PDA

View Full Version : Still working on steering

94PS190
04-09-2009, 09:54 PM
I ordered a new helm thinking it would bolt up to my tilt mechanism, I was wrong. It looks like the helm I need is a teleflex "big T". Can any of you guys confirm this? Where is the best place to get one? It doesn't look like skidim carries them.

nostar 190
04-10-2009, 02:16 AM
1 In my experience if skidim doesn't have an answer,you're hosed.2 why replace the helm?

TMCNo1
04-10-2009, 07:43 AM
Maybe you can find the parts you need here, http://www.easternmarineoutlet.com/teleflex2.html

94PS190
04-10-2009, 11:24 AM
My steering is stiff and a new cable didnt fix it. There is a lot of slop in the helm. I am looking for that one finger steering I have heard about.

Thanks for the try #1, but they don't have the big T helm. I have found a few on other sites, but they are over $200.00. I guess I have to deciede how important one finger steering is.

BrandonKTM
04-10-2009, 11:34 AM
My steering is stiff and a new cable didnt fix it. There is a lot of slop in the helm. I am looking for that one finger steering I have heard about.

You replaced the cable and you still have slop? Any chance the anchor points are loose? 1) just in front of rudder 2) up near steering wheel. If the anchors aren't tight you will get slop.

If you have a bent rudder shaft, that also could tighten the steering, but that usually shows up in a slow leak, and gets your attention that way.

cbryan70
04-10-2009, 11:34 AM
You can still get the BIGT from skidim. http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=10578

You replaced the cable with the adapter?

cbryan70
04-10-2009, 11:35 AM
The big T is pretty bullet proof from what i read when i re-did mine. Without a steering cable in the Big T is the steering loose? I would check out the rudder. When there is no cable hooked up to that can you spin it around easily?

94PS190
04-10-2009, 12:55 PM
With the cable removed, there is alot of slop in the helm. I am guessing the shaft thru the helm shouldn't move much, if at all. I can't believe I missed that helm @ skidim. I just ordered one for a little more money. How easily should the cable slide? Cable is now unhooked , I can move the cable by hand, but not real easy. How much resistance does a new cable have?

Phntmski
08-10-2009, 12:40 PM
So, did you ever get your helm changed? Was it an ordeal? I'm looking at changing mine. Just recieved my Big-T w/tilt last week. Let me know how it went for you.