PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here with a battery question?

stennes
05-18-2005, 01:04 PM
Long time owner first time poster. Anyway I have a 2000 Maristar VRS 210 and I want to add dual batteies what is the best way to do it as in factory? Also can I get a larger alternator? I have a tower and my son has talked me into adding tower speakers, amp and lights. Now I have delt alot with muscle car restorations and understand the wiring my problem is how is the best way as in how the factory does it. My boat is set up just like a X10 without the high power stereo system. I have all ready replaced the factory speakers and head unit but I know to hear it I will need the amp but I'm worried the single battery and stock alternator will not handle the extra load. And yes all the componets are marine grade.
Thanks,
Mike :confused:

TEX P205
05-18-2005, 01:14 PM
I just added a second battery to my 97 P205. I used a 200 amp relay to put the batteries in parallel when the engine is running. I talked with my dealer on what they thought about adding second batteries. They go the easy route with a two battery switch (Perko), which can have costly consequences if not paying attention. These are the options I found.
1. Switch
2. Battery Isolator (diodes have a voltage drop across them)
3. Battery Combiner (relay)
4. A fancy expensive Isolator/combiner system (Hellroaring.com)

TEX P205
05-18-2005, 01:18 PM
I am going to monitor charge levels in each battery this summer to see if I will need to upgrade the alternator.
I do not know what the factory install is for a 2 battery system.

tex
05-18-2005, 01:21 PM
do a search. alot of us have done this and it is well documented.

Leroy
05-18-2005, 01:22 PM
Welcome Stennes!

I recommend searching and reading the old threads as there have been a lot of discussion on all of the topics below. Then we can answer specific questions.

stennes
05-18-2005, 03:22 PM
Hey thanks guys I didnt even think of the search option And you think I would as I use it all the time on the other boards I use. I did the search and found about 4 or 5 real hopefulls on the titles. Thanks again and I will be here alot as I see there is alot of real good info and expert knowledge here.
Thanks again!!!,
Mike :)

Leroy
05-18-2005, 03:28 PM
Stennes; Ask away once you have read the searches, please!

stennes
05-18-2005, 06:18 PM
Leroy,
Somedays I just hope I get out the door with my clothes on right. After it was suggested I did the search and as you read I posted I found some good ones. Today I just feel like Homer Simpson DOHH
Thanks again and I will head your advice.
Mike

zberger
05-18-2005, 06:46 PM
I just installed a stereo in a boat.. not a mastercraft, but my buddies 1990 Celebrity 180.

I used an isolator just like this one.. except it has another post, which as far as I know you don't use in a boat.

http://www.smithae.com/Isolator.gif

We used a standard Marine cranking battery for the main boat battery (runs the hydraulics for the lower unit, other misc crap for the boat) and the biggest deep cycle marine battery that walmart had, which was a Everstart MAXX, i think its a group 24 battery its HUGE. bought the battery box from walmart (7 bucks.. ) and put it all in. Used 52 ft of 4 Ga power wire to mount it all ( due to boat design). Both batteries are grounded to the engine block one on each side.

Tonight I will be testing the voltages I get with the boat running and also with the boat off.

We ran a smaller 60x4 Kenwood amp, with a 40 amp fuse rating. a Kenwood deck, that does just about everything we'd ever need and 4 Polk Speakers, that are marine certified. I will take some pictures tonight and maybe post them.

adkins1966
05-18-2005, 08:10 PM
If you do get a chance, do post them. I am in the process of restoring and upgrading my 89 tristar 190. I currently have the two battery system with a battery isolator and was wondering if I may need a larger alternator to push the 1000W amp and 8 light system.

PE4ME
05-18-2005, 10:40 PM
"yellow top", sealed dry cell- I am told that this is more than enough to run a mildly up graded system. I run an older alpine 4 channel amp with no problem. With the addition of another amp they said this "yellow top" is indestructable and is used in competion ALL the time with NO problems. Granted they are probably turning over 4 cylinder imports but... Just an option. Anyone have experience with this set up?

zberger
05-19-2005, 11:30 AM
"yellow top", sealed dry cell- I am told that this is more than enough to run a mildly up graded system. I run an older alpine 4 channel amp with no problem. With the addition of another amp they said this "yellow top" is indestructable and is used in competion ALL the time with NO problems. Granted they are probably turning over 4 cylinder imports but... Just an option. Anyone have experience with this set up?

A yellow top is designed for storage. Are you going to be starting the boat with this battery also, or is this simply a 2nd battery?

They CAN start items, but thats not their primary design.

Leroy
05-19-2005, 11:39 AM
Adkins1966; Let's see, 1000W plus 8 times 60 watts/bulb 480 watts, plus another 220 watts of misc 1700 watts total divided by 13 or around 130 amps. If you have the standard 55-60Amp alternator you are in drainage mode with everything on. If the stereo rating is peak and the avg is half that or so then it's better but still above standard alternator. Hope this helps.

If you do get a chance, do post them. I am in the process of restoring and upgrading my 89 tristar 190. I currently have the two battery system with a battery isolator and was wondering if I may need a larger alternator to push the 1000W amp and 8 light system.

adkins1966
05-19-2005, 01:03 PM
So, a higher output alternator wouldn't hurt anything is what you are saying?? I have had this boat for a long time and never replaced the alternator, so it wouldn't hurt to change it out anyways.

zberger
05-19-2005, 03:28 PM
So, a higher output alternator wouldn't hurt anything is what you are saying?? I have had this boat for a long time and never replaced the alternator, so it wouldn't hurt to change it out anyways.

Just make sure you get an alternator thats designed for a marine environment..

I have read that some of them need to have spark arrestors on them, but then other people use regular car ones.

Keep in mind, a higher current alternator is only going to help when the boat is running.. not when you are parked on shore somewhere. It will however help charge more batteries, faster. I haven't really seen or heard of many people running more than 2 batteries.

A properly done system in a boat should be able to run for a couple hours off key (engine off) with 1 large deep cycle battery. To test it, put a multimeter on the battery(s) and see how far they drop after a certain amount of time. Keep in mind, I would be isolating the stereo battery(s) from the boat battery that way you can always start the boat :)

zberger
05-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Adkins1966; Let's see, 1000W plus 8 times 60 watts/bulb 480 watts, plus another 220 watts of misc 1700 watts total divided by 13 or around 130 amps. If you have the standard 55-60Amp alternator you are in drainage mode with everything on. If the stereo rating is peak and the avg is half that or so then it's better but still above standard alternator. Hope this helps.

Keep in mind, the stereo is not always pulling a SET amount of current from the battery, its gonna be going up and down.

The fuse rating on the amp, is a good indication of how much current the amp will pull.. because if its rated at 40, its not gonna pull more than that.

adkins1966
05-19-2005, 03:34 PM
Thanks, I will be doing some experimentation to see what it does.

Leroy
05-19-2005, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't necessarily change it just because you have had it for a long time. As I said and zberger also says, you probably gave us a peak power rating and average power is probably 1/2 or less of that. Do you listen to it at max power for long period of time?

River Rat
05-19-2005, 04:00 PM
I was going to add a second batt to my boat when a friend came up with another solution. I bought a portable batt jump starter from wally world for $38.00 I think. I carry it with me when I am out on the boat and if I run my batt down I can hook the jumper cables up turn the thing on and fire that baby up……in theory any way. And with 4 cars, a boat, 2 jet skies, and 2 lawn mowers It’s got to come in handy elsewhere. and it was cheaper :friday:

adkins1966
05-19-2005, 04:02 PM
No, way too loud, and I occasionally enjoy having drinking too much and stretching stories as far as can be believable!!

the legend
05-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Run dual (blue top deep cycle)optima batteries using either an electronic isolator or a simple rotorary switch to isolate the stereo batt from the cranking batt when needed. A company called Wrangler power products offers a 135 amp alternator that will fit on the stock mounting brackets.

zberger
05-19-2005, 04:17 PM
No, way too loud, and I occasionally enjoy having drinking too much and stretching stories as far as can be believable!!

If thats the case, I'd definetely be getting a 2nd battery, a BIG one. Just really depends how much you wanna spend on it all..

you can get a 69 dolla big EverStart MAXX from Walmart like I did.. or go for a big dog like this one.. If you get a bigger alternator, you are probably going to need a bigger isolator or switch also, to handle the upgraded current that will be flowing through it.. ~200 amp isolators are around 150 bucks or so.

http://www.cardomain.com/item/STISP1700

or if that won't fit (its BIG), There are other solutions that will work.

It just depends how much you want to spend and what you want to accomplish.

zberger
05-19-2005, 04:19 PM
Run dual (blue top deep cycle)optima batteries using either an electronic isolator or a simple rotorary switch to isolate the stereo batt from the cranking batt when needed. A company called Wrangler power products offers a 135 amp alternator that will fit on the stock mounting brackets.

They even make a neat rack for this type of setup (dunno if it would fit in a MC boat..

Here is some info and a pic on it :)

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/marine/starter___deep_cycle.RowPar.0002.ContentPar.0002.C olumnPar.0002.Image.0.0.gif

The OPTIMA® TrollFury kit is a heavy-duty 12/24-volt dual purpose (engine starting and deep cycle) marine battery system designed for the rigorous demands of professional and sport fishermen. It is ideal for trolling motors, bass boats, and all other boats that demand extreme reserve time.

The TrollFury kit allows you to connect two D34M BlueTop batteries (not included), creating two batteries in one. The TrollFury kit contains the base, cover and cables needed for you to set up your TrollFury system in a 12-volt or a 24-volt configuration. The OPTIMA TrollFury battery pack significantly outperforms and outlasts conventional flat plate batteries.

atlfootr
03-13-2007, 11:08 PM
Red = Positive
Black = Negative

Leroy
03-13-2007, 11:26 PM
And I read through this thread again to get to this! :mad: Don't tell me you have been out footin again lately, I want to hear you are so busy you can't get out in the 80 degree Florida sunshine! ;)

How's it going!

Red = Positive
Black = Negative

atlfootr
03-13-2007, 11:39 PM
And I read through this thread again to get to this! :mad: Don't tell me you have been out footin again lately, I want to hear you are so busy you can't get out in the 80 degree Florida sunshine! ;) How's it going!Go'n good, thanks ...
Things have been busy i.e. work, but we somehow manage to find sometime to foot :)
Com'o dwn and foot w/ us, if you like.

Leroy
03-13-2007, 11:45 PM
You know I found a class that is offered in several parts of the country, but one location is Tampa first weekend of May I think! I'm feeling particularily in need of that training!

Thanks for the offer, would be great to see you if this works out!

Go'n good, thanks ...
Things have been busy i.e. work, but we somehow manage to find sometime to foot :)
Com'o dwn and foot w/ us, if you like.

atlfootr
03-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Found a class that's offered in several parts of the country, one location's in Tampa first weekend of May!
I'm feeling particularily in need of that training!
Thanks for the offer, would be great to see you if this works out!TAKE IT!
I'll only an hour east of there, located between Tampa / Orlando.
pm, if your serious about com'n down :D