PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations of Best Ski Lakes in Each State

skilew
04-06-2009, 11:46 PM
Looking for the best ski lakes in each state. Particularly the hard states like North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, New Jersey, etc.

This is in reference to an early thread that I started about the Ski Across America for Cancer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lew

KnoxX2
04-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Norris Lake Tn.

Shasta Lake Ca.

skilew
04-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the info.

Lew

bbymgr
04-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Patoka Lake in Indiana has some great sections to ski on.

TX.X-30 fan
04-07-2009, 10:00 AM
All Texas lakes are polluted and full of stumps. Most are infested with leaches too. No not democrats the other blood suckers. :D

skilew
04-07-2009, 01:21 PM
All Texas lakes are polluted and full of stumps. Most are infested with leaches too. No not democrats the other blood suckers. :D

Hate to have to skip such a big state.

wakeX2wake
04-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Lewis Smith Lake, Al (it's a big lake... i can direct you to where the spots are...)

Tenn-Tombigbee Water Way, Ms (more wakeboarding here than anything but you could shred it on a ski too... a lot of weekend warriors up there would freak out if they saw someone laying down a series of good carves on a slalom)

Lake Lanier, Ga (I hear)

uncleboo
04-07-2009, 01:30 PM
In TN, Center Hill and Tims Ford are excellent ski lakes.

rodltg2
04-07-2009, 01:34 PM
my vote is for Sunset Ranch in Galt CA. Its a beautiful "ski lake" with a vineyard surrounding the lake.

wakeX2wake
04-07-2009, 01:39 PM
my vote is for Sunset Ranch in Galt CA. Its a beautiful "ski lake" with a vineyard surrounding the lake.

wow.........

rodltg2
04-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Looking for the best ski lakes in each state. Particularly the hard states like North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, New Jersey, etc.

This is in reference to an early thread that I started about the Ski Across America for Cancer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lew

If you are looking for some private ski lakes in CA, let me know. I have some friends that own them here in Nor Cal that may be interested in your project. No need to tow a boat .

h2oski
04-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Check out this months issue of wakeboard magazine for Bull Shoals lake in Arkansas, Shawn murray and friends spend a week there! I also highly recomend Greers Ferry Lake in Arkansas. Just contact me for the smooth as glass water..... Its a secret

east tx skier
04-07-2009, 03:41 PM

This is what I came on here to warn people of. Glad you took care of it. Where's Ric? He usually looks out for the well being of others on this topic.

kjohnson
04-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Trophy Lakes in Charleston, SC. Several slalom world records were set there.

TX.X-30 fan
04-07-2009, 03:48 PM
This is what I came on here to warn people of. Glad you took care of it. Where's Ric? He usually looks out for the well being of others on this topic.

Where is Ric he knows more of the sad condition of texas water than I do.

Ric is selfless on such matters.

Burns-5
04-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Smith Mountain Lake in Va. Great Lake.

xstarplease
04-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Check out this months issue of wakeboard magazine for Bull Shoals lake in Arkansas, Shawn murray and friends spend a week there! I also highly recomend Greers Ferry Lake in Arkansas. Just contact me for the smooth as glass water..... Its a secret

Just wondering where you call home h2oski. I grew up on Lake Norfork, but I have spent a lot of time on Bull Shoals as well. I'm going to make my first trip to Greers Ferry this summer. I may have to get you to show me those glass waters. The S&S doesn't like rough lakes.

skilew
04-08-2009, 09:48 AM
If you are looking for some private ski lakes in CA, let me know. I have some friends that own them here in Nor Cal that may be interested in your project. No need to tow a boat .

Great I will probably take you up on that.

Thanks,

skilew

skilew
04-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Trophy Lakes in Charleston, SC. Several slalom world records were set there.

Your right I know about that lake in Charleston but I am at the other end of the state in Clemson, SC. We usually ski on Lake Hartwell or Lake Keowee.

Thanks,

Skilew

JohnE
04-08-2009, 09:59 AM
I posted in your other thread, I'll offer what I can if you come to New England.

JLeuck64
04-08-2009, 10:10 AM
There are many reservoirs located along the Intersate 5 freeway in Oregon. From the southern end to about the middle of the state most are withing a few minutes of drive time. In the Eugene/Springfield area I have skied them all and can recommend them all during the summer months. Some are more exposed to wind during the afternoon.

In the Portland area the Willamette river is the most accessible body of water for skiing.

Feel free to contact me if you need any help with a pull out in my neck of the woods.
Good luck!

ccowell
04-08-2009, 11:08 AM
NY has a bunch....

1000 islands is the best. Thousands of little bays and party spots. At the end of august, water temps are like bath water, but make sure you get to it for those two weeks otherwise you southern boys will need your wet suits

Adirondacks has a bunch, better suited on a kayak though in my option

And any of the Finger Lakes, especially the north end of Owasco, my favorite. If you go out in Skaneateles, either the bars or the lake you might see one of the Baldwin brothers.

WishIWasSkiing
04-08-2009, 11:21 AM
NY has a bunch....

1000 islands is the best. Thousands of little bays and party spots. At the end of august, water temps are like bath water, but make sure you get to it for those two weeks otherwise you southern boys will need your wet suits

Adirondacks has a bunch, better suited on a kayak though in my option

And any of the Finger Lakes, especially the north end of Owasco, my favorite. If you go out in Skaneateles, either the bars or the lake you might see one of the Baldwin brothers.

Sodus Bay off of Lake Ontario has a fantastic cove on the east side of Leroy Island that is glassy calm every day at dinner time. It's a couple hours drive by sea to the mouth of the St. Lawrence, I'd recommend it if you can find someone to drive the trailer for you. I agree, the 1000 Islands is like heaven on earth, extremely clear water - you can flip a coin in 10 feet & tell if it landed heads or tails. There are more than a few unmarked shoals though, but the sights & experience is more than worth it.

Jesus_Freak
04-08-2009, 01:48 PM
In TN, Center Hill and Tims Ford are excellent ski lakes.

In TN, there are also private lakes, such as Rambo's and Pryor. Someone at INT or USAWS would probably have contact info.

jclose8
04-08-2009, 03:40 PM
When you get to Michigan, pick a road and drive down it for about 15 minutes.... Chances are you will run into a nice lake.

langedp
04-08-2009, 04:18 PM
When you get to Michigan, pick a road and drive down it for about 15 minutes.... Chances are you will run into a nice lake.

Man, I'll second that. I live in PA now but I spent most of my life in Michigan. With over 10,000 to choose from, I don't know how to narrow it down to just one or two...:)

X-5 Driver
04-08-2009, 04:31 PM
There are many reservoirs located along the Intersate 5 freeway in Oregon. From the southern end to about the middle of the state most are withing a few minutes of drive time. In the Eugene/Springfield area I have skied them all and can recommend them all during the summer months. Some are more exposed to wind during the afternoon.

In the Portland area the Willamette river is the most accessible body of water for skiing.

Feel free to contact me if you need any help with a pull out in my neck of the woods.
Good luck!

My favorite Oregon body of water is Lake Owyhee in the extreme SE corner of Oregon, just across the Idaho border. I bet you have never heard of it (and it's my little secret, so don't say anything).

skilew
04-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Anybody got any suggestions for North and South Dakota and New Jersey?

Thanks,

skilew

Jerseydave
04-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Anybody got any suggestions for North and South Dakota and New Jersey?

Thanks,

skilew

In New Jersey, in the northern end of the state is Lake Hopatcong and Greenwood Lake. Greenwood actually is 1/2 in NJ and 1/2 in NY, so you could kill 2 birds with one lake there. :D MC dealer Flash marina is on Hopatcong.
You could also ride at our spot on the Delaware river, if a river is okay instead of a lake. It seperates PA and NJ, so you could cover those 2 states together. If you need a pull or launching help in NJ, let me know.

-NY also has lake George, beautiful!
-Maryland has the upper Chesapeake Bay, launch at a town called Northeast MD. On the western end of the state is Deep Creek lake.
-Delaware is a tough one, not many lakes there. Middletown Delaware has a private ski lake, but I don't know who you could talk to about it. You could always hit some salt water near Rehobeth Beach.
-PA, Raystown Lake or Lake Wallenpaupack are both nice.
-Virginia, Smith Mountain lake or Lake Anna are great!
-NH, Lake Winnipesaukee get my vote but there are many others around there too.

PM me when the time comes if you need help in the NJ, PA, NY, MD areas!

SunCoast 83
04-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Orlando FL Area
The Butler Chain in Windemere
The Winter Park Chain (Winter Park/Maitland,FL)
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=45982&stc=1&d=1239232418

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=45981&stc=1&d=1239232426

SunCoast 83
04-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Lake Placid, FL

Lake June
Lake Clay
"The" Lake Placid
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=45983&stc=1&d=1239233336
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=45984&stc=1&d=1239233336
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=45985&stc=1&d=1239233336

skilew
04-08-2009, 08:56 PM
In New Jersey, in the northern end of the state is Lake Hopatcong and Greenwood Lake. Greenwood actually is 1/2 in NJ and 1/2 in NY, so you could kill 2 birds with one lake there. :D MC dealer Flash marina is on Hopatcong.
You could also ride at our spot on the Delaware river, if a river is okay instead of a lake. It seperates PA and NJ, so you could cover those 2 states together. If you need a pull or launching help in NJ, let me know.

-NY also has lake George, beautiful!
-Maryland has the upper Chesapeake Bay, launch at a town called Northeast MD. On the western end of the state is Deep Creek lake.
-Delaware is a tough one, not many lakes there. Middletown Delaware has a private ski lake, but I don't know who you could talk to about it. You could always hit some salt water near Rehobeth Beach.
-PA, Raystown Lake or Lake Wallenpaupack are both nice.
-Virginia, Smith Mountain lake or Lake Anna are great!
-NH, Lake Winnipesaukee get my vote but there are many others around there too.

PM me when the time comes if you need help in the NJ, PA, NY, MD areas!

Thanks that covers a lot of area.

skilew

skilew
04-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Still looking for North and South Dakota ski sites.

Any suggestions.

skilew

Jerseydave
04-09-2009, 05:11 PM
If you get no reply on here, check www.wakeworld.com

Just use the word "ride" instead of "ski" :D Most of those people don't know how to ski ;)

dcjm6602
04-09-2009, 06:28 PM
PM at you. There are a few around Sioux Falls. Lake Madison in SD okabena in MN and Okoboji in Ia, just for a few. They are all busy after 11am and if it is windy they suck, and it is always windy.

Bongo
04-10-2009, 12:16 AM
Best bets in the Dakotas are probably the dams along the Missouri River. Lake Sakakwea behind the Garrison dam in ND, Lake Oahe behind Oahe dam in SD. There are some smaller lakes scattered throughout each state, but none really a meca for water skiing.

(Ok, the best bet is really to drive to Minnesota, but if you need to stay within state boundaries.)

loeweb
04-10-2009, 12:46 AM
I have a relative that lives on a tournament lake North of Des Moines. I have only skied it once and it is a nice set up. If you're interested, let me know and I'm sure you could get some good water and at least a pull through the course a couple of times.

jenglin
04-10-2009, 05:36 PM
If traveling through Iowa the best ski lakes are Eagle Lake outside Waterloo, IA and Dream Lake located in Huxley (half way b/w Des Moines and Ames, off US I-35). Unfortunately they are both private lakes.

skilew
04-13-2009, 01:28 PM
Ok, here are a few more states that I need some help with locating ski sites.

Mississippi
Oklahoma
New Mexico
Utah
Arizona

Thanks,
skilew

rodltg2
04-13-2009, 01:35 PM
i'm not sure what your specifically seeking , whether its public lakes, private ski lakes or both. if your looking for private ski lakes go to http://www.usawaterski.org/clubs/clubdirectory.asp.
most clubs/ski lakes are listed there. although they are private, some may be willing to particapate in your project.

ttu
04-13-2009, 01:39 PM
here is coyote lake, north of tulsa.

beware of the lake on the right! it's called suicide lake:rolleyes:

skilew
04-13-2009, 09:06 PM
i'm not sure what your specifically seeking , whether its public lakes, private ski lakes or both. if your looking for private ski lakes go to http://www.usawaterski.org/clubs/clubdirectory.asp.
most clubs/ski lakes are listed there. although they are private, some may be willing to particapate in your project.

I am primarily looking at public lakes or any lake that I can easily get permission to use.

skilew

LivinTheDream
04-15-2009, 11:22 AM
Check out Lake Metigoshe in ND near Bottineau for some decent water.

coz
04-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Ok, here are a few more states that I need some help with locating ski sites.

Arizona

Thanks,
skilew

You can find good times in the Phoenix valley.

http://www.saguarolakemarina.com/

http://www.canyonlakemarina.com/

http://www.apachelake.com/

http://www.rlmaz.com/rlmaz.html

http://www.azmarinas.com/PleasantHarbor/

http://www.bartlettlake.com/index.php

Outside Phoenix:

http://www.pr.state.az.us/Parks/ALLA/index.html

http://parkerareatourism.com/

http://www.lakehavasumarina.com/

Best of luck and have fun :D

5280Hawk
04-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Just Curious - What do you have for Colorado?

A suggestion for New Mexico - Navajo Lake, it crosses the CO/NM border. They call it baby Lake Powell

zberger
04-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Nebraska might be tough..

Skeeler might have a connection at the lake he boats/lives at..

I got nothing!

5280Hawk
04-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Big Mac in Nebraska -

AKA Lake McConaughey

5280Hawk
04-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Utah is Very Easy

Lake Powell is one of the most Beautiful lakes you will find in the Entire U.S.

TX.X-30 fan
04-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Big Mac in Nebraska -

AKA Lake McConaughey

I thought Bigmac was from Minnesota??

The land of 10,000 taxes. :D

skilew
04-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Just Curious - What do you have for Colorado?

A suggestion for New Mexico - Navajo Lake, it crosses the CO/NM border. They call it baby Lake Powell

Don't have anything yet for Colorado.

Thanks,

Skilew

5280Hawk
04-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Dillon Reservoir is a really beautiful lake in Colorado., Its right in Summit county, and surrounded by the mountains, you can ski there, but the Lakes Elev. is about 8900 feet!
I think its pretty Choppy most of the time, and Bring a Wet suit.

Blue Mesa Reservoir mugh be the best for Skiing.
Or Pueblo Reservoir

The reservoirs around Denver, are always too crowded.

TT197
04-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Laku Lake in Winsor Colorado Home of the 2009 USA Waterski Western Regionalshttp://www.laku.com

FYI you can not ski in Lake Dillon The water is Denver's drinking water you can ski at Green Mtn. Res. about 20 miles north of Dillon on HYW 9

5280Hawk
04-16-2009, 04:01 PM
Oh, oops.

I thought they allowed skiing.

TT197
04-16-2009, 04:06 PM
I grow up in Frisco on the lake no skiing on Dillon. You can sailboat boat,and fish in it but there is body contact allowed
Now that doesn't mean we didn't ski on the lake:):D

Ole Miss Rebels
04-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Mississippi- Eagle Lake in west-central part of the state 30 miles nw of vicksburg on I-20. 4700 acre old mississippi river oxbow lake. horseshoe shaped so there is always a protected bank with the exception of a north-west wind. was voted the iconic spot in wakeboarding mag last year in their "50 states of wakeboarding" issue. (or was that two years ago?)

shepherd
04-16-2009, 05:10 PM
I grow up in Frisco on the lake no skiing on Dillon. You can sailboat boat,and fish in it but there is body contact allowed

Can you pee in it? I bet people do.
What a dumb law. :noface:
The lake we ski on is used for the drinking water supply in our county. I always assumed they purified the water before it is piped to our homes... :cool:

TX.X-30 fan
04-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Can you pee in it? I bet people do.
What a dumb law. :noface:
The lake we ski on is used for the drinking water supply in our county. I always assumed they purified the water before it is piped to our homes... :cool:

You make way too much common sence. ;)

skilew
04-16-2009, 11:39 PM
Ok let's see what we have for these states:

Rhode Island
Maine
Delaware
Massachusetts
West Virginia
Wyoming

Thanks,
Skilew

Ski-me
04-17-2009, 12:15 AM

With so many TT boats, where do you ski now? I try and hit Pueblo on the weekdays but the weekends are pretty crazy. I'd love to find something better......

I have heard Blue Mesa is really nice...just a little cold. But not crowded :cool:

JohnE
04-17-2009, 09:38 AM
Ok let's see what we have for these states:

Rhode Island
Maine
Delaware
Massachusetts
West Virginia
Wyoming

Thanks,
Skilew

Wallum Lake is partly in MA, partly in RI if it helps serve your purpose. It is a nice public lake. Nice launching facility. But like any public lake, you don't want to be there most weekends.

I ski at a small lake in MA called Lake Maspenock. It is about 2 miles from my house. There is no public ramp other than residents only. But the lake is public and there is a ramp at my father's property. I'd be glad to give you a pull at either of these lakes. And possibly in NH if you are interested.

Mitch from the forum is on a lake in Maine and I'm sure he'd offer a pull there.

coz
04-17-2009, 09:49 AM

Pyramid and a couple other socal lakes are like that and you can ski/wakeboard but not swim :confused:

trickskier
04-17-2009, 09:54 AM
I recommend this cozy little spot for all tourist's to Florida............:rolleyes:

beef
04-17-2009, 09:54 AM
PM me w/your email address. I can put you in touch with a guy from Silver Lake in DE.

JohnE
04-17-2009, 10:06 AM
I recommend this cozy little spot for all tourist's to Florida............:rolleyes:

Still can't belileve you guys ski with those guys.:o

shepherd
04-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Still can't belileve you guys ski with those guys.:o

Our ducks ain't too friendly either!

skilew
04-17-2009, 11:51 PM
Wallum Lake is partly in MA, partly in RI if it helps serve your purpose. It is a nice public lake. Nice launching facility. But like any public lake, you don't want to be there most weekends.

I ski at a small lake in MA called Lake Maspenock. It is about 2 miles from my house. There is no public ramp other than residents only. But the lake is public and there is a ramp at my father's property. I'd be glad to give you a pull at either of these lakes. And possibly in NH if you are interested.

Mitch from the forum is on a lake in Maine and I'm sure he'd offer a pull there.

Thanks I will let you know. I appreciate the offer.

skilew

JohnE
04-18-2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks I will let you know. I appreciate the offer.

skilew

Keep me posted.

Lance
04-19-2009, 09:46 AM
I grew up in North Dakota and susppect you might be disappointed in the lakes there. As someone mentioned Lake Sacajawea on the Missouri river but that is very large and North Dakota can get quite windy so would likely not be the best for skiing. I found this link: http://www.goingoutside.com/lakestates/nd.html which might be of use. I grew up on Lake Juanita which was fine as a kid but would not necessarily recommend it. Something like the Jamestown Reservoir (on the James River) would likely be a reasonably good as it is near the interestate that runs through the state, is big enough to ski on but not too large. The problem with Jamestown is that it is fairly central and if you want to just dart across the border to get the check box filled there are probably better options.

I have never been to it but growing up I know a lot of people went to Lake Ashtabula. Devils Lake would be an option but I heard a lot more about it as a fishing spot than watersports.

In general I would not consider waterskiing to be very popular there so if you are looking to meet up with a ski club for the day I am not sure if you will be successful. Make sure you are planning the ND portion for July or August as the water and conditions will be very iffy at other times.

Is this an actual event where there will be many people involved or is it a smaller group. THis might dictate your options.

tcgottarun
04-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Beach Pond in Rhode Island. This is a spring fed 68' deep (at the deepest point) lake that is in both the states of Connecticut and Rhode Island (Mainly Connecticut). Great skiing no matter what the wind direction and unpopulated on one side of the lake due to it being privately owned as well as State Property. Approximately 10 Mastercrafts on Beach Pond and it is not nearly as crowded during the hot summer weekends as other lakes here in Rhode Island. Water is clean and clear, located on Route 165 in Voluntown CT and Exeter, RI

woftam
04-19-2009, 01:49 PM

Cold water (and it is cold) is the excuse given, not just body contact. For instance, wind surfing is allowed, if you wear a full wetsuit/drysuit (I suppose it keeps any possible #2 contained. Ewh). Still you are correct. No waterskiing.

Dillon Reservoir Boating & Water Rules and Regulations

Boaters must observe the Colorado (Watercraft) Vessel Code and the Colorado Boating Regulations. Go to here for more information.
30 mph speed limit: It is unlawful for any boat or vessel to travel at speeds in excess of 30 mph at any time under any circumstance, excluding law enforcement and emergency response operations.
Boat operators are required by Colorado law to carry safety equipment specified for the size and type of boat, which includes Person Flotation Devices (PFD's), navigation lights, backfire flame control, fire extinguishers, audible devices such as whistles, and muffler and ventilation systems.

PFD's (personal flotation devices)and fire extinguishers must be readily accessible: fire extinguishers should be kept in a location away from the engine and fuel tanks.
PFD's must be worn at all times by children 13 years and under.
Boat registration - All vessels on the water's surface must be properly registered through the Colorado Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation-Registration Unit (phone 303.791.1920) and must display the registration number in the proper location on the vessel.
All boats except inflatable, canvas boats, canoes and other portable craft must be launched from one of the boat ramps. Vehicles are not allowed to park on the boat ramps, except during loading and unloading.
Due to the cold temperatures and water quality concerns, water contact sports, including swimming, scuba diving, water skiing and other water contact related activities, are prohibited at the Dillon Recreation Area. Windsurfing with a full body wet or dry suit is permissible.
Watercraft Prohibited - Hovercraft, seaplanes, amphibious craft and personal watercraft are prohibited on the reservoir.
Vessels equipped with an above-transom exhaust are not allowed.
Activities Prohibited - Wakeboarding, waterskiing, paraskiing, paragliding, and parasailing, and other forms of recreational towing are prohibited within the recreation area.
Boaters can store their trailers for the day at the lot on Lodgepole Street in Dillon and in the designated areas at the Frisco Bay Marina and Pine Cove Campground.
Always operate your boat defensively, watch out for the other boats and use courtesy on the water. If you are in doubt as to a safe operating speed, or who has the right-of-way, slow down or yield to the other boater.
Dillon Reservoir's water level fluctuates depending upon the availability and demand for water by the Denver Water Board. While boating, you may encounter unmarked shallow areas and submerged obstacles. Please be observant and use caution while boating.

trickskier
04-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Our ducks ain't too friendly either!

These fish are pretty mean too...............8p

skilew
04-19-2009, 10:14 PM
I grew up in North Dakota and susppect you might be disappointed in the lakes there. As someone mentioned Lake Sacajawea on the Missouri river but that is very large and North Dakota can get quite windy so would likely not be the best for skiing. I found this link: http://www.goingoutside.com/lakestates/nd.html which might be of use. I grew up on Lake Juanita which was fine as a kid but would not necessarily recommend it. Something like the Jamestown Reservoir (on the James River) would likely be a reasonably good as it is near the interestate that runs through the state, is big enough to ski on but not too large. The problem with Jamestown is that it is fairly central and if you want to just dart across the border to get the check box filled there are probably better options.

I have never been to it but growing up I know a lot of people went to Lake Ashtabula. Devils Lake would be an option but I heard a lot more about it as a fishing spot than watersports.

In general I would not consider waterskiing to be very popular there so if you are looking to meet up with a ski club for the day I am not sure if you will be successful. Make sure you are planning the ND portion for July or August as the water and conditions will be very iffy at other times.

Is this an actual event where there will be many people involved or is it a smaller group. THis might dictate your options.

This is going to be my 12 year old daughter and myself with the help of others to supply the pull. I was working with one of the big three ski boat manufacturers to get a promo boat. But because of the down turn in the economy they just backed out as of last week.

I actually think it will work out better this way with participation from around the country. I have already gotten quite a few invites for pulls.

As always I appreciate any and all support that I can get.

Thanks,

skilew

panshovel68
04-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Popes creek and Dalghren areas of Potomac River, in the DC metro

mrprostar
04-20-2009, 11:54 AM
El Vado- Chama, New Mexico

myntrpd
05-27-2016, 03:54 PM
I've lived in both ND and WY.

Wyoming:

The most popular lake is Alcova Reservoir, but my favorite is Glendo Reservoir. Both are on the North Platte River, but Glendo is downstream from a powerplant and warms up much earlier than Alcova. Plus, it is far less crowded and is more known for fishing so you don't have much competition. Down side, it is usually breezy/windy and it's hard to find glass... Otherwise, Alcova is good, but busy, and then there is Boysen Reservoir near Riverton, WY. Haven't been on that one, but driven by and it looked nice, but probably stays pretty cold.

North Dakota:

The first and foremost would be Lake Sakakawea that is on the Missouri river, created by the impounded water of the Garrison Dam. It is a very large lake, and it stays pretty cold all year round, but has almost endless bays where one could find smooth water even if it is a little windy. Depending on where in the state you live, that is likely the best option, but some more local lakes that would work well are Patterson Lake near Dickinson, ND, Lake Tschida just south of Glen Ullin, ND, Lake Ashtabula near Valley City, ND, and some parts of Devil's Lake near Devil's Lake, ND. The first three of these are fairly small, so you might piss off a lot of fishermen (they are definitive majority of boaters in ND), but the lakes and water are usually nice if it's not too windy. Devil's Lake is a huge draw for fishing, so the same applies there, but it's also a fairly shallow lake, even though it is so big. I'd highly recommend getting a map of the lake depths before going and do your research. There's a LOT of submerged stumps, trees, and shallow areas, even in the "middle" of the lake.

Most people that live near the eastern edge of the state just go to a lake in Minnesota like the Detroit Lakes/Cormorant Lakes east of Fargo, or Maple lake east of Grand Forks.

CantRepeat
05-27-2016, 04:53 PM
You can find good times in the Phoenix valley.

http://www.saguarolakemarina.com/

http://www.canyonlakemarina.com/

http://www.apachelake.com/

http://www.rlmaz.com/rlmaz.html

http://www.azmarinas.com/PleasantHarbor/

http://www.bartlettlake.com/index.php

Outside Phoenix:

http://www.pr.state.az.us/Parks/ALLA/index.html

http://parkerareatourism.com/

http://www.lakehavasumarina.com/

Best of luck and have fun :D

I call BS!!

The Parker Strip in front of the Sundance on any holiday weekend is the best place to ski in AZ!! :D:D

205er
05-27-2016, 06:08 PM
I'd recommend Lake Roosevelt, Lake Entiat and Wanapum Lake in Washington. At Lake Wanapum, you can actually launch your boat within 100 yards of Interstate 90 (at Vantage). None of these are actually lakes; they are part of the Columbia River. If the wind blows, just go around the bend and the water is often flat again with all the cliffs and gorges.

madcityskier
05-27-2016, 06:19 PM
Sadly, one of the best ski lakes in Michigan no longer allows skiing last I heard. Other have been dug which ski just as well, but lack the history that developed here with the pro tour stops. Saw some of the greatest competitors and personalities in our sport here.
4235'39.7"N 8447'01.9"W

cbryan70
05-28-2016, 03:00 PM
I can give you a pull in northern il

Jerseydave
06-03-2016, 10:16 PM
I wonder if skilew ever did this trip? He hasn't posted anything since 7/2011

AZDave
06-03-2016, 10:45 PM
Best ski lake in Arizona has to be either Crystal Point in Gilbert, or Lakeside in Buckeye. Private lakes. For open water, my pick is Roosevelt. Biggest lake, with the least boat traffic overall. Cheapest access to a slalom course is Firebird in Chandler, but the most brackish water imaginable.