PDA

View Full Version : Starter Problems

g-Dog
04-08-2009, 06:57 PM
My bro-in-law just purchased a 1996 PS 205 with 103 hours for 10K. Boat literally looks like it's a year old. I think my wife and I would have bought it if we didn't already have a 2002 205V, but I'm happy for him...really I am.8p Anyway, when we picked it up the previous owner started it up...in ran great...sounded great...no leaks. It sat for a few weeks before I went over to intall a new stereo system in it. We figured we'd fire it up and check everything out. Battery was completely dead. Charged battery...engine would only crank over 1/4 turn and stop. Just for kicks I checked to see if there was any type of current draw that would have killed the battery in 2 weeks. There was a 4.8 amp draw with nothing turned on. Disconneted battery completely and used one from the truck...engine still wouldn't turn over. Finally found that the 4.8 amp draw was coming from the starter and/or solenoid...but we don't know which one is to blame. I'm guessing there is some type of short in one of the two which is causing the problem. Any suggestions?

Gamble
04-08-2009, 07:24 PM
I'd disconnect one and see if you still have a draw. Might be the solenoid not closing/opening correctly. If you disconnect the starter from the side of the solenoid, see if you still have the draw.

flipper
04-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Is the solenoid built into the starter on those?

JimN
04-08-2009, 07:34 PM
My bro-in-law just purchased a 1996 PS 205 with 103 hours for 10K. Boat literally looks like it's a year old. I think my wife and I would have bought it if we didn't already have a 2002 205V, but I'm happy for him...really I am.8p Anyway, when we picked it up the previous owner started it up...in ran great...sounded great...no leaks. It sat for a few weeks before I went over to intall a new stereo system in it. We figured we'd fire it up and check everything out. Battery was completely dead. Charged battery...engine would only crank over 1/4 turn and stop. Just for kicks I checked to see if there was any type of current draw that would have killed the battery in 2 weeks. There was a 4.8 amp draw with nothing turned on. Disconneted battery completely and used one from the truck...engine still wouldn't turn over. Finally found that the 4.8 amp draw was coming from the starter and/or solenoid...but we don't know which one is to blame. I'm guessing there is some type of short in one of the two which is causing the problem. Any suggestions?

Being used for only 103 hours in 13 years is to blame. It hasn't been used enough and when high current flows through contacts, they get hot, which burns off any moisture that may be in the housing.

That starter is a common part- take it to a rebuilder instead of buying a new one. It'll cost less and they should be able to make it Coast Guard compliant.

g-Dog
04-08-2009, 07:35 PM
It's off to the side of the starter and held on by a couple of bolts.

JimN
04-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Is the solenoid built into the starter on those?

Not built in, bolted on and replaceable. Being idle for so much of the last 13 years, I would just do a rebuild. Why waste a weekend because "The Bendix looked good when it was here"?

flipper
04-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Not built in, bolted on and replaceable. Being idle for so much of the last 13 years, I would just do a rebuild. Why waste a weekend because "The Bendix looked good when it was here"?

agreed:cool:

g-Dog
04-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks guys.

g-Dog
04-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Brother-in-law took it to the dealer to have it checked out. He just heard from them..."It fired right up, runs great, can't see any problems." And...there is no longer the current draw off the solenoid that we found. Huh?:confused:

JimN
04-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Brother-in-law took it to the dealer to have it checked out. He just heard from them..."It fired right up, runs great, can't see any problems." And...there is no longer the current draw off the solenoid that we found. Huh?:confused:

That's because it's not on the water and you don't have to get in before the weather hits.