PDA

View Full Version : Too old to start wakebaording???

kenk
04-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Hello: I just bought a 2007 xstar for wakeboading....my kids are 16 and 19yrs and are really good at it but I haven't tried to wakeboard in 20 yrs. Used to be a good skier, but now at 56yrs, I wonder if it's too late for me (or my body) to learn...What do you think???

coz
04-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Hello: I just bought a 2007 xstar for wakeboading....my kids are 16 and 19yrs and are really good at it but I haven't tried to wakeboard in 20 yrs. Used to be a good skier, but now at 56yrs, I wonder if it's too late for me (or my body) to learn...What do you think???

If you don't try, I'll guess we'll never know :confused: if ya think you're to old then you are ;) have fun driving them kids around :D

Footin
04-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Never too old!

SkiDog
04-08-2009, 08:46 PM
You could always learn to surf or Skyski!

Footin
04-08-2009, 08:49 PM
If Eddie can board, anyone can.........he is really old!

russlars
04-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Did they even have wakeboards 20 years ago? :confused:
Either way. I say give it a go. And if you don't like wakeboarding, dust those old skis off and get out there!:)

SkiDog
04-08-2009, 08:52 PM

Easy there Slick!

coz
04-08-2009, 08:53 PM

Thanks foot, I was gonna ask if if it isn't harder for an OF to get up on a surfboard as opposed to a wakeboard?.........well...........I guess if you step start :confused: but can OF's do that too :D

Ramhouse
04-08-2009, 09:19 PM
I was 50 the first time i got on wakeboads, now at 55 its easy. The most fun i have though is the first time i got on my sons wakeskate. The next day i went and got my own. Best wat to impress your kids is to get an air chair....

kenk
04-08-2009, 09:42 PM
The wakeboard that I used 20yrs ago was made by Obrien. It was shaped just like a mini surfboard. No one could get up! We tried and tried. Still have it, so I asked my sons to see if they could get up....they did, but they said it rode like a POS...junk. Anyway, it would probably look good mounted to a wall for decoration.

Burns-5
04-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Never to old

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-08-2009, 10:06 PM
The wakeboard that I used 20yrs ago was made by Obrien. It was shaped just like a mini surfboard. No one could get up! We tried and tried. Still have it, so I asked my sons to see if they could get up....they did, but they said it rode like a POS...junk. Anyway, it would probably look good mounted to a wall for decoration.

Sounds like the "Shredder".....I still have one around as well. The son of a friend of mine tried it for wakesurfing last summer (we took the bindings off) and it worked alright for that.

To answer your original question grab the end of a rope and hang on......you'll have a good time if you're on your old skis or a wakeboard. Or for something new and different (and a whole ton of fun) give a Sky Ski (Air Chair) a try as someone suggested earlier. Age has nothing to do with getting out and having a good time behind your boat.

Leah
04-08-2009, 10:12 PM
I learned at 29, but took my Dad out and realized he was ready to board when he tried to carve in the tube... He is 63....Granted married a 40 yr old, but still he is in his 60's!!!!!

coz
04-08-2009, 10:25 PM
He is 63....Granted married a 40 yr old, but still he is in his 60's!!!!!

I like dad's style :headbang:

ProStar200
04-09-2009, 12:36 AM
I agree with the guys, go for it, your never to old. Show the kids and their friends you still got it. It's your boat, your gas and your time.

h2oskifreak
04-09-2009, 01:42 AM
I have one of the original H.O. wakeboards. It has 80's colors but I am unsure of the year. It was called a "Skurfer" if I remember right. Didn't have bindings so to speak, it had these funnny little straps that were wrapped in neoprene. Shaped like a small surfboard. Rode it last year for kicks and got right up. It handles like a tank though. Age of the straps showed up on the first wreck when the strap broke. Haven't spent any time trying to fix it. I think it will become garage "art".

Jerseydave
04-09-2009, 03:47 AM
I learned to wakeboard at 40........it's addictive! You don't have to go big, just carve around, slash the wake, etc. Try wakesurfing sometime.......much easier on the body and knees.

SKYSKI, now that's my new addiction. Just got one last year, so my time is split between wakeboarding and foiling. Wake surf when the water is choppy.

CantRepeat
04-09-2009, 05:34 AM
AirChair is pretty awesome! When Bob and Mike split and SkySki came out I figured it would do something for pricing. It did. The prices went up.

2RLAKE
04-09-2009, 07:00 AM
never too old ... you are as old as you feel

TX.X-30 fan
04-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Give it a try, I have very little experience and picked up quickly. And it is killer exercise, I second the wakeskate that thing is really fun.

chudson
04-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Go for it, think about how much fun it'll be for you to learn and your kids helping teach Dad for a change. This is all about "memories" and that would be a great one for them and you!!!

SkiDog
04-09-2009, 09:41 AM
AirChair is pretty awesome! When Bob and Mike split and SkySki came out I figured it would do something for pricing. It did. The prices went up.

Yea, and the ski's improved ten fold! My set up cost me $2400.00, and that was just for the foil and the wings! That don't include the ski and tower!

pkskier
04-09-2009, 11:32 AM
You're only too old if you think you are. I would give it a try and I would alson get those skis out. I have an original wake board, the skurfer, which is now hanging on our bedroom wall at the lake place.

kenk
04-09-2009, 10:06 PM
I guess you all convinced me to give it a try!...I'm not sure if I can use my sons wakeboard or if I need to get one myself....either way I guess I need to increase my jogging mileage and start pumping some iron before I give it a try...I was also thinking about trying wakesurfing, especially if it is easier than wakeboarding. My kids have done that using surfboards but they have been asking to get a board made just for wakesurfing because they perform better (I think). Thanks for the encouragement, I guess I need to stop thinking like an old f_rt and go for it...I do have pretty good health insurance anyway! Either way, the Xstar is such a cool looking and super performing boat, that if it doesn't get my adrenaline going I should probably be out shopping for a coffin! I hope to get addicted to water sports again!

ProStar200
04-09-2009, 10:13 PM
It won't take long to get addicted again. Go for it. Show the kids that you still have it. So what if it takes a couple of tries. It's like riding a bike, you don't do it for a while but you don't forget how to ride. Good luck.

Big Dogg
04-10-2009, 01:23 AM
I pulled my 55 year old dad up last summer on the wakeboard (he hadnt ski/rode in years), he's hooked! Go for it, I realize the body doesnt always heal as well when young but is a few days of pain worth a week of smiles! I think so, just remember you cant take it with your or do it when you die!

vegashomeexpert
04-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Watch the wiplash. You will soon find out what I'm talking about.;)

JohnE
04-10-2009, 10:00 AM
You can't be too old...you can be in too lousy shape. If you are already jogging I think you will be fine. I have 2 friends that are as overweight and out of shape as you will ever see. Both around 40 and they both boarded last year. It's not like it's slalom..........:D JK.

TX.X-30 fan
04-10-2009, 10:32 AM
You can't be too old...you can be in too lousy shape. If you are already jogging I think you will be fine. I have 2 friends that are as overweight and out of shape as you will ever see. Both around 40 and they both boarded last year. It's not like it's slalom..........:D JK.

Correct it is not full of snobs.

3event
04-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Go for it! I would focus first on flexibility (stretching) and a bit of aerobics for stamina. If you've got time for weight training great, but if you're limited start general conditioning first.

The best thing about boat towed sports is that you can have fun at any age! What other sport lets you hang with the kids like that????

bigmac
04-10-2009, 10:44 AM

I'm your age. I second the hydrofoil suggestion.

http://mccollister.info/foilsmall.jpg

TMCNo1
04-10-2009, 10:48 AM
. The best thing about boat towed sports is that you can have fun at any age! What other sport lets you hang with the kids like that????

That's what Toober Tom said right after getting his last big check for the 2008 World Series of Toobing Championship!:rolleyes::D I hear the man is a machine for his age!

flipper
04-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Never too old isn't that right Tricky?

NeilM
04-12-2009, 12:25 AM
I'm 56, also tried unsuccessfully to get up on a Skurfer 20+ years ago, still own a Shredder (it's fun every now and again). I wakeboard, slalom, and wakesurf. This summer I'm dying to try a pair of wake skis. I'm not great at at any, but I have FUN and that's what it's all about. [My mom waterskiied until arthritis got the better of her at 66.].
Some of my "friends" tell me I should grow up and leave the watersports to the kids (I've broken or cracked ribs 3 times falling against the wake), but, like others in this thread have said, you're as old as you feel.

Anyway, go for it. don't expect to be Shaun Murray, but do have fun..

mccobmd
04-12-2009, 12:33 AM
Here is my dad, 68 at the time, got up the second time behind my X1!! It's not original to me but in my world the one having the most fun is the best boarder

SkiDog
04-12-2009, 11:57 AM
I guess you all convinced me to give it a try!...I'm not sure if I can use my sons wakeboard or if I need to get one myself....either way I guess I need to increase my jogging mileage and start pumping some iron before I give it a try...I was also thinking about trying wakesurfing, especially if it is easier than wakeboarding. My kids have done that using surfboards but they have been asking to get a board made just for wakesurfing because they perform better (I think). Thanks for the encouragement, I guess I need to stop thinking like an old f_rt and go for it...I do have pretty good health insurance anyway! Either way, the Xstar is such a cool looking and super performing boat, that if it doesn't get my adrenaline going I should probably be out shopping for a coffin! I hope to get addicted to water sports again!

Remember these words:
We do not cease playing because we grow old, we grow old because we cease playing!

JohnE
04-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Correct it is not full of snobs.

I guess you missed the "JK" in that statement. Real slalom guys would not like me.:D

kenk
04-12-2009, 08:36 PM
skidog...you are right in that I have started to think that I CAN'T do wakeboarding because I was getting older....subconsciously, I told myself that I couldn't do it...and I started to believe it. After seeing and reading about other "older" folks wakeboarding, I am more than ever convinced to give it a shot...this could the beginning of something very exciting and exilerating....Thanks everyone for the advice!!!

Jerseydave
04-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Kenk, you and your kids have to take the time to come up to Jersey on June 13th for NJ Wakefest. It's a great time, check out the site below.

www.njwakefest.com

You can bring your boat up and ride, or just come without it and bum a ride from me! :D
Your kids would have a great time up here for the day.....lots of giveaways, prizes, food, music and who knows, they might even meet a pro rider this year! (in the past we had Bret Eisenhauer, Parks Bonifay and Randall Harris here)

Bottom line...........you get out there and ride with those kids! Have fun!

-Dave

kenk
04-12-2009, 11:38 PM
njskier...sounds great, i think I might take you up on this...looks like fun!!

kenk
05-25-2009, 09:08 PM
Well...at 56+yrs I decided to give wake boarding a try on my 2007 xstarSS. My sons were having so much fun I said..."what the heck"...and gave it a try. After two attempts, I was up! It was much easier than I thought it would be. THIS WAS MORE FUN THAN I CAN REMEMBER HAVING IN YEARS!!!
I lasted for 20 seconds, then I crashed...but it didn't hurt (20MPH) on perfect pass. I tried again and got up for 2 mins then I let go....my problem was that I realized I don't know how to wake board! I didn't know to steer...I just keep going straight. My son has some training DVD's, and I guess I'll have to watch them. I probably would not have tried if not for your (readers') encouragement. Thankx!
P.S. I think the xstar made it much easier to get up (375hp-crusader) than some non-wake boarding boats that are under powered and don't have a tower....

panshovel68
05-25-2009, 09:21 PM
It is always nice to have the right tools! Congrats!

Jerseydave
06-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Well...at 56+yrs I decided to give wake boarding a try on my 2007 xstarSS. My sons were having so much fun I said..."what the heck"...and gave it a try. After two attempts, I was up! It was much easier than I thought it would be. THIS WAS MORE FUN THAN I CAN REMEMBER HAVING IN YEARS!!!
I lasted for 20 seconds, then I crashed...but it didn't hurt (20MPH) on perfect pass. I tried again and got up for 2 mins then I let go....my problem was that I realized I don't know how to wake board! I didn't know to steer...I just keep going straight. My son has some training DVD's, and I guess I'll have to watch them. I probably would not have tried if not for your (readers') encouragement. Thankx!
P.S. I think the xstar made it much easier to get up (375hp-crusader) than some non-wake boarding boats that are under powered and don't have a tower....

Congrats on the attempt! Now jump in your car this saturday with the kids and head up to Bordentown for NJ Wakefest! You guys would have a blast!
www.njwakefest.com

denverd1
06-09-2009, 03:53 PM
KenK, congrats!!!

flipper
06-09-2009, 04:11 PM
I was told that you are not old, until you look like you have Don King in a leg lock:D

SkiDog
06-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Way to go KenK! Now we need pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dmminfla
06-13-2009, 07:48 AM
This was in this morning's palm beach post

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/accent/content/accent/epaper/2009/06/12/a1d_waterski_woman_web_0613.html

kenk
06-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Wow...I feel like a teenager after seeing those photos...It sure looks like age is not the deterrent that some some folks might have you believe when it comes to physical activity in those golden years!!!

Jet
06-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Good show Kenk !

I started at 42 and my wife as well 3 years ago, we are hooked. We learned by ourselves watching DVD's and tried it out. Today, we can switch, go from side to side and jump a little. We are still trying to jump wake to wake, not there yet.

Good luck.

76S&S
06-19-2009, 01:36 PM
Well, I'll turn 46 this Sunday so I can't be too old, right? I've been WB'ing for a couple of years now.

One of my sons is competing in a tournament next weekend and trying to talk me into competing in the Vet class (ouch that hurts to type). I'm thinking about it. I've got two of my W2W 180's down, still working on the other two.