PDA

View Full Version : Dave Ramsey's MC

mattsn
04-03-2009, 06:44 PM
I have observed a number of Dave Ramsey folks on this forum. On his show today he talked about his love for MC's and his X-2 pickle fork and how he enjoyed to barefoot, ski and surf. It is Vol Orange. He talked about the tower and excellent sound system.

Then he went on to say it really wasn't "his". He said it was a "promo" boat from MC and they loan him a new one every year because he pimps them on his radio show!! And who said payola was dead.

Grover777
04-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Well, then his X-2 is owned debt free!!

Kevin&Annie
04-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Well, then his X-2 is owned debt free!!

True dat..

coz
04-03-2009, 06:52 PM
I have observed a number of Dave Ramsey folks on this forum. On his show today he talked about his love for MC's and his X-2 pickle fork and how he enjoyed to barefoot, ski and surf. It is Vol Orange. He talked about the tower and excellent sound system.

Then he went on to say it really wasn't "his". He said it was a "promo" boat from MC and they loan him a new one every year because he pimps them on his radio show!! And who said payola was dead.

Obviously I not one :confused: who in the world is Dave Ramsey? :confused:

jimmer2880
04-03-2009, 06:52 PM
I listened to DR regularly for about 2 years while I owned an XM unit. I never once heard him mention MC. I heard him talk about boating, but never MC.

TMCNo1
04-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Obviously I not one :confused: who in the world is Dave Ramsey? :confused:

Mr. and Mrs. Ramsey's boy, http://www.daveramsey.com/

coz
04-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Mr. and Mrs. Ramsey's boy, http://www.daveramsey.com/

Oh ok! :rolleyes: nope! still never heard of him :confused:

cbryan70
04-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Eric needs to get ahold of him regarding said 197 in orange

Ski-me
04-03-2009, 10:26 PM
That is surprising that he gets to use it for "free". I don't think I've ever heard of that......how reliable is the source?

I listen to him a lot (based on my signature) and very rarely hear him talk about skiing let alone his Mastercraft. I would think that if he was suppose to plug MC every once in a while, we would hear about it much more. In my opinion, he doesn't do it hardly at all! And when he talks about skiing, he sticks with general term most of the time.....not brand specific.

I'm not going to question it too much.....the system is great and hard to argue with! I'm sitting here in this economy with no car payments, no boat payments and my house is paid off. Something must be right!

We now teach the class to others and it's cool to watch life changes.

Farmer Ted
04-03-2009, 10:29 PM
That is surprising that he gets to use it for "free". I don't think I've ever heard of that......how reliable is the source?

I listen to him a lot (based on my signature) and very rarely hear him talk about skiing let alone his Mastercraft. I would think that if he was suppose to plug MC every once in a while, we would hear about it much more. In my opinion, he doesn't do it hardly at all! And when he talks about skiing, he sticks with general term most of the time.....not brand specific.

I'm not going to question it too much.....the system is great! No car payments, no boat payments and my house is paid off. Something's right! We now teach the class to others and it's cool to watch life changes.

He's all the time talking about the best built boat in the world "MasterCraft"

VOLFAN
04-03-2009, 10:54 PM
He is on radio stations all over the US and is also on TV, XM & Sirus radio. He lives in Nashville. If you listen often enough you will hear him say he is doing the show from his lake house on some days. My wife is a ELP of his.

mattsn
04-04-2009, 08:11 AM

I'm not going to question it too much.....the system is great and hard to argue with! I'm sitting here in this economy with no car payments, no boat payments and my house is paid off. Something must be right!

We now teach the class to others and it's cool to watch life changes.

I doubt if this part will be part of his 4/3 podcast as it usually only deals with callers. But, as a daily ritual, I listen to him. The information came from his broadcast and I did not made any adjustments in the facts he stated.

TMCNo1
04-04-2009, 08:40 AM
One of our local TV stations is advertising his being added to the programming of one of our local talk radio stations. I guess it's a good thing, I dunno.

mccobmd
04-04-2009, 08:45 AM
He is all about having what you can pay for not what you can finance. Can't be all bad

Ski-me
04-04-2009, 09:14 AM
I doubt if this part will be part of his 4/3 podcast as it usually only deals with callers. But, as a daily ritual, I listen to him. The information came from his broadcast and I did not made any adjustments in the facts he stated.

I re-read your original post and noticed you say "He" or in other words "Dave" said this. I guess if you heard it from the horses mouth, there's not much to say. :o

point1234
04-04-2009, 12:38 PM
I have an extra book of his, The Total Money Makeover. Its brand new, but it was ruined in shipping the front and back cover are both bent and broken, all the pages are still in tact and very readable. you just pay for shipping. If anyone is interested. They sent me a new one to cover the one that was ruined in shipping.

TX.X-30 fan
04-04-2009, 06:24 PM
I think he should have to repay the millions from his first bankruptcy, he has the dough now so make all those bad debts good?

mattsn
04-04-2009, 08:08 PM
I agree, he "claims" he repaid many, but never has shown any proof of his repayment. His advice is good, but he has taken that and is now making a fortune of $$$

Bongo
04-04-2009, 09:54 PM
I listened to Dave for about 10 minutes last week from a market that has syndicated his show. He talked about his MasterCrafts, waterskiing and his lake place as part of the story he was building. (MasterCrafts was plural which I interpretted to mean he currently had more than one, but he may have said it in a manner that meant he had a few through the years.)

If you haven't heard his show, his tag line is something similar to: Spend less than you make.

The whole show is built around this premise.

Monte
04-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Dave Ramsey is .. Man I can't go here.. There wherever.. Carry on.. I wish I could go bankrupt TWICE. then have peoiple pay me millions to tell them how to run their finances.. AND he gets a free MC????

liledgy
04-05-2009, 07:42 PM
he's a blowhard.

mattsn
04-05-2009, 08:44 PM
I would not disagree, however, he has turned that "blow" into a multi-million $$ company and he is doing well for himself. I think his approach is good, but probably not realistic. He always tells people then can make $1,000 per month delivering pizza's. Well you folks must tip very well in Tenn. because there is no way to operate your own vehicle to deliver and to make that kind of money. He guidance to get and stay out of debt and to not finance things is good, but I doubt that "normal" people do not pay cash for MC. I used to sell MC for a local dealer and I don't remember one "Cash" deal.

Farmer Ted
04-05-2009, 09:23 PM
I think he should have to repay the millions from his first bankruptcy, he has the dough now so make all those bad debts good?

He did.................

Andyg
04-05-2009, 09:57 PM
I never listened to Dave Ramsey's show before. I read this thread yesterday before going out to dinner. On my way to dinner his show was on the radio so I decided to listen for a while to see if he mentioned anything about MC. Well sure enough it must have been a rebroadcast of the same show mattsn must have heard. It was almost word for word as mattsn stated.

TX.X-30 fan
04-06-2009, 12:00 PM
He did.................

He says he did ................................. Big difference. Just sayin.

6ballsisall
04-06-2009, 12:25 PM
He says he did ................................. Big difference. Just sayin.

It can be verified.............

TX.X-30 fan
04-06-2009, 01:40 PM
By whom?????

east tx skier
04-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Loud noises.

TX.X-30 fan
04-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Loud noises.

Give me a hint what you meant. He!! I can rhyme like Jessie Jackson. :D

liledgy
04-06-2009, 06:07 PM
last week a caller asked him if it would be wise to prepay a years worth of rent. with some landlords getting foreclosed on he told the caller don't do it unless you could save 20% on the rent! As a landlord myself I would never reduce my income by 20%, maybe 5%. I would also show my tenants mypayment coupon that I'm up to date. 2 things bothered me about his reply, only a landlord that was in foreclosure would take that much off for prepaying and it takes about a year for the bank to get you out of the house anyway. He's just the flavor of the month right now just as "rich dad poor dad", Tony Robbins, C. Sheets and many others before them. They make money by selling books, tapes, etc. Ramsey has a slightly different angle he's got the local preachers backing him to (smart) as he goes to certain churches for his workshops. The preachers like it to because he's always telling his callers to tithe ! A local bible thumper by me is pushing some finacial advice on people like biweekley mortgage payments and other things like that . Not bad advice but this guys about 49 and he thinks Ramsey invented that idea. This guys like a little sheep following his preacher and now Ramsey. To bad it took him 49 years to figure out how to prepay a mortgage.

Ski-me
04-06-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm surprised to hear so much negative comments about Ramsey.

The principles are not really that difficult to understand. Pay with cash and live within your means. Don't borrow money, prepare for emergencies (not your Visa), get your retirement set up (because you will retire), help your kids through college (if possible), and give back to the community (religious or secular).

What's so terrible about that? All I know is that it's changed our lives and many of our friends for the better.

TX.X-30 fan
04-06-2009, 06:22 PM
last week a caller asked him if it would be wise to prepay a years worth of rent. with some landlords getting foreclosed on he told the caller don't do it unless you could save 20% on the rent! As a landlord myself I would never reduce my income by 20%, maybe 5%. I would also show my tenants mypayment coupon that I'm up to date. 2 things bothered me about his reply, only a landlord that was in foreclosure would take that much off for prepaying and it takes about a year for the bank to get you out of the house anyway. He's just the flavor of the month right now just as "rich dad poor dad", Tony Robbins, C. Sheets and many others before them. They make money by selling books, tapes, etc. Ramsey has a slightly different angle he's got the local preachers backing him to (smart) as he goes to certain churches for his workshops. The preachers like it to because he's always telling his callers to tithe ! A local bible thumper by me is pushing some finacial advice on people like biweekley mortgage payments and other things like that . Not bad advice but this guys about 49 and he thinks Ramsey invented that idea. This guys like a little sheep following his preacher and now Ramsey. To bad it took him 49 years to figure out how to prepay a mortgage.

I think this pretty well sums it up, great logical explanation. Subject closed. :D

Jesus_Freak
04-07-2009, 01:10 PM
I think this pretty well sums it up, great logical explanation. Subject closed. :D

Except that we only read why liledgy doesnt like DR, not what is wrong with DR's premises, in general. :)

TX.X-30 fan
04-07-2009, 01:28 PM
I like most all his premises, just not nuts about the messenger. How much does his total financial fix stuff cost 1,000???? So dead broke people spending cash the don't have??

steve578
04-07-2009, 02:21 PM
I like most all his premises, just not nuts about the messenger. How much does his total financial fix stuff cost 1,000???? So dead broke people spending cash the don't have??

That's the great thing about David Ramesy. He doesn't require you to spend any money to use his program. He even recomends checking his book out at the library if you can't afford it.

TX.X-30 fan
04-07-2009, 02:51 PM
That's the great thing about David Ramesy. He doesn't require you to spend any money to use his program. He even recomends checking his book out at the library if you can't afford it.

That swings it I've had an epiphany, I love Dave Ramsey( not in a gay way) completely. :D

Hollywood
04-07-2009, 02:57 PM
The principles are not really that difficult to understand.

All I know is that it's changed our lives and many of our friends for the better.

So it took DR to explain simple principles to you to live within your means or did you just sack up and do it?

Ski-me
04-07-2009, 03:22 PM
So it took DR to explain simple principles to you to live within your means or did you just sack up and do it?

Kept spending to "keep up with the Jones." After a lot of financial "discussions" with my wife....something had to change. DR's book helped spell things out very easily. I certainly knew some of the information one way or another but the process he spell's out made it much easier to follow.

There are a lot of people in some type of financial stress.....weather they want to admit it or not. I've just seen first hand how it has changed so many lives. We are facilitating his class for a second go around and it's so cool to watch their lives change.

There something cool about driving a paid for vehicle and a paid for boat.:cool:

kenk
04-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Dave Ramsey is cool.

Jimmauburn
04-07-2009, 04:07 PM
I own a 1989 Mastercraft Prostar 190 and a 2002 Chevy Tahoe Z-71 which are both paid for because of Dave Ramsey !! Yes I could have a new 2008 or 2009 Tahoe and a much nicer Mastercraft but I will stick with my oldies for now in the sake that in maybe few more years I can pay CASH for my next truck and boat. Credit is okay but paying with cash really makes the end of the month much easier to bare !!!!!! Go Dave...

Monte
04-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Here is MY problem with ole DR.. HE and Suze Ormon. "Buy term insurance, invest the difference." Do you know how many people have come into my office with whole life policies that have been on the books for YEARS.. Low low rates, plans people took out in their twenties and thirtys. Stuff so old that nobody makes a commission anymore. They come in like sheep every time his little seminar gets started at a different church in town. People cancel their perminent coverage. Then get pissed off that uncle sam taxed them for early withdrawl penalties on their tax deferred dividends and cash value. Oh yeah they want term, which is better than nothing, but then when the stock market takes a dive as it has in recent months and the cash value that they "invested" goes away they get pissed because we "let" them cancel. I am waiting for the class action lawsuit that sucks both of those characters in. IMHO you cannot give blanket financial advice to the masses and expect it to work for everybody. No two people in this world are in the exact same mold. Neither are their finances. Yes the concept is great, but it can be said in six words... " do not live beyond your means".. Not $75 worth of instruction materials (my secretary just took the course at her church)..
Lastly I will say this. I cannot STAND anybody who hides behind the cloth of the church for personnal gain.. Somebody, Anybody.... Prove to me that is not what he is doing..

TX.X-30 fan
04-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Off the charts good Senior Monte.

In a 3 minute phone call he spouts all kinds of crap this person should go and do and has no clue about the specific situation, and in my opinion many times gives very irresponsible off the cuff advise. He is a snake oil salesman with a decent product in his simpleton financial advise.

liledgy
04-07-2009, 08:45 PM
no you don't understand, just talk to one of my ELP's they will take care of you, not! Sell your reliable car and by a 1000.00 dollar beater, when it beaks down on the way to work just tell your boss "dave said so". And don't forget to eat beans for the next 5 years. Really, he doesn't give you any real useful information.

alletric
04-07-2009, 10:24 PM
I agree with the live within your means but if I hear "beans and rice, rice and beans" one more time! Oh well if I had patented the upside hanging tomatoe plant I would be the inventor of the topsy turvey.

Grover777
04-07-2009, 11:59 PM
However he says it..."beans and rice" etc....it is simple, whether you have paid for a book, FPU, whatever, many folks have been addicted to instant gratificaton....via credit, and some have managed credit well, the vast majority have not...if I can not afford this dvd player, tv, boat, etc now....I will next month or maybe next month or the next....Americans have been addicted to "get it now"itis and have relied on credit to get things we cannot afford.

We have been following his advice since January and it has been good for our family, not easy, but good.

Many Americans are in the get it now, I deserve it, keep up with the Joneses mentality....I have been there, but there is a breaking point......I myself sleep better at night, especially in light of this economy knowing I dont owe Citibank, Chase, WaMu etc credit card debt....but I have in the past, and if not for debt, I would not owne my MC now....however, thanks to DR, I am very close to owing nothing but my house payment each month....

I have not invested a lot of money in DR, and like an earlier poster said, you can get the plan free from your local library.....If you get the book from the library, there is no "he is hiding behind the church, etc" Granted, many of his views are Biblically based, but you have to admit, Christian, Jew, Muslim or whatever, being debt free is a huge burden off of your life.......

Many of us buy **** we dont need only to impress people we dont like....

I am off of my soapbox now....Lets Ski!!

holms
04-08-2009, 12:33 AM
I'm a Dave fan. It's been good for my family...

liledgy
04-08-2009, 07:57 PM
he tells one person to cut this or that out and invest it in mutual funds, never mentioning any family of funds. that would be a great starting point for people that don't know much, but that would take away from his elp's sales pitch. Not that I know much, but many indepedent profesionals will tell you to buy index funds for the low fees. I pesonally have a bit in Fidelity spartan because they charge 1/10 of 1%. But Ramsey could at least acknowlege John Vogle from vanguard the inventor of index funds. Ramsey will then tell you that your investment will get lets say 12% (its always 12%). after 40 years of investing 32$ a month you'll have xyz dollars. Even removing the last 9 years of the market, you wouldn't of even made 10% . And thats before his inflated ELP's funds familys expenses. Maybe he uses 12% because with that number you will double your money every 6 years. So if you work backwards from 60 and have a million dollars you would need to have 500,000 at age 54, 250,000 at age 48, 125,000 at age 42, 62,500 at age 36, 31,250 at age 30, 15,625 at age 24 and so on. The next day Ramsey will tell his flock to pay off your low fixed rate mortgage. If I can get 12% with Ramsey why would I payoff my fixed rate of 5 1/8 . It may feel good but it doesn't make financial sense, and I don't even want to get into leverage. If you want a good book to read " The millionaire next door" would be a good start even though it was written well over 10 years ago.