PDA

View Full Version : Can a Thread be Saved?

shepherd
04-16-2009, 11:37 PM
I was wondering if there was some way to convert all the posts (and pics) of a thread onto my computer hard drive for a personal archive. There are a few threads that I'd like to do that with (e.g., C36's Prostar history thread, some of the "how-to" threads in the maintenance forums, etc.). Is there some way to convert them into Word or pdf format or some other file type that I could open and view offline?

Monte
04-16-2009, 11:53 PM
lots of copying and pasting???

03 35th Anniversary
04-17-2009, 12:33 AM
I would like to save the one word thread!!!

Bongo
04-17-2009, 02:01 AM
How much hard drive space do you have available?

In the distant past (circa 2000), I would occasionally copy the contents of entire Web sites for viewing while disconnected from the Web (e.g. cross country flights). The tool I used at the time was HT Track (http://www.httrack.com/). I haven't had it installed in quite a while, but it would seem worth installing and trying. I expect it will copy the whole contents of the Web site or the descendants from the URL you provide, but not be selective in specific threads. Might be overkill, but if you've got the hard drive space, this tool or similar might be the most effective.

This does go to demonstrate that anything you enter onto the Internet will become part of your "permanent record", even if you later go and try to delete it from the source.

Bongo

bxroads
04-17-2009, 07:10 AM
Copy and paste into a Word document works for me. Text and pictures both show up. You know the trick to selecting the copy area, right? (using the "shift" key)

JohnE
04-17-2009, 07:58 AM
Shep, you wanting to save the csm thread??:D

shepherd
04-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Shep, you wanting to save the csm thread??:D

No.... the CSM Pics thread! I know there are going to be some good ones this year! :D:D

shepherd
04-17-2009, 09:03 AM
This does go to demonstrate that anything you enter onto the Internet will become part of your "permanent record", even if you later go and try to delete it from the source.

Bongo

That's why I never told you guys about the two hookers with the big Adam's apples who gave me that two-fer in Bangkok.

Wait.... :o

chevy08bud
04-17-2009, 09:46 AM
If you have a PDF creator like a full version of Adobe Acrobat, then you can print each page of the thread separately. Unfortunately, you cannot just print the entire thread if they have multiple pages, but you can go to each page within the thread and "print" them to a file.

CantRepeat
04-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Select all parts you want to save. IE Hold down the shirt key and highlight all entire page. Then in IE click file > print > Microsoft XPS Document Writer

This will save the page just how you see it on your screen. I'm not sure if this is what you want or if you want to save the HTML and all the code for the thread. If that is the case then you can find freeware programs that will let you put the URL of the thread or an entire website in and it will duplicate that on your harddrive.

CantRepeat
04-17-2009, 10:32 AM
How much hard drive space do you have available?

In the distant past (circa 2000), I would occasionally copy the contents of entire Web sites for viewing while disconnected from the Web (e.g. cross country flights). The tool I used at the time was HT Track (http://www.httrack.com/). I haven't had it installed in quite a while, but it would seem worth installing and trying. I expect it will copy the whole contents of the Web site or the descendants from the URL you provide, but not be selective in specific threads. Might be overkill, but if you've got the hard drive space, this tool or similar might be the most effective.

Bongo

This a great program for saving websites.

JimN
04-17-2009, 10:55 AM
I was wondering if there was some way to convert all the posts (and pics) of a thread onto my computer hard drive for a personal archive. There are a few threads that I'd like to do that with (e.g., C36's Prostar history thread, some of the "how-to" threads in the maintenance forums, etc.). Is there some way to convert them into Word or pdf format or some other file type that I could open and view offline?

Any kind of document program can be pasted to, like Word, a .pdf or something like that. If the thread has little chance of being removed by the administrator, you can save it as a Favorite/Bookmark and refer to it anytime you want. That way, you can copy/paste when you have time and once you save it to your document, you can organize it in whatever way works best for you.

TX.X-30 fan
04-17-2009, 11:11 AM
No easy way is what I'm hearing.

JimN
04-17-2009, 11:30 AM
No easy way is what I'm hearing.

At some point, the person who wants to save the information will need to wade through all of the posts sto find what they're looking for, so it strikes me as better to do it up front instead of digging through all of it when it's needed at that moment. That way, it can be set up similar to the document (which I wanted to show in outline form with indentations).

I did this in MS Word, so if you have Office or Open Office, it should be easy to open.

No, it's not the easy way but since there's no real manual for all of it, it's the best way, unless people want to make a collaborate effort to assemble one. That way, one person can do Raw water, one can do fuel topics, one can do electrical wiring, one can do charging, etc. Preferably, this will be done using spell checker and good organization because it will be nearly impossible to search for something if it's mot done this way. We already have an FAQ section but with all of the info that has been posted, it should be possible to compile a fairly complete manual.

One thing that should be left out is anything that's based on opinion. Established methods, testing and results are needed, not "I prefer to do it this way because it's how I always do it".

east tx skier
04-17-2009, 11:32 AM
You can print to .pdf. I think you can do this even if you don't have adobe acrobat distiller. I did it a while back with NSXBill's PS 205 thread.

shepherd
04-17-2009, 12:24 PM
You can print to .pdf. I think you can do this even if you don't have adobe acrobat distiller. I did it a while back with NSXBill's PS 205 thread.

How did you prevent it from cutting off the right sides of the pages? Printing to xps or pdf cut everything off, even when printing in landscape mode. Cutting and pasting into a word file seemed to work, but it was messy.

The programs that Bongo and 92Maristar sound good, but I was hoping there would be some standard MS utility already on my computer that I could use. Thanks for the input everyone.

C36
04-17-2009, 02:05 PM

sheppard: I hope to produce a PDF of the ProStar history thread shortly, but I am waiting for it to stablize a little so I am not updating things in multiple places. I will post a notice in the thread once the PDF is available.