PDA

View Full Version : Keel Shield / Boat buddy

Todd Brosius
04-05-2009, 01:28 PM
I attempted to search the site but could not find the info I needed. Anyone using the boat buddy and finding that it scratches the boat when loading? I am considering purchasing the keel shield product and applying it from the bow eye forward to basically the rub rail to protect the boat when loading (approx. 1 foot long). I obviously would attempt to match my boat color with the product (navy). I think using the boat buddy is great but would like some protection from it. Any similiar experiences out there????? 2004 Mastercraft prostar 197

Wacko
04-05-2009, 01:43 PM
While doing a search in google to find out what a boat buddy was I found this thread

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/archive/index.php/t-4157.html

TMCNo1
04-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Apply marine carpet to the Boat Buddy with 3M #76 spray adhesive, put together like contact cement when dry, apply something like Meguiers Quick Wax spray wax spray once a year and keep the bow waxed and problem solved. I trimmed the edges with the weave part of Velcro. That carpet has been on the Boat Buddy for 12 years since I added the Boar Buddy during my trailer refurbish in 1997.
Several members have chosen to go this route and have been very satisfied with the results.
45794 45796

WTRSK1R
04-05-2009, 08:04 PM
TMC has the right approach. Part of the issue could be that the 197 trailer does not fit the boat the same way the older trailers did. This issue has been beaten to death on various threads. I had a '92 205 and I could hit the trailer from nearly any angle with the trailer at nearly any depth and the boat would center up nicely and the boat buddy would latch on the first try EVERY time. My 197 (2004 same as yours) has been much more finicky. If the trailer depth is not perfect for the given launch, the angle on the boat buddy is not quite right and the darn thing will not latch. On one lake I frequent, putting the tops of the fenders at water level works fairly consistantly, on another lake, the water needs to be mid way through the top of the fender (steeper ramp). I find it quite frustrating after having the flawless experience of my prior trailer. In any case, the carpeting helps, and determining the right depth for a given ramp angle has really been the key for me.

Good Luck.

Todd Brosius
04-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll certainly take your advice.

MattsCraft
04-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Apply marine carpet to the Boat Buddy with 3M #76 spray adhesive, put together like contact cement when dry, apply something like Meguiers Quick Wax spray wax spray once a year and keep the bow waxed and problem solved. I trimmed the edges with the weave part of Velcro. That carpet has been on the Boat Buddy for 12 years since I added the Boar Buddy during my trailer refurbish in 1997.
Several members have chosen to go this route and have been very satisfied with the results.
45794 45796

TMC - Great idea I like it. Sort of a thread jack, what are you using as a safety chain on the trailer to bow eye. Right now I only use the boat buddy latch and winch strap, after seeing the thread of the Malibu sliding off the trailer makes me nervous. Thanks!

east tx skier
04-06-2009, 11:55 AM
One of two schools of thought believes that leaving the boat buddy engaged while towing can lead to a bent pin and, ultimately, a non-functioning boat buddy. The opposing camp thinks that you should leave it engaged. When had a boat buddy, I disengaged my pin and used additional restraints when trailering.

YMMV.

WishIWasSkiing
04-06-2009, 12:37 PM
One thing I didn't think to do for the winter was to remove the bow line. Over 5 months the boat buddy settled against the rope & made it pretty darn tough to disengage. But if it came down to it, I'd rather spend $70 for a new boat buddy than spend god knows how much to pick a boat up off the road.

TMCNo1
04-06-2009, 01:51 PM
TMC - Great idea I like it. Sort of a thread jack, what are you using as a safety chain on the trailer to bow eye. Right now I only use the boat buddy latch and winch strap, after seeing the thread of the Malibu sliding off the trailer makes me nervous. Thanks!

1/4" S/S clear plastic coated cable with a S/S snap hook, looped thru a eye I installed on the post after I drilled a hole in the post and welded a nut inside before painting.

cf_koch
04-06-2009, 08:11 PM
I used these on the transom of a previous boat to prevent scratches made by the transom strap hooks. The one pictured here is for the bow eye. They are called ScuffBuster Guards. I'm not sure if this will help in your situation, but it might be worth a look.