PDA

View Full Version : Resurrecting our 1989 Tristar 190

kmaclean
04-15-2009, 06:54 PM
tests

wheelerd
04-16-2009, 02:38 AM
I'm in the midst of doing a complete interior reno on my 91 TriStar. Also have some GT40p heads and a manifold ready to go on whenever I get a new cam ordered.
I'll be glad to help you with whatever info I have.

kmaclean
04-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Rockin....we just put the heads on our newly rebuilt block...also changing out freeze plugs to brass and stainless cause this boats gonna be ran in saltwater, and the last engine was ruined when salt eventually ate through the steel freeze plugs, and water got in the oil....

Monte
04-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Man, take it for what it is worth from somebody who has been there.. The classic MC look beats the hell out of a unreconizeable boat any day. I will say this, whatever you do. Don't let go of that windshield. Those things are extremely hard to find and very expensive to replace.. If you ever try to sell it, the windshield will be the kicker..

As for the motor mods:headbang:

kmaclean
04-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Good tip on the windshield...engines coming together except for a mystery port on the intake manifold, just on the port side of the 4 barrel carb...The other engine didn't have this opening, looks like it goes through to the exhaust? This engine is a 1972 351 ford W, gonna have to plug the opening or something.....

Anyone have a clue on this one?

kmaclean
05-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Just got the new (1972 rebuilt) engine put in and turning nicely....bit of a challenge to do that when the person that sold you the engine forgot to tell you the 351W engine actually has a 302 crankshaft or camshaft in it, and has a complete nonstandard firing order!!

No worries, we figured it out and now on to more fun things!!

wheelerd
05-29-2009, 02:04 AM
Gotta love that 302 firing order! Hope you didn't wipe out your camshaft lobes with too many backfires and such during the initial startup. (Interestingly, the 302 HO engine is the SAME firing order as the 351 W. 302 and 302 HO share the same crank though, IIFC.)

As for the hole on the intake...there are so many variants on the Windsor manifold it's hard to know without seeing a pic. If it's a threaded hole, just find the appropriate plug -- likely a standard size. Depending on the year, manifolds had holes for emissions stuff, choke heating, etc. etc.

russman
06-05-2009, 01:22 PM
hey similar story to me! trying to resuscitate more like our 220. im on the exterior finish as my dad and his friend are looking after the engine. do you know what is the best way to clean up the hull and gel coating as ours is pretty discoloured from years in salt water and then years in the shed? also is it possible to get new decals for a tristar as want this classic to look the part!

kmaclean
06-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Mulit-step buffing will bring back shine of gel coat. We tried a small area and it appears to have worked!

krcflyer
06-07-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm also in a long refurb project on a 91 Tristar. Buffed and shined to get finish back, interior needs some work next, then trailer, then....
With three (?) of these going, we should have many mutually beneficial topics!

Kirby

denverd1
06-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Hey guys, got an '86 tristar here that i've been working on for a few years. done tower and racks, stereo and ballast system, finishing up some engine work. great boats.

wheelerd
06-09-2009, 04:43 PM
[QUOTE? also is it possible to get new decals for a tristar as want this classic to look the part![/QUOTE]

Check out:
Bay Area Watersports
Tampa Bay's Exclusive MasterCraft Dealer
(813) 996-BAWS(2297)
www.bayareawatersports.com <http://www.bayareawatersports.com

They were able to supply the hard-to-find stern side TRISTAR 190 decals that I needed for my 1991. I'm sure they will also have the more common MasterCraft decal that goes on the sides.

There are also several PDF files of various things kicking around here on Teamtalk if you do a search.

russman
06-10-2009, 10:48 AM
cheers wheelerd just mailed b.a.w.s so hopefully they'l be able to sort me out!

russman
06-10-2009, 10:51 AM
guys think i need a new intercooler for the 351w as watercooling pipe is damaged and water is getting into the oil any advice? also what kind of carburetors are you guys running?

TMCNo1
06-10-2009, 11:18 AM
guys think i need a new intercooler for the 351w as watercooling pipe is damaged and water is getting into the oil any advice? also what kind of carburetors are you guys running?
All I can figure out from the post is, the transmission cooler is leaking internally and water is getting the transmission fluid. If I am correct, a replacement can be found here, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R147014, other than that, I'm totally lost as to what your saying.

If it's the 351W in your profile, TriStar 220, it should be a Holley Marine 4160,

russman
06-10-2009, 11:54 AM
cheers tmcno1 will look into that straight away.

denverd1
06-10-2009, 01:15 PM
hmmm.. sounds like engine oil is contaminated. Tranny cooler is on the raw water line as it enters the boat behind the engine. Water goes thru tranny cooler first, then up to water pump at front of the engine. CHeck tranny fluid to see if a got water in there.

wheelerd
06-11-2009, 01:33 AM
Russman -- Are you talking water into the engine oil or the tranny fluid? How do you know water is getting in? If it's into the engine oil that would be a gasket -- head or maybe intake -- or worse, a cracked block.

krcflyer
06-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Anyone know where to get fram parts for the center section frame? The overhanging part on the driver's side "tears" from the bottom, so only top half holds center section down.

wheelerd
06-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Same thing when I bought mine.
I teach at a college that has a trades division. I just took it to one of my welding contacts there who specializes in aluminum and he welded it back together.
I doubt if any of the windshield parts are available unless you luck out on Ebay, TeamTalk, or a dealer with old stock. You might be able to get a shop to fabricate a whole frame if you need.

kmaclean
07-01-2009, 10:21 PM
pics of the tristar

kmaclean
07-01-2009, 10:23 PM
after stage 1

Hoosier Bob
07-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Being an out of the closet Tristar lover I need more pics! Nice open bow splitter! Keep posting please!:D

wheelerd
07-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Lookin' good.

Just curious, how did you get the fenders off your trailer? Mine are welded to the side steps (which are welded to the frame.)
I need to get a couple of small dings out before I repaint.

Hoosier Bob
07-01-2009, 11:03 PM
Your B&W Tri is Bad ***! Post some big pics will you!!!!?Lookin' good.

Just curious, how did you get the fenders off your trailer? Mine are welded to the side steps (which are welded to the frame.)

JohnE
07-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Lookin' good.

Is it possible he has an MC trailer and you don't? My Tristar had an S&P trailer. I never tried to get the fenders off, but they were steel and possibly welded on.

wheelerd
07-02-2009, 10:19 AM
I dunno. My trailer looks like every other one I've seen with a Tristar and a ProStar from the early 90s that has an original trailer. It has the Mastercraft VIN tag on the tongue. Having said that, I know that manufacturers often subcontract the trailer production.

wheelerd
07-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Your B&W Tri is Bad ***! Post some big pics will you!!!!?

Here ya go. These are from yesterday -- catching some water time on Canada Day (our equivalent of your July 4 -- you probably know that!) Wife and twins are my crew.

I did a complete interior refurb over the winter and spring. I'll post some pics later.

wheelerd
07-03-2009, 12:46 AM
Here are some shots of the new interior. The carpet is from Overtons. I wanted to keep the look as original as possible so the upholsterer used the old skins as a template for the new ones. I removed and replaced them myself and saved about $1000. Since the original logos were heat-stamped in the vinyl my only option was to have them sewn in at a local sports shop that does lots of high-end embroidery. I was pleased with the way they turned out.

TMCNo1
07-03-2009, 06:46 AM
The TriStar and early MariStar trailers were built for MasterCraft by SMP,

Sweetwater Metal Products Co
(423) 337-3466
127 Industrial Park Rd
Sweetwater, TN 37874

Here is a link to their pipe dispensing trailer website, http://www.pipetrailer.com/

Hoosier Bob
07-03-2009, 09:54 AM
That boat looks awesome! Love the colors and interior. Nice ride!Here are some shots of the new interior. The carpet is from Overtons. I wanted to keep the look as original as possible so the upholsterer used the old skins as a template for the new ones. I removed and replaced them myself and saved about $1000. Since the original logos were heat-stamped in the vinyl my only option was to have them sewn in at a local sports shop that does lots of high-end embroidery. I was pleased with the way they turned out.

wheelerd
07-03-2009, 10:20 AM
The TriStar and early MariStar trailers were built for MasterCraft by SMP,

Sweetwater Metal Products Co
(423) 337-3466
127 Industrial Park Rd
Sweetwater, TN 37874

Here is a link to their pipe dispensing trailer website, http://www.pipetrailer.com/

Cool. I need one of them thar pipe dispensing trailers.:D

Thanks for the info. So the PS trailers were built in-house?
What about current trailer production?

TMCNo1
07-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Cool. I need one of them thar pipe dispensing trailers.:D

Thanks for the info. So the PS trailers were built in-house?
What about current trailer production?

All trailers are built in house except for the triple axle aluminum trailers for the biggest boats and the MC 300 like this one,

damaged442
07-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Eagle also built some trailers for the Tristars, as mine came with one. It lists 1989 Tristar 190 on the trailer ID tag with the serial number, which I thought was kinda cool.

h2oskifreak
07-03-2009, 10:16 PM
All trailers are built in house except for the triple axle aluminum trailers for the biggest boats and the MC 300 like this one,

Someone's beggin for serious transmition problems towing the 300 with that astro van, or whatever it is.

TMCNo1
07-03-2009, 11:36 PM
Someone's beggin for serious transmition problems towing the 300 with that astro van, or whatever it is.

Oh the van tows fine, just last week, a friend moved from one house to another way out in a rural area and I moved his well from one lot to the other with it!:rolleyes::D

kmaclean
07-07-2009, 09:46 PM
We are on trailer #3 or #4....this is a Magic trailer....and also needs to be rebuilt

jasonba1
07-07-2009, 10:43 PM
COntact Owen at boat mate trailers they have built master craft trailer as well for some customers

hkallestad
07-08-2009, 09:14 AM
Here are some shots of the new interior. The carpet is from Overtons. I wanted to keep the look as original as possible so the upholsterer used the old skins as a template for the new ones. I removed and replaced them myself and saved about $1000. Since the original logos were heat-stamped in the vinyl my only option was to have them sewn in at a local sports shop that does lots of high-end embroidery. I was pleased with the way they turned out.

Upholstery looking incredible. Really would like to have that captains chair in my PS 190.