PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pass Chip Upgrade

ematthew
05-18-2005, 12:54 AM
Has anyone installed the new chip offered by Perfect Pass to upgrade the Wakeboard Pro model to allow putting names/settings in memory? It cost $65 and I was wondering if this was something the novice owner could do by themselves or if the dealer needed to do it. I have a 2004 X-Star and am considering the upgrade.
Thanks.

MYMC
05-18-2005, 09:40 AM
Very easy to do if you have a chip extractor (I think you can have them send you one), 5 minute job tops.

sizzler
05-18-2005, 09:42 AM
is it available over here???

east tx skier
05-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Anyone know if PP has anything new coming down the pipe for next year. I'm still running 6.4 quite happily. I don't know if I have enough different skiers behind my boat to justify 6.5. Will probably wait a while for an upgrade.

wiltok
05-18-2005, 12:37 PM
Matthew,

Can you provide more details? Does it allow to put multiple settings/users (i.e. Keith Ski, Keith Knee, Andrea Ski, Andrea Knee, etc...). Thanks!

-Keith

east tx skier
05-18-2005, 12:40 PM
This should answer your question.

What's new for Perfect Pass in 2005 (http://www.perfectpass.com/seriousskiers.html#6_5software)

I like the idea of recreational slalom mode. Wheels turning for me again.

BrianM
05-18-2005, 01:54 PM
Anyone know if PP has anything new coming down the pipe for next year. I'm still running 6.4 quite happily. I don't know if I have enough different skiers behind my boat to justify 6.5. Will probably wait a while for an upgrade.

I would stick with what you have. I have the 6.5n and for slalom I don't even use the name feature. It is just as easy to adjust the skier weight. Now if you were running the switch and changing the PX or KX or whatever it will hold that too but we don't have a switch and all of the guys I ski with keep the settings at normal. So the name function is no big deal. There is also supposedly a 'softer' gate with the new version but I can't tell the diference between mine and a ski buddys 6.4.

I heard rumors that PP is going to be upgrading their display to a better more user friendly multi line next year. Can't remember which source I got that from so I may just be spreading rumors.

Ric
05-18-2005, 01:57 PM
I would stick with what you have. I have the 6.5n and for slalom I don't even use the name feature. It is just as easy to adjust the skier weight. Now if you were running the switch and changing the PX or KX or whatever it will hold that too but we don't have a switch and all of the guys I ski with keep the settings at normal. So the name function is no big deal. There is also supposedly a 'softer' gate with the new version but I can't tell the diference between mine and a ski buddys 6.4.

I heard rumors that PP is going to be upgrading their display to a better more user friendly multi line next year. Can't remember which source I got that from so I may just be spreading rumors.
so, the only differences in 6.5 & 6.5n is that the n version has the name feature & softer gates?

that display rumor would be a good thing if it happened

BrianM
05-18-2005, 01:58 PM
Matthew,

Can you provide more details? Does it allow to put multiple settings/users (i.e. Keith Ski, Keith Knee, Andrea Ski, Andrea Knee, etc...). Thanks!

-Keith

Yes you can put in multiple settings and users to a point. You have 8 presets to do with what you wish. BRIANSKI BRIANWAKE would be two presets. Also the display only allows up to 8 characters in the name thus it would have to be BRIANWAK

rodltg2
05-18-2005, 01:58 PM
i was thinking of upgrading for the individual skier settings , but after reading this thread it sounds like its just quicker to change the settings manually than to search and mess with the name thing.

BrianM
05-18-2005, 02:02 PM
i was thinking of upgrading for the individual skier settings , but after reading this thread it sounds like its just quicker to change the settings manually than to search and mess with the name thing.

That is my feeling. If I was upgrading thinking of upgrading from 6.4 I wouldn't do it. Now if I was upgrading from 6.0 I would do it because there has been a lot of other changes besides the most rescent.

MYMC
05-18-2005, 02:05 PM
Having lived with both the Pro and Wake DBW versions for a year now I can tell you that we don't use the individual feature at all. Seems cool at first but it is easier to change settings. We use the KX and the PX per skier and we still dotn use it. On Maeghan's X-Star the feature is almost silly since all it changes are the speeds.

If you have PP DBW; however, and are skiing the course (or have a "pro" ballasted X-Star) you do need a chip change. The TT guys got it first but the dealers should have it soon.

Ric
05-18-2005, 02:30 PM
Having lived with both the Pro and Wake DBW versions for a year now I can tell you that we don't use the individual feature at all. Seems cool at first but it is easier to change settings. We use the KX and the PX per skier and we still dotn use it. On Maeghan's X-Star the feature is almost silly since all it changes are the speeds.

If you have PP DBW; however, and are skiing the course (or have a "pro" ballasted X-Star) you do need a chip change. The TT guys got it first but the dealers should have it soon.
wait, so I should get the 6.5n chip if I already have 6.5dbw? I am skiing the course. I'm no pro but I ski the course mostly

rick s.
05-18-2005, 02:41 PM
You know, what really aggrivates me about the Perfect Pass display, is that when you wear polarized sunglasses (and don't we all on boats) you can't read the display. IMHO PP should spend their time and effort on this upgrade rather than on a software upgrade that is only marginally more useful than before.

rick s.
05-18-2005, 02:53 PM
Oh, and while I'm on the subject, the speed that we use when wakeboarding is wholly dependant on the water conditions. On butter we wakeboard significantly faster than when the water is cut-up, and we are always varying speed anyway. So having names / speeds does not seem to be very useful to me.

east tx skier
05-18-2005, 03:33 PM
If anything, I'd be interested in 6.5n for the recreational slalom settings, i.e., enter 36 and it does the appropriate rpms with skier weight and crew weight. In the past, they recommended speed mode, but in my experience, it's really terrible for free skiing. So we use RPM mode and end up guessing a little from what the baselines in slalom mode are. It seems this would mean more to me than the User presets. I wish I had that many interested ski partners.

MYMC
05-18-2005, 03:57 PM
Ric, There is a "new" version of 6.5DBW that unlocks the settings for PP to take control from the Indmar ECM. If you have a short set-up into the pregates and the boat is still trying to stabilze RPM the new chip will help. There is also a new cal for the MCX with PP DBW that helps as well.

Ric
05-18-2005, 04:08 PM
yikes
my reorder boat is coming without pp because I have a dbw 6.5 setup at home, ready to install
if I get the 6.5n chip, will I still need the mcx ecm reflashed for pp?

sorry guys for all the acronyms, ok?

east tx skier
05-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Mike, on the older versions, i.e., 6.4 Dpro, will running it outside the course in slalom mode, assuming I don't select ^=Y when it asks to recalibrate, mess up any of my setting? I did it once before and must've recalibrated by mistake. The pull felt weird though. Any thoughts?

MYMC
05-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Ric, It depends on when the engine/ECM was made and installed. Have the dealer check the cal and if it is not the new one have them re-flash the ECM. If you need the cal # let me know and I'll post it for you. Also, you'll need the new PP chip for your "old" DBW system...Perfect Pass direct may be the easiest means to that end.

East,
Perfect Pass Pro should not be effected by runnnig in open water, as you pointed out you just cannot "re-calibrate". The system will be looking for mag or timer input (as if going into the pre-gates) but that does not adversly effect the system. Check the KX on a boat like yours I would think that normal would be pretty good...I might even try negetive just to see what it felt like. We have been running the DBW stuff at ++ and it seems to give plenty of time to turn and get into a good position off the ball.

east tx skier
05-18-2005, 04:50 PM
Thanks. I must have instinctively recalibrated that one time. I really need to figure all the kx px stuff out. Proabably should spend more time worrying about getting balls as all the computers in the world won't make up for my newbie skills.

prostar205
05-18-2005, 04:53 PM
MYMC -

How does one tell what version of PP they are running? I have a 2002 X30 with the PP Wakeboard Pro installed. I am fairly certain it was installed at the factory.

Thanks

John B
05-18-2005, 04:57 PM
MYMC -

How does one tell what version of PP they are running? I have a 2002 X30 with the PP Wakeboard Pro installed. I am fairly certain it was installed at the factory.

Thanks
When the computer boots up it will tell you

John B
05-18-2005, 04:59 PM
That is when you start the boat or turn the key on. :D

east tx skier
05-18-2005, 05:07 PM
MYMC -

How does one tell what version of PP they are running? I have a 2002 X30 with the PP Wakeboard Pro installed.

That's either going to be 6.3 or 6.4. 6.4 was the new version in 2003.

Ric
05-18-2005, 06:46 PM
Ric, It depends on when the engine/ECM was made and installed. Have the dealer check the cal and if it is not the new one have them re-flash the ECM. If you need the cal # let me know and I'll post it for you. Also, you'll need the new PP chip for your "old" DBW system...Perfect Pass direct may be the easiest means to that end.

East,
Perfect Pass Pro should not be effected by runnnig in open water, as you pointed out you just cannot "re-calibrate". The system will be looking for mag or timer input (as if going into the pre-gates) but that does not adversly effect the system. Check the KX on a boat like yours I would think that normal would be pretty good...I might even try negetive just to see what it felt like. We have been running the DBW stuff at ++ and it seems to give plenty of time to turn and get into a good position off the ball.
Thanks AGAIN mymc!!!
I will call perfect pass about the chip
Doug, do you run the switch? I could be wrong, but since I don't run the switch, kx & px don't have any effect on our pull anyway do they?

east tx skier
05-18-2005, 07:48 PM
No switch, but I have skied behind a boat that had it. I think they still have some effect on the pull as "hard" or "soft," but as they say in East Texas, don't start me lyin'. Learning about these functions are on my to do list.

BrianM
05-18-2005, 08:11 PM
I could be wrong, but since I don't run the switch, kx & px don't have any effect on our pull anyway do they?

KX will still have an effect on the boat if you do not run a switch. This is throttle response. you have either normal -, +, or ++.

PX is the switch setting. This setting is a number which is a percentage of skier weight. 0 is no switch. According to PP 5 - 15 is a typical setting as in 5-15% of body weight being added as rpm as the switch is activated.

I have never used a switch and am generall happy with the pull so have not messed with KX. I might give it a try sometime to see the difference.

MYMC
05-19-2005, 10:10 AM
Ric, we use the switch but my personal PX setting is "0". Since switching to the Monza ski I may play with the PX again just for fun.

The KX setting does effect pull even when no switch is attached.