PDA

View Full Version : Amplifier Power/Ground Wires

dpolen
04-16-2009, 09:30 PM
I started installing my new headunit, amplifier, and tower speakers today...got the new Sony headunit in, nice upgrade from the old JVC that came with the boat. While cleaning up the wires, I found two unused wires that were labeled "Amplifier"...red and black wires, probably 12-14 guage, similar to others on the boat.

My amplifier is a MTX Jackhammer J202.
http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/amplifiers/JH202_amp.cfm

Can I use these wires to power the amp instead of running dedicated wires from the battery? Sure would be nice to tap into these wires if I could do it...thoughts? My fear is that the size of the wires will not provide enough juice for the amp (not that its all that big).

Shane21
04-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Were these wires coming out of the new radio? If so, that's probably what they are for. If not, I would certainly trace them back to see where they come from before I wired in my $300 (whatever the price) amp into it.

dpolen
04-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Wires were from the boat...they appeared to have been wired up to somewhere around the guages which I was too afraid to pull apart based on some other posts I have seen here.

Sodar
04-17-2009, 02:38 PM
I had the same wires coming from my dash on my 1996. I would not tie your amp into them. Most amps require a 4 or 6 gauge power wire to be run directly from the battery to the amp... the 14 gauge is just not enough and I would be worried about doing harm to the whole dash.

dpolen
04-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks...going to do this the right way the first time.