PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Season is Close!

Stritt
05-18-2005, 01:14 PM
Hope this is not a omen to the FL hurricane season......Its not even June yet! Doubt this will amount to anything more than some rain :woohoo:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh//graphics_ep1+shtml/151940.shtml?5day

Maristar210
05-18-2005, 01:16 PM
I hope not for all your sakes. Homeowners insurance rates in Florida must be astronomical :eek:

Steve

Stritt
05-18-2005, 01:20 PM
Rates aren't bad.....it's the deductible......2% of insured value.....ouch!
Oh yeah, that is EACH occurence.

Maristar210
05-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Rates aren't bad.....it's the deductible......2% of insured value.....ouch!
Oh yeah, that is EACH occurence.

OMG :eek3:

Gap Insurance?

Steve

Stritt
05-18-2005, 01:44 PM
Nope! bank account insurance.....otherwise known as a check ;)

jsonova99
05-18-2005, 01:47 PM
Here we go again, I can't believe the first named storm has already formed. I'm still cleaning up from last year.

Stritt
05-18-2005, 02:09 PM
I may be wrong, but I think that is a Pacific name, so technically we still haven't named our first storm. If that is supposed to make us feel better :confused:

T Scott
05-18-2005, 02:13 PM
I'm ready....bring it on !!! Do I dare say it can't be as bad as last year??? I'd still rather deal with hurricanes than frozen lakes and 4 feet of snow!

jsonova99
05-18-2005, 02:16 PM
I'm ready....bring it on !!! Do I dare say it can't be as bad as last year??? I'd still rather deal with hurricanes than frozen lakes and 4 feet of snow!

Well said! :toast: Although I'd rather be somewhere that got neither. They are kind of fun to sit through though, until you get up in the morning and see the carnage to your house :mad:

Stritt
05-18-2005, 02:34 PM
Understood....Seeing your from Melbourne......At least it dies a little before reaching us here in Orlando.

Time will tell on this season......

jsonova99
05-18-2005, 02:43 PM
Understood....Seeing your from Melbourne......At least it dies a little before reaching us here in Orlando.

Time will tell on this season......

You guys got Charlie though which was a beast, although it probably died down some before it reached Orlando. The worst winds we got last year were about 105 give or take. I was surprised, the Directv had perfect picture through the whole thing until the power went out around 3 in the morning. It's funny watching Geraldo getting blown around right in your own town on tv.

Davo
05-18-2005, 03:08 PM
I'm a doubter also. For this thing to come across Central America and re-form would be surprising. (it would be called Arlene if that happened) Although, that is where the warmest waters are so hence the concern. Usually they don't start this early. Hopefully, it's not a sign of things to come!

I'm in the North Orlando area and Charley pretty much came right over the house. The sustained were under 100 and some gusts were over 100 if I recall. The good thing about that one was that it came and went in a matter of hours - unlike Jeanne and Francis. I had more damage from those two because they hung around longer.

All I know is that I hope this current storm doesn't pound Paradise Island, Bahamas. I'll be there for a week starting the 28th!

Stritt
05-18-2005, 03:20 PM
DAVO...where in North Orlando? I'm Seminole Cty near Maitland and Bear Lake Road.

Are you going to the River Run Sun June 6th?

Davo
05-18-2005, 03:33 PM
We live on a lake in Deltona. Just the wife and I, but we're "working" on a full house. lol

I grew up in Seminole Co (Lake Mary) and I work in Maitland so I'm familiar with where you are. Where do you drop your boat?

I'd like to go the river run, but I'll just be getting back from a week in the bahamas that Saturday so I'm not sure...I'll have to see what time our plane gets in. If we can get things situated around the house and maybe get a set in on the lake, it's possible. The last Liquid event I went to was the 2002 poker run on the Winter Garden chain.

Stritt
05-18-2005, 03:42 PM
We do alot of the St, John's to the springs, Butler, Winter Haven and the Harris Chain (my dad lives up there off Haines Creek). Had rented a home on Bear Lake but recently purchased just down the road, so I don;t really have lake access anymore. ;)

We should get together sometime.

Davo
05-18-2005, 04:12 PM
Sure thing.

Bear Lake is very nice. I've been on that lake and the Butler Chain. We would go to Conway a lot when I lived in Longwood. Winter Haven...if that's where Cypress Gardens is, that is where they held the poker run in '02.

The Glen is awesome. (Jsonova - you'll love it) We've been there once this year so far and usually go at least two or three times a year.

Where are they launching for the river run? Wayside Park or Ed Stone Park?

Stritt
05-18-2005, 04:17 PM
Ed Stone. Never been to Conway...where is a public ramp?

jsonova99
05-18-2005, 04:18 PM
I've heard of some of these spots, but I'm not familiar with any of their locations. I'm still fairly new to Florida, we usually go to lake Lizzie which is fine, but they don't have a dock at the ramp.

Stritt
05-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Some pics of the springs.

Davo
05-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Hoffner Avenue, a block East of Orange Ave (not far from CC's factory). There are three lakes, but you have to drop your tower to pass from the first. The water is crystal clear! Just get there before 10am on a weekend because there is not much parking at the ramp and the lake can get busy.

Stritt
05-18-2005, 04:28 PM
another..not so good.

jsonova99
05-18-2005, 04:30 PM
Cool, let me know of any others that you know of. I'd love to try some new spots out.

Davo
05-18-2005, 04:31 PM
Just seeing that pic makes me want to drop what I'm doing and load up!

John B
05-18-2005, 04:38 PM
Just seeing that pic makes me want to drop what I'm doing and load up!
What the hell is that mess??

Stritt
05-18-2005, 04:38 PM
Heading to Crystal River over Memorial day for some boating and Golf ;)

Have you ever gone over there?

Thanks for the direction, I know where it is now. Do they limit the admit to the lake like Butler does if all the parking is taken?

Stritt
05-18-2005, 04:39 PM
That "mess" looks like a 4th of July pic...can get a little wild sometimes. :rolleyes:

jsonova99
05-18-2005, 04:40 PM
Heading to Crystal River over Memorial day for some boating and Golf ;)

Have you ever gone over there?

Thanks for the direction, I know where it is now. Do they limit the admit to the lake like Butler does if all the parking is taken?

No, but I was planning on doing a canoe trip up there at some point, are there any good spots to take the boats?

Stritt
05-18-2005, 04:49 PM

Butler Chain- is about 8 or so lakes, clean for the most part. Lots of skiing, beach to hang out and ALOT of BIG homes......Tiger Woods, Griffey Jr, SHAQ etc. Located close to Disney area.

Winter Haven Chain- Home of Cypress Gardens, numerous ski schools etc., good water, some clean, some not so, 10 + interconnected lakes. Nice place to stay a weekend at Lake Roy Hotel. Has their own ramp and beach.

St. John's River- Sanford to Jacksonville. Old Florida nature, brown water, lots of gators....did I say ALOT of gators?

Harris Chain- Leesburg area, From Winter Garden (Lake Apopka all the way to the St, John's river. I have gone to Silver River (silver Spring Ocala area) Long ride, dirty water, lots of gators, neat ride to the springs. See Florida Day trip post.

jsonova99
05-18-2005, 04:52 PM

Butler Chain- is about 8 or so lakes, clean for the most part. Lots of skiing, beach to hang out and ALOT of BIG homes......Tiger Woods, Griffey Jr, SHAQ etc. Located close to Disney area.

Winter Haven Chain- Home of Cypress Gardens, numerous ski schools etc., good water, some clean, some not so, 10 + interconnected lakes. Nice place to stay a weekend at Lake Roy Hotel. Has their own ramp and beach.

St. John's River- Sanford to Jacksonville. Old Florida nature, brown water, lots of gators....did I say ALOT of gators?

Harris Chain- Leesburg area, From Winter Garden (Lake Apopka all the way to the St, John's river. I have gone to Silver River (silver Spring Ocala area) Long ride, dirty water, lots of gators, neat ride to the springs. See Florida Day trip post.

I have had the Butler Chain recommended before, and it sounds relatively close to where we go now, a little farther, but no big deal.

Thankd for the info, I'll definitley look into some of these spots.

Davo
05-18-2005, 05:05 PM
John, chaos and I love it.

35th...as far as the Conway ramp...you don't have to pay to park unlike Butler's super deluxe accomadations. If it fills up, people will park accross Hoffner on the side of the road.

AirJunky
05-18-2005, 05:19 PM
I never heard of anyone loosing their house to a frozen lake & 4' of snow........ I know 2 people who lost houses & everything they own last year...... INCLUDING their boats!

jsonova99
05-18-2005, 05:25 PM
I never heard of anyone loosing their house to a frozen lake & 4' of snow........ I know 2 people who lost houses & everything they own last year...... INCLUDING their boats!

Where were they located, because I know where we are, they weren't that bad, and we got the northern side of the eye wall. South of us got hit harder though. I think Jeanne and Francis both hit about 15 to 30 miles or so south of us around Vero beach and Ft. Pierce. I can't remember all of the details though. I know that I will be ready this year though, and I'm not evacuating, unless they are predicting something like Andrew. We evacuated for Francis which was the one that got to land and then stopped for like 12 hours or so. Anyway, we got stuck in a hotel room in Orlando for 3 days with the dog and a bunch of other couped up evacuees. I'll take my chances with the storm. Jeanne hit us harder and we rode that out, I didn't think it was that bad at all.

Davo
05-18-2005, 05:33 PM
That sucks, Bill. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Must of been near Fort Pierce, Melbourne or somewhere in the Panhandle...?

AirJunky
05-18-2005, 07:24 PM
One guy was in West Palm, the other in Lake Worth. I heard similar stories about the evacuation ordeal. One guy even went as far as New Orleans & then got hit there too.

Ski-A-Rees
05-18-2005, 08:07 PM
The Lake Roy hotel is nice over by Cypress Gardens! Our team goes there for a weekend after tournament! It nice because if there are too many boats or the water isn't good, you just move to the next lake. I think we are going the weekend after forth of July this year!