PDA

View Full Version : Credit Card Fraud!!!

6ballsisall
05-18-2005, 07:53 PM
Eek Gad!!! I just looked at my credit card statement online!!! Someone has my credit card # and has charged $6k worth of airline tickets to it!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: Visa tells me it will take 1-2 months for this to get credited back to me!!! This is BS, I carry $6k worth of someone elses S*** on my credit while THEY figure it out!!! I am F******* fuming!!!! :mad:

Tom023
05-18-2005, 08:05 PM
They should not charge you interest on items that are in "dispute" which these should be considered. I had the same thing happen a few months ago and it took two statement periods for them to disappear. I did get a free membership to Amnesty International out of it; it appears my thief had a conscience.

6ballsisall
05-18-2005, 08:07 PM
They should not charge you interest on items that are in "dispute" which these should be considered. I had the same thing happen a few months ago and it took two statement periods for them to disappear. I did get a free membership to Amnesty International out of it; it appears my thief had a conscience.

The Bastard bought lots of airline tickets on Alaskan Airlines. I think I need to show up with about 10 football players at the gate when the thief trys to fly out and have a little "talk" with the individual!!

MrsJMT
05-18-2005, 08:29 PM
Tom023 is right, no interest should accrue on the fraud items. This happened to us on our Capital One account. They actually called us one night and questioned the charge (it was $800), and they took it off immediately and sent us paperwork to fill out to confirm it wasn't our charge. Visa should do the same for you.

6ballsisall
05-18-2005, 08:34 PM
If this affects my credit I am going to really be ready to kill!! We are in the middle of re-fi'ing our house, this better not affect our rates.

I am on hold with Alaska Airlines right now to see if they will give me the name of the person and iten for however is charging on my card. ;)

MrsJMT
05-18-2005, 08:37 PM
Shouldn't Visa do a conference call with you and them to void the tickets and charges?

JimN
05-18-2005, 08:39 PM
I don't know if the airline will tell you the name/address, but the credit card company will definitely get it. Then, they contact the police if it's a local person or the FBI if it's interstate.

Do you throw your statements out with the garbage? I don't need to tell anyone that if any account numbers or personall info is in the trash, someone will find it. Also, there are a lot of dirtbags who work in places where we all use our cards and they grab the card # and can sell it. Then, there's always spyware.

flyinryn
05-18-2005, 08:40 PM
well i got to ask,

did you at least get some frequent flyer mileage for them using the card.

AirJunky
05-18-2005, 08:41 PM
Good luck. Been there & Visa never even did any investigation at all. After you battle with them for a bit, it should be removed from your account, interest free. But they certainly won't do anything like go to the gate & arrest anyone.
Frankly, I'd be surprised if Alaska would give you a name either. If nothing else, try & get them to send you an itenery so you can have your TT henchmen visit the gate for ya..... ;)
Good luck!

bcampbe7
05-18-2005, 08:54 PM
That sucks bigtime, Jeff!
That happenned to my wife and I not too long ago. It wasn't $6K mind you but ironically the person bought Christian books with our Visa. What a hypocrit.
I am so paranoid about my credit/check cards.

Question:
Do Visa check cards carry the same protection?

stevo137
05-18-2005, 08:58 PM
That sucks bigtime, Jeff!
That happenned to my wife and I not too long ago. It wasn't $6K mind you but ironically the person bought Christian books with our Visa. What a hypocrit.
I am so paranoid about my credit/check cards.

Question:

Jeff, sorry to hear the news. It's tough out there.
Beau,At least we know that God's word shall not return void.

east tx skier
05-18-2005, 09:00 PM
That's happened to me before. AMEX credited my account almost immediately. Turned out to be a waitress. Good thing I saved my receipt from the restaurant with her name on it. It's not right that you should have to shoulder that for so long.

6ballsisall
05-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Shouldn't Visa do a conference call with you and them to void the tickets and charges?

I don't know, I am on hold with them now on my own trying to sort it out.

We don't throw any statements away (pay all bills online) so we know it isn't someone rumagging thru the trash.

It's either my assistant (and I give that a 1 in a 1000 chance) or some punk who got it off the web.

6ballsisall
05-18-2005, 09:04 PM
Alaska Airlines won't give me the info, however, they will give it to the Police! So, Dearborn sheriff's department..... your phone is about to ring!

MrsJMT
05-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Question:
Isn't that what the commercial with Trump digging his out of the dumpster is, that you're not liable for fraud with checkcards too?

MrsJMT
05-18-2005, 09:24 PM
Alaska Airlines won't give me the info, however, they will give it to the Police! So, Dearborn sheriff's department..... your phone is about to ring!
It's probably a good idea to have an official police report, anyway; just sucks that you have to spend so much of your time cleaning up someone else's mess.

Leroy
05-18-2005, 10:07 PM
The number is so easy to lift and then use now. I had this happen while we lived in Belgium. Think the hotel in Hungary lifted my number and people were using it in Spain to buy jewelery and other luxury items. Visa took care of it.

Should not impact your credit rating.

tph
05-19-2005, 01:39 AM
If this affects my credit I am going to really be ready to kill!! We are in the middle of re-fi'ing our house, this better not affect our rates.

Some recommend reporting the fraud to the major credit agencies and SSA. Here are the #'s:

1.) Equifax: 1-800-525-6285

2.) Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742

3.) Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289

4.) Social Security Administration (fraud line): 1-800-269-0271

phecksel
05-19-2005, 11:20 AM
Everybody reading this should immediately "opt-out"

One of the biggest sources of identity theft is from offers sent to your mail box.

Call (888) 567-8688 to remove your name from lists sold to credit card companies by consumer reporting firms such as Equifax and Experian.
Stop solicitations from the Direct Marketing Associationís 5,200 member companies, which represent 80 percent of these marketers. Get forms for $5. Or write for free forms to the Direct Marketing Association, Mail Preference Service, P.O. Box 643, Carmel, NY 10512.
Remove yourself from mortgage refinancing and home equity loan offers by calling the Acxiom U.S. Consumer Hotline at (877) 774-2094 or writing to DataQuick, Attn: Opt-Out Dept., 9620 Towne Center Drive, San Diego, CA 92121.

My nephew applied for a car loan, and was turned down because he never made any payments on his credit card. It is suspected his mom's idiot husband (not father) took the card out in his name!

6ballsisall
05-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Well here's the deal some of the tickets were booked online, some over the phone.

Here's the names of the people that used my card. I want the world to see, perhaps they will get caught very soon! For their sake, it would be better by the police than by me

James Weatherington- Flew from Las Vegas to Seattle yesterday on Alaska Airlines $721.80

Laverne Woods- Flew From Seattle to Las Vegas on Monday on Alaska Airlines- $186.20

Anna Wyatt- Flys June 5th from Seattle to San Jose, then back out of Oakland to Seattle- Alaska Airlines

Jessica Ndungy- Flys June 6th from Seattle to Las Vegas- Open ticket

Beattrice Mugo- Seattle to Las Vegas- Open Ticket

If anyone knows who the correct police/agency to contact for this sort of deal is I would really appreciate it! I am tired of waiting on hold with my credit card company.

Dan K
05-19-2005, 11:30 AM
I do not use debit cards becuase they have higher liability to the holder in the event of fraud. Credit cards are usually $50 once reported. The debit cards offered to me all had higher liabilities.

jwchapman
05-19-2005, 11:42 AM
This happened to me a couple of years ago. Someone got my number and charged two Western Union money transfers to them. Here are a couple of things I found out:

1 - Write the credit card company about the fraud. Calling is fine but it has to be in writing - either using their forms or just a letter outlining the fraud (return receipt just to be safe). Once the items are disputed, in writing, they will not accrue interest and will be removed if the claim is valid (obviously in this case).

2 - Once the charges are disputed, and credited back to you, you don't have a case against the thieves. You are not out any money and the credit card company will not report you as delinquent. The wronged party is now the credit card company - they have to pursue any actions against the people who used your card. As frustrating as it is, the credit card companies rarely pursue these cases - it just isn't worth their trouble to try to collect.

The biggest hassle for me was having to change some automatic charges to my new credit card number. Other than that it was a relatively painless process. Good luck.

bcampbe7
05-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Everybody reading this should immediately "opt-out"

One of the biggest sources of identity theft is from offers sent to your mail box.

Call (888) 567-8688 to remove your name from lists sold to credit card companies by consumer reporting firms such as Equifax and Experian.
Stop solicitations from the Direct Marketing Associationís 5,200 member companies, which represent 80 percent of these marketers. Get forms for $5. Or write for free forms to the Direct Marketing Association, Mail Preference Service, P.O. Box 643, Carmel, NY 10512.
Remove yourself from mortgage refinancing and home equity loan offers by calling the Acxiom U.S. Consumer Hotline at (877) 774-2094 or writing to DataQuick, Attn: Opt-Out Dept., 9620 Towne Center Drive, San Diego, CA 92121.

My nephew applied for a car loan, and was turned down because he never made any payments on his credit card. It is suspected his mom's idiot husband (not father) took the card out in his name!

I recently signed-up for this service. Hope it works as advertised.

LakePirate
05-19-2005, 11:54 AM
I believe that the secret service handles these types of things. Be sure to contact your state bereau of investigation as well.

Long story short, a guy I used to work with stole a bunch of SS# durning intramural basketball games (they were on the score sheet) and ran up all sorts of credit card debt to those guys. They busted him pretty good. Real quite guy too.

FrankSchwab
05-19-2005, 12:07 PM
The wronged party is now the credit card company - they have to pursue any actions against the people who used your card. As frustrating as it is, the credit card companies rarely pursue these cases - it just isn't worth their trouble to try to collect.

Actually, this is the most infuriating part, and the entire reason credit card fraud is so rampant.

FRAUD DOESN'T COST THE CREDIT CARD COMPANIES ANYTHING.

That's right; the credit card companies simply push the cost back down to the merchants. When Visa reverses the charges on your card, they simply reverse the credit to Alaska Airlines at the same time. Visa isn't out a dime, except for the time they spent paying lip service to anti-fraud activities.

Don't believe me? Ask any businessman who accepts Visa. Even the Visa authorization doesn't save him - if Visa decides the transaction was fraudulent (say, the true owner of the card complains), they'll charge it back to the merchant in a heartbeat.

So Visa, who controls the authentication process, has little incentive to improve it. The company that accepts the card has little alternative to accepting whatever terms Visa wants. And all the rest of us live with the consequences.

I'll go crawl back in my hole now.

jimmer2880
05-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Actually, this is the most infuriating part, and the entire reason credit card fraud is so rampant.

FRAUD DOESN'T COST THE CREDIT CARD COMPANIES ANYTHING.

That's right; the credit card companies simply push the cost back down to the merchants. When Visa reverses the charges on your card, they simply reverse the credit to Alaska Airlines at the same time. Visa isn't out a dime, except for the time they spent paying lip service to anti-fraud activities.

Don't believe me? Ask any businessman who accepts Visa. Even the Visa authorization doesn't save him - if Visa decides the transaction was fraudulent (say, the true owner of the card complains), they'll charge it back to the merchant in a heartbeat.

So Visa, who controls the authentication process, has little incentive to improve it. The company that accepts the card has little alternative to accepting whatever terms Visa wants. And all the rest of us live with the consequences.

I'll go crawl back in my hole now.

So - does that mean that the company now has a case against the credit card theif? I think that the closer it gets to a "mom & pop" shop, the more willing they would be to go after somefor for a $200.00 theft.

6ballsisall
05-19-2005, 01:37 PM
Yep, I deal with this at my work. I recently had a Realtor advertise and turn in ads signed by her, signed a credit card authorization form to charge her American Express for X amount of dollars, proof her ads AND sign them. Two months later American Express calls our corporate office and says she did not authorize these ads and without even giving our company the opportunity to show the contract, credit card authorization, copies of the signed ad proofs, etc.... they credited back her card and billed our company back! It's a screwed up system!

bcampbe7
05-19-2005, 03:46 PM
I see portable card swipes in the future where all the thief has to do is walk up to you and swipe your wallet to get your credit card number. :eek: Chase claims it's secure. We'll see...

http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/19/news/economy/express_pay/index.htm?cnn=yes

AirJunky
05-19-2005, 03:58 PM
Yep, I deal with this at my work. I recently had a Realtor advertise and turn in ads signed by her, signed a credit card authorization form to charge her American Express for X amount of dollars, proof her ads AND sign them. Two months later American Express calls our corporate office and says she did not authorize these ads and without even giving our company the opportunity to show the contract, credit card authorization, copies of the signed ad proofs, etc.... they credited back her card and billed our company back! It's a screwed up system!
As I understand it, in a case like this your company would be able to file fraud charges against the customer. It's about the same as writing a check on an account that is closed or has no money in it.

6ballsisall
05-21-2005, 09:12 AM
Well, as of now, over $8,000 in airlines tickets slid thru before I was able to get the card canceled. All the flights originate out of Seattle so I am betting it is a group of friends or something that got the card #. Anyone in Seattle want to play "Guido" for a day? :mad:

Tom023
05-21-2005, 10:01 AM
J,

Did you by chance order something from a waterski/board shop in Seattle recently? When I did, immediately after that is when I got hit with my charges so I was suspecting someone in the shop my have used the number. It could have come from any transaction, but I kind of suspected that one because they never shipped my stuff.

6ballsisall
05-21-2005, 10:03 AM
J,

Did you by chance order something from a waterski/board shop in Seattle recently? When I did, immediately after that is when I got hit with my charges so I was suspecting someone in the shop my have used the number. It could have come from any transaction, but I kind of suspected that one because they never shipped my stuff.

Holy S*** yes!!! I ordered a waterski a year ago from a shop and didn't the Acme Prop group buy originate from that area too?

6ballsisall
05-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Well folks, it gets worse!!! I just found out I am the proud owner of a 2002 Corvette, the problem is that it was bought and is registered in Idaho! Man!! What the heck did I do to deserve this karma? :eek:

It's wierd you hear about this happening to people thru the media and you never really imagine it happening to you. My wife watched a documentary recently about a lady who applied for a home loan and the loan officer stole her identity, bought a car identical to her's and got a driver's license in the victims name. The story was pretty emotional. You'd think it would not be something to get mentally down about but I'll tell ya, it really sucks! Feels like someone has stolen who you are and leaves you with alot of distrust for people.

6ballsisall
05-24-2005, 11:19 AM
J,

Hey Tom, I haven't forgot about checking on that. I have just been preoccupied that I haven't been able to look into this. I hope to be able to dig thru the 2004 receipt box this weekend.

Brn85ss
05-24-2005, 11:25 AM
Well folks, it gets worse!!! I just found out I am the proud owner of a 2002 Corvette, the problem is that it was bought and is registered in Idaho! Man!! What the heck did I do to deserve this karma? :eek:

It's wierd you hear about this happening to people thru the media and you never really imagine it happening to you. My wife watched a documentary recently about a lady who applied for a home loan and the loan officer stole her identity, bought a car identical to her's and got a driver's license in the victims name. The story was pretty emotional. You'd think it would not be something to get mentally down about but I'll tell ya, it really sucks! Feels like someone has stolen who you are and leaves you with alot of distrust for people.

Did they steal your identity or just your card #?This is scareing me.

LakePirate
05-24-2005, 11:25 AM
Hey JR can I borrow the Vette this weekend?

6ballsisall
05-24-2005, 11:27 AM
Did they steal your identity or just your card #?This is scareing me.

Identity. I just popped up on my credit report.

6ballsisall
05-24-2005, 11:27 AM
Hey JR can I borrow the Vette this weekend?

Sure, so long as you are willing to go up to Idaho and get it AND beat the living begeezees out of the individual who did this :D

Edited: Oh, one more thing, you can make the $1,106 monthly payments this bozo setup! :eek3:

bcampbe7
05-24-2005, 12:40 PM
Sure, so long as you are willing to go up to Idaho and get it AND beat the living begeezees out of the individual who did this :D

Edited: Oh, one more thing, you can make the $1,106 monthly payments this bozo setup! :eek3:

Jeff-
Sorry to hear about your trouble. I hope you get this resolved quickly.

Rockman
05-24-2005, 12:47 PM
Well here's the deal some of the tickets were booked online, some over the phone.

Here's the names of the people that used my card. I want the world to see, perhaps they will get caught very soon! For their sake, it would be better by the police than by me

James Weatherington- Flew from Las Vegas to Seattle yesterday on Alaska Airlines $721.80

Laverne Woods- Flew From Seattle to Las Vegas on Monday on Alaska Airlines- $186.20

Anna Wyatt- Flys June 5th from Seattle to San Jose, then back out of Oakland to Seattle- Alaska Airlines

If anyone knows who the correct police/agency to contact for this sort of deal is I would really appreciate it! I am tired of waiting on hold with my credit card company.

So who's meeting me in Vegas on the 6th of June to find this person at the airport? This sounds like a story that should start with..."Watch this...and hold my beer..." :D

If reported to the Veags PD, can they set something up at the airport?

Sorry to hear about this bad news. I think a linch mob is the answer.

X2M
05-24-2005, 12:54 PM

You would think that with all of the "terror alerts" that the airlines would be all over this. Call your local FBI office. You never know.

OhioProstar
05-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Jeff...sorry to hear about this. I would think that the airline would want to work with you very closely on this. One of two things can happen 1) those people flying used their real info which would result in a fast arrest 2) They are flying on fake IDs...which would be a huge problem for them. I would contact their PR group and ask them what the local TV stations will think of a story about a poor guy from the midwest that got taken by a bunch of crooks right under their "security" noses. The TSA might want to look into this too if a bunch of travellers are moving easily on false IDs and stolen tickets. Seattle is Alaska Air's headquarters so mention whatever stations are up there.

Here is a number for one of my customers inside Alaska Air....tell them that you must have the wrong number and were looking for PR dept.

206-392-5040

jayocheskey
05-24-2005, 01:19 PM
Stay on top of these people. Call every day 3 or 4 times a day; I know it will get old fast, but that's the only way to get results. Keep yourself and your situation in the forefront of their minds.

6ballsisall
05-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Jeff...sorry to hear about this. I would think that the airline would want to work with you very closely on this. One of two things can happen 1) those people flying used their real info which would result in a fast arrest 2) They are flying on fake IDs...which would be a huge problem for them. I would contact their PR group and ask them what the local TV stations will think of a story about a poor guy from the midwest that got taken by a bunch of crooks right under their "security" noses. The TSA might want to look into this too if a bunch of travellers are moving easily on false IDs and stolen tickets. Seattle is Alaska Air's headquarters so mention whatever stations are up there.

Here is a number for one of my customers inside Alaska Air....tell them that you must have the wrong number and were looking for PR dept.

206-392-5040

Thats awesome! If I have to get that severe with them I will. Thanks alot!

Now if things will be that easy on this damn car!

LakePirate
05-24-2005, 01:57 PM

Man, that is a great deal. :rolleyes:
Too bad they didn't buy a 20 foot open bow MC. :(

AirJunky
05-24-2005, 02:11 PM

So where in Idaho? I live about 5 minutes from the ID/WA border & have a nice baseball bat.

6ballsisall
05-24-2005, 02:18 PM
So where in Idaho? I live about 5 minutes from the ID/WA border & have a nice baseball bat.
The car was sold out of a Boise Idaho dealership, not certain just yet where the thief resides though.

AirJunky
05-24-2005, 02:20 PM
The car was sold out of a Boise Idaho dealership, not certain just yet where the thief resides though.
Figures...... about 8 hours south of me. Too bad, might have been fun. :D

bcampbe7
05-24-2005, 02:21 PM

OhioProstar
05-24-2005, 02:24 PM
These guys probably aren't driving it around...it is most likely on a container heading to Sinapore. If I had to bet money, your name was one of many and the thieves struck quick and off loaded the goods. It may even be that they tickets they bought were used to buy expensive things in other towns and then brought back. You know...don't crap in your back yard.

MrsJMT
05-24-2005, 06:41 PM
OMG :eek:
I'm sure you've already thought of this, but the first thing to do is contact all the credit agencies and file fraud alerts so no more credit can be taken out in your name and/or your wife's. Can you sue the dealer in Idaho for issuing a loan without proper credentials? This happened to Jim when we were first married, the thieves got state IDs issued in his name with their picture. Makes you wonder just what kind of safeguards there are out there...if any.

OhioProstar
05-25-2005, 09:08 AM
Mohammad Atta was issued a Visa 7 weeks after 9/11....enough said.

Mag_Red
05-25-2005, 09:15 AM

Edited: Oh, one more thing, you can make the $1,106 monthly payments this bozo setup! :eek3:Hell he could have had mine for half the cost........I really feel for you Jeff as this has never happened to me ( knock wood ) :mad:

6ballsisall
05-25-2005, 09:34 AM
OMG :eek:
I'm sure you've already thought of this, but the first thing to do is contact all the credit agencies and file fraud alerts so no more credit can be taken out in your name and/or your wife's. Can you sue the dealer in Idaho for issuing a loan without proper credentials? This happened to Jim when we were first married, the thieves got state IDs issued in his name with their picture. Makes you wonder just what kind of safeguards there are out there...if any.

Yep, we put a Fraud status on my credit thru the credit bureaus. It will be really difficult for someone to do something now.

I have spoken to some officials now and the process as I am being told is I need to file suit against the dealer as they believe they were aware how this happened. AND get this..... I have ownership of the car and have to go thru all these processes before this can be expunged from my credit!! :mad: Ole Jeff's Debt to income ratio just went from 23% to 30% all without me doing squat!! :mad: They caught the individual last night who did this, apparently he wasn't to bright, he took the car in and had tried to buy plates for it yesterday!! :rolleyes: He is in custody now. All this happened right in Boise Idaho. Turns out the individual was an ex employee of mine from 4 years ago that was terminated for theft and fraud within that company! Me starting to wonder if he has buddies in Seattle, WA!!

LakePirate
05-25-2005, 09:38 AM
Glad to hear that they caught him.
Now the real fun begins.

6ballsisall
05-25-2005, 09:45 AM
Glad to hear that they caught him.
Now the real fun begins.

Yep, I hope "bubba" finds him and they "get acquainted" :D

pilot02
06-30-2005, 04:49 PM
Amen to Bubba!!

My ordeal is just beginning. Apparently my Visa Checkcard was duplicated somehow and someone used it last tues and Wed to purchase a nice chunk of mdse from Target in Atlanta and a Gas Station. Tried to file a police report this morning in my county of residence (Spalding, GA) and was told I needed to file the complaint in Atlanta for the Target charges and in Douglasville for the Gas Station charge. What a PITA!!

milkmania
06-30-2005, 05:22 PM
from my bank:

Dear Customer:
Visa International Inc. has notified us that a security breach at a debit and credit card processor that processes for merchants has resulted in the disclosure of name and card number data for certain VISA cards. We understand that the breach occurred sometime between last fall and this spring. The entity involved is neither affiliated nor related to ****** Bank.

Your ****** CheckCard number and the name as identified on the card were listed within the report we received from VISA. You may wish to review your bank statements closely to monitor your account activity for any suspicious or unrecognized transactions. If you notice any suspicious activity involving your account, have any other questions or if you would like to replace your current CheckCard at no charge with a new one, please contact customer service........ office hours and phone numbers...yadayadayada

As a valued customer, please know that we take these matters seriously and are pleased to help you with your questions.

bcampbe7
07-21-2005, 08:51 AM
Just found out that some friends of my family were jsut hit with this. Apparently it was for about $12,000!
This has made me think that identity theft insurance may not be a bad idea. Or would it??? Are there any big name companies that are offering this? If not, why? Is it not a good idea? I realize that your credit card comapny usually foots the bill for your bogus charges, but what about the cost incurred by the victim to clear there credit?

Granite_33
07-21-2005, 08:58 AM
Just found out that some friends of my family were jsut hit with this. Apparently it was for about $12,000!
This has made me think that identity theft insurance may not be a bad idea. Or would it??? Are there any big name companies that are offering this? If not, why? Is it not a good idea? I realize that your credit card comapny usually foots the bill for your bogus charges, but what about the cost incurred by the victim to clear there credit?
I have heard that the credit card companies tell the retailer.....TOO BAD.......we're not paying you........rather than paying on a fraudulent purchase.

OhioProstar
07-21-2005, 09:02 AM
I check my credit about every 6 months or so at www.qspace.com. Gives me a lit piece of mind for around $20.

bcampbe7
07-21-2005, 09:21 AM
The FBI has identified the following websites as fraudulent scams:

<www.BusySky.net>
<www.SubmitPrice.net>
<www.CrazyTickets.net>
<www.CheapClouds.com> (recently shut down by the US Secret Service)

They attract customers by undercutting airline ticket prices offered elsewhere. They capture your credit card info, including account number, expiration date, and CVV code (security code on the back of the card). They then send you a message telling you the credit card transaction has been declined and they give you instructions for wiring funds for payment of the tickets.

The scam is clever because unlike the now-common phishing scams, they don't initiate the contact - the customer does by searching for the lowest ticket fares. This creates a false perception of legitimacy in the customer. If successful, the scammers obtain the customer's credit card info (sufficient to do mail orders, phone orders, or internet orders against the card), the customer's funds (if funds get wired to them), and the customer's deposit account information (origination of the wire transfer - which they can then attempt to clean out). The US Secret Service is investigating but 3 of the 4 are still in operation.

6ballsisall
07-21-2005, 09:23 AM
Funny this thread popped up. Just this week I finally got all the fraudelent charges reversed off my card. Still fighting on getting the finance charges reversed though. I carry one Credit Card and have had this on since 1997. Customer Service sucks!! Think I am going to start shopping around

smsunman1
07-21-2005, 09:43 AM
And we thought our grand dads were nuts for putting cash under the mattress

djhuff
07-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Funny this thread popped up. Just this week I finally got all the fraudelent charges reversed off my card. Still fighting on getting the finance charges reversed though. I carry one Credit Card and have had this on since 1997. Customer Service sucks!! Think I am going to start shopping around

Let me guess, the card is owned by MBNA?

6ballsisall
07-21-2005, 09:55 AM
Let me guess, the card is owned by MBNA?

Nope Providian

Bert
07-26-2005, 09:40 PM
I hope my thief has one as well and used my air miles card!! Wife lost her wallet in front of her office today. By the time she realized it and called the cedit card company some one had been to two liquor stores and spent 200 and 400 bucks. Hope the other cards are cancelled before they use them. Some people are just scum!! Whatever happened to finding a wallet and returning it to the owner??