy a head unit that's compatible with my IPod. I've heard that Alpine has a nice one. Do you have any suggestions??

3. Do I really nead an amp if I buy a good head unit and 4 speakers. I don't need to have bass shaking the boat, although I would like to hear the music clearly when the boat is running.

Any suggestions you have are appreciated.

Thanks,

Brandon
Check out Crutchfield.com...if you find anything and want to buy post here for a referral code. One of us can give it to you and you will save $20.00 and whoever gives you the dode will get a $20.00 credit. ;)BTW, I bought the Sony 4-channel amp to run my 4 Polk Audio DB650's. Clear and loud and great bass without a sub.

rem_pss308
05-18-2005, 11:50 PM
I have a 93 prostar 205. My head is a pioneer pushing 20 watts x 4, I have 4 pioneer 6.5 50 watt RMS speakers powered by a four channel amp pushing 50 watt RMS in the boat. There was a big differeance when I added the amp, from just the head unit. I hear good things about the polk speakers.
Like abopve crutchfield is a good source, or circuit city also has a very good waranttee.

bfinley
05-19-2005, 07:58 AM
What about the head unit. Anyone have experience with one that will work with an IPod. I'm pretty disappointed in the FM Transmitter I bought.

Brandon

jake
05-19-2005, 09:44 AM
I'd be careful with the 6.5 inch speakers. The speakers you have in there now are over 7 inches. I first purchased Alpine 6.5" components, and they just didn't fill in the hole. I had to look specifically for 6.75"-7" speakers, not many options out there, Kappa's are the best I could find with grills big enough to fill in the old holes.

That's my experience, others may disagree.

I also wouldn't purchase from Crutchfield...they are a good company with great service, but they put their prices right at what the big retailers charge, ie best buy. Try www.etronics.com, or the audio store at www.cardomain.com for much better prices.

Even with the 6.75" speakers, the existing cutouts were too big to get good contact with the mounting screws. I used these clips I found at the hardware store, worked very well. They are probably a little overkill, but with all the pounding the boat takes I didn't want the speakers rattling.

jake
05-19-2005, 09:49 AM
I also recommend an amp...you can pick up an Alpine power 4 X 65 from etronics for ~$95. A head unit will power the 6-7" speakers well in an enclosed car, but when you are running them in open air, you're going to need more power to get good volume and sound out of them.

Remember an amp is going to give you like 65 Watts RMS, probably double that peak, and much higher currents. When you look at the head units and they say 45 watts per channel, that's peak at lower current. They probably push 12-15 RMS.

zberger
05-19-2005, 10:20 AM
I would recommend getting an amplifier for sure. 60 or 75 watts per channel will be just fine for most people.

One with a nice crossover network built in, would be super handy.

Someone here mentioned JL Audio, They make great stuff and recently came out with a marine line which looks to be nice stuff. Another company you might want to look at is Memphis, they recently came out with a speaker and amplifer line that looks really nice. http://memphiscaraudio.com/products/family.asp?id=8

If you have stock speakers, its more than likely they are going to be 6.5's and could definetely be replaced with a 6.5 inch coaxial speaker.

You could certainly do a 6.5 inch Component speaker, but then its necessary to cut another hole, or drill 2 holes for the tweeter mount.

bfinley
05-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Jake,
Are you running dual batteries??
Brandon

jake
05-19-2005, 02:30 PM
Not yet, hoping I won't need to but I am running two amps with a sub...so I may need to. I don't spend much time running the stereo when the boat isn't running though.

zberger
05-19-2005, 02:33 PM
What amps are you running with this setup jake?

mika
05-19-2005, 02:42 PM
What about the head unit. Anyone have experience with one that will work with an IPod. I'm pretty disappointed in the FM Transmitter I bought.

Brandon

What kind of problems are you having with the FM transmitter? You may have to pick another frequency. I dont have an iPod yet! But I have XM and I transmit through FM transmitter. Some times I have problems but that is because my output is less then another so I get some bleed though or bad recieption. I just change frequencies and all it good again.

Try getting a reciever that has an AUX setting that will allow you to use RCA cables to connect. I do not know if you can hook up RCA or some type of stereo friendly connection to make a more physical connection between the reciever and the iPod.

Just some thoughs

rodltg2
05-19-2005, 02:44 PM
the fm trans. on the ipod works ok. for high end system with lots of power it sucks. at low volumes it sounds ok , when you crank it up to party time there is a definate loss of clarity.

bfinley
05-19-2005, 03:09 PM
My issue with the FM Transmiiter is the clarity at loud volume. You have to have your stereo turned almost all the way up to get it good and loud. And at that point you get a bit of static - it doesn't matter what station you are using.

I know some head units have an auxilary port where I can hook the IPod up with RCA cables, but i heard about an Alpine unit which I can actually use to chose songs, ect. on the Ipod. So that's what I'm leaning towards for now.

rick s.
05-19-2005, 03:09 PM
I would get a head unit that has another set of inputs (rca) and that way the ipod could be hard-wired rather than using the fm transmitter route. I think the fm transmitter works ok, it does in my boat, but the audio quality is less (cuts off the highs and lows) than a hard-wired install. Anyway, dont expect cd quality music from the ipod.

I have two fm transmitters, a Griffin iTrip and another one that has it's own batteries (I don't remember the name of this, and I don't have it in front of me), and the one with the batteries seems to work better. I think it has more transmit power and range, cause when I'm parked with my buddies, they can receive it too.

zberger
05-19-2005, 03:22 PM
I would get a head unit that has another set of inputs (rca) and that way the ipod could be hard-wired rather than using the fm transmitter route. I think the fm transmitter works ok, it does in my boat, but the audio quality is less (cuts off the highs and lows) than a hard-wired install. Anyway, dont expect cd quality music from the ipod.

I have two fm transmitters, a Griffin iTrip and another one that has it's own batteries (I don't remember the name of this, and I don't have it in front of me), and the one with the batteries seems to work better. I think it has more transmit power and range, cause when I'm parked with my buddies, they can receive it too.

This is what I would recommend also.. Most decks now have some sort of input.

The newer Alpine and Pioneer decks have a box you can buy that will allow you to plug in your ipod, and at least on the Alpine unit charge it also (i would presume the pioneer unit is the same.. )

The alpine parkt number is KCA-420i

jayocheskey
05-19-2005, 03:24 PM
Is it possible to wire the bow speakers to the same amp that powers the tower speakers? If so, would this allow the stern speakers to pull more power? Just a thought. I'm getting a 4 channel amp for future upgrades, but was curious if I could hook up two of the existing speakers through this amp for better performance. The amp would be set up to push 80 watts @ 4 channels w/ 2 ohms.

Also, what is the difference between 2 ohms and 4 ohms?

Ryan
05-19-2005, 03:33 PM
I don't think you need an amp. I have a Panasonic head, I'm pretty sure the RCA inputs can be used but not sure about controlling though. The head unit runs 50watts/4 channels and does more than I need. But I prefer not to annoy people while I blast classical music accross the water. I'm kidding.

I have some Memphis 6x9's (sound great) in the back and Alpine waterproof up front. Had to get 6x9's to fill the existing holes. I'd love to get those marine speakers, I'll have to wait until I get the next set for free.

I hear there are some good deals on speakers in the corner of the grocery store parking lot. They are reall trustworthy, in a white van, give 'em a try.

zberger
05-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Is it possible to wire the bow speakers to the same amp that powers the tower speakers? If so, would this allow the stern speakers to pull more power? Just a thought. I'm getting a 4 channel amp for future upgrades, but was curious if I could hook up two of the existing speakers through this amp for better performance. The amp would be set up to push 80 watts @ 4 channels w/ 2 ohms.

Also, what is the difference between 2 ohms and 4 ohms?

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to install the tower speakers to the same amp you have running your bow speakers..

It just depends how many speakers you have total. Generally speaking most of the tower speakers I have seen are just marine rated speakers in cans that mount to the tower. In this case, you could have 2 cans (2 total speakers) running off of 2 channels of your 4 channel amp. if you have Cans, you will need all 4 channels full, and will have to come up with another sort of amplification for the other speakers inside the actual boat.

Ohms, are electrical resistance. Most speakers (not subwoofers) are going to be 4 ohm. The lower the ohms the more resistance. Most amplifiers you are going to see and purchase are going to be stable to 4 ohms Mono, or 2 ohm stereo. I would stick with running things at 4 ohms, no need to go buying 2 ohm speakers.

Subwoofers can come in all sorts of different ohm levels. 1,2,4,8 are the general ones. Also Dual voice coil, and the like. These different ohm ratings do not make a speaker BETTER or hit harder, or anything. Mainly these are different for wiring flexability to take advantage of more power at a different ohm load on an amplifier.

zberger
05-19-2005, 03:55 PM
I don't think you need an amp. I have a Panasonic head, I'm pretty sure the RCA inputs can be used but not sure about controlling though. The head unit runs 50watts/4 channels and does more than I need. But I prefer not to annoy people while I blast classical music accross the water. I'm kidding.

I have some Memphis 6x9's (sound great) in the back and Alpine waterproof up front. Had to get 6x9's to fill the existing holes. I'd love to get those marine speakers, I'll have to wait until I get the next set for free.

I hear there are some good deals on speakers in the corner of the grocery store parking lot. They are reall trustworthy, in a white van, give 'em a try.

I would not recommend running just the headunit for powering speakers. The headunit will not, I repeat will not be putting out 50 watts per channel.. and frankly I would be surprised if its more than 20.

An amplifier will give you much more control over what the speakers are doing, so that they aren't playing frequencies they aren't able to reproduce anyways, thats just a waste of electricity and can and will lead to damage of the speaker.

Now if you were going to really budget it out, you could certainly run the deck, and wire in some caps to block certain frequencies but thats not really the best solution, especially in a marine environment.

jake
05-19-2005, 04:30 PM
What amps are you running with this setup jake?

Alpine MRP-F240 4X50 (4 6.75" infinity kappa)
Alpine MRP-M350 1X350 @ 2ohms (dual voice coil Alpine sub wired in parallel to drop resistance to 2 ohms in a 1.25 cubic foot sealed box)

Plenty loud and sounds great. Way more bass than I actually need. The crossover point is set at 80Hz... The kappas are rock stars in the 80Hz-20Khz range.

Also running the Alpine CDA-9827 head unit which works really well in conjunction with the Alpine amps to control everything. I'll post some pics.

It was a huge pain getting the sub box up in front of the drivers feet area, had to re-route my air intake hoses and just generally work it back and forth until it finally went in there. I'm glad I did though, because I ended up not losing any storage space to my sub, which is at a premium on the 190.

zberger
05-19-2005, 05:24 PM
Alpine MRP-F240 4X50 (4 6.75" infinity kappa)
Alpine MRP-M350 1X350 @ 2ohms (dual voice coil Alpine sub wired in parallel to drop resistance to 2 ohms in a 1.25 cubic foot sealed box)

Plenty loud and sounds great. Way more bass than I actually need. The crossover point is set at 80Hz... The kappas are rock stars in the 80Hz-20Khz range.

Also running the Alpine CDA-9827 head unit which works really well in conjunction with the Alpine amps to control everything. I'll post some pics.

It was a huge pain getting the sub box up in front of the drivers feet area, had to re-route my air intake hoses and just generally work it back and forth until it finally went in there. I'm glad I did though, because I ended up not losing any storage space to my sub, which is at a premium on the 190.

That sounds like a neat little install..

Nice job on all the wiring and so forth. I just finished an install in a buddies 18ft Celebrity.. I'll take some pictures and throw em up here sometime. We didn't include a sub, due to space constraints. We might try and make something work, still debating.

With that install, it just really depends how long you are playing with the motor off. If you are parked on a beach and stuff and want it to play for a few hours I would definetely be looking into a 2nd battery JUST for the stereo with an isolator for sure, to prevent being stranded somewhere, or having to carry around a battery box.

But it just depends what you are doing.. and what you want to achieve.. me, I like overdoing everything, so that if I wanna push it or wanna listen to the stereo for an extended amount of time, I totally can.

TEX P205
05-19-2005, 06:26 PM
Ohms, are electrical resistance. Most speakers (not subwoofers) are going to be 4 ohm. The lower the ohms the more resistance. Most amplifiers you are going to see and purchase are going to be stable to 4 ohms Mono, or 2 ohm stereo.

I think you have it backwards. The lower the ohms the less resistance, which gives you more power to your speakers. Power(watts) ratings will be higher at lower ohms. Look at most power ratings for amps. They will rate them at 4 ohms stereo and 2 ohms mono, example (http://marineaudio.blogspot.com/2005/03/clarion-apx480m-marine-amplifier-80w-x.html). Most 2 ohm loads are two - 4 ohm speakers in parallel, which means you can't have stereo.

For the regular setup, the only time you need to worry about ohm ratings are for subwoofer applications. Some amps can't handle 2 ohm loads.
None the less, there are several ways to wire up speakers.

wats218
01-08-2008, 12:59 PM
I want to wire 4, 4-ohm speakers to a two channel amplifier. The amplifier is rated at 230W RMS x 2 @ 2 ohms. If I connect two speakers in parallel on each channel, will this give me 230W to each speaker? Is this the ideal setup for this situation? The purchase of a 4 channel amp isn't an option and there aren't any subs or anything.

If this is a good setup, should I wire the front speakers to one channel and rear speakers to the other, or should I wire the right speakers to one channel and the left speakers to the other? Not sure if it matters.

I'm trying to decide what speakers to buy so I want to know what wattage they are going to be running at. Don't want to waste money on speakers that are too good for my setup.

Thanks in advance for any help.