PDA

View Full Version : Hangover?

flipper
04-21-2009, 11:25 AM
Alright, who has the magic hangover cure? I've herd and tried quite a few, but have yet to find one that works. The only one I've found is don't drink, but it's too late for that:D

Slinkyredfoot
04-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Eat about a pound of freshly cooked bacon and lots of Gatorade, this always worked for me when I used to drink last weekend....:D

ncsone
04-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Gatorade and/or lots of water. Does not 'cure' it for me, but works better than anything else I have found.

flipper
04-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Gatorade is a must

east tx skier
04-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Drink a glass of water in between drinks throughout the night.

VOLFAN
04-21-2009, 11:41 AM
To start drinking again has always worked for me.

Sodar
04-21-2009, 11:43 AM

Exactly.

A beer in the morning helps with the shock.

TMCNo1
04-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Exactly.

A beer in the morning helps with the shock.

I used to this this is the only way for my head to stop hurting, http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_4_132.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000)

flipper
04-21-2009, 11:53 AM

The boss would love that:rolleyes:

scott023
04-21-2009, 12:10 PM

If you pour him one, I find the boss usually doesn't mind...:D

Shane21
04-21-2009, 12:20 PM
It depends on what type of hangover you have. For just a headache, hit the aspirin (preferably 2 before you go to sleep) and a Dr. Pepper. That's the magic cure for me. However, if you have that stomach bent over hangover, there's only one thing to do....Use the ole finger down the throat and get that stuff out. Worse part about that is you feel like you wasted your money on dinner....hahahah

SPLIFF
04-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Alright, who has the magic hangover cure? I've herd and tried quite a few, but have yet to find one that works. The only one I've found is don't drink, but it's too late for that:D

1st wake up take 2 bc powder with oj then get in hot shower to relieve pain and let bcs kick in.
2nd way screwdriver or bloodymary and vicodine

the best way is drink a lot of water and take bc's before u go to sleep

VOLFAN
04-21-2009, 12:36 PM

It will tend to get ya sent home, but what the heck that is more time to drink more!

aremsing
04-21-2009, 02:13 PM
McDonald's breakfast with a large fountain coke and extra hashbrown see to work

TX.X-30 fan
04-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Hot steamy monkey sex then take your pic of the other remedies. :D

VOLFAN
04-21-2009, 02:31 PM
Hot steamy monkey sex then take your pic of the other remedies. :D

Is that where you squat down and she backs up on it?

iplount
04-21-2009, 02:36 PM
I second the glass of water between each drink then 3 to 4 advil before bed. This will prevent the pounding headache the next day. If you are so hammered that you feel like throwing up, purge. Gotta get that stuff out. Next morning I like a tomato beer or bloody Mary, advil, and lots of water.

What's wrong here I know way to much about curing a hangover! Maybe less drinking would work too, but what fun is that?

flipper
04-21-2009, 02:41 PM
Maybe less drinking would work too, but what fun is that?

That's what I'm saying:D

Monte
04-21-2009, 02:44 PM
What the heck is tomato beer??

CantRepeat
04-21-2009, 02:44 PM
It depends on how bad off you are. If you're gonna blow there isn't anything you can do about it so just do it.

After you blow or if you feel like you're not, take the Excedrin Migraine and at least two full glasses of water. Try not to jar your head around too much and the headache should be gone in 20 minutes.

Advil and the like are for muscular pain and won’t work as well on head pain. Now if you fell and twisted an ankle then they are good for that.

shepherd
04-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Just relax and enjoy it. It's your body telling you you're still alive...................barely. :cool:

sand2snow22
04-21-2009, 02:49 PM
What the heck is tomato beer??

Never heard of a bloody beer? I'm sure someone would know......

iplount
04-21-2009, 02:52 PM
A little tomato juice, beer and a dash of salt. Proobably is an acquired taste.

flipper
04-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Never heard of a bloody beer? I'm sure someone would know......

Hopefully Johnny will chime in. If anybody would know, he would.

TX.X-30 fan
04-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Is that where you squat down and she backs up on it?

Works for me. :D

Monte
04-21-2009, 03:12 PM
A little tomato juice, beer and a dash of salt. Proobably is an acquired taste.

Mmmmmm well, more for you then;) A local dentist used to make tomato wine.. Nope never tried that either:rolleyes:

jeverett
04-21-2009, 03:14 PM
The real cure is don't punish your liver, but if you can't help yourself here is the magic cure.
Drink two or three times your daily intake of water (you are probably dehydrated).
Find the nearest O2 bar and suck on pure O2 for about 10-20 min.

Your hangover will be over!

wakeX2wake
04-21-2009, 03:25 PM
excedrin migrane... gatorade... greasy food... couch... and a remote and a tv connected to cable/satellite... you'll be ready to go again on Monday... o sorry... this is my sunday routine

Wake2wake
04-21-2009, 03:33 PM
ive never tried it, but a buddy of mine brought home some Budweiser Chelada a while back, as far as i could tell, it was just Budweiser and tomato juice mixed together.

TX.X-30 fan
04-21-2009, 03:34 PM
The real cure is don't punish your liver, but if you can't help yourself here is the magic cure.
Drink two or three times your daily intake of water (you are probably dehydrated).
Find the nearest O2 bar and suck on pure O2 for about 10-20 min.

Your hangover will be over!

02 is a great idea, They used to have then in vegas.

brucemac
04-21-2009, 04:07 PM
most of you guys hopefully all know this, but taking anything like tylenol, excedrin or advil before you go to bed is not a good idea after an evening of heavy drinking. it's super hard on your liver and kidneys. drinking lots of water throughout the night or at least before going to bed is the best preventive maintenance i've ever heard of. continuing with water in the morning and a multi-vitamin or b12 complex along with a hot shower will speed recovery as well. gatorade is good because it's got sugar and aids in replacing electrolites. cheers!

JohnE
04-21-2009, 04:20 PM
most of you guys hopefully all know this, but taking anything like tylenol, excedrin or advil before you go to bed is not a good idea after an evening of heavy drinking. it's super hard on your liver and kidneys. drinking lots of water throughout the night or at least before going to bed is the best preventive maintenance i've ever heard of. continuing with water in the morning and a multi-vitamin or b12 complex along with a hot shower will speed recovery as well. gatorade is good because it's got sugar and aids in replacing electrolites. cheers!

We need Bigmac here to be certain, but I've heard not to take tylenol or vicodin within 2 days before or after drinking. But Advil is OK....

Aside from that I'm fairly certain you can't be drunk and hungover at the same time, so I've been know to delay the inevitable.....

Beer and tomato juice is a Redeye I thought. Pretty popular around here.

SkiDog
04-21-2009, 04:36 PM
I really feel sorry for all you fools that don't drink, knowing that every morning you wake up and think, this is the BEST I'm gonna feel all day!:D

TX.X-30 fan
04-21-2009, 04:37 PM
The best would be a home dialysis machine, wake up hook up read the paper have some eggs and chill for an hour or so. :D

barefoot
04-21-2009, 04:45 PM
The best cure for a hangover that I've found is jumping into a cold lake and skiing it off :D I always seem to want a beer after that.

c_craig
04-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Pedialite (industrial strength Gatorade). Tastes like sweat, but works great. Waiting on Big Mac's advise, but anti-inflamatory (Ibuprofin) is for injuries, pain reliever (Tylenol, Excedrin, etc.) is for headaches and hangovers.

JohnE
04-22-2009, 07:20 AM
Pedialite (industrial strength Gatorade). Tastes like sweat, but works great. Waiting on Big Mac's advise, but anti-inflamatory (Ibuprofin) is for injuries, pain reliever (Tylenol, Excedrin, etc.) is for headaches and hangovers.

I don't know why but tylenol doesn't touch a headache for me and advil makes it go away real quick.

92 190 PS
04-22-2009, 08:12 AM
Back in my fire department days we had the quickest recovery I've ever seen. Oxygen for 15 minutes and start the IV flowing. Bag of fluid and 15 minutes on the oxygen and you're good as new. Then we just hoped for a slow morning....

CantRepeat
04-22-2009, 08:17 AM
I really feel sorry for all you fools that don't drink, knowing that every morning you wake up and think, this is the BEST I'm gonna feel all day!:D

More or less, Frank Sinatra.

CantRepeat
04-22-2009, 08:17 AM
Back in my fire department days we had the quickest recovery I've ever seen. Oxygen for 15 minutes and start the IV flowing. Bag of fluid and 15 minutes on the oxygen and you're good as new. Then we just hoped for a slow morning....

I have used IVs in the past but figured few people have access to them.

bigmac
04-22-2009, 08:18 AM
I'm not much of an expert on the subject - I rarely drink beyond my liver's capacity to metabolize alcohol, and when I do, I don't get hangovers. Additionally, I'm a surgeon, and therefore most of my therepeutic paradigm for treating the human body involves sharp instruments, not pills. Nevertheless, from reading some of the posts in this thread, I'll render an opinion based on the maxim..."in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king...".

The biggest thing that makes hangovers so mysterious is that hangovers are a result of multiple factors, and many of those factors have different effects on different persons. The actual ethanol itself is probably the biggest part of the issue, but also various contaminants and components of the various types of liquors play a role (congeners in red wine, fusil oils in cheap vodka, for example). Probably the biggest factors are dehydration and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). In that regard Gatorade (or something similar containing glucose and water) is probably the best, most consistent "cure" for a hangover, but definitely helps most if that's taken before you wake up and observe that "I feel like ****". A big slug of Gatorade before you pass out would be most effective. Drinking that after you roll out of bed the next morning - not so much.

Vitamins may also help, B12 likely being the most effective, but B12 isn't absorbed very well through the intestinal tract so we're talking either an injection, or (less effective) might be some of the tabs you put under your tongue. B12 oral tablets or multivitamins - don't bother. If you drink a lot (get drunk once a week or so) then thiamine (vitamin B1) becomes more of an issue.

Medication-wise....any of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications like aspirin or ibuprofen will likely be helpful on the morning after -- might even be more helpful if taken while drinking to excess, but often the effect of that class of medication on the stomach lining will exacerbate the already-nasty effect of the ethanol on that stomach lining and might serve only to make nausea worse. Acetominophen (Tylenol etc) - unlikely to help anything in that none of the effects of that class of drug address specifically any of the effects of ethanol on the body. AND...acetominophen defintely does put a fairly significant metabolic load on the liver. That can be a problem in conjunction with the load that alcohol metabolism puts on the liver, and is even more of a dangerous problem for those of you who are more "practiced" drinkers. I would stay away from acetominophen compounds in conjunction with ethanol. Bear in mind that many of the narcotic pain medications you may have lying around the house are likely to have acetominophen in conjunction with the narcotic (Percocet, Vicodin etc).

damaged442
04-22-2009, 08:33 AM
Gatorade always worked for me. I had more than my fair share of early classes in college. When you stop drinking at last call, it makes for a brutal trip to get to an 8:00 class. I'd sit in the closest desk to the door, just in case I had to make a run for it, and force down the gatorade.

Friend of mine would always go with the IV bag, his recovery was muuuuuch faster. '

My parents told me to go with the beer and tomato juice, they called them Beery Marys. Since I can't even stand the smell of tomato juice, that definitely wasn't going to work.

Going for a ski or wakeboard run always seemed to help too!

TX.X-30 fan
04-22-2009, 08:35 AM
What about the IV fluids and oxygen, sounds reasonable.

JohnE
04-22-2009, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the input as always, Bigmac.

bigmac
04-22-2009, 08:52 AM
What about the IV fluids and oxygen, sounds reasonable.

IV fluids....good idea as long as your drinking buddy isn't too drunk to start an IV. It would likely be more efficient than drinking Gatorade and would avoid any nausea that might occur with putting a lot of fluid in your stomach.

Oxygen...I don't know. The theory is that it might speed up the metabolism of ethanol and its toxins. I am inclined to doubt it, but it is true IMHO that supplemental oxygen tends to decrease nausea, and it's cheap, so I'd be in favor of recommending O2, on the basis of "can't hurt, might help".

Seems like it would take a pretty serious drinker to be keeping IV fluids and oxygen around. Might be one of the indicators for considering a 12-step program.....:D

JohnE
04-22-2009, 08:54 AM
IV fluids....good idea as long as your drinking buddy isn't too drunk to start an IV..

LMAO at that line....:D

flipper
04-22-2009, 09:03 AM
IV fluids....good idea as long as your drinking buddy isn't too drunk to start an IV.

That's classic

h2oskifreak
04-22-2009, 09:27 AM
My former drinking buddy's wife was a nurse. We would come home all wound up and when she knew we were in a really bad way she wouls give us an I.V. I know that your thinking this is a little extreme, but it does work much better than anything I ever had before or since. If it is available, I highly recommend it.

bigmac
04-22-2009, 12:03 PM
My former drinking buddy's wife was a nurse. We would come home all wound up and when she knew we were in a really bad way she wouls give us an I.V. I know that your thinking this is a little extreme, but it does work much better than anything I ever had before or since. If it is available, I highly recommend it.
Why did she keep IV fluids, tubing, and venous catheters around the house? My wife's a critical care nurse and I'm a doctor - we don't have anything like that in our little home pharmacy...

...just curious....

JohnE
04-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Why did she keep IV fluids, tubing, and venous catheters around the house? My wife's a critical care nurse and I'm a doctor - we don't have anything like that in our little home pharmacy...

...just curious....

Can you send some to New England then since you won't need it?:D J/K

h2oskifreak
04-22-2009, 01:14 PM

...just curious....

Not sure why they were there or if it was even legal. This guy was a party animal for sure. He and I have gone seperate ways because he was a guy that it turns out couldn't be trusted. I have heard the wife is gone now too. Could have been the drinking or the lying or maybe a combination of both, who knows. Everything in moderation as they say.

loeweb
04-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Drink as much water as you can possibly stomach before going to bed. Gatorade has also helped me out at times, but whatever it is try and do it before bed, not the morning after.

94PS190
04-22-2009, 04:53 PM
I have a set of torches @ work. O2 works great, just make sure you don't inhale the acetylene!

djhuff
04-23-2009, 01:57 PM
I do several B12 tablets prior to the heavy drinking, that seems to help, but you have to stay hydrated.

Drinking GOOD liquor usually helps too (keep the hangover away).

Sodar
04-23-2009, 02:04 PM
A few paramedic friends of mine have a toolbox labeled "The HangOver Kit". It is full of all the necessary items, including IV's and O2. I rarely get so jacked up that I get a real hangover and when I do, I let the hangover run it's course so I remember to not be such an idiot the next time.

Anyways, these guys party hard and I have yet to see them complain of a hang over. Me? I would rather have a few beers, go to bed and wake up early to get on the lake.

funk
04-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Anyways, these guys party hard and I have yet to see them complain of a hang over. Me? I would rather have a few beers, go to bed and wake up early to get on the lake.

Hangovers remind me, lots of water and a stop by Nick's for a breakfast burrito.

Sodar
04-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Hangovers remind me, lots of water and a stop by Nick's for a breakfast burrito.

If you are getting drunk in town, that is a prerequisite!!!!

Had to make a run for the girlfriend and her friends last Sunday morning... Main Street got the best of them! 8p

justmowit
04-24-2009, 01:08 AM
that hangover kit reminds me of a couple of fire fighter friends that used to take iv bags and some other stuff to the river and he said that he could feel the hangover go away as soon as they started the drip. Good way to do it if your gonna be gettin all boozed up and want to be worth a crap the next day.

bigmac
04-24-2009, 09:30 AM
that hangover kit reminds me of a couple of fire fighter friends that used to take iv bags and some other stuff to the river and he said that he could feel the hangover go away as soon as they started the drip. Good way to do it if your gonna be gettin all boozed up and want to be worth a crap the next day.
Again, the only advantage to IV fluids vs drinking Gatorade is that the IV may result in less nausea. If nausea isn't an issue - if one can drink the Gatorade - there's no net advantage to one vs the other.

Shane21
04-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Man, you guys really ran with this thread. Sounds like a lot of trial and error that took place....

flipper
04-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Man, you guys really ran with this thread. Sounds like a lot of trial and error that took place....

Only one way to learn:D

TMCNo1
04-27-2009, 11:08 AM

Beats AA, at least here on TT there can be a lot of experimenting!
At AA everyone just talks, here you have a choice!:rolleyes::D

flipper
04-27-2009, 11:11 AM

AA is for people with a problem, I don't have a problem with my drinking:D

h2oskifreak
04-27-2009, 03:48 PM

My name is h2oskifreak and I'm a ski-aholic

TX.X-30 fan
04-27-2009, 04:16 PM
I only made 6 steps got winded went back down and got a beer.