PDA

View Full Version : S & S Stripe Painted?

BrandonKTM
04-08-2009, 12:18 PM
I need some confirmation from others. My 84 S & S (Grey on Grey) has light grey hull and darker grey stripe with black decals. I bought the full blown kit from properboatcare.com, the circular polisher and all. Buffed her down nicely and the grey stripe is now darker and not so chalky. It looks like the darker grey stripe was painted on top of the Gel Coat (is the Gel coat clear?) rather than being in the Gel coat. The darker grey stripe got darker, but didn't get near as shiny as the light grey main hull color. The light color looks like it is beneath the clear gel coat, and my buffing made the clear gel clearer and shinier. Can someone confirm that the stripe is painted on top of the gel coat? If so, maybe next winter I will just repaint the stripe and new decals. Thanks.

Wacko
04-08-2009, 01:04 PM
It is my understanding that the stripe should be in the gelcoat not painted. Unless of course it has been painted at some later date.

Slinkyredfoot
04-08-2009, 01:09 PM
It is my understanding that the stripe should be in the gelcoat not painted. Unless of course it has been painted at some later date.

This is correct, the stripe is part of the gelcoat and not painted.