PDA

View Full Version : Heating Up

Shane21
04-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Ok, so I've only taken my boat out once so far this year. It was for the mardi gras boat parade in february. I de-winterized and ran it on the trailer before I took it out and everything was fine. I normally replace the impeller each year, but got tired of paying $40 for a new impeller when the one I was taking out looked fine. So I didn't change it this year. Water was about 60 deg and I was running a little on the hot side. Normally runs cooler even in the dead of summer. I didn't run the boat much at all. Did I make a mistake by not changing the impeller or could it be something else (maybe trash or corrosion)? I did back flush the tranny cooler when I de-winterized. Just looking for some other things to check before I change that impeller out.

Gamble
04-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Did you notice steam out the back? How hot did it run, and would it warm up at idle and cool off after you got on it? If I was betting, I'd say it's the impeller. Just my .02.

Shane21
04-07-2009, 02:34 PM
It didn't get that hot. Barely got to 200. I keep a pretty close eye and I would've shut it down before too much longer. It ran fine. Idled great, ran great, never skipped a beat. I'll be taking it out again soon so I'll check it again then. If I still see it, I'll change the impeller. So, does everyone change theirs every year?

flipper
04-07-2009, 02:53 PM
I change mine every year no matter how much I've ran it. Sitting is just as bad as running for them as they dry out and get brittle.

VOLFAN
04-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Take the hose off the goes from the water pump to the oil cooler. Check for debris there. If there is anything in there it will cause it to run on the warm side too.

macattack
04-07-2009, 03:22 PM
I may be one of the few, but I do not change my impellor every year. As VOLFAN stated, you can check for debris in the screen on your transmission cooler. If you find pieces of rubber, then you need a new impellor. You can also take off the impellor cover and visually inspect to see if any of the fins have broken off. Some folks remove the impellor for the winter and reinstall before the next season. I do carry an extra impellor in the boat, just in case…hope this helps, mac

TX.X-30 fan
04-07-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm with bigmac don't change my oil or my impeller.

bigmac
04-07-2009, 04:06 PM
I change my oil once a season, don't change my impeller unless it breaks. IMHO, it doesn't break often enough for me to justify automatically changing it every year. If I were the OP, though, I'd pull this impeller and check it. It's true that sitting over the winter, dry, means that vanes could be ripped of on that first start-up with no lubricating water in the cooling system.

My opinion. YMMV.

TX.X-30 fan
04-07-2009, 04:09 PM
I change my oil once a season, don't change my impeller unless it breaks. IMHO, it doesn't break often enough for me to justify automatically changing it every year. If I were the OP, though, I'd pull this impeller and check it. It's true that sitting over the winter, dry, means that vanes could be ripped of on that first start-up with no lubricating water in the cooling system.

My opinion. YMMV.

Along the same line bigmac, what is the rear bilge pump a Rule 500 or 750?? This will be #3 I guess my kid turns it on.

bigmac
04-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Along the same line bigmac, what is the rear bilge pump a Rule 500 or 750?? This will be #3 I guess my kid turns it on.

Dunno. I'd have to look and get back to you. Generally, IMHO, bigger is better.

flipper
04-07-2009, 05:24 PM

#3 and you still don't know which one? Tell the kid to quit turning it on:rolleyes:

east tx skier
04-07-2009, 05:33 PM
If you're not going to change the impeller in the spring, at least remove it when you winterize so it doesn't get malformed from being in one position so long. When I swapped mine out this year, I could really see this first hand.

TX.X-30 fan
04-07-2009, 05:47 PM
#3 and you still don't know which one? Tell the kid to quit turning it on:rolleyes:

I have, at 3 then at 4 and 5 I must have gotten a defective kid. :D

flipper
04-07-2009, 05:48 PM
I have, at 3 then at 4 and 5 I must have gotten a defective kid. :D

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

TX.X-30 fan
04-07-2009, 05:53 PM
:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

I can't find the receipt either.

BrandonKTM
04-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Impellers have 7-10 rubber vanes on them, i had one that 4 or 5 vanes broke off, leaving several still intact. Less water got pumped and the rubber pieces partially plugged stuff. Temp did not skyrocket as it still pumped some and the lake was cool early in the year, but real trouble is coming and you know it will happen miles from where it is easy. Check the impeller, and search for all the pieces you can.

BrandonKTM
04-08-2009, 12:44 PM

My opinion. YMMV.

I usually put a garden hose on my intake BEFORE I turn it over in the Spring and that forces water thru the engine and hopefully to the impeller, cause Bigmac is right, it will be dry and the rubber vanes on the impeller are more likely to break.

Shane21
04-08-2009, 12:58 PM
I do always look at the impeller when I de-winterize and it looks good. That was why I decided not to change it this time. I keep a spare as well, so I may just chance it. Didn't someone once have a link for the impeller removal tool? My problem is I just about destroy it trying to get it out, so the whole taking it out during the winter doesn't help me.

Shane21
04-08-2009, 12:59 PM
But thanks for everyone's help.

And I also check ALL my switches when I get out of the boat, b/c I have rugrats too that will flip switches and push buttons. I have had one turn the bilge on for me once before, but luckily I caught it.

flipper
04-08-2009, 01:45 PM
This one?

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=JAB50070-0040

flipper
04-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Make sure you have room to get it in there, as I've herd of some boats where you can't get to the impeller with the puller, but I can't remember which one it was.

bigmac
04-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Make sure you have room to get it in there, as I've herd of some boats where you can't get to the impeller with the puller, but I can't remember which one it was.

MIght not work on some V-drives. With some of the models/years, there isn't enough clearance between the raw water pump and the "Silentmaster" muffler -- not enough room to turn the puller.

http://mccollister.info/rwpumpclearance.jpg

Shane21
04-14-2009, 05:46 PM
That'll help...Thanks!!!