PDA

View Full Version : 94 Prostar 190, slight refurb thread

Craig
04-10-2009, 09:19 AM
So I figured I could start a thread about this.

We just bought a boat this year, our first. My girlfriend and I are both grad students so money is very tight but skiing is far too important to not blow every penny of savings on.

Anyway, this boat had seen better days aesthetically. It was a boat that the dealer really just wanted to get out of the way because it made the rest of his stock look bad. We decided it was a good deal because the motor (LT-1) was very strong and showed no signs of any major problems. It has a power-slot option, very cool. The vinyl had a good deal of mold/mildew stains but no significant tears or signs of cracking.

It seems like an easy cleaner and we get the boat we want for about $4 less than we had budgeted to spend...

Here she is the day we brought it home in February.

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/new%20trailer/Boat%20Pictures/IMG_1043Medium.jpg

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/new%20trailer/Boat%20Pictures/IMG_1042Medium.jpg

There were some mechanical issues I had to deal with immediately, and we purchased a new PPSG system which I wanted to install. Here is a list of things I had to do, again, nothing major but enough that the dealer apparently didn't want to mess with it.

-New shaft seal, I used a GFO seal material from skidim.com
-Patched a hole in a muffler w/ JB weld
-New impeller (didn't really need to do this, the old one looks ok but did anyway)
-New plugs
-New fuel filter
-New starter (in progress)
-Cleaned all fuel screens
-Re greased steering cable and rudder assembly
-Installed new prop
-Purchased new cover

There were some other little things as well but that is the bulk of it.

So shortly after I began to tackle this list I was given an opportunity by Owen at Boatmate Trailers to get my trailer refurbished for free. They did an awesome job and I cannot say thank you enough to them. Here are a few pictures of what the boat looked like after the new trailer was finished.

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/new%20trailer/Boat%20Pictures/IMG_1062Large.jpg

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/new%20trailer/Boat%20Pictures/IMG_1064Large.jpg

Craig
04-10-2009, 09:32 AM
So after the mechanical issues were dealt with I began to develop a plan for bringing this boat out of the gutter and giving us a boat we can be proud of.

I will preface all of this by saying that I am not trying to take a beat up boat and make it a show queen. We will be using this boat a lot because we love to ski so it will inevitably take some abuse. However, I do want to make her as nice as I can within our budget constraints.

Gelcoat

The first thing I bought was a gel coat restoration kit from www.properboatcare.com. I haven't tackled this project yet but I plan too as soon as I get the interior finished. I am also considering replacing the decals but I'm not sure just yet.

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/new%20trailer/Boat%20Pictures/IMG_1069Medium.jpg

The gelcoat is a bit rough yet...

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/new%20trailer/Boat%20Pictures/before_starboard_close.png

Interior

I should be able to scrub down the interior pretty well I think and get rid of most of the stains. There are no major tears so there are no plans to replace the vinyl. The drivers seat is the worst.

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/new%20trailer/Boat%20Pictures/before_driversseat.png

Craig
04-10-2009, 09:41 AM
I feel like I shouldn't even post these on here but one other project I have been working on was refinishing the teak. I had been doing this along side of the mechanical projects I was working on initially.

I used the Starbrite teak kit that is so highly recommended.

I first gave the platform a good scrubbing with some soap and water, it was not in the best shape. I do not have a picture from before I did anything to it but here is one after the inital cleaning.

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/new%20trailer/Boat%20Pictures/teak_afterclean2.jpg

Then I used the starbrite cleaner and brightener. I did not let the teak dry between these steps so here is the teak clean and wet and then brightened and dryed. I had let the teak dryout for a few days before I put the first coat of oil on it. I also did some light sanding with some 400 grit paper before the oil went on.

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/new%20trailer/Boat%20Pictures/teak_clean_wet2.jpg

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/new%20trailer/Boat%20Pictures/teak_brightened.jpg

Finally, the refinished teak after the first coat of oil. I ended up putting 5 coats of oil on letting it sit in the sun when I could and giving 2-3 days between coats. The first coat sat for about 10 days.

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/new%20trailer/Boat%20Pictures/teak_oiled.jpg

It looks a bit better now after a few coats, so I will try and get a picture of that.

I am a rookie, but I feel pretty good about the teak for now.

chudson
04-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Wow, things are just falling in place for you. Sounds like she'll be a good boat for you. Congratulations!!!

André
04-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Keep up the good work and you,ll have a great looking ski machine very soon.
A 94 hull with LT 1 AND Powerslot is one of the best engine/tranny/skiboat trio of all time.
Got the small set up in my 94,TBI and 1:1,but everybody ski better behind my boat then behind theirs.The wake is very low and soft,you'll love it!!!
Congrats!:)

Craig
04-10-2009, 09:52 AM
So I was trying some different things on the interior the past couple of nights.

The first thing was the manufacturer recommended concoction to clean the vinyl. This was the ammonia, hydrogen peroxide, and water mixture that I found in the interior cleaning guide on this site. I can't find the link currently, but I know it is around here somewhere.

Anyway, I thought it worked pretty well, but it didn't get all the mildew/mold stains up so I wanted to try something tougher. A friend of mine uses this stuff called Betco (aka Spitfire) to get out tough stuff on his Mastercraft so I thought I would give it a shot. It worked out ok, but I thought it only worked marginally better than the ammonia mixture.

here are some before and after pics of the OB seat. In the first I had already cleaned the right seat. In the second both back sections and the seat cushion had been cleaned. You can see there is still some stain on the seats.

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/new%20trailer/Boat%20Pictures/IMG_1117Medium.jpg

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/new%20trailer/Boat%20Pictures/IMG_1120Medium.jpg

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get more of this stain out I am open to them. I still need to do the rest of the interior.

Finally, the dash looked pretty good. Just put some 303 on it and it was good to go. I love seeing the Perfect Pass in there!

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/new%20trailer/Boat%20Pictures/IMG_1119Medium.jpg

SkiDog
04-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Great job pal!

damaged442
04-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Coming along quite nicely! That is a nice boat! Good score on the trailer refurb too!! When you got the gelcoat kit from properboatcare, did the circular polisher come with it or did you buy it separately? I was looking on the site and it seemed to me that all of the polishers were separate?!:confused: Maybe I'm just missing something. Have you tried a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for the vinyl? That worked for me with stubborn mildew stain. Don't forget the 303 Vinyl Protectant afterward.

T Scott
04-10-2009, 10:17 AM
This is a great example of what a little sweat equity will do for you! Keep up the good work.....the boat is looking great!

Craig
04-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Coming along quite nicely! That is a nice boat! Good score on the trailer refurb too!! When you got the gelcoat kit from properboatcare, did the circular polisher come with it or did you buy it separately? I was looking on the site and it seemed to me that all of the polishers were separate?!:confused: Maybe I'm just missing something. Have you tried a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for the vinyl? That worked for me with stubborn mildew stain. Don't forget the 303 Vinyl Protectant afterward.

The polisher did not come with the kit. There was one kit that came with the dual-action polisher (circular/orbital) and but it was a VERY expensive polisher compared with the $70 vector machine.

The kit I bought is here:

http://www.properboatcare.com/gelcopadkitb.html

I then bought the vector polisher, a backing plate, an extra wool pad, and a bottle of the heavy cut polish.

All together it was about $225. Not bad if it works as well as I think it will.

CantRepeat
04-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Outstanding thread, Craig!

Keep up the great work and keep the updates coming. I loves me some old boat!

BrandonKTM
04-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Craig, I bought the exact kit and the Vector polisher also. Just finished up doing my 84 S & S and it came out pretty good. My kit had the heavy cut compound, and then the micro-polish/sealant. I wish it had the middle fine cut compound. You may need an extra wool pad. Mine turned black when I got onto/around the decals. My suggestion is to use one pad all over the boat where there are no decals, then to get around the decals, use another one, because it will likely get color from the decals on it.

BrandonKTM
04-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Hey, if it were mine I think I'd replace those pink reg. numbers with white!

94PS190
04-10-2009, 11:33 AM
I have the same boat - lt-1 and PP. Your will love it. Did you drive it before you bought it? The hull will clean up, you will be suprised. Great job so far, good luck.

94PS190
04-10-2009, 11:36 AM
I took my decals off before I refinished the hull and never put them back on. I think it looks better with out them.:twocents:

2RLAKE
04-10-2009, 12:00 PM
One of the best models around .. friend of mine in Michican has one ... fast and no wake

terrific project .... congrats on a terrific boat!

Craig
04-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Craig, I bought the exact kit and the Vector polisher also. Just finished up doing my 84 S & S and it came out pretty good. My kit had the heavy cut compound, and then the micro-polish/sealant. I wish it had the middle fine cut compound. You may need an extra wool pad. Mine turned black when I got onto/around the decals. My suggestion is to use one pad all over the boat where there are no decals, then to get around the decals, use another one, because it will likely get color from the decals on it.

Good suggestion. I bought the second pad at the recommendation of the folks at Proper Boat Care. I think I may just do the boat everywhere but the decals, then do decals after. Were you able to clean the black off, or did it stain the pad?

I have the three steps (heavy, fine, and polish/sealant), I am planning on using all three.

Craig
04-10-2009, 12:09 PM
I have the same boat - lt-1 and PP. Your will love it. Did you drive it before you bought it? The hull will clean up, you will be suprised. Great job so far, good luck.

Yeah, I spent about an hour on the water with it and another 90 minutes on shore looking it over.

Craig
04-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. It is encouraging and I am excited about the project.

It sure is a nice driving boat, the wake is incredible, and the power with this drivetrain is incredible.

I skied behind a lot of boats both old and new and after driving this one I feel like this combination is one of the best I have driven. The acceleration is nuts, and it can turn on a dime, and it really tracks pretty well (I was expecting worse for as light the boat and flat the hull is). It does seem to have a tendency to chine lock a bit and the rough water performance is pretty awful but those are small nitpicks really. I haven't skied behind it yet but I am sure I will love that too.

Thanks again, I will try and keep this as updated as I can.

BrianM
04-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Those seats look like they turned out pretty darn good. I think a little time out in the sun and you will probably not be able to tell they were ever stained. If you have some tough spots try the West Marine Mold and Mildew remover (same as Starbright for a little less $$), I have had really good results with it.

BrandonKTM
04-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Were you able to clean the black off, or did it stain the pad?

I bought extra pads so in the interest of keep moving I just switched pads. They send a packet of pad cleaner but I have not used it yet. That step is next and then I will post the results.

CantRepeat
04-13-2009, 10:27 AM
One thing you may want to try on the those really dark black marks on your seats, I know some folks are gonna get upset at this one, but the liquid pump type pumas hand cleaner is what I used on my 92 when we first got it. It removed the marks and not the color. Once done I put some 3m marine protestant on it.

edit

I used a warm wet wash cloth to work the cleaner around.

/edit

Craig
04-13-2009, 10:32 AM
One thing you may want to try on the those really dark black marks on your seats, I know some folks are gonna get upset at this one, but the liquid pump type pumas hand cleaner is what I used on my 92 when we first got it. It removed the marks and not the color. Once done I put some 3m marine protestant on it.

That isn't a bad thought.

I am trying to work my way from less harsh to the most harsh and get the seats to a point that I am alright with them. At that point I will likely stick with the ammonia mixture and 303 to maintain them.

My next step was either some Tilex mold/mildew and/or 3M mold and mildew then perhaps some bleach cleaners if that doesn't work. I may try some of the pumice soaps as well if nothing else works. If it were just a bit better I would be ok with it I think, I just don't want to notice it every time I get in the boat. I figure, if I don't notice it, no one else will likely notice it.

Jerseydave
04-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Craig,

THAT'S MY OLD BOAT!!!! This thread brings tears to my eyes........I bought that boat new from Surf and Offshore marine in Pt. Pleasant, NJ back in '94. I kept it perfect for 4 years (garage kept), temporarily lost all my common sense and sold it to a girl ski club member at Port Indian Ski club in Norristown, PA. Never knew what happened to it after that.

How do I know it's mine??? The LT-1 stickers on the side windows were added by me as well as the american racing wheels on the trailer that matched my Bronco back then. Now I have to dig up some old pics to show you.

What dealer did you but it from? Wonder who let it get to that condition, sad. But I'm SO GLAD you're bringing it back to life! ;) The boat is awesome!

If you need any info, let me know. Also where are you located? I'd love to take another set or barefoot run behind her someday. (I'm in NJ, you can PM me you info if you don't want to post it here).

CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW PURCHASE!!!

PS, you should come to the MC northeast reunion with her July 18-19 at Lake George, NY)

Dave

russlars
04-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Great job. I like what you have done so far. Have you tried the magic eraser on the tough seat stains? I cleaned my seats this last weekend and I was amazed at what the magic eraser got off after I had finished with the "mildew remover" Marine Spray 9. There was a whole another layer of dirt on there that the magic eraser took off. Give it a try.

Craig
04-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Craig,

THAT'S MY OLD BOAT!!!! This thread brings tears to my eyes........I bought that boat new from Surf and Offshore marine in Pt. Pleasant, NJ back in '94. I kept it perfect for 4 years (garage kept), temporarily lost all my common sense and sold it to a girl ski club member at Port Indian Ski club in Norristown, PA. Never knew what happened to it after that.

How do I know it's mine??? The LT-1 stickers on the side windows were added by me as well as the american racing wheels on the trailer that matched my Bronco back then. Now I have to dig up some old pics to show you.

What dealer did you but it from? Wonder who let it get to that condition, sad. But I'm SO GLAD you're bringing it back to life! ;) The boat is awesome!

If you need any info, let me know. Also where are you located? I'd love to take another set or barefoot run behind her someday. (I'm in NJ, you can PM me you info if you don't want to post it here).

CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW PURCHASE!!!

PS, you should come to the MC northeast reunion with her July 18-19 at Lake George, NY)

Dave

Wow, what a small world!

I bought the boat from the Liquid Edge in Farmer City, IL (www.theliquidedge.com). The previous owner lived somewhere in IL and I was told that it was kept on a private lake. It had no cover so I can only assume it was not covered.

I also have an old boat title from the owner before that who lived in Indiana.

I am currently in Indiana.

It was a bit sad to see a boat in that kind of shape but it worked out well for us financially.

If you are ever out toward the Midwest I would be glad to get you another set behind your old boat.

I am also glad you like what I am doing to her, I am hopeful that she will be much more attractive when I get finished with her. The engine is a real beauty, runs strong and sounds awesome.

Craig
04-14-2009, 11:09 PM
I think I finally found a series of products that will get rid of all of the mold/mildew stains on my vinyl.

I used a combination of a product called Mold Armor and some magic erasers with a soft bristle brush and it cleaned up my backseat very nicely.

The Mold Armor did a bulk of the work, it is pretty potent stuff so I was VERY careful with it, particularly on the colored sections (it has bleach in it). The instructions say to let it sit for 10 minutes on the surface and just wipe away. Personally, I didn't want it on there any longer than it had to be so I spread it around with the brush, scrubbed, and rinsed off as soon as possible. I then rinsed it again with a second bucket of water, just to be sure.

The Magic Erasers did not do diddly with the mildew stains but were great at removing the random scuffs and scrape marks on the seats. Between the two the backseat looks great, now I am just waiting on some time to jump into the boat and finish the rest of the inside.

Here are some pictures:

BEFORE

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1124Medium.jpg

AFTER

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1125Medium.jpg

Not to worry, I have a bottle of 303 ready and waiting to seal and protect.

Footin
04-14-2009, 11:47 PM
Great thread and great work!

Craig
04-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Got the rest of the vinyl all cleaned up last night. I will post pictures soon. Almost all of the mold/mildew stains came up, the white looks as good as new now. The colored strips do not look that great but maybe I can re-dye them?

Taking her back to the lake today for a second 'functional test', hoping all goes well and I can calibrate Stargazer and take a set!

Next step is fixing some gelcoat damage, then I will break out the buffer!

Jorski
04-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Hey Craig,

Great job on the re-furb!!!

There was a thread a little lower down where h2oski painted a colored vinyl stripe, and it turned out great.

Check out this thread:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=29118

Craig
04-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Took the boat out Friday and finally got to ski behind her. She runs like a top, which is very exciting. Calibrated a few speeds in PP and did some free skiing to start the season out.

The wake is pretty incredible, cannot really get much better I don't think.

Could not be happier right now.

However I am still keeping an eye on my fuel pump; I would not be surprised if I have to replace it before the season is over. My water pump wobbles quite a bit too, so I am keeping an eye on it as well.

It has been rainy and I do not have a decent garage to work in so I haven't really had a chance to do anything to the gelcoat but it is next on my agenda. There is a small chip I want to fix as well as a long patch of damage on the keel up toward the bow where the boat was loaded onto a bad bow roller too many times.

I purchased a couple of spectrum patch kits from here:

http://www.spectrumcolor.com/catalog.htm

I think it should be enough to get the job done, if not, I will just have to get a quart.

Craig
04-22-2009, 10:15 PM
So the inside is all cleaned up, one of my friends said it looked brand new on the inside when we went out on Friday. I didn't take the cover off so no pictures just yet, soon...

I started in on the gelcoat tonight. I didn't have a lot of daylight so just tried the transom.

I am moderately pleased with how it turned out, I am a rookie at this too but I am hoping I get a bit better as I go because I think it can look better. I also think that you just cannot get around the decals well. On my list of things to get is a new set of decals, but that will likely need to wait until fall or early next spring due to budget constraints.

Anyway, here are some pictures:

Before

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1137Medium.jpg

After

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1151Medium.jpg

With Platform, starting to look like a decent boat

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1155Medium.jpg

Craig
04-22-2009, 10:20 PM
So I need some help. I have some stains on my hull, see below. I was hoping that by using the heavy cut polishing compound that I could get the stains off.

However, I got under there and gave it a whirl tonight and the heavy cut compound did not do squat. I mean, I can hardly tell a difference between a before and after, it looked like it was just polishing up the stain.

Anyone have any idea how to get this junk off here?

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1149Medium.jpg

damaged442
04-23-2009, 07:32 AM
Try some Marykate "On & Off" Hull cleaner. That always seems to work well for me. The stuff is extremely acidic, so wear gloves and use it in a well ventilated area. Rinse it off well.

CantRepeat
04-23-2009, 07:34 AM
You can get the decals done for around $150 bucks from Jim. And have you tried some of Starbrites hull cleaner? I'd do that before buffing.

CantRepeat
04-23-2009, 07:35 AM
And that's a 1000 % better on the transom from your starting point! Very nice work.

Muttley
04-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Craig, give it a wipe with this stuff. Then polish.

http://www.jelmar.com/CLRbasic.htm

Your boat is looking great!

flipper
04-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Looks great, nice work. Like muttley said, CLR will probably take care of it for you, then wax it good so any water lines will come off easy in the future.

I wouldn't use the "on off" stuff there. A friend of mine used it once on their boat to find you it will eat the carpet off your trailer. Glad it wasn't mine.:D

prostar205
04-23-2009, 01:07 PM
So I need some help. I have some stains on my hull, see below. I was hoping that by using the heavy cut polishing compound that I could get the stains off.

However, I got under there and gave it a whirl tonight and the heavy cut compound did not do squat. I mean, I can hardly tell a difference between a before and after, it looked like it was just polishing up the stain.

Anyone have any idea how to get this junk off here?

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1149Medium.jpg

All that should definately come off with either the "On & Off Hull Cleaner" or this stuff called FSR (Fiberglass Stain Remover). But, as people have said, this stuff is incredibly toxic. You must wear gloves and eye protection. It will literally look brand new when your done. I clean the hull of my boat every year with this stuff.

Craig
04-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

I tried some toilet bowl cleaner late last night on a spot and that seemed to do the trick as well.

I like the idea of using CLR though, that should be much safer. I will give it a whirl and post some pictures.

Jorski
04-23-2009, 01:44 PM
And have you tried some of Starbrites hull cleaner? I'd do that before buffing.

This stuff works 100% better than any toilet boil cleaner or toilet boil cleaner/peroxide concoctions that get touted.

It's basically muriatic acid...heavy rubber gloves (it stings), and only leave on for short time...hull will look like brand new.

thijs
04-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Very nice job so far. We have a 94 PS 205 in the exact colours. This color scheme is the one that was featured in the 1993 boat buyers guide.

I reconmend this guy for the decals. They are very accurate and very inexpensive. We have purchased some for ours but as our family is so busy we havent applied them yet. He did send and extra transom decal on our order and I put that on the back of my truck's topper- no fading after tonnes of road grime, salt, sun and washing. I believe he warranties his decals too.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Redline-Vinyl-Graphics

Look forward to watching your project!! Keep the updates a comin'!

Jerseydave
04-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Craig......nice work so far! She's looking like she did back in '94.

You can also try "slimey grimey" on those hull stains.....works great.

I swear I'll find some old pics of the boat and post them here soon.

Craig
04-23-2009, 10:57 PM
Here are some pictures of the interior all cleaned up.

Just for reference, here is what a lot of the top surfaces throughout the boat looked like before:

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/before_driversseat.png

And after:

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1158Medium.jpg

And another

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1159Medium.jpg

O2BESOHUGE
04-24-2009, 04:12 PM
What Did You Use To Clean The Vinyl On The Seats?

Thanks!

Craig
04-24-2009, 04:33 PM
I ended up using three things, Betco (which is a degreaser, 50/50 with water), Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, and some strong mold/mildew cleaner from Menards, Mold Armor.

The Betco was really good at getting up dirt and grime from in cracks and crevices and in the texture of the vinyl. The Magic Erasers were awesome at getting up random scuff marks and scrapes that neither of the other products would touch. Finally, to get all that mildew stain up I had to use the Mold Armor. It is heavy with bleach so I tried not to use it on the colors at all, I just put it on and let it sit for a couple of minutes and the stains were gone, then I rinsed really well.

Sodar
04-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Looks great! What a difference!

LYNRDSKYNRD
04-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Great job so far bud!

shepherd
04-24-2009, 08:30 PM
Looking good Craig! Great job. I've been there before and it's a great feeling bringing an old abused boat back to a beautiful shine. Congrats!

Monte
04-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Darn good job Craig!!!

ems
04-28-2009, 11:57 PM
So the inside is all cleaned up, one of my friends said it looked brand new on the inside when we went out on Friday. I didn't take the cover off so no pictures just yet, soon...

I started in on the gelcoat tonight. I didn't have a lot of daylight so just tried the transom.

I am moderately pleased with how it turned out, I am a rookie at this too but I am hoping I get a bit better as I go because I think it can look better. I also think that you just cannot get around the decals well. On my list of things to get is a new set of decals, but that will likely need to wait until fall or early next spring due to budget constraints.

Anyway, here are some pictures:

Before

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1137Medium.jpg

After

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1151Medium.jpg

With Platform, starting to look like a decent boat

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1155Medium.jpg

So what did you use to bring back that gellcoat that well?

BTW I have the exact same boat, since new, right down to the colors. It has been absolutely flawless, and I've done all the work myself. From what I've heard it was one of the more reliable/dependable model years.
Good luck.

Craig
04-29-2009, 08:08 AM
I used the kit described here:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=588836&postcount=2

It took about 1-1.5 hrs, but I had also never done this before.

LYNRDSKYNRD
05-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Craig it looks great, i bought the same kit and plan on starting mine soon. Great job so far.

Craig
05-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Thanks again to everyone for the encouragement.

I have buffed out the starboard side and am not super happy with it. A lot of scuffs didn't come out and now my tore up decal just looks like hell.

So I have decided we need to just get some new decals and I probably either need to wetsand the scuffs or get some tougher rubbing compound.

I have the decals on order from BAWS, both Jim and Chuck were very helpful I should see them pretty soon I think.

Those of you who don't know they (BAWS) have the ability to make you new decals that are copies of the old ones that Mastercraft does not carry any longer. I know a number of TT members have utilized them but it seems like an easy and relatively cheap way to refresh the look of your old MC.

T Scott
05-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Great project Craig! You should be very proud of your work!

pram
05-06-2009, 08:47 PM
I really like the layout of the first picture in this thread

any updates like that one?

preferably in the sun with a bikini on 8p

Craig
05-17-2009, 04:26 PM
I have made some headway recently, but progress has slowed because we have been skiing a lot.

First, all of that scum seems to have come off pretty easily using just toilet bowl cleaner. I used a lot of it and it was a HORRIBLE job because I ended up getting chemical burns down my arms (I even had large gloves on). But it is done and hopefully I will not have to do it that intensely again.

I also went ahead and got the topdeck, starboard, and transom now polished. I followed the directions suggested by Properboatcare.com and it turned out OK I think.

One thing we decided is that we are getting some new decals, they are on order from BAWS currently so am waiting to do the port ad re-do the starboard and transom when those get in.

Next, and my only complaint with the properboatcare system is,the color does not seem to stay as long as I would like. It only takes a few trips to the lake and the faded blue starts to come back. How can I avoid this? I 'sealed' the finish with the properboatcare micro-polish/sealant but it still seem to come back. Anyone have any better luck with other products?

I also still suck at using the circular machine, but am slowly getting better.

Here are some pictures, the reference BEFORE:

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1043Medium.jpg

And this is CURRENT:

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1255.jpg

Part of the topdeck:

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1257.jpg

I think when the new decals get put on it will look significantly better, and if I can get it sealed up a bit better I will be happy with how things look.

Jerseydave
05-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Craig, I'm still searching my pile of old photos for some of the boat when it was new.

For now I took these cellphone pics of the spare tire cover I had airbrushed back in '94 that stills hangs on my garage wall.

Craig
05-19-2009, 09:31 AM
That thing is awesome njskier, thanks for sharing!

Craig
05-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Found out some more history on this boat I thought I would share. I appears to have had quite a life!

The previous owners before me had it for roughly one year and skied with it on a private lake in Illinois. It was apparently in pretty poor shape when they got it and sold it to buy a brand new MC from The Liquid Edge.

Previous to that it was the team boat for the University of Illinois ski team. I am thinking this is where it accumulated so much damage. They look to have had the boat for roughly 2 years and appear to have not taken the best care of it.

Before that it actually belonged to a person who lives in the same town in Indiana where I currently live, small world.

The boat also had stickers from 2002 and 2003 from Lake Mead, NV.

Combine that with the origins in New Jersey and it is almost an unfathomable amount of trading and moving around that this little boat has done.

Craig
06-01-2009, 11:54 AM
I haven't had a chance to do too much to the boat recently. It is difficult when all I really want to do is SKI!

Here are some pictures of our machine on the water, in the meantime.

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1397Large.jpg

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1398Large.jpg

MarcRaiderfan
06-05-2009, 01:25 AM
I need to get some oxidation off of my 89 prostar 190... it is mostly on the back, but there is a little on the back sides. I just took it to an auto detailer and paid $300 for a detail and it looked good for about a week then the oxidation came back through. So now I guess I am going to have to do it myself. I am going to cal the detailer and see if he will make it right first. How did you save the decals? It looks like there is still some oxidation on the sides or is just the camera angle?

BigJon
06-17-2009, 06:54 PM
Wow, nice job Craig.

I just bought a well used 94 prostar 190 too and plan on doing the same cleanup over the summer.

What did you use to clean the rubrails to get them uniform black? Mine are scuffed and have white streaks from something like old wax.

I have an old orbital waxer. Is that the same thing as you were using or does it have more power?

Craig
06-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Wow, nice job Craig.

I just bought a well used 94 prostar 190 too and plan on doing the same cleanup over the summer.

What did you use to clean the rubrails to get them uniform black? Mine are scuffed and have white streaks from something like old wax.

I have an old orbital waxer. Is that the same thing as you were using or does it have more power?

Thanks Jon!

Actually, buffing compound is not recommended on the rubrails. I just used some 400 grit sandpaper with some water. Most of the marks just came right off, it was a 15 min job for the whole boat. I still have a few stubborn spots that I need to get, but this got most of it.

Craig
06-18-2009, 09:25 AM
I need to get some oxidation off of my 89 prostar 190... it is mostly on the back, but there is a little on the back sides. I just took it to an auto detailer and paid $300 for a detail and it looked good for about a week then the oxidation came back through. So now I guess I am going to have to do it myself. I am going to cal the detailer and see if he will make it right first. How did you save the decals? It looks like there is still some oxidation on the sides or is just the camera angle?

Sorry, missed this post until this morning...

I determined that saving the decals just was not going to happen, especially with heavy oxidation. I did the transom and starboard side and after some decent buffing the decals looked even worse than before. If you have some heavy oxidation I would highly recommend getting in touch with Jim@BAWS and getting yourself a new set of decals. You can then strip everything off and really buff/wetsand it out nicely and then put your new decals on.

In that picture there is still some oxidation, I could not get around the decals very well because I was trying to save them. It cemented my decision to just go ahead and get a new decal set so I could refresh the gelcoat properly.

To keep it I think you need to keep it sealed up as much as possible. My first buff jobs started looking chalky after a few weeks too. Put a sealer on when you are done buffing (proper boat care carries a micro-polish/sealer) and even a coat of wax on top of that. The longer you can keep it sealed up the longer it will last, I think. Even though, I expect to do some light buffing every year.

Craig
06-19-2009, 12:20 PM
I finally made some time to finish most of this project. I still have a couple of small things I want to do like fix a few gelcoat chips and replace the engine box insulation but that will not change the appearance beyond what it looks like now too much.

I spent about 22 hours working over the past two days to get this next step completed. First, I wetsanded the port, starboard, and transom. I went 400, then 800 grit and used a lot of soapy water. I was going to go all the way up to 1500 but it did not seem necessary, I just went a little easier with the 800 and the shine was on its way back.

After that I busted out my circular buffer and my properboat care kit and did everything with the heavy cut, fine cut, and finally the micro-polish/sealer.

Here are some naked pictures of the boat before and after all the sanding/polishing:

Stickers Removed, before

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1509Medium.jpg

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1515Medium.jpg

After Polish

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1518Medium.jpg

Shine, not bad for a rookie

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1517Medium.jpg

Craig
06-19-2009, 12:42 PM
The next step was the decals. First I want to give a big thanks to Chuck and Jim and BAWS for their help with the decals. These things were a great match and they look sharp!. Thanks again!

The OEM decals were a one piece two-toned vinyl sticker. The ones I received from BAWS were a two piece sticker set, so one, the shadow, is black and one is white to make the top letters. I will say that these were not the easiest to install but I think they will be nice. One of the drawbacks to the OEM stickers was that as soon as you run the buffer over them the black shadow would rub right off. With these stickers the black shadow is actually black vinyl, so that will not happen.

The way I installed was similar to how others on this board have, but I had my girlfriend help. I will say that making this a two person job is the way to go, so much easier.

With the black stickers the first thing I did was tape it up to the boat and get it all lined up straight. I only taped it up on the top edge so I could just flip it up and peel the backing off. Once I had the backing off I would wet the sticker and the boat with soapy water and then rotate the sticker back down and smooth it with my hand slightly so I could make sure it had not moved. Once it was in the right spot I smoothed it out with a plastic squeegee.

The white ones took a bit of skill. I used a similar procedure but instead of taping it to the boat I had my girlfriend hold the sticker while I peeled the backing off then doused the boat and sticker with soapy water and took the sticker from her. I basically eyeballed where to put it and put it on the boat while she kept dousing with water every once and while. With the water I could sort of shift it around where it needed to be then sqeegeed the water out. It was difficult because it was hard to see where the white aligned with the black until the sticker was pressed firmly against the boat, it took a sharp eye.

However, I was able to get it all finished and they pretty much all turned out great with the exception of one letter. If you can find out which letter, let me know, I am curious how obvious it is.

Stickers just put on:

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1521Medium.jpg

Some after shots:

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1528Medium-1.jpg

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1529Medium.jpg

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1526Medium.jpg

Craig
06-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Here are some more pictures, and some before for reference:

Before I picked the boat up:

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/before_port.png

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/before_starboard.png

After:

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1524Medium.jpg

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1527Medium.jpg

I think she is in beautiful condition now. Thanks again to everyone for all your help through this and thanks again to BAWS for the new decals and properboatcare.com for helping me figure out how to bring the gelcoat back. I could not have done this without this site, thanks again.

McFire
06-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Craig - I also have the '94 Prostar 190 with the same color scheme. Mine needs to go through the same process as you have just completed. Your pictures help motivate me to get it done so maybe mine will look as nice as yours. I have reached out to BAWS and they are ready to hook me up with new decals. I just need to free up a little cash first. Thanks for keeping us posted as to progress.

Jimmauburn
06-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Great looking boat. I have a 1989 Prostar 190 that I have had to bring back to life and I can tell you that your hard work will pay off many times. I did everything you have done last year and I can say that I still have to do a little buff and sand work just to keep the oxidation at a minimum but it is all worth it in the long run....... Congrats on a job well done, and remember, "BOAT" also known as Break Out Another Thousand !!!!!

Craig
05-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Bumping my own thread and adding some pictures of some new project that I finished up recently. Here is a list:

1) Replaced the engine box insulation with some 1" thick, adhesive backed, foil faced insulation from McMaster-Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#sound-control-insulation/=78qwke

This was surprisingly easy to do, yet time consuming, with some patience.

First thing I did was strip the old insulation out as much as I could by hand. Next I had to get the adhesive residue off. I tried a bunch of stuff but ended up using a scraper, acetone, and an orbital sander to get the surface ready. The sander was not useful until most of the adhesive was gone because it would just get gunked up.

After the surface was ready I had to cut the insulation out. I used some cardboard to get some rough templates cut out then used them as guides to cut out the rest. I was really worried because the stuff was hard to cut which made the cuts quite jagged. I found that using some foil duct tape (not to be confused with duck tape) really cleaned up the edges nicely though and hid all of my mistakes.

Here is the box on the floor after I finished the install:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4069/4624163963_cce62b8f69.jpg

Here is the box back on the boat:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4060/4639038408_72a6124889.jpg

2) While I had the engine box off I decided to go ahead and replace the rear-center panel that the engine box bolts too. The old one was that junk aluminum honeycomb panel that was so worn out you could bend it. It made noises like you were walking on a pile of leaves when you stepped on it. I also decided to add an 8" access panel over the shaft stuffing box to limit the number of times I need to remove this assembly in the future.

I did all of this by using some 3/4" hardwood plywood and putting a fiberglass coating on it. I realize the wood was plenty strong enough by itself but adding the mat added a bit of thickness to the board that it needed to be level with the rest of the floor. Here is a picture of the board post-glassing, you can see the old one in the background:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3332/4624769364_70a78d491c.jpg

Here is the new panel installed in the boat:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3345/4638427917_025fc58911.jpg

Craig
05-25-2010, 11:08 AM
The following have nothing to do with appearance but these were projects that were also completed while everything was apart.

3) Fixed some leaks in the muffler once and for all. I fiber glassed over the areas that it was leaking.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4068/4624166419_343213d35e.jpg

4) I also replaced the blower hose that was so brittle that it would break if you looked at it funny. We are now officially coast guard approved again!

thatsmrmastercraft
05-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Good looking work Craig.

pram
05-25-2010, 01:41 PM
That is really nice work. The difference is incredible.

joecarew3
05-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Nice work. Have the same type of projects going on an 89 PS 190. Its fun to see the before and afters. Keep up the good work and ski it hard this year!

mayo93prostar
05-25-2010, 03:27 PM
craig, nice to see, I have to do the same to the box and floor on my 93 prostar. pls post another pic of that access panel without the box blocking part of the view. I want to do similar.

how much of the insulation did you have to buy?

did the insulation make much difference in the engine noise?

TMCNo1
05-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Bumping my own thread and adding some pictures of some new project that I finished up recently. Here is a list:

1) Replaced the engine box insulation with some 1" thick, adhesive backed, foil faced insulation from McMaster-Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#sound-control-insulation/=78qwke

This was surprisingly easy to do, yet time consuming, with some patience.

First thing I did was strip the old insulation out as much as I could by hand. Next I had to get the adhesive residue off. I tried a bunch of stuff but ended up using a scraper, acetone, and an orbital sander to get the surface ready. The sander was not useful until most of the adhesive was gone because it would just get gunked up.

After the surface was ready I had to cut the insulation out. I used some cardboard to get some rough templates cut out then used them as guides to cut out the rest. I was really worried because the stuff was hard to cut which made the cuts quite jagged. I found that using some foil duct tape (not to be confused with duck tape) really cleaned up the edges nicely though and hid all of my mistakes.

Here is the box on the floor after I finished the install:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4069/4624163963_cce62b8f69.jpg

Here is the box back on the boat:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4060/4639038408_72a6124889.jpg

2) While I had the engine box off I decided to go ahead and replace the rear-center panel that the engine box bolts too. The old one was that junk aluminum honeycomb panel that was so worn out you could bend it. It made noises like you were walking on a pile of leaves when you stepped on it. I also decided to add an 8" access panel over the shaft stuffing box to limit the number of times I need to remove this assembly in the future.

I did all of this by using some 3/4" hardwood plywood and putting a fiberglass coating on it. I realize the wood was plenty strong enough by itself but adding the mat added a bit of thickness to the board that it needed to be level with the rest of the floor. Here is a picture of the board post-glassing, you can see the old one in the background:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3332/4624769364_70a78d491c.jpg

Here is the new panel installed in the boat:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3345/4638427917_025fc58911.jpg

Believe me, the access panel is one of the best, simplest thing that you could have done and you will thank yourself for it later.

Craig
05-25-2010, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the compliments!

craig, nice to see, I have to do the same to the box and floor on my 93 prostar. pls post another pic of that access panel without the box blocking part of the view. I want to do similar.

how much of the insulation did you have to buy?

did the insulation make much difference in the engine noise?

I will work on some better pictures of the panel in the near future.

I bought 7 feet of the insulation and I had to be pretty intelligent with how I used it. I think it is the perfect amount because I ended up with almost no usable scraps. So I would buy at least that much, probably 8 ft to be safe.

If the engine noise is reduced, it is slight. I think maybe it is a little, my wife thinks there is no change, and no third-parties have made any comments that it sounds noticeably quieter at this point.

Believe me, the access panel is one of the best, simplest thing that you could have done and you will thank yourself for it later.

It has come in real handy twice in the two weeks since I finished it! Bolting the engine box back on the new panel would have been much more difficult without the panel. Very glad I put in the effort and very glad I got a nice big one.

mrprostar
06-03-2010, 03:36 PM
You mentioned ealry in the thread about the gel being thin along the keel at the bow. What did you to repair this? My 96 205 is down to the black on the keel. I attempted the spray repair job and it did not turn out well at all and all but disappeared after the first time in the water. I couldn't sand it because it just gummed up the paper after one pass. I used the spectrum products, but had little success with the big area.

Craig
06-03-2010, 04:12 PM
You mentioned ealry in the thread about the gel being thin along the keel at the bow. What did you to repair this? My 96 205 is down to the black on the keel. I attempted the spray repair job and it did not turn out well at all and all but disappeared after the first time in the water. I couldn't sand it because it just gummed up the paper after one pass. I used the spectrum products, but had little success with the big area.

I have not gotten to that repair yet. It isn't getting worse and it is hard to see so it is lower priority.

Your comments make me second guess the approach I was going to use. My plan was to first fill in anything big and smooth the keel out using fiberglass resin and sanding it down. Then my plan was to re-gel the area that has been rubbed bare using some spectrum gelcoat.

I hope to get to that particular repair sometime this season, not sure when.

SugarLake
06-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Looks really nice Craig.

Question on wetsanding. Did you just do the colored areas or did you do the whole thing?

Thanks!

ggroller
06-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Wow.

You did a great job. The boat looks great.

Craig
06-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the comments!

Looks really nice Craig.

Question on wetsanding. Did you just do the colored areas or did you do the whole thing?

Thanks!

I did everything from just below the waterline and up.

Campbell
06-04-2010, 11:51 AM
I was looking at your interior pics and they appeared to turn out really nice. If you have any stubborn spots that are still yet to come out or if you think the whites can get brighter then check this link out. http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=34269

Jorski
06-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Hey Craig...any on the water pictures? BTW, the boat turned out great!

Craig
06-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Hey Craig...any on the water pictures? BTW, the boat turned out great!

Ask and ye shall receive...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2328/4514019315_a209385362_b.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1437/4726988405_67e843f868_b.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1246/4727632496_d6bcd3e82b_b.jpg

Jorski
06-23-2010, 02:57 PM
ooooooooh...she looks amazing. Something about seeing a perfect older MC on the water is just right!

Niiiiice:D

Jeffer
07-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Read through your thread, Craig, and thanks for posting all those pics and advice. I'm doing a '96 Prostar, so your input was helpful! I wanted to take a few minutes to say thanks...especially for taking the before and after pictures so often and documenting the process (which you definitely want to keep in a little scrapbook).

Great job - congrats on getting a good deal, adding some hard work and elbow grease, and making a diamond out of it. Sweet ride.

TLR67
07-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Great Work Craig!!

Rockman
07-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Craig,

EXCELLENT JOB!!!:dance:

Craig
07-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Thank you for the compliments everyone. It is nice to have some validation for all the hours of work I have put into the boat the past 18 months or so.

Jeffer,

I am really glad the thread has been helpful for you. That was the whole point of starting it and at times I have wondered if anyone found it useful. If you need me to expand on anything just let me know.

DooSPX
07-23-2010, 01:27 PM
You did a excellent job! Your boat turned out great. You now have one of the best slalom boats of all time. a powerful engine and a great hull.

DeVrieski
08-07-2010, 01:56 AM
Craig, very helpful post. The boat looks amazing! I recently purchased a 2000 Prostar 205 and am going to need to do some work on the gelcoat this winter. There are several spots where the gelcoat is slightly oxidized - especially above the swim platform in the rear. I had the dealer buff it out when I purchased the boat it but am noticing that the fade is coming back now that it has been in the sun for a few weeks. Any suggestions on how to make the shine last? I know you said you struggled with this initially after polishing it, then taking it out in the sun several times, the fade would return. Did you figure out a way to keep the shine lasting longer than several weeks?

Craig
08-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Doo,

Thanks, man. It has been an awesome ride so far.

DeVrieski,

Once you have a really good shine it is important to keep the gelcoat sealed up. I keep a nice coat of wax on the boat and that seems to help a lot. In between waxes I will periodically put some spray wax on it to keep a layer on the boat. I just started that this year and it has seemed to reduce the amount of stain that builds up on the hull as well as keep the oxidation off.

I did all the major hull work earlier last summer and keeping wax on the boat has kept it looking really nice through this whole year with just a few coats of wax and some quick wax every 2-3 outings. It does slowly come back even with this approach and I will probably need to do some light buffing in the offseason to get some spots of chalky off of there. Without the wax I would definitely have to buff the boat lightly every year. I am thinking I won't have to do anything beyond wax for two years at a time now.