PDA

View Full Version : Max Volume is Really Quiet

MC X-15
04-04-2009, 07:53 PM
So i opened up my boat today from the winter, 08' X-15, and while i was letting the engine run a little i was listening to some music on the radio and everything was fine. Then i plugged in an Ipod Touch, a new one, and the volume was really high on the ipod and it sounded terrible and distorted which had happened with other ipods so i unplugged the ipod touch and lowered the volume on it and then plugged it back in. Since the time I plugged it back in the volume even if i turn it up all the way on the head unit will not get louder than a whisper.I unplugged the ipod and I changed it to FM and the same thing also with CD's. Im not sure what happened. Has anyone had this happen or know how to fix it and get it back to normal volume levels???? I have the stock system the comes in the 08 MC's. 2 JL speakers on the tower and 6 in the boat i think. Sub behind the drivers seat.

Thanks in advance, Rob

brianpt
04-04-2009, 09:36 PM
i have the same set up on my 08 x1 probably need to push the reset switch on the amps sound like a blown fuse

Witness140
04-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Just curious....were you using the IPOD adapter or were you using the aux jack? I was just doing some reading about the IPOD adapters and it claims the touch won't work. I plugged mine in briefly via the IPOD adapter when the boat showed up, and it worked, but I didn't explore to see if everything worked as advertised. Not sure about your volume issues. I do know that if I have the touch plugged in via aux jack in my Altima, and the IPOD volume is at the top of the scale, it will also be distorted. I reset the IPOD volume to about 50% and it works fine.

Jerseydave
04-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Yea, like brianpt said check breakers and/or fuse at the amp. Something may have tripped when your ipod was too loud (maybe is was trying to protect your speakers?)
You can also check your fuses at the battery cable connections.

Good to hear your getting ready to hit the water Rob..........we should be in soon too. :D
(2 of my buddies went riding in 46 degree water last week...........bbbrrrrrrrr!)

JimN
04-05-2009, 09:33 AM
First, never unplug a source or start playing when the volume is turned up on the head unit. Second, if the volume is low and is audible at more than a whisper, I'm not sure the fuses are blown, but it is possible. De-pending on how long the iPod was playing at that level, the speakers may have been damaged, especially if the input sensitivity controls on the amps are jacked up too high.

To start troubleshooting, as mentioned, check the fuses and breakers. If you have a stereo in your garage, you can run a cable from the head unit to that to make sure its output is normal. If it is, use a Record Out from the stereo to use as a source to the boat amps. If you hear low volume but it's crunchy, you'll need to check the speakers. If you have a multi-meter, use the continuity setting. If they show less than about 3 Ohms, the voice coils are probably shorted. Gently press the cone on each speaker, at even spacing and if it's crunchy, doesn't want to move or it clicks, it's toast. You may have to do this with each speaker.

If the input controls on the amps were jacked up all the way and they're JL, go to the JL Audio site and look for the setup procedure. It requires burning a CD with a couple of test tones and using a voltmeter but it is hte best way I have seen for setting the amps for best clean input for best sound and reliable performance, barring any other kind of system damage.

MC X-15
04-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Well i dont think i did any damage to anything bc. when i originally plugged in the ipod it wasnt super loud jsut the ipod was turned up all the way but the speakers and stereo were not, i gradually turned it up to a descent level on the stereo but not blasting by any means and then is when the distortion happened. It has happened in my car also and it is usually bc the ipod volume is too high. Then i turned it down again on the head unit ,unplugged it ,turned the ipod volume down to about 50% then plugged back in and that is when the prob started. So i dont think i blew any speakers . I was thinking more along the lines of some sort of setting that may have changed in the Clarion head unit. becasue all the speakers looked and felt fine on the cones and they all still played perfect jsut very low. Like for example on regular radio FM which usually i can get pretty loud and feel comfortable nothing will blow out is now very low when the head unit is maxed at 33. usually at 10-12 is a normal but loud listening level but now cannot even be heard. But like i said all the speakers are working fine -just low, no distortion or frackling like a blown speaker, just low. I did not check the fuses or breakers so i willl do that next time im at the boat. I thought maybe this would be an easy settings fix but may have to get my dealer involved considering the boat is under warranty.

Thanks for all the help guys. really appreciate it, Rob

Dave when do u open the boat, we definatley should get together for some riding this year. Was planning on getting the wetsuits on this wekend, water was 50 deg air 62. but we had 20 mph winds so it jsut didnt happen. Soon though, getting pumped.

Thanks for all the help guys. appreciate it, Rob

MC X-15
04-06-2009, 09:24 AM
bump** anyone else have any other ideas? is there a way to reset the factory headunit to its original state??

JohnE
04-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Did you plug another source directly into the amp to prove that it is definitely the head unit that is screwed up?

JimN
04-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Disconnect power to the head unit for about 5 minutes and reconnect it. That should reset it.

Monte
04-06-2009, 10:22 AM
The mute button is most likely pressed.. Reset will fix it, but I've had the same thing happen before.. Raked my brain over it, my three year old went over mashed the mute button.. Almost blew our eardrums..

B-rad
04-06-2009, 11:07 AM
dont forget to check the Ipod, one of my friends had a similar problem check your ipod downloads, at what bit rate, and the sound levels in the iod program itself.

footinfool
04-06-2009, 03:36 PM
i had a similar problem. i was using the aux jack and apparently the cord was bad. used a different cord and problem was solved.

TX.X-30 fan
04-06-2009, 03:57 PM
The mute button is most likely pressed.. Reset will fix it, but I've had the same thing happen before.. Raked my brain over it, my three year old went over mashed the mute button.. Almost blew our eardrums..

I have one of those little snotty things that can't keep his hands off the buttons, About to install my third rear bilge pump. :mad:

MC X-15
04-07-2009, 09:27 AM
i had a similar problem. i was using the aux jack and apparently the cord was bad. used a different cord and problem was solved.

Did all the functions. Tuner/Cd also go quiet when the aux cord was bad?? bc now all fuintions of the radio are very low

footinfool
04-07-2009, 01:07 PM
i dont know. i was only using the ipod at the time and did not check the tuner or cd