PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help?!?!?!

FHMan1905
04-13-2009, 09:29 PM
I uploaded some pics from our camera last week to the computer....Today attempted to upload some more pics and the computer won't even reconize the camera when i plug it into the USB port....any suggestions?

THanks

bbymgr
04-13-2009, 09:39 PM
You may need to restart the pc. It sounds like the USB plug was pulled out without disengaging the drive via the task manager. This was a common problem with XP.

brucemac
04-13-2009, 09:41 PM
need more info, but might want to make sure camera is off when you plug it in, then turn the camera on. popup should come up asking you what you want to do? assuming XP?

post up some more details.

FHMan1905
04-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Yes it is XP....the computer has been turned off daily since last tuesday when i uploaded the previous pics and restarted earlier today again to make sure.

FHMan1905
04-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Just tried restarting again....made sure the camera was off, plugged it in after everything had opened on the computer....shows on the camera that it is connected to the computer, but the computer is still not reconizing it. Checked sony's website and they say all drivers and software is pre installed with XP.....might just take it my IT guy at work.....

Cloaked
04-13-2009, 09:52 PM
You may need to restart the pc. It sounds like the USB plug was pulled out without disengaging the drive via the task manager. This was a common problem with XP.
Not true.

XP has nothing to do with your stated USB issue. Said issue is in the way the user has the drive set up. If anything it's operator error.

If you are using a USB hub, bypass that and go to a direct USB connection.

FHMan1905
04-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Not true.

XP has nothing to do with your stated USB issue. Said issue is in the way the user has the drive set up. If anything it's operator error.

I haven't changed any settings since tuesday when i used it to upload some pics to ebay....Just normally plug it in and the pop up walks me through the whole process of selecting folders and such. Then click finish and everything is done...but now it won't reconize the driver....even through "my computer"......

Thanks for the pics though...might help find that and restore the defaults....

bbymgr
04-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Not true.

I was basing my statement on witnessing hundreds of similar cases while a GM with Best Buy. In all the cases, the settings were correct, the problem was either a USB or Memory Card slot, and XP was the operating system. There was a Microsoft bulletin that came to the stores for this issue as well.

FHMan1905
04-13-2009, 10:33 PM
I was basing my statement on witnessing hundreds of similar cases while a GM with Best Buy. In all the cases, the settings were correct, the problem was either a USB or Memory Card slot, and XP was the operating system. There was a Microsoft bulletin that came to the stores for this issue as well.

what do i need to do since restarting didn't help anything....new usb ports?...or what?

FHMan1905
04-13-2009, 10:34 PM
The camera itself shows a good connection to the computer

Cloaked
04-13-2009, 10:40 PM
The camera itself shows a good connection to the computerPull the card and put it in a reader.

FHMan1905
04-13-2009, 10:42 PM
yeah i know there is nothing wrong with the camera itself....but how do i fix the issue with the computer...can you buy external readers that hook to the computer to upload pics....I have always just been able to plug the camera in....

Sledge
04-14-2009, 12:06 AM
Try looking in Disk Management to see if the camera is mapping to a drive letter already assigned to another device. Right click My Computer | Manage | Disk Management. For example, if you see that the camera is listed with a drive letter D: and your CD ROM is the D: drive, then you need to re-map the camera to an unused drive letter. If this is the case, right click on the camera | Change Drive Letter | Change | select another letter to map to. Be sure that you are changing the drive letter for the camera. If you change the wrong device, you could be in for some real trouble.