PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak after oil change

PS.205
04-17-2009, 05:11 PM
All-

Needing some help. I changed the oil in my 96 205 LT1 last weekend. I started it up and the oil pressure gauge was reading a little high. When I give it gas it almost pegs the gauge but I hear no alarms like others have mentioned. I thought initial that the gauge might have gone bad over the winter. Today I noticed that the boat is leaking oil. I can't tell exactly where but it looks to be in the rear of the engine. Maybe where the drain hose enters the pan or the rear seal on the bottom. I have checked the oil to be sure that the level is correct. Anyone have any advice? Why would it start leaking after the oil change? I'm sure I will have to pull the motor if it is the rear seal but what about change out the drain hose. There isn't much clearance under the brass fitting. Any one have theirs leak before?

Thanks for your help!!!

-PS.205

flipper
04-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Just checking the obvious, but you used the correct grade of oil? It's not coming from the filter? Is there any water in the oil? I'd clean it up, and find out where it's coming from for sure before you panic.

PS.205
04-17-2009, 07:00 PM
I used 20w50. I checked the filter and it is not coming from there. I don't see any water in it.

JLeuck64
04-17-2009, 09:03 PM
My 98 with the LT1 is a bear to catch all the oil during a filter change...
You sure you wiped up everything after that last change? Might be worth it to give the bilge a good clean-up then start looking for signs of an oil leak.

PS.205
04-20-2009, 04:14 PM
I had a chance to clean up under the motor. From what I can tell, it is leaking from the drain plug at the pan. I can't get my finger completely under the brass fitting so I'm wondering if it is possible to remove the drain kit without lifting the motor? What type of seal will I need or should I order a new drain kit?

Thrall
04-28-2009, 04:26 PM
My lt1 oil pressure guage, when the oil is cold, will peg up to about 80psi (on the guage, who knows if it's accurate). Once warm, it will fluctuate down as low as 15-20psi at idle and up to 60 psi at higher rpms.
Don't know if you can get to the drain hose at the oil pan, seems pretty tight under the engine.

denverd1
04-28-2009, 05:57 PM
How much did you put in?? hopefully your rear seal is ok...

PS.205
05-21-2009, 04:20 PM
It turned out to be the pan. It had a hole in it right by the drain. I didn't have a camera but I will post a pic of the old pan soon.

bennyboy
12-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Hey PS.205, just wondering if you ever got that drain hose leak taken care of? I've got the same problem going on right now. Trying to figure out if I can replace the drain hose without lifting the engine.