PDA

View Full Version : Spring Thaw - lots-o-trani fluid in bilge

X30inCDA
04-07-2009, 11:08 PM
I have an '01 X30 with the LTR 330 that I bought last year. So I'm just going to say it and take my lumps... yes, I failed to adequately drain the water from the transmission in the fall before I garaged the boat for the winter and winter in Spokane, WA saw temps of -10 this year. I certainly remembered that step when I saw a puddle of trani fluid on the garage floor and more dripping from the center bilge drain tonight when I got home from work.

So - my question is, what is the chance the case isn't cracked and it's a seal or some repairable item? Am I buying a new trani or is there a chance there is a cheaper fix?

Maristar210
04-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Chances are your heads and or block are cracked. You need to have your dealer evaluate this..

Really bad example of boat owner responsibility:mad:

BrandonKTM
04-07-2009, 11:59 PM
The first thing to check is the tranny oil cooler, cause they have water in them and if you did not drain, then freeze and crack and you get tranny fluid in the bilge. Your tranny should not have any water in it. If it does, you had problems BEFORE you forgot to drain the cooler.

X30inCDA
04-08-2009, 12:21 AM
RE: Maristar210: Actually, I doubt that. I did winterize the boat, drained the block, fogged the cylinders, put additive in the gas and blew out any remaining water in the exhaust. Then I put it in the garage, put a trebble light in the engine compartment, plugged up the vents and coverd the boat. The one thing I didn't know to do was to blow out the water in the coolant lines that go to the tranny and the tranny itself. It's the first inboard I've owned and I was following the consult of friends who have had them for years - they just left out the tranny part in the winterizing instructions.

So, one part I left out was that last summer there was a lot of milky fluid in the bilge - when I'd clean it out - it came back and I never got a satisfactory answer from the dealer. Another thread on here talks about bad seals causing the tranny leakage and I'm wondering if it could possibly be that it has been leaking for the 6 months it's been sitting?

In any case - I don't understand the configuration of the tranny well enough to guess if this is likely a seal or if residual water in the case could crack it, and if so, that would result in the external leakage I'm seeing? If anyone cares to offer an educated guess - I'd appreciate it.

X30inCDA
04-08-2009, 12:57 AM
Thanks, BrandonKTM. The coolant lines come to a manifold on top of the tranny, but I don't see a cooler.

russlars
04-08-2009, 01:34 AM
I am certainly no expert on this, but I don't think there is any water that circulates through the transmission cooling lines, only transmission fluid on it's way to be cooled by the water circulating through the engine. So if you drained the engine block and all of the hoses you should be okay. My hunch is that your transmission is leaking fluid from one of the seals and it is unrelated to your winterization routine.

TMCNo1
04-08-2009, 07:02 AM
I am certainly no expert on this, but I don't think there is any water that circulates through the transmission cooling lines, only transmission fluid on it's way to be cooled by the water circulating through the engine. So if you drained the engine block and all of the hoses you should be okay. My hunch is that your transmission is leaking fluid from one of the seals and it is unrelated to your winterization routine.

Great explanation!

bigmac
04-08-2009, 08:06 AM
I agree...there is no water circulating through the transmission. It's cooled by a heat exchanger, so it's unlikely that it has anything to do with your block. It is possible that you had water in your transmission oil, for whatever reason, and that may have somehow damaged your front, rear, or both seals, but it sounds like you had leaking seal(s) before you ever put it up for the winter.

94PS190
04-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Maristar 210:

Really bad example of Making a new member feel welcome.

TMCNo1
04-08-2009, 09:28 AM
RE: Maristar210: Actually, I doubt that. I did winterize the boat, drained the block, fogged the cylinders, put additive in the gas and blew out any remaining water in the exhaust. Then I put it in the garage, put a trebble light in the engine compartment, plugged up the vents and coverd the boat. The one thing I didn't know to do was to blow out the water in the coolant lines that go to the tranny and the tranny itself. It's the first inboard I've owned and I was following the consult of friends who have had them for years - they just left out the tranny part in the winterizing instructions.

So, one part I left out was that last summer there was a lot of milky fluid in the bilge - when I'd clean it out - it came back and I never got a satisfactory answer from the dealer. Another thread on here talks about bad seals causing the tranny leakage and I'm wondering if it could possibly be that it has been leaking for the 6 months it's been sitting?

In any case - I don't understand the configuration of the tranny well enough to guess if this is likely a seal or if residual water in the case could crack it, and if so, that would result in the external leakage I'm seeing? If anyone cares to offer an educated guess - I'd appreciate it.

As shown in the following drawing, (as an example only) , yours should be similar, but the transmission, lines, and transmission cooler is full of transmission fluid/oil that should not freeze (unless there is water in it that does) and the only way the transmission lubricant can be milky is from water entering the transmission thru a leaking seal from excess water in the bilge or a leak in the transmission cooler allowing water to enter the oil path thru the transmission cooler.
The dealers should have technicians who are trained by MC to recognize, research, find the problem and do the repair procedure. It's hard to accept the " I never got a satisfactory answer from the dealer", since it's their job and your paying them to do a job.
Rant over.

Hollywood
04-08-2009, 09:37 AM
The first thing to check is the tranny oil cooler, cause they have water in them and if you did not drain, then freeze and crack and you get tranny fluid in the bilge. Your tranny should not have any water in it. If it does, you had problems BEFORE you forgot to drain the cooler.

Get your morning coffee guys, the answer is right here ^^^

JohnE
04-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Maristar 210:

Really bad example of Making a new member feel welcome.

It's part of the initial test. If you can't take it, you really don't want to be here anyway.:D

bigmac
04-08-2009, 10:13 AM
While it is true that water in the transmission is often due to leakage from a broken transmission cooler, there isn't any residual water in it after winterizing -- the transmission cooler is drained when the raw water output hose is disconnected and drained. Not drained separately.

TMCNo1
04-08-2009, 10:17 AM
It's the first inboard I've owned and I was following the consult of friends who have had them for years - they just left out the tranny part in the winterizing instructions.

That may be one of your problems. No offense intended, but,............................:confused:

Do you not have a Owners Manual?
This is presented as an example only, but here, http://www.mastercraft.com/files/manuals/1999_OwnersManual-MariStar.pdf, pages 62 thru 65 is a MC published Winterization/Storage/Dewinterization procedure that is more trustworthy than the "word of mouth" method and should help you understand the procedure better.

BrandonKTM
04-08-2009, 10:39 AM
While it is true that water in the transmission is often due to leakage from a broken transmission cooler, there isn't any residual water in it after winterizing -- the transmission cooler is drained when the raw water output hose is disconnected and drained. Not drained separately.

I don't know about the newer boats but my tranny fluid cooler has a separate plug on the bottom that you remove to drain the water. If you remove the "output" hose only, my output hose is on top, and the cooler will still have water in it. Then you are likely to get the problem that started this thread....

flipper
04-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Couldn't he be getting water in the tranny from the tranny cooler and pumped into the tranny? Just a thought. Like others have said, it sounds like you have a tranny cooler problem, not a tranny problem.

If water did get in the tranny fluid from the cooler, could this have screwed up the seals in the tranny and caused a leak from the tranny? He made it sound like there is milky oil in and coming out of the tranny.

BrandonKTM
04-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Flipper,
It is a little confusing to me too, but I don't think he has started this boat, or even put it in the water, so I don't see how any water could get "pumped" into the tranny. I think some time as a contortionist down in the bilge looking exactly where the leak/tranny fluid is coming from is the next step in this discussion. (I would pull the cooler out and look at it closely as well)

Hollywood
04-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Pull the cooler, hook up some make shift trans hoses, stick it in a bucket of water, blow into one of the hoses and if you have bubbles in the bucket you froze your cooler and found your leak. Clean up the bilge, go run the boat. Keep an eye on the bilge, but I really think it's just a busted cooler.

X30inCDA
04-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks everyone! You have all been a great help. I did go take a closer look last night after I got "russlars" feedback and it all began to make sense - no water circulation around the tranny - just a fluid cooler mounted on the block. Everything I read this morning validates. And I DID pull the water line on the bottom of the cooler when I winterized, so I feel better that at least I didn't forget something. I'll take it in to the dealer and have them check it out from here - I still have a few months left on the warranty I purchased which I'm thankful I didn't void Thanks again!

russlars
04-08-2009, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE=X30inCDA;588020]So, one part I left out was that last summer there was a lot of milky fluid in the bilge - when I'd clean it out - it came back and I never got a satisfactory answer from the dealer. Another thread on here talks about bad seals causing the tranny leakage and I'm wondering if it could possibly be that it has been leaking for the 6 months it's been sitting? QUOTE]

Since the milky fluid was only located in the bilge, my hunch is that the transmission fluid was leaking out and mixing with water in the bilge. X30inCDA is there milky fluid in the transmission also?

BrandonKTM
04-08-2009, 11:30 AM
X30inCDA, Let us know what it is/was when you figure it out.

Maristar210
04-08-2009, 12:13 PM
My bad....

I re read that and don't know what I was thinking last night.

Hope its something simple. Good luck....

flipper
04-08-2009, 12:41 PM
My bad....

I re read that and don't know what I was thinking last night.

Hope its something simple. Good luck....

Drunk post?

bigmac
04-08-2009, 02:08 PM
I don't know about the newer boats but my tranny fluid cooler has a separate plug on the bottom that you remove to drain the water. If you remove the "output" hose only, my output hose is on top, and the cooler will still have water in it. Then you are likely to get the problem that started this thread....

When I was referring to raw water pump output hose, I was referring to the hose between the raw water pump output nipple and the tranny cooler. That's the lower hose on the cooler, and is the one we are all supposed to pull "before every operation" to check for debris trapped in the transmission cooler strainer. My approach to winterizing has always been to pull the hose off the output fitting of the raw water pump itself, which accomplishes the same thing--draining the cooler.

X30inCDA
04-08-2009, 02:21 PM
russlars: I agree with your thoughts of what was happening last summer. There is nothing in the tranny now - at least registering on the stick, and the fluid leaking out is running red so my hope is that the cooler is in tact and its just fluid getting out, not water getting in aswell.

X30inCDA
04-08-2009, 02:23 PM
BrandonKTM: Will do on the status update when I hear something from the dealer.

Hollywood
04-08-2009, 02:51 PM
If it was leaking last year, surely it's still leaking over winter. I'm not sure what prompted this thread...

X30inCDA
04-21-2009, 01:23 AM
X30inCDA, Let us know what it is/was when you figure it out.

The verdict is in... rear tranny seal. Inland NW MC should have me on the water by this weekend. Thanks again to all.

russlars
04-21-2009, 02:00 AM
The verdict is in... rear tranny seal. Inland NW MC should have me on the water by this weekend. Thanks again to all.
Glad to hear that you got it figured out and that you will be back on the water soon. Did they say how much the repair will be? Good luck.

russlars
07-07-2009, 02:37 PM
May have the same issue with my transmission. How much did the repair cost you? For now I am just keeping an eye on the fluid level and adding when necessary. Hoping to put off this repair until the end of the season. Anyone see a problem with this? Seems to be a pretty slow leak.

MariStar-Man
08-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Chances are your heads and or block are cracked. You need to have your dealer evaluate this..

Really bad example of boat owner responsibility:mad:

hahah that's it 210, Kick em when he's down....G1