PDA

View Full Version : Securing your trailer to you tow vehicle.

CantRepeat
04-16-2009, 07:53 PM
Hey,

My trailer is the type that has the pencil thin pin hole so the lock that that goes through there is pretty weak. I'm sure with a small 5 lbs sledge you could knock the lock part off fairly easy. Since the trailer has the two safety cables that are just attach with a bolt, even if you changed them out for chains and used a lock on one they could just unbolt that. I could put a weld on the nut but that seems the wrong way to go about this.

My issue is where we launch there isn't any real security around and we are gone from sun up to sun down.

Has anyone done anything to secure your trailer to your tow vehicle other than just the little lock?

thatsmrmastercraft
04-17-2009, 01:09 AM
Great question. I have never done anything other than a Master Lock and have never had a problem. I don't even use a lock on my drawbar (though I should). I suppose you could always change to a new coupler with a larger hole for a stronger lock.

flipper
04-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Really, if they take a hammer to it, they will also take bold cutters to any other lock you put on too. You can chain the wheel together, wheel club, and locking the safety chains will all slow them down

flipper
04-17-2009, 10:04 AM
They also have alarms that you can get

thatsmrmastercraft
04-17-2009, 10:07 AM
All just an effort to keep the honest people honest. If someone really wants to steal your trailer, whether the boat is on it or not, they will. All they have to do is hook the safety chains together and loop over the trailer ball and wrap with some wire. Thats enough to drive away with your stuff. But don't let that make you nervous.

woftam
04-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Here are a few options:
http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/c-536-fulton-style-coupler-locks.aspx

I use the Fulton Universal. A friend also uses one on his box trailer. It give me an extra measure of confidence that theives will prefer easier prey. This website, and others, also have wheel locks.
I think you can pick up a Fulton Universal at home Depot and/or Lowes, as well as many marine outlets. FWIW

CantRepeat
04-17-2009, 10:20 AM
Yeah, I agree, if someone really wants to steal a trailer they will get it. It's like we all say, is mine the easy one to steal?

So, my deal is if I can slow them down, make it more difficult, or more difficult then the one next to me I'd be happy. I'm thinking of getting some large SS chain and tig welding it to the tongue and locking it to the class3 hitch.

I would think if you saw two trailers one with the pencil lock and the other with this master lock on it, you go for the pencil.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Agreed. Better polish the surface rust off your lock shank before you get lit up for it.

CantRepeat
04-17-2009, 10:25 AM
I would, but it's the lock on my backyard RV gate. If it was on the boat, I'd do it pronto!

ShamrockIV
04-17-2009, 10:26 AM
thing is the pencil lock is hard to get at with bolt cutters if u do it right. but then again u are just keeping the honest man honest.

CantRepeat
04-17-2009, 10:34 AM
thing is the pencil lock is hard to get at with bolt cutters if u do it right. but then again u are just keeping the honest man honest.

Yeah no bolt cutters on that one but I think it would be real easy to just take a 5 lb sledge and break the end off of it. Those harded locks like the one in the picture would take forever to cut through with a hack saw. I'm guessing you'd need a big pair of bolt cutters to get through it.

Craig
04-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Master Lock has a whole collection of lock variants for trailers for both the hitch plate and the trailer coupler.

http://www.masterlocks.com/search.asp?Start=0&Offset=10

I have a trailer lock on the trailer coupler. It slides through the safety pin hole on the coupler lock.

If you are really concerned, you could consider removing the trailer from your vehicle after you launch. Just chock the wheels and unhook it and throw a lock on the coupler. The one I have makes it near impossible to get bolt cutters in there.

The one I have is of the same shape as this, but it is NOT brass, mine is hardened steel.

http://www.hpilocks.com/Lock_images/605_front.jpg

I cannot find a picture of the one I have, but I got mine at Menards.