PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Cruise.

M-Funf
04-21-2009, 01:09 PM
I thought I would share some pictures from a trip we took last week.

My BIL is in the navy. He's a LCPO with 20 years in. His responsibility is weapons and weapons systems. He just got back from the gulf on the USS Nitze (DDG 94). It is a Arleigh-Burke Class Guided Missile Destroyer. It is identical to the Bainbridge that was the center of attention two weeks ago in Somalia.

The Tiger Cruise is an opportunity for family and friends to join the crew on their return to home (in this case, Norfolk VA). They picked us up in Jacksonville (Mayport NAS). We spent 4 days and nights aboard the ship. While on board, we lived like they live, ate their food, slept in racks, etc. We got to shoot 50 cal guns off the missile deck, got a demo of the 5" gun (10 rounds rapid fire), a demo of the 25mm chaingun, and the Phalanx (they call it seawizz) We were cruising home with the USS Theodore Roosevelt (Nuclear Carrier) and the USS Mason (another Destroyer), a great airshow with sonic boom, and other events.

I was able to see the Central Command room, engine room, missile silo's, the magazine of the 5" gun, etc.

Our weather was not great. We were in 12' seas the last two days of the trip, and that was not pleasant for anyone. We also arrived in VA one day late to the disappointment of the sailors on board, who were really wanting to get home after 7 months at sea.

This was an incredible opportunity for us, and I thought it would be nice to share some pictures with you.

If you EVER have the opportunity to do this, I would highly recommend it.

I put the pics on a shared shutterfly page. You don't need to sign up, just use the information below if you want to see the pics.

Site Name: Tiger Cruise 2009
Site URL: http://tigercruise2009.shutterfly.com/

Password: tiger (case sensitive)

If there are any pictures you like in larger full size format, just let me know. I also have a couple of videos of shooting the 50, 240, and 25mm.

Oh, and the wake is HUGE!

point1234
04-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Very cool, thanks for sharing

thijs
04-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks for sharing these. What an experience it must have been. I loved that wake! WOW!

puck_11
04-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Glad you had fun! :)

Oh, and the wake is HUGE!

When you're ready you can try on a carrier wake ;)

M-Funf
04-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks for sharing these. What an experience it must have been. I loved that wake! WOW!

The next picture would have been great. We went from all ahead full to all astern full. The ship stopped in its own length and started moving backward. A HUGE wall of water crashed up and over the flight deck, soaking anyone who was back there. :uglyhamme

Unfortunately, my lame camera doesn't turn on fast enough :mad:

shepherd
04-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Did you get to visit the martini bar?

j/k. Very cool trip. Did they have to do background checks on the passengers before you boarded? I assume there were certain areas on the ship that were off-limits...

CantRepeat
04-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Looks like fun, but not for seven months at sea.

M-Funf
04-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Did you get to visit the martini bar?

j/k. Very cool trip. Did they have to do background checks on the passengers before you boarded? I assume there were certain areas on the ship that were off-limits...

I must have missed the martini bar 8p. They were very specific about what NOT to bring. Number 1: Alcohol :rolleyes:

They did background checks on us, and we also had to take and pass an anti-terrorist awareness training program. The real responsibility is on our Sponsor (our BIL), who is a Chief.

Nothing was off limits. We got to go through the Central Command room (where all the good stuff happens), got to see the area where missile targeting is done, we went down into the missile silo (pretty boring, actually).

Being underneath the 5" gun in the magazine while they fired it was awesome! I could look up and see the breech, watch the round go up from the magazine and get slammed into the breech, and watch the spent shell slide back out of the breech. They fired 10 rounds in about 20 seconds. The room would shake with each round.

During the last night, the seas were really rough. The ship would pitch way up over a wave, and then come surfing down the other side. It shook like an earthquake when that happened.

A.I. Rider
04-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Very very cool stuff. Thanks for sharing all of the pics.