PDA

View Full Version : Starter Issues, 94 LT-1

Craig
04-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Hi all,

I just bought a 94 prostar 190 this spring, it has an LT-1 motor. I was a fairly beat up boat with about 830 hrs on it. I bought it because we are on a tight budget and the motor runs strong, so I figured I could do some cleaning, fix some little stuff, and get a good deal out of it.

I test drove this boat back in Febuary, ran it for over an hour. Started perfectly at the dealer. I have run it in the driveway with the hose a good dozen times while fixing other small issues.

Now, the problem...

I had noticed that sometimes in the driveway, it would not turn over right away, sometimes I would have to retry the key to get it to start up, but always started fine. Always heard the fuel pump prime and a single click from the starter, but didn't always crank.

Then, when we take the boat out to the lake for the first time, we are sitting on the ramp and she won't start at all (perfect timing, I know). You could hear a single click from the starter and that was it, all other electrical items worked fine. It took someone tapping the starter solenoid to get it to go. After that, ran and started fine the the rest of the afternoon.

Today, was troubleshooting a fuel problem in the driveway and went to start it. Same problems as previously on the ramp. Had a buddy come over, tapped the solenoid again, and it started up. Ran beautifully, seemed to get the fuel problem taken care of too...:banana:...

Later tonight, went to try it again just to see if it was possibly an intermittent issue (I was hoping), had someone tap the solenoid, no joy. I checked the battery connections, they look perfect, no wiggle, no corrosion at all. Checked the cables on the solenoid, they were rigid, light corrosion, nothing that would indicate a connection issue.

The solenoid would get warm after a handful of attempts.

My thought is a bad starter but I wanted to get some inputs. Anything else diagnostically I should try?

Also, can you get a starter/solenoid rebuilt or is it best to buy a new one? The new ones are not outrageous at $200 but if I could get mine rebuilt at $80 it may be worth it.

Any input is helpful, thanks.

Ben
04-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Pretty sure you can get it rebuilt, make sure to have it done by someone who does marine starters. If you tell where you are located, someone on the board may suggest a shop.

Andyg
04-08-2009, 10:35 PM
I had the same problem on my 1997 PS 190 with the LT-1. I would go to launch the boat at the ramp and it wouldn't even turn over. I took it to the my local shop and and it turned over without a problem. The service guy asked me if I tried tapping the starter with a wrench. It ended up that the starter had some corrosion in it. While I waited the few days for the new starter to come in I would tap the starter with a wrench and it started right up. Replacing the starter on my 97 was pretty easy. I think it only took about 15 minutes to pull the old starter and put a new one in. To save a few bucks instead of buying a new starter you can probably bring it in to any reputable starter repair shop and have it rebuilt.

Andyg

Craig
04-09-2009, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the replys.

I am in north-central Indiana, I know of a shop here in town that will rebuild alternators I will call and see if they will do a starter too.

Yup, Andy, sounds like a similar problem. I am going to rip the starter off this morning and take it to have it rebuilt, if nothing else they will be able to tell me it is good.

Craig
04-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Took the starter to a shop here in town and the guy cracked open the back and said the starter was all corroded up.

He tried to clean it up but couldn't, he also isn't able to get parts for this starter anymore so I am getting a new one.

JimN
04-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Took the starter to a shop here in town and the guy cracked open the back and said the starter was all corroded up.

He tried to clean it up but couldn't, he also isn't able to get parts for this starter anymore so I am getting a new one.

That last line is crap. He may not be able to get them from his sources, or may have wanted you to buy a new starter but if you want, google this company. I just called and he has them in stock. If yours is the larger style, it's better to go with the newer, smaller one because it lasts longer and is easier to find in stock. They charge $85 exchanged and it has the same solenoid.

Where are you located? This place is in Butler, on the Western border of Milwaukee/Butler.
MJ Auto Electric LLC
(877) 462-8912‎

If you're anywhere near Syracuse, Indiana, the NAPA store should have them.

Jim@BAWS
04-09-2009, 01:45 PM

You have wasted more time that it is worth. Is the starter a TOP MOUNT or Bottom mount?
A new Bottom mount is $169.95 + shipping Top mount is MORE

Let me know if I can help Ship it out ASAP

Jim@BAWS

Craig
04-09-2009, 02:11 PM
I am in Lafayette, north-central is kind of a stretch.

I felt like it was kind of strange he couldn't get anymore parts. He said he just couldn't find an armature to replace it with. I do trust the shop though, it came highly recommend to me and I have taken an alternator in there for a rebuild before and got honest answers. He did not mention the smaller replacement. He told me upfront if he had to replace everything he would likely be $200 or a bit more for the rebuild so I guess I wasn't that worked up when he said he had to order a new one.

I am getting a new one for $200 and he isn't charging me shipping. It comes in tomorrow.

We have a NAPA store here in town, is this something they normally carry (the motor anyway)? Do I not have to get a marine grade component?

Craig
04-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Jim@BAWS

It is bottom mount. I appreciate your effort, it looks like mine will cost about the same if I include shipping from Tampa. I will keep you in mind in the future for parts, I am sure more stuff will break at some point soon, seems to be a trend.

Thanks again to everyone who has replied.

Craig
04-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Got the new starter yesterday, bolted it up, and fired it up in the driveway. Everything works great now.

Thanks everyone for your input.

TMCNo1
04-11-2009, 11:22 AM
We have a NAPA store here in town, is this something they normally carry (the motor anyway)? Do I not have to get a marine grade component?

I really hope the starter you bought and installed was a marine unit, not a regular off the shelf highway unit????????????:rolleyes:
If it was not a marine unit, the boat could go ((((((((((("BOOM")))))))))))!

Craig
04-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Yes, it is a marine starter.