PDA

View Full Version : Buying a CPO BMW

Andyg
04-22-2009, 12:20 AM
I am thinking about buying my wife a certified preowned 2008 BMW X5 4.8i. I found a vehicle with the options I want, but of course it is probably 9 hrs away from me. Has anyone here purchased a CPO BMW before. I have two questions that I have that I was hoping maybe someone here might be able to answer. First, can a local dealer do a dealer swap on a CPO vehicle? Second I want to trade in her current vehicle, 2005 Explorer Limited. If I have to drive to the dealership that has the vehicle I want I am worried about getting royaly screwed trying to trade in the Explorer. It has over 130,000 miles on it so I am sure it isn't worth much. Do you think the dealer that has the CPO BMW would give me a trade in range for a vehicle sight unseen. I really don't want to try and sell the Explorer ourselves as I know how much of a pain in the rear that is.

Thanks

Andyg

Datdude
04-22-2009, 12:27 PM
I am sure they would give you a ballpark range on the Explorer trade, but would have to see it to verify the price. You may be able to take digital pics? I tried getting another car brand dealer to do a dealer trade on a CPO used and they would not do it. BMW may be different though? Good luck!

D3skier
04-22-2009, 01:39 PM
try taking the car to carmax.. they'll give you a price on the spot for purchase outright then you wouldn't have to deal with a trade in at the dealer and don't have to mess with selling yours

Andyg
04-22-2009, 03:45 PM
try taking the car to carmax.. they'll give you a price on the spot for purchase outright then you wouldn't have to deal with a trade in at the dealer and don't have to mess with selling yours

I tried that a few years ago and the Carmax's price was about 30% less than what my dealer was going to give me on trade.

Ski-me
04-22-2009, 04:00 PM
Sell the Explorer outright and try and get a few more thousand if possible. The BMW dealer does not want the Ford and will just wholesale it off to someone else. They will most likely call a few local dealers and ask for their best offer...sight unseen. Once you trade it in, they will sell it directly to the best offer, same dollar amount. They won't deal with a 130k vehicle.

On the X5, we almost bought an 06 4.4 but passed (another story). Our was also certified so yours should run up to 100k. You should also get free maintenance up to 50k. If you can swing it and get a good deal, you might opt for the 100k free maint. add on. I think they run around $3k or so. Look on this website...a lot of good info and also some discussion on the maint. package.

http://www.xoutpost.com/forums.html

All I know is the X5 we were looking at had about 22k on it and already had 2 brake jobs. I'm sure at BMW the brakes run around $1,000 for all four so it may be money well spent on the maint. package.

Good luck with the purchase...they are a blast to drive! We did end up with the Lexus 400h as my wife really liked it. :o I liked the X5 because it was more unique and also more fun to drive :cool:

jamisonsbrodie
04-22-2009, 04:58 PM
You should also get free maintenance up to 50k. If you can swing it and get a good deal, you might opt for the 100k free maint. add on. I think they run around $3k or so. Look on this website...a lot of good info and also some discussion on the maint. package.

http://www.xoutpost.com/forums.html

All I know is the X5 we were looking at had about 22k on it and already had 2 brake jobs. I'm sure at BMW the brakes run around $1,000 for all four so it may be money well spent on the maint. package.

:

When I bought a CPO several years ago, they tried to sell me the maint. also, and I refused it. Brake jobs don't need to be done at BMW, and personally, the oem metalic pads release dust like crazy. I only use true ceramic pads due to the low levels of dust. To me, I will take the chance on the maint. above 50k miles, because you would need to do a lot of maint. to add up to 3k. I definately recommend to CPO and have used it several times. I plan to buy another CPO this fall. Like others have said, the dealer will probably have you talk to the used car/trade-in manager and will be able to give you a ball park based on your input. It will be a low value regardless.

Ryan
04-22-2009, 05:02 PM

2nd that. The last car we bought in I shoped 4 dealers for trade-in values and CarMax beat them all almost $2k.

bobbyB
04-22-2009, 05:55 PM
I am thinking about buying my wife a certified preowned 2008 BMW X5 4.8i. I found a vehicle with the options I want, but of course it is probably 9 hrs away from me. Has anyone here purchased a CPO BMW before. I have two questions that I have that I was hoping maybe someone here might be able to answer. First, can a local dealer do a dealer swap on a CPO vehicle? Second I want to trade in her current vehicle, 2005 Explorer Limited. If I have to drive to the dealership that has the vehicle I want I am worried about getting royaly screwed trying to trade in the Explorer. It has over 130,000 miles on it so I am sure it isn't worth much. Do you think the dealer that has the CPO BMW would give me a trade in range for a vehicle sight unseen. I really don't want to try and sell the Explorer ourselves as I know how much of a pain in the rear that is.

Thanks

Andyg

Do your research on this vehicle before you buy. We had a really bad experience with one and just got rid it. We only had 60K on it and were looking at over 5K in repairs with the cooling system, front suspension, etc..... This thing really nickled and dimed us, and we were looking at having to put big dollars into it. Maybe we had a lemon, but I did some looking after the fact and found out that cost of ownership on the X5's is pretty high compared to others.

Another thing to consider is if you have a dealership near where you live. Alot of local joints aren't familiar with the BMW's, and ended up refering us back to the BMW dealer for repairs, which was 1 1/2 hrs away in Seattle. By the time you drove down, got it fixed and got back we had to figure on blowing a whole day...PITA.

It was a fantasticly fun rig to drive when it wasn't broken down, but after awhile we couldn't get that bad taste out of our mouths.

If you do decide to move forward with it, I hope you have better luck with it than we did.

B

D3skier
04-22-2009, 05:58 PM
I tried that a few years ago and the Carmax's price was about 30% less than what my dealer was going to give me on trade.

did you take in to consideration the reason they could offer you 30% more is because they are inflating the amount of discount they are giving you to make it look like they're giving you more for your trade.

Andyg
04-22-2009, 06:50 PM
did you take in to consideration the reason they
could offer you 30% more is because they are inflating the amount of discount they are giving you to make it look like they're giving you more for your trade.

This was back in 2001 when using the Ford X-Plan actually saved you money over what you could negotiate. I doubt at the time I was getting an inflated trade in, in fact I thought at the time the trade in value was a little low and that is why I took it to CarMax. The dealer offered me $16,500 and CarMax was in the $12,000 range if I remember correctly.

Ski-me
04-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Do your research on this vehicle before you buy. We had a really bad experience with one and just got rid it. We only had 60K on it and were looking at over 5K in repairs with the cooling system, front suspension, etc..... This thing really nickled and dimed us, and we were looking at having to put big dollars into it. Maybe we had a lemon, but I did some looking after the fact and found out that cost of ownership on the X5's is pretty high compared to others.

Another thing to consider is if you have a dealership near where you live. Alot of local joints aren't familiar with the BMW's, and ended up refering us back to the BMW dealer for repairs, which was 1 1/2 hrs away in Seattle. By the time you drove down, got it fixed and got back we had to figure on blowing a whole day...PITA.

It was a fantasticly fun rig to drive when it wasn't broken down, but after awhile we couldn't get that bad taste out of our mouths.

If you do decide to move forward with it, I hope you have better luck with it than we did.

B

Pretty much the same story for us. We bought it and 12 hrs later, brought the vehicle back due to problems. A blast to drive but I didn't want to hang out at the dealer all the time (unnecessarily). That's why we went for the Lexus.....basically Toyota reliability but not as sporty. It does have great V-8ish pickup though in a straight line. Not bad for a hybrid.

Although these are two problem stories, I have also heard about folks that have had no problems whatsoever. Just a roll of the dice and we were after a very specific X5.....white, tan interior, no NAV, comfort seats and rear heated seats. It was sharp looking though!

Andyg
04-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Pretty much the same story for us. We bought it and 12 hrs later, brought the vehicle back due to problems. A blast to drive but I didn't want to hang out at the dealer all the time (unnecessarily). That's why we went for the Lexus.....basically Toyota reliability but not as sporty. It does have great V-8ish pickup though in a straight line. Not bad for a hybrid.

Although these are two problem stories, I have also heard about folks that have had no problems whatsoever. Just a roll of the dice and we were after a very specific X5.....white, tan interior, no NAV, comfort seats and rear heated seats. It was sharp looking though!

The more I research the X5 the more concerned I get about the reliability. I know every manufacturer has their issues, but it does seem like BMW has more than you would expect for a premium vehicle. My wife drives a lot for work, 35,000+ miles a year so reliability becomes a big concern. Trying to balance reliability with a car she likes is becoming difficult. She absolutely loves the X5.

Jerseydave
04-22-2009, 08:52 PM
We have an '05 Infiniti FX35, 70K miles and no problems at all. Replaced the rear brake pads twice because they start out real thin and wear alot faster than the fronts, which are still original. A bit stiffer ride than the Lexus RX350, but you can throw it into a turn like a car and it corners nice! They say the V8 FX45 is a rocket! (never tried one though) Less $$ than an X5. Our FX35 runs on regular gas too, but I'm sure the FX45 needs premium.

Ski-me
04-23-2009, 01:05 AM
Sorry, I didn't want to scare you on my experience. :(

Anyways, ask for the records on the vehicle. Not just the high level ones, get the full work order detail. The high level items really didn't give me any concern but when they printed everything out in detail, there were a lot of issues. I tried to justify it as an overly cautious previous owner but the night we brought it back, the headlights were not consistently staying on, the rear seat heater went off by itself and the engine was surging up and down. Electrical issues which are hard to pinpoint sometimes. I just felt like this might be a sign that we weren't suppose to keep this one.

I did post the problems on the X5 forum and quite a few folks indicated the problems were definitely unusual....they all said to walk away. And so we chose to ask four our check back. No harm.

Happy wife is definitely something to consider. If the X5 is fun to drive and requires an occasional trip to the dealer with a convenient free loaner (check on this), than I would say no big deal. So long as the visit is not costing you anything it may be worth the extra care.

35k is a lot of miles a year and your value is definitely going to drop like a rock. Hopefully you are looking at a few year old unit so some of the big depreciation is knocked off already.

My wife also really likes the Cayenne......but I think that one is going to be one that would visit the shop even more......although, it would be cool to drive ;)

Good luck with your search. It's definitely difficult. Just remember, if it doesn't work out for some reason and you have to sell it, you're only loosing a few thousand dollars and gaining some experience. It's not the end of the world. Find a car that you can enjoy as well. With a car like the X5, you should have some excitement.

Forrest-X45
04-23-2009, 03:09 PM
I am a long time BMW owner and enthusiast. BMW's are excellent cars and if properly maintained will last forever. The are by far the most driver friendly cars and give incredible driver feedback. The X5's are excellent SAV's (as BMW calls them).
I am a horsepower junkie so this next statement will be hypocritical - have you thought about the 3.0L X5? I have always preached, get the biggest and most powerful engine you can. But the inline 6 Bimmer engines are bulletproof and basic routine maintenance with BMW's will make them last forever. With the 3.0L inline 6 you will get much better gas mileage, better reliability, and far less expensive maintenance. If you really want a reliable BMW consider the inline 6 and manual tranny for years of trouble free driving. I know a manual tranny is becoming scarce in cars driven in the states but Bimmer manuals last forever. If you drive it right you won't have to touch the clutch until maybe 150K miles or more. BMW autos are good but they won't last nearly as long as a manual. But no auto will.......
If you do decide to go with an X5, which I think is an exellent choice, I would highly recommend routine maintenance. DO NOT, I repeat, Do not follow the BMW maintenance schedule. It was written by marketing and accounting folks, not engineers. No offense to accountants and marketing folks was intended by that last statement but the BMW ones don't know anything about BMW maintenance. 15K miles between oil changes is insane and there is no such thing as lifetime fuel filters and tranny fluid.
BMW's are highly engineered cars and with proper maintenance will last you a long time. Change the tranny fluid/transfer case/front and rear diffs every 30K with oil changes at half of the mileage BMW recommends and you will have a great car for years of reliable driving. And the one of the most fun cars to drive on the road.

The past local MC dealer in my area used to say MC's are the Ferrari's of the marine world. I like to think MC's are the BMW's or BMW M cars of the marine world since I can't afford a new Ferrari. ;)

Good luck with you decision. I just happen to really like BMW's and I think you would to if you enjoy driving at all.

2000XPSD
04-23-2009, 08:19 PM
i'll second what forrest said...that's pretty much right on with bimmers.
As far as CPO's don't rule out non-CPO cars. I'm currently shopping for a 328i and what i've found, at least with the 3 series, is when it's classified as a CPO the price instantly jumps 3k....check out edmunds.com for prices and you'll see. For that much money you can buy a warranty if you really scared. Also the cpo half of the warranty only covers big stuff...read about it on the bwm.com/cpo site.
the only thing you really have to worry about is electrical problems...but most of them surface pretty quick and are usually weeded out under the factory warranty.

Ski-me
04-23-2009, 11:05 PM
i'll second what forrest said...that's pretty much right on with bimmers.
As far as CPO's don't rule out non-CPO cars. I'm currently shopping for a 328i and what i've found, at least with the 3 series, is when it's classified as a CPO the price instantly jumps 3k....check out edmunds.com for prices and you'll see. For that much money you can buy a warranty if you really scared. Also the cpo half of the warranty only covers big stuff...read about it on the bwm.com/cpo site.
the only thing you really have to worry about is electrical problems...but most of them surface pretty quick and are usually weeded out under the factory warranty.

I think this was my case....electrical type problems and this vehicle was something pretty rare. That's why we took it back. My wife really wanted the white, tan and comfort seats....which is really hard to find. I couldn't find another one before she really started liking the Lexus (mainly for the gas mileage). Trust me, I looked really hard but couldn't find an X5 fast enough before she found the Lexus.

The issues with our BMW I think were unique and it did not scare me away from BMW's. My dad had 3 - 535i's when I was a kid.....I fell in love with them. Always wanted a BMW because they are so fun to drive. Keep looking and I think you will be OK.

The Lexus 400h is pretty uneventful for me. Just a basic car and transportation. Why are there Audi comercials making fun the the typical SUV (and all they show are rows and rows of Lexus 350's :D). I think it's funny.....my wife, not so much. :cool:

Ski-me
04-23-2009, 11:36 PM
My only two pics of the X5......sure was nice lookin' though :D

Forrest-X45
04-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Jeff -
I agree, that was a nice looking X5. Nice color combo......too bad you couldn't keep her. Yeah - the Lexus is not a very involved driving experience. But it works for some people, I just don't happen to be one. Once you drive a BMW it is very difficult to go drive something else. :)

2000XPSD
04-24-2009, 11:11 PM
I'll second that also about the Lexus...my mother has a 07 es350, super nice car but for some reason it just doesn't do anything to me when i drive it. She loves it, no problems with it either. Funny thing was i made her test drive a 3 series when she was shopping and she hated it...drove it for like 10 mins and turned to the salesman and said "i hate this car and there is no way i would ever buy one". On top of that the es had 10 times the junk in it compared to the same price bmw.