PDA

View Full Version : Lake Sammamish, WA

SteveO
04-14-2009, 02:48 AM
I will be moving to the Seattle Area this summer and am looking for storage, moorage and launch information about Lake Sammamish (looking at houses in Eastern Bellevue, Issaquah and Sammamish) We are still in the house search mode, but I am hoping to store at the house with a 3 car garage, but if I only score a 2 car I will need a storage unit. Any suggestions and riders looking for a third, or a pull, drop me a line as well.

CantRepeat
04-14-2009, 06:10 AM
If you only get a 2 car garage then just make one or both of hte cars unhappy. I lived in the SeaTac area back in the early 90s so I'm of no help on the subject, sorry.

prostar205
04-14-2009, 05:06 PM
SteveO -

Hey, welcome to the sunny great Pacific NW. Hopefully you'll drag the boat over to Lake Washington so we can hook up for a weekend float. Our boat in moored in Lake Washington year round so it's rather difficult to get it over on Sammamish. However, Darren at MasterCraft Seattle is thinking about putting together an owner's reunion together on Lake Sammamish sometime during the summer. I told him I'd definately bring the X30 over for that. As for moorage on Lake Sammamish, there really isn't much since there are no public marinas on the lake - mostly just private homes. You could put an ad on Craigslist asking to rent a slip at someone's home.

As for launch sites, there really is only one launch and that is at the Lake Sammamish State Park. Bring some reading material and your patience on the weekends, it takes forever to launch there.

Storage: can't help with that one.

House: my mother-in-law has a home up on the Sammamish Plateau that she is looking to sell. It's 2,800 squ. ft with 4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, sits on 1 full acre and has a 2 car garage. There is also an RV pad that is wide and long enough for a boat - my wife and I were going to keep our boat there with an aluminum shed/cover but decided to keep it on the water year round. Probably get a good deal without using Real Estate agents - save the 6% commission.

When are you coming up? Hopefully by July 4th because Seattle has a great fireworks show that is awesome to watch from the waters of Lake Washington.

Forrest-X45
04-14-2009, 06:04 PM
SteveO -

Lk Sammamish is a great waterski/wakeboard lake. It is very clean and almost too warm in the summer. It attracks a lot of boat traffic on nice summer days so as prostar205 said bring a book and lots of patience if you want to launch on a nice sunny summer day on the weekend. In my mind it isn't even worth to try to launch on a sunny Saturday or Sunday afternoon. I am on the lake every weekend unless on a lake on the eastside of the state for vacation. I am on by 6 AM and off by 10 before all the tubers show up.
If you are looking for any help or advice on areas to live and neighborhoods you can always PM me. I grew up in Bellevue and then lived on the Issaquah side of the plateau for 7 years, easy access to the boat ramp. :-)

As for moorage, I don't know of any slips available plus the one that are available go fast, but you never know this summer with the economy being what it is. For storage, I know of brand new heated facilty being built that has plenty of space available. It is located on the eastside of the mountains which would work fine for winter storage. Contact www.sandbarmarine.com

dlamont
04-14-2009, 09:37 PM
SteveO,
welcome to our wakeboard/waterski paradise (at least for four months a year). Thanks for stopping by the shop last week, I will keep you in the loop with events as they happen.
For moorage on LK. Sammamish, give me a call or send me an email. I have some at the northend that might work for you.
Hope the house search is going well.
Darren
Mastercraft NW/Seattle

SteveO
04-15-2009, 02:02 AM
Darren, Thanks for the warm welcome. It was nice meeting you at the shop Friday. I look forward to seeing you more this summer. The TX house is under contract, so we are in a full scale push to find something in the area quick. If all goes as plan Tom, we should be in by Mid June. Look forward to some Pac NW riding. Forrest, shoot me a PM with your vitals. I found a house off the 20th and 248th area in Sammamish that looks like a strong prospect.

Forrest-X45
04-15-2009, 04:39 PM
I just found out I might be down a rider this summer so we might need another body. I can keep you updated after you get settled in up here.
The Sammamish area is very nice and has good schools if you have kids. Mostly newer homes so the chances of finding a home with a 3 car garage are very good. The downside is the homes will be on small lots, which might be a benefit to some. Personally - I don't like hearing my neighbor's conversations or when they sneeze. :)

Roonie's
04-15-2009, 04:54 PM
You can deal right now on houses which is great. We just put an offer in 200k under asking and they accepted it. We will be located in between Kirkland and Lake Sammamish. The property is an acre and big enough to put up a temporary shelter for the X2. I plan on boating Lake Sammamish and Lk WA this summer.

Good luck.

brucemac
04-15-2009, 04:55 PM
welcome Steve-O!

samm is awesome. if you're a serious rider, you won't be waiting long at the sammamish ramp because you'll be out early for the best water like most people who ride regularly. the weekends are pretty nuts as stated, but if you're at the ramp before 8:00 or so, you're golden. we typically try to get out as early as 6:00 a.m. on nice weekend mornings later in the summer. retrieving is usually pretty fast because you don't have to wait behind all the people waiting to launch, you take your turn after the next guy launching and then find an open ramp. forget about riding anytime between noon and 6:00 on a hot day or bring your wake surf board. :)

we live in issaquah highlands (exit 18 off of 90) which has been great for the kids. we moved there about 2 years go into a new house. mainly chose it because of the new elementary school, Grandridge, and because it's so close to I90. we're about 8-10 minutes from the samm ramp too. :)

lots are tiny though, but homes are big and some have 3 car tandem garages. lots of good deals up there right now due to the market. most homes have 7ft garage headers in our area though, so really check that out close. darren can point you in the right direction for storage and moorage. my boat luckily fits in the garage.

again welcome and good luck with the move. if there's anything i can do, just let me know.

--bruce

brucemac
04-15-2009, 04:57 PM
You can deal right now on houses which is great. We just put an offer in 200k under asking and they accepted it. We will be located in between Kirkland and Lake Sammamish. The property is an acre and big enough to put up a temporary shelter for the X2. I plan on boating Lake Sammamish and Lk WA this summer.

Good luck.

hey congrats! see you on samm roonies.

Forrest-X45
04-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Oh great.....even more boats on Sammamish this summer. :D
At least they are MC's!!! I am tired of seeing all the malibu's out there. We need more MC's on the lake.

Ski-me
04-15-2009, 06:31 PM
welcome Steve-O!

samm is awesome. if you're a serious rider, you won't be waiting long at the sammamish ramp because you'll be out early for the best water like most people who ride regularly. the weekends are pretty nuts as stated, but if you're at the ramp before 8:00 or so, you're golden. we typically try to get out as early as 6:00 a.m. on nice weekend mornings later in the summer. retrieving is usually pretty fast because you don't have to wait behind all the people waiting to launch, you take your turn after the next guy launching and then find an open ramp. forget about riding anytime between noon and 6:00 on a hot day or bring your wake surf board. :)

we live in issaquah highlands (exit 18 off of 90) which has been great for the kids. we moved there about 2 years go into a new house. mainly chose it because of the new elementary school, Grandridge, and because it's so close to I90. we're about 8-10 minutes from the samm ramp too. :)

lots are tiny though, but homes are big and some have 3 car tandem garages. lots of good deals up there right now due to the market. most homes have 7ft garage headers in our area though, so really check that out close. darren can point you in the right direction for storage and moorage. my boat luckily fits in the garage.

again welcome and good luck with the move. if there's anything i can do, just let me know.

--bruce

Using Google Earth --- my sister-in-law is located off exit 13, I-90. Small world!

OP'r - She sells real estate in that area as well if interested....but it sounds like you may already be lined up. Good luck with the hunt.....Seattle is a nice place.

brucemac
04-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Oh great.....even more boats on Sammamish this summer. :D
At least they are MC's!!! I am tired of seeing all the malibu's out there. We need more MC's on the lake.

ain't that the truth! and they have a demo day coming up as well.

hopefully darren can put something together. it would be really cool to get a big group of MC's together and put some faces to names. totally jealous of CSM. wish we had more stuff like that here.

Forrest-X45
04-15-2009, 08:53 PM
ain't that the truth! and they have a demo day coming up as well.

hopefully darren can put something together. it would be really cool to get a big group of MC's together and put some faces to names. totally jealous of CSM. wish we had more stuff like that here.

Good idea! Let's bug Darren to put something together. He needs something to do because all he as been doing is jet setting around in Spain. :D Now he will read that and hang up on me when I call him. ;)

Patrick Hardy
04-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Welcome to Seattle SteveO, just remember, now that you live in Seattle, it rains every day and the boating is bad...ha-ha. I have not been out on Lake Sammamish for a long time, just to many people for me. You definitely have to be on the lake real early to get good conditions, but if you are there for the scene, then mid afternoon on is the crazy time. As for moorage, join or network with Lake Sammamish Ski Club members, look for advertisements at the condo complexes on the north end of the lake...there usually are slips for rent at those. I stored my boat for years in Renton at this company -www.lakesideboat.com - about 20 to 30 minutes from the greater Sammamish area and one block from a Lake Washington boat ramp. Their warehouse is open seven days a week, reliable, good deal per foot for heated storage and they are trustworthy people. Look to go to wards Eastern Washington from May to October, great boating over there with plenty of hot temperatures. Again, welcome.

brucemac
04-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Good idea! Let's bug Darren to put something together. He needs something to do because all he as been doing is jet setting around in Spain. :D Now he will read that and hang up on me when I call him. ;)

at least he takes your calls :D

just kidding Darren ;)

dapicatti
04-16-2009, 10:46 PM
When is the NW Owners reunion anyway???? Sammamish works for us, just need to know when.
Would like to meet everyone I've "met" here.

dapicatti
04-16-2009, 11:41 PM
Welcome to the great pacific northwest. You did the right thing by getting to know Darren at Seattle MC. Darren will hook you up with all things MC in the Northwest.

I don't want to ruin our piece of heaven on earth but when you want some real fun, come join us eastern WA MC folks on the Columbia river. Once you spend a day riding in the sun, you will do what many on the "wet side" of the state do - start looking for property in eastern WA :D

T-Rager
04-17-2009, 01:38 AM
I slalom on Lake Sam all year round. The course in on the north end of the lake next to Marymoor Park. From November until May you can ski pretty much any time on any day without seeing another skier (however, there are usually fishermen lurking about).

In the summer, I'm usually on the lake midweek at 5:30 a.m. and on the trailer by 7:30 without seeing other boats. I don't bother trying weekends any more.

The fee for launching your boat is $7.00 and is fairly aggressively enforced. For $70 you can get a one-year permit. I launch more than 100 times per year, so the permit is a bargain for me.

Welcome to the area.

brucemac
04-17-2009, 01:42 AM
yeah, i'm with you d. though, i think mc reunion should be a trek for all. columbia for sure. roosevelt, banks, pateros, entiat, etc. somewhere where you're guaranteed hot weather and good water. samm will work just fine i suppose, but my vote is a jaunt to the desert. :D

it will never happen and besides darren want's the local marketing i'm sure, but a guy can dream.

dapicatti
04-17-2009, 01:49 AM
OK, so we go ahead and have a mini reunion on our own in Eastern Washington.
Vantage or Pateros in August or late July if we want hot weather.
You hook it up Bruce, and we will be there!

brucemac
04-17-2009, 04:20 AM
OK, so we go ahead and have a mini reunion on our own in Eastern Washington.
Vantage or Pateros in August or late July if we want hot weather.
You hook it up Bruce, and we will be there!

ha ha, otkay. :D

banks 4th.

see you there!

:)

SteveO
04-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Guys,

Thanks for all the information. The Samm house was sold before I had a chance to contract, so we are still in the hunt. We will end up in Iss schools, so I look forward to hooking up with ya'll when we get settled. I prefer early AM sets, so if you need a third hit me up. I can drag the kids in the chop later in the day.

Forrest-X45
04-17-2009, 05:51 PM
I spoke to Darren about an owner's reunion today. He is going to try and set something up. Maybe Lk Sammamish or maybe even something east for a better chance of hot weather on the river. We talked about Vantage or Cresent Bar.

Someone mentioned Banks. That used to be my secret lake, not anymore....everyone knows about it now but I still go there at least once a year. We could all meet up there the weekend of August 15th. I will already be playing there that weekend. :D

Patrick Hardy
04-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Banks is a great Lake, but a secret? definitely Eastern Washington in August.

prostar205
04-17-2009, 07:48 PM
I would be in for an Eastern Washington reunion. Set it up Darren...Bring the whole MC Seattle and Spokane crew.

dapicatti
04-18-2009, 05:04 PM
There is a Nickleback concert at the Gorge August 29th if anyone is interested. We would just need somewhere to park the boats......we already are planning on going.

dlamont
04-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Guys,
I am on it. My vote would be for a MC get together at Crescent Bar sometime in August. Great weather and water! Let me look at the calender next week and get some dates. Summer is almost here, bring it on!!

mcskier
04-19-2009, 10:43 PM
SteveO,
Welcome to the neighborhood. I echo the others when they say it's best to get out early in the morning or late in the evening. Don't know what your search parameters are, but there's quite a bit of inventory right now. If you haven't already, check out neighborhoods on the south end of the lake like South Cove or Sammamish Beach Club. There aren't that many 3 cars in the hood (I'm one of the only with a separate boat garage), but many have big enough side yards that you could stash the boat there and build a nice carport. I'm in SBC and it's literally 5 mins to the launch. Good luck and welcome.

If you are into skiing, drop me a line on here and we can try to connect some time.

dapicatti
04-20-2009, 01:47 AM
Just took the boat out to Vantage today, it was glass........I am thinking Crescent Bar is the best option!

dlamont
04-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Guys,
I am looking into either renting a few camp sights at Crescent bar or a few condos. What do you think?
Also, August 15/16?

brucemac
04-23-2009, 06:33 PM
we get back from houseboat on roosevelt the week before, so i'll have to check with my better half. maybe i could come down for the day. if we don't get enough people to commit darren, let's just do it at samm and thin down the bu percentage for a day. :)

dapicatti
04-23-2009, 10:20 PM
We could do that weekend- a condo would be better for us.

Forrest-X45
04-24-2009, 02:27 PM
I will be camping at Banks over that weekend. So I would suggest a different weekend, but I am only one person. :rolleyes:

dlamont
04-24-2009, 02:42 PM
What about September? The weather is still great over there.

Forrest-X45
04-24-2009, 03:04 PM
What about the end of August? Or even the end of June?????? I am guessing July and August will be tougher to schedule with everyone taking family vacations let alone trying to get reservations somewhere.

prostar205
04-24-2009, 04:59 PM
I probably won't be able to make the Aug. 15th date. However, I'm up for a Lake Sammamish or Lake Washington float on some Saturday afternoon. Once you get into September, kids (for those of us that have them) are starting back to school and it is difficult to get away. Also, fall sports (soccer and football) start with practices in mid-August.

dlamont
04-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Just to let you all know we are having a demo day on our 2009 X2 tomorrow at Lake Sammamish.
Tux will be there from 10am till 4:30pm giving rides and if you want to wakeboard or surf he has that too!! This Saturday at the Lake Sammamish boat launch. Hope to see you there!!

brucemac
04-24-2009, 11:07 PM
right on. hey d i really want to hit up a mc get together on the water. with 3 kiddos though the more notice the better for me. i understand it's tough to get it together with dates that work for everyone though. september is wide open for me, or late august. far enough in advance and maybe i can go stag which would probably be preferred for an east side overnighter.

july is booked for us as well as first full weekend of august, but after that i'm/we're open.

SteveO
04-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Darren, While the offer is tempting, :rolleyes: I think my wife would rather have flown across the country to look at houses this weekend. I may swing by the shop for some measurements on the X2. I found a Lakemont house that if she buys in, may be home and need to see if the X 2 will fit???

Just to let you all know we are having a demo day on our 2009 X2 tomorrow at Lake Sammamish.
Tux will be there from 10am till 4:30pm giving rides and if you want to wakeboard or surf he has that too!! This Saturday at the Lake Sammamish boat launch. Hope to see you there!!

Forrest-X45
05-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Darren, While the offer is tempting, :rolleyes: I think my wife would rather have flown across the country to look at houses this weekend. I may swing by the shop for some measurements on the X2. I found a Lakemont house that if she buys in, may be home and need to see if the X 2 will fit???

SteveO - How is the house search going? Did the Lakemont house work out? I would think with the newer homes in Lakemont that the garages should be big enough for your X-2. Having the tandem trailer should help also with height.

davomaddo
05-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Welcome to the area.
There are a lot of condos with docks on the north end of Lake Sammamish. You should check with the condo associations to see if anyone is renting their dock spots. My buddy rented spot there one year. However, that end of the Lake is far from Sammamish. You may consider launching every time. My buddy who lives at Sammamish does it. The lauch is big. They have the launch thing down to a science.

I ride in the Puget Sound now.
In college and about 4 years after college I rode on Lake Sammamish all the time. A buddy's parents lived there.

The water is usually great in the morning.
Week days it is great sunrise to 10 am. Week ends you have to hit it earlier.

On the week days, the best is actually 8-10am.
You have a group of hard-core skiers who ride pre-work (it isn't too bad), then you have the high schoolers and everyone else who don't get up until 10am or so. 8-10 is a nice window of really calm water.

I am sure you will love the area.
Be sure to take your boat to Lake WA / Lake Union - for a weekend of boating.
The skiing/boarding is good early morning - not good in the afternoon. However, it is a really fun lake to cruise around on.
There are tons of resturants and bars you can boat to - plus really great views (awesome houses, city sky line, UW, etc).

Good luck with the move.
Darren and MC NW can hook you up with people who want to ride - if you need 3rds.
There are a lot of really good riders on Lake Sammamish.

SteveO
05-25-2009, 10:09 AM
Looks like I will officially join the ranks of WA state June 10th. We close on the TX house 6-5 and close on the Lakemont house 6-10. If anyone needs a third or needs a pull, give me a shout. I guess I need to buy one of the silly flags y'all have for the spotter. Darren, thanks for all the help you have given the relo company. Clean her up good before she climbs the hill to her new home.

Bodyshots
06-07-2009, 01:27 AM
Welcome to the three months of boating State SteveO,
If Lake Sammamish is to choppy you might want to try Lake Tapps 20 minutes south of Sammamish.

My personal best, West of the mountains.
http://www.savelaketapps.com/excellent_lake__islands_pi.jpg

Patrick Hardy
06-07-2009, 01:50 AM
Nice photo of Tapps Bodyshots. Do you live / boat there a lot? I store my boat down there and I am out on tapps all the time.

Bodyshots
06-07-2009, 06:55 PM
I now live in Gig Harbor, But if there is sun out im on Lake Tapps. Love the water temp their and its only about 30 minutes away for me.

Roonie's
06-14-2009, 12:50 PM
I was on sammamish yesterday for the first time...... wow there are a lot of Malibu's on that lake. I saw maybe 5 other MC's and about 20 Malibu's mixed in with a handful of other brands too. Too wavy for boarding so did a lot of surfing. Saw the Inland Surfer boat and crew surfing as well.

gobigorgohome
06-17-2009, 01:27 PM
i live on sammamish and go out super early for the best water but for the majority of the day you can head to the west side of the lake to the wakeboarders cove. it is always flat and protected from wind...only thing you need to worry about is the tubers who feel the need to rip through the flat water and churn it up

mcskier
06-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Looks like I will officially join the ranks of WA state June 10th. We close on the TX house 6-5 and close on the Lakemont house 6-10. If anyone needs a third or needs a pull, give me a shout. I guess I need to buy one of the silly flags y'all have for the spotter. Darren, thanks for all the help you have given the relo company. Clean her up good before she climbs the hill to her new home.

Thanks for coming along this morning, Steve! My buddy, Dave, actually makes those flags like you saw in my boat as well as a really nice boat blanket that hook up to your heater tubes. You can find them at http://www.theboataccessoryshop.com

SteveO
06-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Sam,

Thanks for the pull. Your tournament team boat is awesome! A thing of beauty. I look forward to our next set and meeting others on the water.

Steve

prostar205
06-18-2009, 03:01 PM
SteveO -

Don't forget us on Lake Washington. July 4th is coming up and it's a great time and a great show. Let's meet up.

SteveO
06-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Tom,

Let's hook up for a pull. I am going to watch the Lake Union Fireworks from the comfort of my office and avoid the on water madness. May get brave next year after I learn the area. Let me know if you want an early AM pull on Sammamish.