PDA

View Full Version : X2 Wake surfing setup

MC king
04-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone had any luck with setting up a 08 X2 for wake surfing. What weigh is required and in what areas of the boat to produce a nice surf wake?

I recently tried using ballast sacks 1150lbs rear (2 sacks) and a additional 400lbs on the left hand bow seat. I also had the portside and centre factories full.

This produced a massive wake however it was very flat on the top 1/4 of the wave. Do i need to shift the 400lbs i had in the front to the back section of the boat to give the wake a steeper more vertical wall?

My friends 211 seems to product a reasonalbe surf wake with minimum extra ballast. say 1 400lbs fat sack

Any ideas?

KnoxX2
04-07-2009, 09:31 PM
I only do 1 400 lb sac on the starboard side. It puts a nice wave that I can ride for a long time. I would on fill the back tank on one side and add 1 400 Lb sac on that side. That should produce a nice wave for you.

kev88
04-07-2009, 11:24 PM
We surf our 08 X-2 with stock tanks - no problem.

holms
04-08-2009, 01:38 AM
We surfed w/ stock ballast last year, might try some shot this year for the starbird side.

Prostar19
04-08-2009, 11:07 AM
I fill the factory side I am surfing and the front all the way. Then have a 200# bag under the bow filler cushion up front. Works great

Tomsinamerica
04-08-2009, 11:12 AM
stock and carefully positioned fat friends worked fine. I think my skills need to improve before I splash the cash on extra ballast.

wakeX2wake
04-08-2009, 11:12 AM
like most others here... factory on surf side full and center full... we'll add a 300 or 600 lbs bag on surfer side for fun from time to time... nice surf wake... i know if my big self can surf it anyone can

jrbishop4
04-08-2009, 02:51 PM
factory surf side full, center half full, 800 in the back corner and three people in the boat and I have a great wake. I run about 10.5 mph I think my speedo's are not reading the same for some reason so I think that is the correct speed. Boat is at the dealer getting worked on and the speedo's should be fixed this week so I will know a speed for sure on sat.

Itsme
04-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone had any luck with setting up a 08 X2 for wake surfing. What weigh is required and in what areas of the boat to produce a nice surf wake?

I recently tried using ballast sacks 1150lbs rear (2 sacks) and a additional 400lbs on the left hand bow seat. I also had the portside and centre factories full.

This produced a massive wake however it was very flat on the top 1/4 of the wave. Do i need to shift the 400lbs i had in the front to the back section of the boat to give the wake a steeper more vertical wall?

My friends 211 seems to product a reasonalbe surf wake with minimum extra ballast. say 1 400lbs fat sack

Any ideas?

It took me lots of changing up to get the X2 to surf properly. Basically it sounds like you did the same thing we did initially - overload the boat looking for the big, clean wake.

What we found to work best:
full port ballast
550 extra in rear port (we plumbed into existing stock setup for speed and ease)
550 on top of port side seat (strapped to tower and floor grab rails for safety)
Full front center tank -OR- Full fuel tank (as fuel gets low, add h2o in ballast tank)

What you get - waist high wake that is clean and long

Good luck!!!

MC king
04-09-2009, 07:30 AM
Hey thanks alot for the suggestions, not sure about the wake with the factories filled. Yes you can surf with no rope but the room for error is very small ie it limits tricks etc. Looking to install a X2 fly high ballast kit so that should help the situation?

wakeX2wake
04-09-2009, 10:10 AM
more weight = bigger wake = always good

djhuff
04-09-2009, 10:13 AM
With the fly high kit, you should be great with the side you are surfing and the front full, then people on the side. This is basically how I am set up in my 06. The wake is pretty long too.

avorob
06-23-2013, 11:40 AM
It sounds like you should be able to wake surf w/o the the rope on the factory ballasts. Neither me (195 lb) or my son (140 lb) could do it with no tension on the rope. I experimented with my speed and filling the ballast thanks with not much affect on the wake size. I couldn't tell the difference when both or just port side fills. The wake is foamy and no apparent sweet spot. Where do I start?
Thx

davidstan
06-08-2015, 07:27 AM
Reviving old thread here. I recently went to filling all the stock tanks, 400# sac in port locker and 375 sac laid across back bench seat along with a 150# fat brick. 9.6 mph with center trim tab down 18%.
With this I don't even have to try to stay in the sweet spot because it is so much larger now. We used to load up the port side only where the boat is tilting,listing a lot but still could only manage a small sweet spot. Now we list very little and wave is much taller. Hope this helps someone.

lashburn1
06-08-2015, 12:22 PM
Reviving old thread here. I recently went to filling all the stock tanks, 400# sac in port locker and 375 sac laid across back bench seat along with a 150# fat brick. 9.6 mph with center trim tab down 18%.
With this I don't even have to try to stay in the sweet spot because it is so much larger now. We used to load up the port side only where the boat is tilting,listing a lot but still could only manage a small sweet spot. Now we list very little and wave is much taller. Hope this helps someone.

David,
this thread is a bit old...
there are a few threads on here about build or buying a "Wake Gate/Shaper"

You can just weight your boat evenly now. Put a Gate on the reverse side of the Rider.
Instant Clean and ridable wake , with no Pesky Listing.

Here our X2 (2006) with about the same Ballast you have , but no Listing

ap77
06-08-2015, 12:59 PM
It sounds like you should be able to wake surf w/o the the rope on the factory ballasts. Neither me (195 lb) or my son (140 lb) could do it with no tension on the rope. I experimented with my speed and filling the ballast thanks with not much affect on the wake size. I couldn't tell the difference when both or just port side fills. The wake is foamy and no apparent sweet spot. Where do I start?
Thx

The X2 can produce an excellent port side surf wake, but you need additional ballast. I also recommend an attitude adjustment plate which helps shape and clean up the wave.

Here is what we do:

Stock port tank full
550# fat sack in port locker full
1100# L shaped fat sack on rear and port seats filled to 3/4 (if we have human ballast we do not need it).
Attitude adjustment plate 10%
Speed 10.8

thornappleWB
06-08-2015, 04:24 PM
KGB and starboard are empty?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lashburn1
06-08-2015, 04:54 PM

All my tanks are full. We do not list the boat at all.
Just have a WakeShaper on the Back.

BrooksfamX2
06-08-2015, 07:54 PM
We surf our 08 X-2 with stock tanks - no problem.

X2, but have a 450# bag on surf side and now have a wake shaper.

ap77
06-08-2015, 09:50 PM

Correct, we put no weight in the starboard and KGB. With the attitude adjustment plate we have the ability to adjust the nose so we don't find it necessary to fill the KGB.

Jmcc
06-08-2015, 10:54 PM
All my tanks are full. We do not list the boat at all.
Just have a WakeShaper on the Back.

Did the wake shaper scratch or leave any marks on the back of your x2?

We just purchased a 08x2 a few months ago but are just getting to use it. My crew is all new to surfing but all tried rope less this past weekend and couldn't really seem to get the push we needed. My wife did for a min but us big boys couldn't.
I'm wondering if we need a better board, a wake shaper or maybe just a better surf producing boat.
We had 400 lb fat sack in the port locker. Which sucks for me since I'm goofy.

scottsx2
06-08-2015, 11:15 PM
Did the wake shaper scratch or leave any marks on the back of your x2?

We just purchased a 08x2 a few months ago but are just getting to use it. My crew is all new to surfing but all tried rope less this past weekend and couldn't really seem to get the push we needed. My wife did for a min but us big boys couldn't.
I'm wondering if we need a better board, a wake shaper or maybe just a better surf producing boat.
We had 400 lb fat sack in the port locker. Which sucks for me since I'm goofy.

How much weight in people ballast do you have? What board are you running? What are the weights of the riders using the board? If you are goofy footed and the rest regular you will need to move that bag to the other side of the boat when you surf

Jmcc
06-08-2015, 11:22 PM
How much weight in people ballast do you have? What board are you running? What are the weights of the riders using the board? If you are goofy footed and the rest regular you will need to move that bag to the other side of the boat when you surf

About 500 lbs of people in the boat. I'm 215lbs. My buddy about 200. Wife 120. My buddy's wife was also in the boat but didn't try much, 130lbs.
Was riding a marshmallow thrasher. This was our first weekend surfing and wakeboarding.
We all tried letting go of the rope but would have to grab back on after a few seconds.

lashburn1
06-09-2015, 12:53 AM
About 500 lbs of people in the boat. I'm 215lbs. My buddy about 200. Wife 120. My buddy's wife was also in the boat but didn't try much, 130lbs.
Was riding a marshmallow thrasher. This was our first weekend surfing and wakeboarding.
We all tried letting go of the rope but would have to grab back on after a few seconds.

I believe the "wake shaping" devices might be a good thing for you.
Since you ride goofy and regular you will need a device for each side

It doesn't take a ton of ballast to ride, but the more the better.

I am a strong proponent of a high-quality surfboard. It makes a significant difference in whether you are riding or just barely staying on the wave. It is in fact a more significant then the ballast and wake shaping device.

Wake Faller
06-09-2015, 05:24 AM
If you are serious about surfing, you really should look into Go Surf Assist. I used to never surf Goofy people behind my boat - was just too much trouble. Now it is a push of the button. Makes a much bigger, longer and stronger wake too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KQBn-lGDD0

scottsx2
06-09-2015, 06:20 AM

I'm not that familiar with that board so I can't say weather it's very good or not. I would try a little more weight in the boat. Try putting another 400lb sac in the bow walk way, then keep all your passengers to the back and on the surf side. Wave should be money like that. The X2 should be very surf able with the right board and weighting of the boat

bturner2
06-09-2015, 09:32 AM
I have a 07 X2. We run 9.5 - 9.8 MPH, KGB and surf side stock ballast full. We add a 400lb bag to the surf side and surf with 2 people in the boat all day long. I'm 6'1" 220 lbs. and ride a IS Blue Lake or Phase 5 Model X with no problem behind this set up.

There are several areas I see people struggle with when trying to tune their boat for surfing.....

Speed - I've seen a lot of people going too fast. The closer you get to planning the worse your wake is going to get. My boat seems to produce the best wake at 9.3 - 9.8. At 10 the wake starts falling apart. We've also found that hammering it petty hard on take off will let the surf wake develop quickly. Conversely speaking taking off too slow will delay the build of the surf wake for what seems like an eternity.

Depth - I need 10' of water to develop a good wake. Anything less than 8 and you might as well forget surfing my boat. I seem to do best in anything 15' or more.

Weight - I see a lot of people over sacking their boat. To each his own but I've never needed more than what I've stated above to get a good wake. Add three strategically placed bigger people in the boat and you have an outstanding surf wake. It's more about where you put the weight than how much weight you add past a certain point. I also don't like the idea of getting my boat too far out of trim to the point of it not being responsive or putting undue stress on it. I'm also way too OCD to ever put 500 or 600 lbs. of weight on my seats. That just isn't going to happen.

Jmcc
06-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will look at getting a new board first and see what we can do to tune the wave with what we have. Then maybe look at other options. I don't want to load the boat down with bags on my seats and floor. If it comes to that being necessary I will sell the boat and look at a different one. No sense in paying for an expensive boat to do something that it wont do very well or great.

Jmcc
06-09-2015, 10:10 AM
Any descent board recommendations that wont break the bank?
I'm new to all this, but see soulcraft mentioned alot, are they pretty pricey?
I thought about maybe a phase 5 model but some of them are $700+!

lashburn1
06-09-2015, 10:20 AM
Burner,
Have you tried weighting your boat Evenly?
Here is a 10.5 mph video

https://vimeo.com/108801889

All Hard Tanks Full
450 in both lockers
500 lead spread evenly
150 in bow sac.

No tabs
No listing

lashburn1
06-09-2015, 10:23 AM
Any descent board recommendations that wont break the bank?
I'm new to all this, but see soulcraft mentioned alot, are they pretty pricey?
I thought about maybe a phase 5 model but some of them are $700+!

It's true for a New Board- good ones that make a difference are $600-$800
Hard to accept , when it's not "part" of the Boat.

bturner2
06-09-2015, 05:15 PM
Burner,
Here is a 10.5 mph video

All Hard Tanks Full
450 in both lockers
500 lead spread evenly
150 in bow sac.

No tabs
No listing

I have not but for a good reason..... I don't own that much weight. I will say your wake does look good. What does it look like a slower speeds? I used to run above 10 until I slowed down and saw the wake at 9.5.

lashburn1
06-09-2015, 06:40 PM
I have not but for a good reason..... I don't own that much weight. I will say your wake does look good. What does it look like a slower speeds? I used to run above 10 until I slowed down and saw the wake at 9.5.

Below 10 it gets taller, the writing area is shorter.
If I had a center tab, I could slow down and still have the same pocket

But I like the higher speed, as the board floats and reacts across the water much better

1988 Prostar
06-09-2015, 06:45 PM
do we get a tt discount on the shaper?

lashburn1
06-09-2015, 07:29 PM

Wrong thread but Scott is on one in the Ballast section.
Try asking him there.

1988 Prostar
06-09-2015, 07:43 PM
Wrong thread but Scott is on one in the Ballast section.
Try asking him there.

Well you said in an earlier post in this thread you use the shaper and that's why I asked but I'll hit him up.

lashburn1
06-09-2015, 10:33 PM
Well you said in an earlier post in this thread you use the shaper and that's why I asked but I'll hit him up.

LOL- I have poorest use of verbiage ....
That was not meant to Read "Wrong Thread".
Sorry about that.

bturner2
06-09-2015, 11:03 PM
I've asked in that thread and got no response.

lashburn1
06-10-2015, 12:00 AM
I've asked in that thread and got no response.

Are asking about WakeShaper stuff or Just Surf Set up?

bturner2
06-10-2015, 01:42 PM
Wake Shaper.

lashburn1
06-10-2015, 07:26 PM
Wake Shaper.

Wake Shaper Scott can be contacted directly off his web site.

http://wake-shaper.com

Criswhit
06-13-2015, 09:25 AM
Has anyone tried wake shaper with a bit of ballast? We surf factory tank, 450 on top of it, 350 under seat, 2 400s on seat...... KGB full...... This creates an awesome wake, but is a lot of time even though all sacs under seat and locker are plumbed in..... Thinking about investing in wake shaper but not sure if this will lengthen my wake and shorten fill/empty time by eliminating a sac or two........thoughts

lashburn1
06-13-2015, 11:04 AM
Has anyone tried wake shaper with a bit of ballast? We surf factory tank, 450 on top of it, 350 under seat, 2 400s on seat...... KGB full...... This creates an awesome wake, but is a lot of time even though all sacs under seat and locker are plumbed in..... Thinking about investing in wake shaper but not sure if this will lengthen my wake and shorten fill/empty time by eliminating a sac or two........thoughts

I use wake shaper on my X-2
Full Hard tanks
450 in rear lockers full
Bow sac with approx 150-200 lbs
500 lbs leads even towards the rear.
All ever weight
Works perfectt

ssnaples
06-13-2015, 12:39 PM
I use wake shaper on my X-2
Full Hard tanks
450 in rear lockers full
Bow sac with approx 150-200 lbs
500 lbs leads even towards the rear.
All ever weight
Works perfectt

Pretty much same setup we run on our X2 (with Wake-Shaper). We have also surfed with just the factory tanks full and only a couple people in the boat. Really trying to figure out if the extra ballast is indeed necessary. I need some unbiased riders though. Anyone up for joining me at the lake next weekend for a free tow?

lashburn1
06-13-2015, 10:33 PM
Pretty much same setup we run on our X2 (with Wake-Shaper). We have also surfed with just the factory tanks full and only a couple people in the boat. Really trying to figure out if the extra ballast is indeed necessary. I need some unbiased riders though. Anyone up for joining me at the lake next weekend for a free tow?

HOLLA!!!

ssnaples
06-14-2015, 02:20 AM

I would love to offer a discount for TT members, but in all honesty, I was tempted about raising the price after the introductory price, but i have decided to keep it low. As I stated when I first launched this idea almost a year ago, I am not looking to gouge people on pricing. I have really looked at all the possible ways at reducing production costs without sacrificing quality. Ask anyone who has purchased a wake-shaper and I am sure they will agree, the price is fully justified and worth it. Wake-Shaper " Platform Edition " is even better. It will truly make your surfing experience more enjoyable!

Larry, you guys heading out to the lake for father's day? You will love the new setup.

Thrall
06-16-2015, 01:00 AM
Burner,
Here is a 10.5 mph video

All Hard Tanks Full
450 in both lockers
500 lead spread evenly
150 in bow sac.

No tabs
No listing
Interesting. Going to have to try this. Needs another bag for up front.
Currently the best setup I've found for my 06, no tabs or wake shapers, is front and port tanks full. 400lb port rear locker, 400 lbs port rear seat or on the floor in that corner, 500 lbs of human ballast port seats.
I tried similar setup with one of the sacs port front seat and it was alright but not as much push as all the weight towards the back. Shoots down the theory of lengthening the wave by sinking the whole side.
Plus it's waaaay easier to dive without the xxtra weight up front. Doesn't try to scoop up the lake coming off throttle and turns better.

lashburn1
06-16-2015, 11:38 AM
Interesting. Going to have to try this. Needs another bag for up front.
Currently the best setup I've found for my 06, no tabs or wake shapers, is front and port tanks full. 400lb port rear locker, 400 lbs port rear seat or on the floor in that corner, 500 lbs of human ballast port seats.
I tried similar setup with one of the sacs port front seat and it was alright but not as much push as all the weight towards the back. Shoots down the theory of lengthening the wave by sinking the whole side.
Plus it's waaaay easier to dive without the xxtra weight up front. Doesn't try to scoop up the lake coming off throttle and turns better.

Yah- I think you would like a wakeShape device.
Listing an X2 and Bow wieght (water scoop) was a pain.
You can use all your Ballast and ride evenly down the Lake

dt37803
12-04-2015, 12:36 PM
When I got my X2 back from the factory last week I found the Software updated to a newer version. Surf profiles now give me surf mellow and steep. Looks like all the tab settings have changed. I guess I will have to wait till spring to try them. :D

bcd
12-04-2015, 04:03 PM
I'm guessing you're autolaunch will note activate your surf tabs as well. I might need to haul my boat up to the dealer for the update.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

bcd
12-04-2015, 04:03 PM
*now, not note, Swype got me

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

TimX9
12-05-2015, 12:34 PM
Do not make the rear of the boat to heavy, the x2 is a bit light in the front from factory.
When the rpm is to high, you know the front is to light.
Make sure that the rpm is +/- 3000 -3300 Rpm