PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Manifold Bolts

samtechwaterski
04-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Hey everyone, What torque should I use when tightening my exhaust manifold bolts to the heads? Also the bolts I pulled out seem to be different sizes. Some are longer than others? Is that right? I dont see any reason why they should be different sizes.

Sam

BriEOD
04-21-2009, 09:02 PM
I've never seen a torque spec for those. With respect to the multi-size bolts, I'm going to assume this isn't the first time they've been replaced. Typically the bolt head rusts out. On my old boat I had to grind some of them off, remove the manifold and than use vice grips to get the bolt out.

A tip from the wise JimN when reinstalling: get the manifold in place and the bolts started, then slip the gasket in (top down) and tighten the rest of the way. This is the best way I've found.

drylandfish
04-21-2009, 09:07 PM
The PCM Service Manual for my 351 Ford says on p.187 that the torque limit for exhaust manifold bolts is 18-24 ft.lbs. Don't know what engine you have, but I hope this helps.

samtechwaterski
04-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the reply. but How would you install the gasket with the bolts started? The bolts have to go through the gasket?

Sam

BriEOD
04-21-2009, 09:22 PM
Sorry, install two bolts (the ones on the ends), then drop the gasket in and install the remaining bolts. The gasket has a "u" shaped niche on the end in lieu of a hole.

BriEOD
04-21-2009, 09:23 PM
The gasket.