PDA

View Full Version : Keel Roller

Farmer Ted
08-14-2004, 12:06 AM
Just wanted to chime in and see if anyone else had a worn out keel roller.

Mine was and unfortunately I didn't notice it until it was too late....

I got a nasty scratch and my roller looks like it's dry rotted right in the middle.

I ended up putting one of those clear ones on but now I'm left with trying to fix the scratch (it looks like I beached the boat on a rock)

JimN
08-14-2004, 12:26 AM
You could use MarineTex. It sets hard as a rock and you can work it like gelcoat or Bondo. If you want to do a direct match, you can get the Glacier White gelcoat repair kit, but if it's a long scratch, it should be sprayed over the patch. Another option is a Keel Guard.

H20skeefreek
08-14-2004, 06:52 AM
i'd fix it with marine tex or some other epoxy, then put on a keelshield. I wouldn't mess with gelcoat unless you have to.

chris.willman
08-16-2004, 10:47 AM
I've got the same problem starting on my '99. Looks like I better get it fixed sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the heads up.

east tx skier
08-16-2004, 11:00 AM
Tim, I took a chunk out of my keel last season and had it repaired professionally, although that company seems to have gone under. It wasn't the roller, but the v-block (with missing carpet that was the culprit). But I did just replace my keep roller with one of the non-maring variety recently. Those end caps were a pain to chissel off. Also, the 10" pin I got from overtons was too short for some reason? Old one worked just fine though.

_JR
08-16-2004, 04:03 PM
Has anyone replaced the keel roller on your trailer?

If so, what is the length and diameter that you used?

I have a 1994 PS190 and the keel roller needs to be replaced!!! :mad:

MarkP
08-16-2004, 04:13 PM
I look at/inspect my trailer parts every weekend after I park the empty trailer at the lake. My roller looks ok, I think. I guess I had better look more closely at it

east tx skier
08-16-2004, 04:28 PM
My old one had rusted/rotted on the inside, and as a result, had bent/warped. Your boat should not be touching this roller when it is sitting on the trailer (slightly above it).

JR, I think it is 10". If you look on the old board under trailers, or in the archives, I asked a lot of questions and got the right answers. I'm almost positive you'll need a 10" keel roller. But if you're replacing the axle, too, I'd measure it, because whatever Overtons sent me was a little short. So if we say the roller is 10", then the axle will be a bit longer.

Check the other board to be sure, though.

_JR
08-16-2004, 04:36 PM
Ahhh, I guess I need to get off of my lazy arse and do a search!

Thanks for the info!

_JR
08-16-2004, 04:44 PM
Got it, 10" Keel Roller with a 5/8" diameter shaft.

Guess I should LOOK before I POST! :huh:

east tx skier
08-16-2004, 05:22 PM
By the way, JR, hit the Pedernales yesterday with my brother-in-law for the first time. Nice little ski place you've got yourself there.

_JR
08-16-2004, 10:23 PM
Shhhhhh! Don't tell anyone...it's a secret... :noface:

So, how far down did you go? Did you launch at Camp Pedernales?

You probably saw my new dock that is scheduled to be delivered TOMORROW!!!! I am a happy man! :D

New water pump arrives on Wednesday, installing it on Thursday and am planning to be in, on, and around the water all weekend, can't wait!

MarkP
08-17-2004, 08:50 AM
What was that spot again??

MarkP
08-17-2004, 08:51 AM
Oops I forgot this:D

east tx skier
08-17-2004, 10:33 AM
JR, we launched at Camp Pedernales and headed in the direction of the 71 bridge about as far up as we could go. Lots of boats (Sunday afternoon around 3 PM), but the wakes were quick to disappear. Kept an eye out for you flaming engine box, but never saw your boat. Good times.

If you ever see a 6'2" tall redheaded guy driving a 99 Supra Comp (blue and teal), tell him hello. That's my brother-in-law.

_JR
08-17-2004, 10:39 AM
Cool, if you went down to the bridge, then you passed my place!

At the moment, there is an orange bouy at our spot that I use to tie up to...we were not out last weekend, as I was in Houston.

rdwilt
08-17-2004, 11:21 AM
I just thought I'd check to see if anyone else had this problem when I saw this thread!!! I have a 99 Maristar and the front roller went rotted out this weekend. I loaded/unloaded 3x before noticing and scratched the crap out of the keel. A friend suggested too much pressure on the roller when loading and unloading. How far do you guys submerge the trailer when loading. Is this a Mastercraft issue?? The local Nautique dealer (no MC in area) said he's never heard of this......
rdw

east tx skier
08-17-2004, 02:29 PM
Rdwilt, I submerge completely and then pull it out until I have about 2" of fender showing above the water. But it depends on the incline of the ramp, so you might need more or less trailer in the water. When you replace the keel roller, I'd go for the non-maring variety.

JR, we went way past the bridge. My brother in law said that the river is way up this year and that he doesn't expect to be able to go as far down next year. I'll keep an eye out for you next time I'm down there.

rdwilt
08-17-2004, 03:34 PM
thanks. I haven't been completely submerging but will be now. I've been unloading with the wheel wells a couple inches under water.
I need to replace carpet in V - shaped bow holder as it is "melted." Probably from not submerging first.....live and learn.

east tx skier
08-17-2004, 04:13 PM
I don't submerge it that much. I'm just talking about the main bunks. My boat is barely touching the v-bunk anyway.

_JR
08-17-2004, 10:55 PM
Cool, there is always good water past the bridge and beyond the first bend past the bridge...yep water is DEFINATELY high this year, so we are enjoying it.

Looks like the Perd is down about 6' from the end of July, but we are still enjoying lots of H2O.

godbeys
05-23-2005, 01:24 PM
Mine rusted from inside out also. How do you get the end caps off? Chisel? Grinder?

H20skeefreek
05-23-2005, 01:28 PM
Mine rusted from inside out also. How do you get the end caps off? Chisel? Grinder?
chew them off.

godbeys
05-23-2005, 01:34 PM
Thanks, I'll try that.

jsonova99
05-23-2005, 01:40 PM
My boat came with this problem (main reason why the boat was fairly cheap) the keep roller was bad and the guy must have kept bringing the boat up on it but hitting the pin through the middle with that part of the boat. Anyway, I have since fixed that and there seems to be no problems in that area, but my repair is kind of ugly. Has anybody tried one of those keel guards? I'm thinking about sanding the repair I did down to the fiberglass again and installing one of these instead to dress it up a little better, any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

H20skeefreek
05-23-2005, 01:52 PM
Thanks, I'll try that.
chisel is probably your best bet. Chewing works, but takes longer.