PDA

View Full Version : battery cables

flat broke
04-21-2009, 06:33 PM
hey guys I think my battery cables are to old causing to much resistance making hard starts. any rec places to get cables ? or just make your own ? like some 00 gauge welding cable :)

Sodar
04-21-2009, 06:50 PM
www.genuinedealz.com

They will custom make them for you or you can do it yourself. They do a great job and there prices are really good.

flat broke
04-22-2009, 01:03 AM
hey thank you very much for your time and reply. it is nice to get good info that helps me out a lot :)

samtechwaterski
04-22-2009, 11:11 AM
I took my cables to a battery shop in town. They make custom cables. Much cheaper than buying cables off the rack. We managed to save both of my cables by just cutting it back until the cable was clean and then crimped new ends on.

The cable was then tested for resistance and passed perfectly.

Sam

Shane21
04-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Was your hard starting problem everytime you turned the key or did it vary? Mine starts fine when we first hit the water, but after about 3 hours it gets worse. Did the battery cable change solve the problem?

SPLIFF
04-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Was your hard starting problem everytime you turned the key or did it vary? Mine starts fine when we first hit the water, but after about 3 hours it gets worse. Did the battery cable change solve the problem?
both me and shane21 have the same problem i have 95 prostar 350 starts 1st time then a few hours later it has problems starting.

compass lakester
04-27-2009, 08:28 PM
I had a similar problem with my truck some time back. Started like a champ when cold but after it got to operating temp, don't turn it off! The starter would strain and drag like the battery was about to die. It had to cool 30 minutes to an hour before it would turn over correctly. I figured charging system so I took it to a shop and had it checked...battery and charging system were fine. The mechanic checked the current draw on the starter and it was about 3X normal. New starter, no more problems. You may want to consider having that checked.

BrandonKTM
04-28-2009, 11:54 AM
hey guys I think my battery cables are to old causing to much resistance making hard starts. any rec places to get cables ? or just make your own ? like some 00 gauge welding cable :) Age should have little to do with resistance unless you have corrosion. The bigger problem is too light of a wire. The 00 you mentioned should work fine as that is bigger than any stock ones I have seen. Just yesterday I switched from a 4 to a 1 Gauge on my 6 volt Ford tractor and it solved the problem with starting. (I had switched to 4 as that was all they had at TSC and did not realize the problem it would create as that wire is only 1 ft long). Boat cables are usually several ft long and problem is exaggerated.

Shane21
04-28-2009, 02:15 PM
I've had my starter off and taken to a shop. They tested it, said it was fine, and put new brushes in it. Same problem. Could this 35 year old starter shop be wrong??? SPLIFF is yours still doing it? What have you done so far? Also, mine will click like the relay is out sometimes. Brand new relay though. I'm at wits end.