PDA

View Full Version : Distributor Cap and Rotor Replacement, need help please

dpolen
04-16-2009, 08:34 PM
I tried to do a little pre-season maintenance on the boat today, my plan was to change the impeller and the cap & rotor. Impeller and Distributor cap are all done, but ran into a roadblock with the rotor. This is my first time ever trying this, I thought the rotor would pop right off, but I couldn't get it to budge. I pulled fairly hard on the thing, but stopped for fear of breaking something. What's does anyone suggest I do since I've not done this before, I thought this would be a quick swapout after talking with the service guy at the dealership, but I'm stumped...looks like the thing has been there a long, long time based on the corosion I saw on the distributor cap. Ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks!
Doug

kawagaskier
04-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Its been a while since I've had one apart, but I would check for a set screw in the collar holding the rotor to the shaft.

dpolen
04-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks, but mine doesn't appear to have a set screw in it...the replacement makes it look like it should just pop right on top of the distributor.

TRBenj
04-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Pull harder.

Kevin&Annie
04-17-2009, 09:54 AM
sometimes they get stuck, we cut one off of my buddies malibu a couple weeks ago. worked just fine.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Tap ( NOT TOO HARD) on either side of the rotor a couple times - that should help rock it loose. You can also try to insert a flat screwdriver blade at the base between the rotor and the shoulder of the distributor shaft it sits on. Or try a hair dryer to heat it up a little. Or attach a come-along to the rafter beam in the garage above the boat and lift it out. JK

dpolen
04-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Or attach a come-along to the rafter beam in the garage above the boat and lift it out. JK

That's gotta be the most fun way to attack this one!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help here. Getting closer to splash time...

I found a little rust in the plug wires, probably a good idea to buy some new ones? Figure that's some cheap insurance along with some fresh plugs.

Shane21
04-17-2009, 12:49 PM
A little fogging oil will prevent that rust on the plugs. When you winterize, pull each plug and spray a couple of squirts in each port. Then turn the motor over a time or two w/o it cranking...problem solved.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-17-2009, 12:54 PM
The corrosion on at the plug wire connections can be avoided with dielectric grease. Put a small amount at both the spark plug and distributor cap end of each wire. Don't forget the coil wire ends. The grease can be purchased in a tube at most any real parts store. This is also a good idea to use this on your car and/or truck.

dpolen
04-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks guys! Learning some good stuff this week.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Just noticed today that you aren't too far away. If you need a hand with something, just give a shout.

dpolen
04-20-2009, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the offer, I haven't been able to make it back to the boat since starting this post. Where do you boat at? We keep ours slipped out on Tonka...

JimN
04-20-2009, 09:03 AM
There's no set screw but they often get stuck. A Dremel with a cutoff wheel or a hack saw works. Vacuum hte plastic dust out after, or use compressed air. Use Scotch Brite on the rotor shaft to clean off any rust and coat it lightly with heavy oil or grease to keep it from freezing on again. Also, don't go too long between replacement or checking it. Since it's easy to get at, pulling the rotor off every year won't hurt.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the offer, I haven't been able to make it back to the boat since starting this post. Where do you boat at? We keep ours slipped out on Tonka...

I'm in St. Paul, so I hit a little lake (Gervais) just a mere 3 miles from the house. I also have a brother who lives on Rice Lake in WI, and another brother who has a lake home in northern WI near Rhinelander, so we do a lot on WI water. My boat is still a work in progress and has yet to be on the water, but I'm close to getting it wet.

dpolen
04-20-2009, 02:49 PM
There's no set screw but they often get stuck. A Dremel with a cutoff wheel or a hack saw works. Vacuum hte plastic dust out after, or use compressed air. Use Scotch Brite on the rotor shaft to clean off any rust and coat it lightly with heavy oil or grease to keep it from freezing on again. Also, don't go too long between replacement or checking it. Since it's easy to get at, pulling the rotor off every year won't hurt.

Thank you Jim!

dpolen
04-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Finally got the thing off last night, had to literally break it off in pieces. The new one snapped right on. The rod to which the cap attaches was pretty rusted...I cleaned it up a little, so I'm hoping that I'm going to see some performance gains from replacing these. I also picked up some new wires and plugs yesterday, so that might help as well.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-30-2009, 01:13 AM
Good to hear. Remember to check your plug gap. Too many people just stick them in without checking. Keep up the good work.

mayo93prostar
04-30-2009, 07:01 AM
remember, pics are always of interest. good luck with getting her running and wet.

dpolen
04-30-2009, 09:19 AM
How much of a performance difference do you guys think the new stuff will make? Where will I see a difference...holeshot? Cap had a ton of corrosion on it, rotor was rusted on, wires had rust in caps...plugs were only 2 seasons old. Engine has 630 hours on it, serviced regularly.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-01-2009, 01:50 AM
Electrical connections can be deceiving. Some seemingly fine looking connections aren't good at all while some terrible looking connections can perform just fine. Most likely you will notice better starting, smoother idle and better bottom end. Hard to say about the top end without seeing the plugs you took out or the condition of the wires.

dpolen
05-24-2009, 08:18 AM
WOW...what a difference this made. I can't believe how much more power I've got, especially with the holeshot. Thanks guys for your help to tackle this problem. Boat is running great! Time go burn some fossil fuels.