PDA

View Full Version : Indianapolis Area

Leroy
08-14-2004, 02:43 AM
I've seen several MC's on Lake Monroe where I'm docked also. Unfortunately Morse seems to be Malibu and wakeboard land.

Any other MC owners around central Indiana?

H20skeefreek
08-14-2004, 07:43 AM
I'm originally from Kokomo, but currently live in SC

Smitty
08-14-2004, 01:32 PM
Leroy,

I live in NW Indiana but my inlaws live in B-town. A couple of weeks ago I brought my boat down to Bloomington with the intent of boating on Lake Lemon on Saturday and Lake Monroe on Sunday. We hit Lake Lemon all day and had a great time. Good launch ramp and wide open boating. We woke up on Sunday anticipating doing the same on Lake Monroe, but it rained all day. I have considered docking at Lake Monroe and would like to get some information from you as to where you dock, how much do you pay, and do you have a boat lift were you dock? I'm in B-town all the time and would like to consider Lake Monroe as a possible weekend destination from now on. Tell me more about the lake. By the way, how well can you see Mellencamp's house? Just wondering.

Hey, we have the same boat too. 2001 Maristar 230 330 HP LTR. I love it.

Leroy
08-14-2004, 06:51 PM
Smitty;

Glad to hear somone else around here. Really love my boat also. I dock at Fairfax marina, by Inn of Four Winns. I'm on the A dock, #76 I think if you go by. A is closest to the launch ramp there, but I'm on the other side of A. I use the Hydro Hoist lift (~5k) to keep the boat our of the water. I think my slip is $2600 per year and it is new dock, there are olders slips same size that are $2300-$2400 (and that is for 12 months so you can winterize and leave there). You can see Cougars house very well it is near the bridge of 446 and next to Paynetown campground. It is 10-12 feet deep basically where you can almost pull up to his yard. We've never seen anyone moving around there.

The lake is pretty big, but the fingers are all no wake and pretty small anyway, but they fill up with people parking there and enjoying the day. There is a rope swing up one inlet. The Inn of 4 Winns is nice to stay in, has nice restraurant and Paynetown is great for camping. During the day on Sat/Sun there are too many boats, too big and the water is horrible. If you get out early or stay late it gets pretty nice. During the week you can have glass pretty much any day. There are a couple of places protected from the wind where skiing is pretty good. THere are no real water dangers there and I have not heard of anyone damaging a prop there, unlike Morse which has million dollar point. I hope to go down tomorrow and stay over part of Monday, kids start school Tuesday ;(

If you're going down sometime let me know, always looking for someone to ski with.

RC65951
08-19-2004, 03:28 PM
Leroy,

I live in Greenwood and just bought an older Maristar (91) earlier this summer. We have been down to Monroe a few times this summer and have been on Lemon twice. I don't know how many more times we will get out this year because the kids are back in school and we broke down last Sunday. I agree that Monroe is really nice during the week. I have never tried it on the weekend because everyone always says it is so busy. Lemon seems to be fairly good on the weekend, though. Pat

Leroy
08-19-2004, 04:22 PM
Pat;
Nice to hear from you. We were on Monroe last Monday and it was great. Couple of questions: First, does Lemon allow anyone to come in, isn't it a private lake and you need to live there? second, don't they have a boat length limit(think I heard 19 or 20 feet)? I'm hoping to keep going into October. Water temp was between 69 and 75 Monday, still very nice.

Thanks

Smitty
08-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Pat and Leroy,

I was at Lake Lemon last month and it was very nice. There is a public access launch at Riddle Point. It is $4 fee to get in and launch, but the parking is very limited. It seems to be a nice alternative to Monroe. Very wide open with limited traffic. Stay away from the public beach at Riddle Point. Many boaters hang around this area and take off around a blind spot on the lake. I found that the lake is well patrolled by the sherrif dept. I'm thinking of going back on Labor Day weekend if I can fit it into my schedule. I'm also planning on doing some fall boating on Monroe. How is the fall color on the lake Leroy? By the way, thanks for the info. on Lake Monroe docking.

RC65951
08-19-2004, 04:43 PM
Leroy,

I think that anyone can go onto Lemon but you have to pay the lake fee ($9) as well as a launch fee to the marina ($4 weekdays, $16 weekend). There is a launch ramp on the south shore that I assume the public can use but have not tried because I don't know where to pay the lake fee other than the marina. I know that an annual lake pass is available for $81 so maybe can launch for free if you have an annual fee?? I also thought that there was a length limit of 20 feet but a coworker of mine told me that he thought it was 28 feet. I have a 21 foot and the last time I was there the lake patrol was going around and checking that everyone had paid the lake fee but did not appear to be concerned about the size of the boats.

Smitty
08-19-2004, 04:50 PM
Here is the info. you need:
www.visitbloomington.com/att_rec_lakes.html
That boat limit is 30 feet. Nobody even batted an eye at my 230 VRS.
Riddle Point is the easiest place to find. The marina is on the far end of the lake and is quite a pain to get to. Your information on the fee is correct Pat. They give you a temporary permit to stick on your boat for a day pass or season pass. You cannot be on the lake without the pass. I did hear however, that there is a limited number of passes that they issue per day to keep the traffic down. I would call first.

Leroy
08-19-2004, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the info. I need to try this lake sometime. I like Monroe, but at 1 hour 40 minutes each way you think about the trip before you go! Although looking at the map it isn't much closer. I remeber riding by this on Hilly Hundred now.

RC65951
08-20-2004, 06:05 PM
Smitty,

Is the fee to launch at Riddle Point $4 on the weekend too or is it $16 like the marina on the north shore? I assume that you can buy a daily pass at Riddle Point?? Thanks.

Pat

Stritt
08-21-2004, 01:47 AM
Orginally from Pendleton, In. Now Orlando, Fl. Stayed away from Monroe due to the bigger boats and open water........Nice lake though.

Smitty
08-21-2004, 11:56 AM
Pat,

I think that fee was $14. Which includes parking and that boat pass. It was $4 for any extra vehicles.

Smitty

Smitty
08-21-2004, 12:19 PM
Pat and Leroy,

Who does your service on your Mastercaft? My local MC dealer has a fairly new shop in Fishers:
13333 Britton Park Road
Fishers, IN 46038
Phone: 317-579-2628

That's where I bought my Maristar from and they do pretty good work. I would trust them with whatever needs you have. The last I saw it was still a pretty small operation. Just thought you should know.

RC65951
08-23-2004, 09:49 AM
I just had some problems with mine and took it to a Marina near Morse Res by Noblesville. I bought the boat earlier this year on consignment from this Marina and thought that I would take it back there since they rebuilt the transmission last year. I think that I passed the dealer that you are talking about on the way up. I will definately keep this place in mind if I ever need additional work done. Thanks for the info.

Pat

stevo137
08-23-2004, 03:04 PM
They are still somewhat limited at Pinecrest Fishers but are building a new facility. I visited recently and saw the plans. Looks very nice. I think they have a mechanic there now. Just ask for Mike, He has taken care of us throughout the years.

Leroy
08-23-2004, 03:28 PM
I haven't been by Pinecrest Fishers this year, saw the plans last fall and assumed it was done now?? They have had at least one mechanic since last fall. He was over at Mark's Boat and RV until it became just Mark's RV. I really have a lot of confidence in him. I may move my boat to Morse next year, so good to know someone there is good.

Smitty
08-23-2004, 05:06 PM
Just a thought, but I wonder how many of you guys would be interested in having a MC reunion in Indiana. Like Wawasee, Morse, Culver or Monroe. Seeing how Waterski Mag uses Wawasee as a test site for boat reviews, I thought that would be a great place. How does MC pick reunion sites? I would be interested to know.

Leroy
08-23-2004, 05:53 PM
I think that would be great, getting a free weekend is difficult for me, but would love to try! Last time I was on Wawasee was ~18 years ago, my room mate went to school with Don Marsh JR and we stayed at his place on the lake. I remember lots of waves(most Indiana lakes on the weekend). At Monroe you could camp or stay at the inn of 4 winns, my boat is on Monroe making that easier for me. I don't have a strong preference, Morse is very close, would be good to make the Malibu's feel someone else it there. Morse, Geist, Monroe and Brookville are the only Indiana lakes I have been on. Always like to try a new lake. Would vote against doing it on Geist unless someone had a place there.

chris.willman
08-23-2004, 05:56 PM
I live in Cincinnati, and an IN location would certainly be good for me.

lakes Rick
08-23-2004, 06:10 PM
I used to work for a company out of Elkhart Indiana.. ( Philips products) Flew back for some business meetings.. The River that runs through there was the sleeziest dirtiest looking thing.. Anybody know which river this is????

Smitty
08-23-2004, 06:58 PM
That would be the might St. Joseph's river. Not the best thing to swim in. If your looking for skiing in that area then check out the lakes in SW Michigan. Some great skiing lakes in that area. Although much of that area is crowded with Chicagoan's. I spent most of my summers, growing up, skiing on some of those lakes.

stevo137
08-23-2004, 07:04 PM
IMOP, Wawasee would be a great option. There is a place called Oakwood Inn that host's boat dealers all the time and there is a big MC dealer there. Oakwood is right on the lake and has several slips, cottages, and camping. It is a beautiful place! Only catch to Oakwood is that there is no booze allowed inside the hotel. There are nice places to eat and get a drink that aren't that far away. They also have two nice golf courses in Syracuse.
It may bit a bit far for central IN and Ohio though. Not as centralized.

stevo137
08-23-2004, 07:17 PM
editing....

H20skeefreek
08-24-2004, 08:22 AM
I don't live in Indiana anymore, but i think a good choice would be some of the lakes up near Angola/Ft. Wayne. Like the lake at Pokagon st. park (sorry drawing a blank for the name of the lake...snow? Those lakes are crystal clear, and littered with comp. boats. so it must be good for skiing.

lakes Rick
08-24-2004, 12:45 PM
Stevo,

Corporate Headquarters was there ( mobilehome/Rv industry). We called it Elklick... Those horrible planes from Chicago to South Bend.. Miracle they even flew..... Did get to have dinner in the STudebaker mansion...... Rick

stevo137
08-24-2004, 08:32 PM
editing....

JimN
08-24-2004, 11:12 PM
Wawasee is the biggest natural lake in IN, and unless the wind is up, it's not too choppy. There is another motel just west of the main drag in Syracuse, and if you want to have a beer in the room, it's OK. Oakwood is Methodist owned and operated. Can't smoke or drink, but it is a really nice place. Has a good restaurant and there are others in the area that aren't very far away like The Frog and Channel Marker. If you need accessories, Bart's is about 20 minutes south in North Webster. If you come in on Hwy 15(I think), you'll go past the golf course and Bart's. If you like hot rods, there's a dealer on the way. The MC dealer is new to Syracuse but they have another location, too.

stevo137
08-24-2004, 11:31 PM
editing....

JimN
08-25-2004, 12:45 AM
It depends on when it is and how much lead time I have. MC tech training is held in Syracuse at the high school and on-water advanced diagnostics is on Wawasee. We hoisted a bunch at The Frog, but after awhile, staying at one place gets old, so we would go into North Webster, if you know what I mean(nudge, nudge, say no more, wink, wink).

Never went to the flea market, but Wally World in Goshen has stalls for the Amish to park their carriages. If you go after the peak season, you can have the place pretty much to yourself, since the in season population is around 13,500 and off peak is about 3500.

Leroy
08-25-2004, 01:50 AM
Wawasee sounds nice, at least as Indiana lakes go. With that level of MC activity should make for plenty of people eager for a reunion. With Pinecrest Marina should be plenty of other owners around. Starting to sound like the best option for Indiana reunion.

stevo137
08-25-2004, 02:04 AM
Ah yes, the "place" in North Webster! As I said, it's got it all.
Jim, it is Route 13 and that is Pinecrest's best location. They have been there for about three years and recently opened one by Indy. And of course the Cedar Lake facility, that is where I go and have a lift on the lake.

JimN
08-25-2004, 07:48 AM
That's the "place" with pink building and neon, across the street from the laundromat, on the right side of the street as you head north?

stevo137
08-25-2004, 08:38 AM
Yep, right downtown.

lakes Rick
08-25-2004, 02:26 PM
Stevo, thanks for the invite.. BUT, I havent worked for that company (Philips products) since they FIRED me Christmas of 98......

My current employer is family owned in Oregon and I don't get to fly the friendly skies anymore...

I certainly will take you up on that if I ever get their again....

stevo137
08-25-2004, 06:35 PM
Rick, I'm sure you are much better off now. I hope nobody takes offense to this but some of those "RV" people in that region are the strangest and biggest cheap a**'s that I have ever met in my life! And if you are not home grown, forget about it. The company that I worked for at that time even hired two home grown boys to go after more business but they didn't do Sh**!

Smitty
09-06-2004, 12:23 PM
Leroy,

This post is for you. I was out on Lake Monroe yesterday. :eek: That place was packed. Talk about your 3' rollers. I almost got swallowed up. Once I found my bearings everything went well. Although I made one mistake. We wanted to got swimming so I pulled into an idle zone cove. The depth finder said 26' and I went looking for shallow water. Then my 5 yr.old son said "look at that fish daddy." That was not fish, it was the top of a tree! :eek: I quickly turned around and headed out noticing all the tree tops pop up through the waves. I though it was safe until "Skreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch"! I nailed one on the bottom of the boat. Luckily no damage was done. We finally made to the other side of the cause way to do some swimming over there. Now I know why you don't go out on weekends. Lake Lemon is much tamer.

Leroy
09-06-2004, 06:21 PM
Smitty; Glad you made it out ok. I always travel with those waterproof lake maps that show trees, etc and you need it at Monroe. I will only park up Allen creek and down by the dam to take a break and swim. Sounds like you were along 446 and Paynetown. The inlet by the condo's has a lot of trees as does the one up by Paynetown. I try to get out early and late, and rest from 10AM to around 4PM. During the week it's pretty much glass all day if you can take a day off. I haven't been out in couple of weeks, even as nice as it's been. Soccer tourneyment in Dayton this weekend. I was out ~month ago and in football size area in front of me was like a war scene and they were all going full speed in all directions, just cut wide and went to the dock until later.

I'll have to try Lemon sometime.

Leroy
09-28-2004, 04:37 PM
Really bad article on skiing on the White river.....don't do it! Between this, floating logs, trees, very shallow water, it's not a good waterway. It's a shame to as it could be very nice. Was in our local paper last Sunday. I read this and think I'm in a third world country. :confused:

http://www.indystar.com/articles/0/181754-8740-009.html

Smitty
09-28-2004, 06:08 PM
Skiing with Mr. Hanky.
http://www.deeplake.com/southpark/mrhanky.gif

Hoosier Bob
09-28-2004, 10:33 PM
I have a lot of great footage skiing that nasty river. Even though I smelled for days it is still some of the best skiing I have been around. Cudos to the Ohio boys for understanding that all who use waterways must get along. I began my life on the Scioto River in Columbus Ohio. The river at that time had zones. Idle for fishing, tow only for skiing and nuts for everyone else. The skiers would line up and run the wakes. The water was nice even after 7:00 am.

Leroy
09-28-2004, 10:41 PM
I think parts are pretty ok. I had several friends with house on and around the river north of Broad Ripple and they skied it a lot, but I couldn't bring myself to get in there and this was 15 years ago.

stevo137
09-28-2004, 10:46 PM
Leroy,
Take a drive up here, 2.5 hours due north and let's ski already before it's too late!
I skied last night and the water is beautiful! ;)
My boat is on the lift, just drive and bring your ski.

Hoosier Bob
09-28-2004, 10:50 PM
I have been Kayaking on the White river North of Carmel. You would never know you were on the same river. The river is filthy no matter what any one says. That being said I enjoyed skiing there more because it was a ski river. There was not much else going on. You only had to contend with two directions (up and down). No sea walls, lunatics were limited and a good time was right around the corner. I do not ski there anymore because it is what it is. My parents still live on the river.

stevo137
09-28-2004, 10:55 PM
editing....

Hoosier Bob
09-28-2004, 11:05 PM
Sounds great! Nice pic by the way! May be a little late already with all of the scheduled upcoming family events. May be a sick day and Leroy and I will run up for some R and R. Would be nice to tow a line of Mastercrafts somewhere and ski till the pumps closed!
Thanks for the offer!

stevo137
09-28-2004, 11:18 PM
editing....

Hoosier Bob
09-29-2004, 12:40 AM
I think parts are pretty ok. I had several friends with house on and around the river north of Broad Ripple and they skied it a lot, but I couldn't bring myself to get in there and this was 15 years ago.
Is your boat always on Monroe? If you need a pull I always need thirds or fourths. Yes it is Geist but it is also early. Good news is everyone leaves and I clean the boat! Joy of ownership!
Bob

Leroy
01-29-2005, 05:36 PM
My daughter found this while researching Mellencamp for her school report. Definitely how the other half lives. Second link is good aerial views.

http://sr-71.defcon1.org/~mellencamp/John_s_House/john_s_house.html
http://sr-71.defcon1.org/~mellencamp/John_s_House/House-2/house-2.html

Lake_Tippy_Skier
06-30-2005, 11:31 PM
Wawasee sounds nice, at least as Indiana lakes go. With that level of MC activity should make for plenty of people eager for a reunion. With Pinecrest Marina should be plenty of other owners around. Starting to sound like the best option for Indiana reunion.

has anybody here given any more thought into this?? the sandbar on wawasee has really been rocking the past few weekends, not quite "party cove" but close :love:

Leroy
12-07-2005, 03:28 PM
OK, what is the Indianapolis area up to now that we are sitting around in 10 degree weather waiting for 4-6" of snow tomorrow?

Workin' 4 Toys
12-07-2005, 04:55 PM
OK, what is the Indianapolis area up to now that we are sitting around in 10 degree weather waiting for 4-6" of snow tomorrow?

WHAT?!?!?!? You're getting it, and we aren't. What gives?? Send me some pics of it...
Well at least we are finally below zero today so our lakes are freezing deep. That's at least the good news.

bcampbe7
12-07-2005, 05:04 PM
WHAT?!?!?!? You're getting it, and we aren't. What gives?? Send me some pics of it...
Well at least we are finally below zero today so our lakes are freezing deep. That's at least the good news.

Heck W4T, we may even get some here in Tennessee!
Probably just get rain though. The weather folks are predicting snow/ice. I could do without the ice, but bring on the snow!

Leroy
12-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Only problem for us is in two days the 6" will only be mud.....

Hoosier Bob
12-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Sounds like a good day for our first TMC SNOW/MUD BOWL! Tackle of course!
I'll bring the ball!
Hoosier
Only problem for us is in two days the 6" will only be mud.....

Leroy
12-07-2005, 06:53 PM
You're awake HB!

Maybe we should just buy tickets to some game!

Hoosier Bob
12-07-2005, 06:56 PM
I was hoping you would fold! Could have fun somewhere in the snow. Maybe rent some snowmobiles or go to the Butler hill for some sleddin'!You're awake HB!

Maybe we should just buy tickets to some game!