PDA

View Full Version : boating accident

kycat2007
04-13-2009, 01:57 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090413/ap_on_re_us/fatal_boat_crash

flipper
04-13-2009, 02:02 PM
How the heck do you run into a tug boat?

skeeler
04-13-2009, 02:27 PM
How the heck do you run into a tug boat?

Alcohol, it's a hell of a drug.

flipper
04-13-2009, 02:29 PM

Then he should have been going really slow being that he would have been seeing two tugs:D

jdl xstar
04-13-2009, 02:58 PM
This article has lots more details...

http://www.jacksonville.com/news/metro/2009-04-13/story/boat_slams_into_tug_in_st_johns_killing_5_injuring _at_least_7

captain planet
04-13-2009, 03:39 PM

That's what I thought. Imaging 12 people in a MariStar 215 going 25+ mph with a drunk at the wheel. :(

SkiDog
04-13-2009, 04:39 PM
That's what I thought. Imaging 12 people in a MariStar 215 going 25+ mph with a drunk at the wheel. :(

Did somebody say that the driver was DRUNK>? I didn't read that cause it wasn't there! Stop speculating, till you know EXACTLY what happened!:mad:

scott023
04-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Did somebody say that the driver was DRUNK>? I didn't read that cause it wasn't there! Stop speculating, till you know EXACTLY what happened!:mad:

SkiDog... sometimes it's hard not to assume. How the deuce do you hit a fuking tug boat? There has to be a serious lack of attention being paid by the operator to accidently hit soemthing that hard to miss. :confused:

shepherd
04-13-2009, 04:58 PM

Maristar? Drunk? I didn't read anything like that in the two stories. From what I read, it sounds like there was an inexperienced girl at the wheel when the accident happened, and she was probably distracted by her friends. Or maybe she was texting her girlfriends...

The boat was a Crownline. The girl was probably driving because she was the sober designated driver. Don't jump to conclusions. Drink your tea.

SkiDog
04-13-2009, 05:08 PM
Maristar? Drunk? I didn't read anything like that in the two stories. From what I read, it sounds like there was an inexperienced girl at the wheel when the accident happened, and she was probably distracted by her friends. Or maybe she was texting her girlfriends...

The boat was a Crownline. The girl was probably driving because she was the sober designated driver. Don't jump to conclusions. Drink your tea.

Well said Jim!

TX.X-30 fan
04-13-2009, 05:14 PM
maristar210 was hammered and hit a barge????

JohnE
04-13-2009, 05:22 PM
maristar210 was hammered and is a barge????

Stu, be nice.

TX.X-30 fan
04-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Ok.............

TX.X-30 fan
04-13-2009, 05:32 PM
I know someone that came real close to hitting a large granite outcropping near the river bank. Watch the boarder in the mirror is good advise for the driver.

captain planet
04-13-2009, 05:46 PM

Holy cow, relax. :( Notice I said IMAGINE! The reason I said a MariStar was for frame of reference. I couldn't imagine having 12 people in a 22 foot boat. I feel crowded if we have 8 people on a 24 foot pontoon in the summer.

Heck, even 7 people in a boat, on plane, in a narrow water way is going to take away from the driver's attention whether he/she is drunk or not...let alone 12 people.

Plus I wrote that before I saw the article that had all the info in it. So....chill out and drink your tea. :confused:

CantRepeat
04-13-2009, 06:22 PM
I know someone that came real close to hitting a large granite outcropping near the river bank. Watch the boarder in the mirror is good advise for the driver.

That's why you let your 4 year old drive the boat and then put it on you tube. Why would you let a rookie, who it seems they met at the bar, drive your boat? It doesn't say that she was or was not intoxicated, but still why let a stranger drive your boat?

flipper
04-13-2009, 06:22 PM
kool aid anybody?

JohnE
04-13-2009, 06:29 PM
That's why you let your 4 year old drive the boat and then put it on you tube. Why would you let a rookie, who it seems they met at the bar, drive your boat? It doesn't say that she was or was not intoxicated, but still why let a stranger drive your boat?

TX, you did that too? I'm surprised after the first guy who did that took a beating on this site.:D

flipper
04-13-2009, 06:48 PM
TX, you did that too? I'm surprised after the first guy who did that took a beating on this site.:D

For TX it was a little different. The 4 year old taught him how to drive the boat being that he was the only one able to read the book on the boat.

TX.X-30 fan
04-13-2009, 07:54 PM

I was on the end of the rope on a last sunset run on glass and all the sudden I was sinking. :D

Brother-in-laws are over rated. :mad:

TX.X-30 fan
04-13-2009, 07:56 PM
In the end sometimes these are good teaching moments about how dangerous these boats can be if your not giving them the utmost respect.

shepherd
04-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Holy cow, relax. :( Notice I said IMAGINE! The reason I said a MariStar was for frame of reference. I couldn't imagine having 12 people in a 22 foot boat. I feel crowded if we have 8 people on a 24 foot pontoon in the summer.

Heck, even 7 people in a boat, on plane, in a narrow water way is going to take away from the driver's attention whether he/she is drunk or not...let alone 12 people.

Plus I wrote that before I saw the article that had all the info in it. So....chill out and drink your tea. :confused:

I guess we were getting a little defensive weren't we??? Quit picking on us drunks! :D
No tea. Beefeaters this evening.

JohnE
04-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Shep, I didn't know you are a Beefeater's drinker. I thought I was the only one in the world who drank that. I'm surrounded by Saphire and Tanqueray fans around here.

TX.X-30 fan
04-13-2009, 08:38 PM
I bet the Ambassador won't drink Beefeaters.

JohnE
04-13-2009, 08:40 PM
I bet the Ambassador won't drink Beefeaters.

Ambassador is a Milagro drinker.;)

shepherd
04-13-2009, 11:03 PM
Shep, I didn't know you are a Beefeater's drinker. I thought I was the only one in the world who drank that. I'm surrounded by Saphire and Tanqueray fans around here.

Sapphire, Tanqueray, Beefeaters... I don't care.

scott023
04-14-2009, 12:14 AM
Sapphire, Tanqueray, Beefeaters... I don't care.

MMMM.... booze. :D

captain planet
04-14-2009, 09:33 AM
I guess we were getting a little defensive weren't we??? Quit picking on us drunks! :D
No tea. Beefeaters this evening.

Agreed, I guess I was practicing self loathing. That being said I'll crack open a cold home brew when I get to the house tonight! ;)
Cheers!

BrandonKTM
04-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Any Update on how this accident happened?

TMCNo1
04-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Any Update on how this accident happened?

They continue to update and here is the latest update on http://www.jacksonville.com/news, Investigators: Alcohol on boat that crashed in Palm Valley (http://www.jacksonville.com/news/metro/crime/2009-04-15/story/investigators_alcohol_on_boat_that_crashed_in_palm _valley), but..............................?

jdl xstar
04-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Disclosure: I am speculating for the sake of discussion- don't bite my head off!

Everything about the situation is absolutely horrible. The lawsuits will be flying for years. IF it can be traced to the Conch House that alcohol was served to the underage people (4 total, 1 dead) on the boat, that place is toast along with the boat owner.

Its unfortunate that events like these serve as reality checks for us as boat owners and personally, I will keep this situation in mind all summer when there is drinking going on or even when the boat is crammed full of people.

Tomsinamerica
04-15-2009, 12:35 PM

John... if you're ever in Raleigh, feel free to stop by. My Dad taught me well, I keep a good stock of beefeater.

BrandonKTM
04-15-2009, 03:39 PM
You know accidents happen a lot of the time because we think we know what we are doing. About 20 years ago we went out early on the lake and there was thick fog. Barely see the front of the boat. We decided to idle to the other side of the lake and see if wind had made it drivable. Darn if it didn't feel like a long time to get across a 1 mile wide lake at that spot. Suddenly, 20 ft in front of us was a dock. After a while we figured out that it was on the side we left from! We had gone in a complete circle. Mind you we are still sitting in a fog bank, barely able to make out anything. We looked at each other and realized we were clueless, it was funny, but thats 'cause no one got hurt. Things that can change your life in an instant are out there everywhere.

jdl xstar
04-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Things that can change your life in an instant are out there everywhere.

Had a similar night outing incident a few years ago. I very near drove a boat onto shore with a few people on board. Driving down a river at night with a spotlight but somehow i lost focus and almost didn't see a sharp turn. Only thing that made me aware i was off course was the tall shoreline grass hitting the boat! Kinda shook us all up at how close of a call it was at the time. :eek:

shepherd
04-15-2009, 04:01 PM
When we were teenagers, a buddy and me were running down the Potomac River in his boat at night without lights. We ran straight into a fishing net, almost at full speed but he saw it and pulled back the throttle just before we hit. It was kind of funny - the net bowed in and then pushed us back out like a slingshot. Scared the crap out of us, but we were laughing 10 minutes later.

We weren't drinking. You don't have to be drunk to do stupid sheet.

macrogp18
04-15-2009, 04:48 PM
People, not to stir the pot but how about a little more sensitivity here please? I know two of the people killed and three others who were injured in this accident. I went to High school with them. Also those are the 3rd and 4th friends i have lost to DUI accidents, and im only 23. Keep things in prespective in life and remember when you are bashing stories like this there are people who have lost loved ones and friends. RIP

Maristar210
04-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Nice job guys :mad:

TX.X-30 fan
04-15-2009, 05:06 PM
I thought it happened in Florida?? It is sad but whether I was drunk or sober I'm not getting in their boat.

jdl xstar
04-15-2009, 05:17 PM
I thought it happened in Florida?? It is sad but whether I was drunk or sober I'm not getting in their boat.

apparently there were a handful of passengers from CA that were visiting friends for the weekend.

TX.X-30 fan
04-15-2009, 05:31 PM
I see, thanks Jd.

JohnE
04-15-2009, 05:55 PM
People, not to stir the pot but how about a little more sensitivity here please? I know two of the people killed and three others who were injured in this accident. I went to High school with them. Also those are the 3rd and 4th friends i have lost to DUI accidents, and im only 23. Keep things in prespective in life and remember when you are bashing stories like this there are people who have lost loved ones and friends. RIP

My condolences to you and all the friends and family of those hurt or killed.

But I guess this was alcohol related based on your post?

macrogp18
04-15-2009, 09:33 PM
No details have been released at this point but that would be my guess. Oficially its still under investigation.

trickskier
04-15-2009, 10:29 PM
That's what I thought. Imaging 12 people in a MariStar 215

CP...................you need to learn how to add...............5 people killed - 9 injured = 14. The boat had a MAX capacity of 12 people.

Chief
04-16-2009, 12:00 AM

It's always a bad thing to see young people lose their lives. I'm sure I speak for all of us over the age of 30 or under 30 that we all have been affected by a DUI in one way or another.

I can only hope that just like us older guys that "you" take something away from this and not repeat the mistakes made by others so you or someone else you know don't become a topic on a message board either.

scott023
04-16-2009, 01:02 AM
Like others have already said... it is sh!tty that it takes something like this to make pople think hard about their actions. I know that I will be thinking about this everytime we go out on the new boat, I hope others do the same.

shepherd
04-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Something like this hits the news, and people are going to talk. I didn't read anything here where people were being disrespectful of the victims. If nothing else, discussions like these help drive the point further: Be careful out there.

captain planet
04-17-2009, 11:11 AM
CP...................you need to learn how to add...............5 people killed - 9 injured = 14. The boat had a MAX capacity of 12 people.

Yea, yea, yea, I know. I was thinking about a comparable 22 foot MC, the 215 came to mind and I was imagining how many people could sit in it. I pictured 12 in my head, then thought about the confusion trying to drive with that many people in the boat. Add two more and now people are sitting on the floor or on the sundeck. Crazy.

The story and comments on this thread are something to think about, how quickly everything can change in an instant when an accident happens and how to avoid those situations.

trickskier
04-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Yea, yea, yea, I know. I was thinking about a comparable 22 foot MC, the 215 came to mind and I was imagining how many people could sit in it. I pictured 12 in my head, then thought about the confusion trying to drive with that many people in the boat. Add two more and now people are sitting on the floor or on the sundeck. Crazy.

The story and comments on this thread are something to think about, how quickly everything can change in an instant when an accident happens and how to avoid those situations.

I was just giving you a hard time................;)

captain planet
04-17-2009, 11:34 AM
I was just giving you a hard time................;)

I know, I just got backed into a corner on this one...I'm not used to that, especially when there is a tragedy involved.

On a side note, TX typically tries to back me into corners.....but he doesn't count. :D

TX.X-30 fan
04-17-2009, 11:45 AM
I know, I just got backed into a corner on this one...I'm not used to that, especially when there is a tragedy involved.

On a side note, TX typically tries to back me into corners.....but he doesn't count. :D

I can't believe you would say that all the while knowing your my favorite tree hugger. :D

h2oskifreak
04-17-2009, 11:49 AM
I don't see why (not to say if these people were or wern't) people drink and boat. Sure it's nice to have something to drink on the water, but the driver just can't dot it. I NEVER drink when I am at the lake, I'm there to ski and 1 beer takes away the edge you need in the course. If I go to a larger lake for recreation, have your fun in the morning, park your boat and do whatever from there. Simply not worth taking the chance. I like to drink as much as the next guy, just choose the time and place people.

flipper
04-17-2009, 12:25 PM
I don't see why (not to say if these people were or wern't) people drink and boat. Sure it's nice to have something to drink on the water, but the driver just can't dot it. I NEVER drink when I am at the lake, I'm there to ski and 1 beer takes away the edge you need in the course. If I go to a larger lake for recreation, have your fun in the morning, park your boat and do whatever from there. Simply not worth taking the chance. I like to drink as much as the next guy, just choose the time and place people.

I do the same thing. Don't drink all day in the boat, don't even have beer with me most of the time. When I get back to camp, all done boating, it's on:toast::friday:

trickskier
04-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Boat's driver not intoxicated, lawyer says

Medical examiner's statement appears supportive; guest, 44, was at the wheel

Some of the passengers might have been drinking, but the person at the wheel of a 22-foot boat that crashed into an Intracoastal Waterway construction site Sunday wasn't intoxicated, an attorney representing three of the victims said Friday. A statement from the Medical Examiner's Office seems to back up the claim.

Five people were killed and nine injured in the 7:15 p.m. wreck about a mile north of the Palm Valley Bridge. It started off as a Sunday cruise to St. Augustine. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, National Transportation Safety Board and Coast Guard continued their joint investigation Friday into what caused the boat to veer into a 25-foot tugboat.

Attorney Rod Sullivan represents Josh Moore, 18, Justin Moore, 23, and Frank Moore, 53. The younger Moores were treated for their injuries and released from the hospital. Frank Moore is in fair condition at Shands Jacksonville, Sullivan said.

Sullivan said his clients told investigators 44-year-old Jacqueline Allen was steering the Crownline pleasure boat, which was owned by Ponte Vedra Beach resident Melvin "Donnie" Bethel, 37, when it smashed into the side of the moored tugboat. They estimated the boat was going about 30 to 35 mph when it crashed. Allen was killed.

Sullivan's clients declined to comment, and Bethel wasn't available. His lawyer, Brian Flaherty, didn't respond to interview requests. At least the two younger Moores and Bethel were interviewed Friday by the National Transportation Safety Board, Sullivan said.

The group was at the Conch House Marina Resort in St. Augustine on Easter when they met Allen and her friend, 42-year-old Inmaculada Pierce, and invited them on the boat. They were both killed in the wreck.

Victims were mostly friends

It was a normal outing for some of the passengers. The victims were mostly friends, including some from California who had moved to Florida and others who were visiting from there.

Allen was chosen to drive because she was the most sober of anyone on the vessel who had boating experience, Sullivan said. Medical Examiner Terrence Steiner said in a news release Friday that the person in the captain's chair had a blood-alcohol level of 0.035 percent, which is the equivalent of about one or two drinks and below the legal limit of 0.08.

The release didn't identify the person by name and said it's unknown if the "individual was steering the vessel at the time of the accident." But Sullivan said witness statements placed Allen, whose funeral is scheduled for 3 p.m. today at the Barco-Newton YMCA, in the driver's seat.

"Alcohol didn't cause this crash," Sullivan said. "The real cause of this accident is that people were sitting in front of the driver."

He said two passengers - 23-year-old Robert "Trenton" Craig and 22-year-old Jaimie Hole - were perched in the bow of the boat obscuring Allen's forward view.

Paul Thomas, Jacksonville sector commander for the Coast Guard, told the Times-Union on Thursday that the particular Crownline model involved in the crash has a registered capacity of 12 people, or about 1,800 pounds. That made the boat over capacity during the wreck, but Sullivan said the main problem was the seating arrangement.

"Regardless of how many people the boat is designed to accommodate, it's not safe for people to sit in the bow area while it's being operated," Sullivan said. "She couldn't see through Craig."

Sullivan said he is preparing a lawsuit, but has not decided who will be named.

Fish and Wildlife spokeswoman Joy Hill didn't respond to phone calls from the Times-Union. Peter Knudsen of the National Transportation Safety Board also would not comment, stating the investigation was being led by Fish and Wildlife officers.

Board member Debbie Hersman said Wednesday the investigation will include a study of throttle and steering mechanisms, engine operation and damage to both vessels. She said officials also will look for any recording devices similar to those on commercial vessels and aircraft, but do not expect to find any because they are not required on recreational boats.

Hersman said the study could take as long as a year.

CantRepeat
04-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Wow, that's kind of crazy. The seating chart compared to KIAs isn't what I would have expected.

TX.X-30 fan
04-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks Trick.

shepherd
04-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Of course, the sad story continues... There's a lawyer involved, trying to decide who to sue. Well, let's start with Crownline who shouldn't have manufactured a boat with seating that would obstruct the driver's view. And then there's the boat owner, the estate of the boat driver, the tug boat owner, the person who owns the house where the dock is being built, the contractor who is building the dock and hired the tug boat... :noface:

TX.X-30 fan
04-18-2009, 07:40 PM
An attractive woman found herself alone in the elevator with a lawyer. "I could push this red button, get down on my knees and give you the best **** job of your life," she purred. He thought a minute and said, "I'm sure you could - but what's in it for me?"

trickskier
04-19-2009, 03:27 PM
An attractive woman found herself alone in the elevator with a lawyer. "I could push this red button, get down on my knees and give you the best **** job of your life," she purred. He thought a minute and said, "I'm sure you could - but what's in it for me?"

LMAO..................:D

SkiDog
04-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Boat's driver not intoxicated, lawyer says

Medical examiner's statement appears supportive; guest, 44, was at the wheel

Some of the passengers might have been drinking, but the person at the wheel of a 22-foot boat that crashed into an Intracoastal Waterway construction site Sunday wasn't intoxicated, an attorney representing three of the victims said Friday. A statement from the Medical Examiner's Office seems to back up the claim.

Five people were killed and nine injured in the 7:15 p.m. wreck about a mile north of the Palm Valley Bridge. It started off as a Sunday cruise to St. Augustine. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, National Transportation Safety Board and Coast Guard continued their joint investigation Friday into what caused the boat to veer into a 25-foot tugboat.

Attorney Rod Sullivan represents Josh Moore, 18, Justin Moore, 23, and Frank Moore, 53. The younger Moores were treated for their injuries and released from the hospital. Frank Moore is in fair condition at Shands Jacksonville, Sullivan said.

Sullivan said his clients told investigators 44-year-old Jacqueline Allen was steering the Crownline pleasure boat, which was owned by Ponte Vedra Beach resident Melvin "Donnie" Bethel, 37, when it smashed into the side of the moored tugboat. They estimated the boat was going about 30 to 35 mph when it crashed. Allen was killed.

Sullivan's clients declined to comment, and Bethel wasn't available. His lawyer, Brian Flaherty, didn't respond to interview requests. At least the two younger Moores and Bethel were interviewed Friday by the National Transportation Safety Board, Sullivan said.

The group was at the Conch House Marina Resort in St. Augustine on Easter when they met Allen and her friend, 42-year-old Inmaculada Pierce, and invited them on the boat. They were both killed in the wreck.

Victims were mostly friends

It was a normal outing for some of the passengers. The victims were mostly friends, including some from California who had moved to Florida and others who were visiting from there.

Allen was chosen to drive because she was the most sober of anyone on the vessel who had boating experience, Sullivan said. Medical Examiner Terrence Steiner said in a news release Friday that the person in the captain's chair had a blood-alcohol level of 0.035 percent, which is the equivalent of about one or two drinks and below the legal limit of 0.08.

The release didn't identify the person by name and said it's unknown if the "individual was steering the vessel at the time of the accident." But Sullivan said witness statements placed Allen, whose funeral is scheduled for 3 p.m. today at the Barco-Newton YMCA, in the driver's seat.

"Alcohol didn't cause this crash," Sullivan said. "The real cause of this accident is that people were sitting in front of the driver."

He said two passengers - 23-year-old Robert "Trenton" Craig and 22-year-old Jaimie Hole - were perched in the bow of the boat obscuring Allen's forward view.

Paul Thomas, Jacksonville sector commander for the Coast Guard, told the Times-Union on Thursday that the particular Crownline model involved in the crash has a registered capacity of 12 people, or about 1,800 pounds. That made the boat over capacity during the wreck, but Sullivan said the main problem was the seating arrangement.

"Regardless of how many people the boat is designed to accommodate, it's not safe for people to sit in the bow area while it's being operated," Sullivan said. "She couldn't see through Craig."

Sullivan said he is preparing a lawsuit, but has not decided who will be named.

Fish and Wildlife spokeswoman Joy Hill didn't respond to phone calls from the Times-Union. Peter Knudsen of the National Transportation Safety Board also would not comment, stating the investigation was being led by Fish and Wildlife officers.

Board member Debbie Hersman said Wednesday the investigation will include a study of throttle and steering mechanisms, engine operation and damage to both vessels. She said officials also will look for any recording devices similar to those on commercial vessels and aircraft, but do not expect to find any because they are not required on recreational boats.

Hersman said the study could take as long as a year.

Good post there Trick!

panshovel68
04-20-2009, 05:30 PM
I used to live on the chesapeke bay. I was sitting in the back yard when a when a big cabin cruiser came hauling butt by, yelled to my brother"some ones going to smash the stone jetty". The boat beached itself and came to an abrupt stop just before inpact. Those people didnt even realize the jetty was there, they were laughing and carrying on like fools. People are crazy on the water.

JohnE
04-20-2009, 06:10 PM

I can't remember if I've ever ski'd without having a beer first.:confused:

Not sure if I've ever golfed without one either.

I'm not very good at either one.:D

M-Funf
04-20-2009, 06:27 PM
That happened the day we arrived in JAX... It was all over the news.

TX.X-30 fan
04-20-2009, 06:58 PM

A Few beers have no affect on my water-sport abilities either John. :D

Actually I believe it heightens my false sense of accomplishment. 8p

JohnE
04-20-2009, 07:00 PM
I post better after tipping a few too.

trickskier
04-20-2009, 08:20 PM

I have, but I was in first grade..................:rolleyes:

shepherd
04-20-2009, 11:59 PM
A Few beers have no affect on my water-sport abilities either John. :D

Actually I believe it heightens my false sense of accomplishment. 8p

It's easy! One hand for your beer, the other for the tube.

scott023
04-21-2009, 01:14 AM

My golf game gets better with drinks (I most likely relax more, but who can remember). Game quality heightens when I consume aiming fluid (tequlia) too. :D