PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn mold

Linkster
04-06-2009, 12:30 AM
This attached picture is not for the faint of heart… I know, shame on me… Truth be told, the cover leaked through and trapped the wetness in. As you can see, I have recently tried the Magic Eraser Sponge with no luck. Any advice (besides replacing the vinyl)?

06' X-2 R8R H8R
04-06-2009, 01:38 AM
Soft scrub with bleach, but keep it of the lettering if at all possible. Good luck

ggroller
04-06-2009, 07:59 AM
3M Mold and Mildew stain remover works great.

I had the interior of an 88 Chaparral completely covered in mold and the 3M removed it all.

BrianM
04-06-2009, 10:30 AM
I have had good luck with the West Marine Mold and Mildew Remover. Make sure that you use a good protectant after you are done.

Craig
04-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Whatever you end up using, scrub with a soft bristle brush. Using a rag or other cloth you will just drive yourself nuts.

TX.X-30 fan
04-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Try greased lightning, and or magic eraser. The greased has lye so wash with water after and then 303 it.

Gamble
04-06-2009, 12:59 PM
I've had good luck w/tilex on my bay boat, just spray it on, brush, and wash off

sberard5
04-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Be careful when using products like greased lightning, castrol super clean etc because they tend to soften the thread material. Just dilute your mix to take a little of the potency away. Cant recommend 303 enough, great stuff!! Good Luck!!

CantRepeat
04-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Starbrite mold remover is what I ended up using after trying the magic eraser, which didn't work for me. I just sprayed it on and let it do the work. Once the mold was gone I took a wash cloth with warm water and then whip it all down.

TX.X-30 fan
04-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Be careful when using products like greased lightning, castrol super clean etc because they tend to soften the thread material. Just dilute your mix to take a little of the potency away. Cant recommend 303 enough, great stuff!! Good Luck!!

The vinyl will split before the thread gives way. I did say to rinse after and you can apply with a rag so as not to soak the stitching. Cheap stuff by the gallon like 6 bucks a HD and it works. The fancy crap is that much per little spray bottle.

Linkster
04-11-2009, 12:48 AM
Ask and you shall receive! All excellent suggestions.

For those searching on “mold” – the following is a summary of what I have learned from this post:
-3M Mold and Mildew stain remover
-West Marine Mold and Mildew Remover
-Magic Eraser
-Starbrite mold remover “just spray on and let it do the work”
-Soft scrub with bleach
-Greased Lightning
-Castrol super clean
-Tilex: “just spray it on, brush, and wash off”

Application:
-Scrub with a soft bristle brush
-Make sure that you use a good protectant after you are done

Disclaimers:
-Try soap/water first!
-Test in a small area
-Be careful when using aggressive products (greased lightning, castrol super clean, tilex, any product with bleach, etc) because they can soften the thread material and can also dry out vinyl. -On some you can dilute to take a little of the potency away
-Tape off any areas you do not want to get any rubbing overspray
-Rinse with warm “clean” water
-Protect with 303 afterwards!! Always always always…..

Project length:
Anywhere from 3 to 30 beers…..