PDA

View Full Version : '95 prostar/GM MEFI 1 TBI manual ?

nostar 190
04-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Hi,
Long time reader,new @ posting & still fumbeling around w/navigating.Anyway,any thoughts on where a guy could scare up a MEFI 1 manual? (out of print & unavailable from skidim).Everything is fine @ the moment,but like mom always says, hope for the best & plan for the worst. (I have to say this site has been a huge help in the past & thanks for that) Andy

rspiecha
04-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Having owned a 1994 with the 5.7 TBI. This site is your best source of info dealing with issues. Also, if your MEFI 1 ECM goes out, you can not get a replacement from the dealer or Indmar. Instead, the MEFI 2 is the replacement. I had mine go out years back, and I live within 20 miles of Indmar.

Rob

JimN
04-03-2009, 01:54 PM
What info are you looking for?

FYI- if the ECM does go bad, in order to use any of the newest ones, the relays and some of the harness will need to be rewired, but only for the relay triggers, which were + out from the old ECM and grounding output on the new ones. Might be some pin reassignments, too.

rspiecha
04-03-2009, 02:30 PM
The MEFI II was a direct plug in replacement, but they did say anything newer than that would be close to a re-wire of everything.

Rob

nostar 190
04-03-2009, 02:54 PM
What info are you looking for?

FYI- if the ECM does go bad, in order to use any of the newest ones, the relays and some of the harness will need to be rewired, but only for the relay triggers, which were + out from the old ECM and grounding output on the new ones. Might be some pin reassignments, too.

What I'm after,Jim, is to have a solution ready in the event of a problem (minimal downtime).I bought the boat two years ago w/ 180 hrs (it was a garage queen) & have had good luck w/ it.I would just like to be able to properly troubleshoot that MEFI & TBI system if needed.I have the small code reader so I guess that's a start.

JimN
04-03-2009, 02:58 PM
What I'm after,Jim, is to have a solution ready in the event of a problem (minimal downtime).I bought the boat two years ago w/ 180 hrs (it was a garage queen) & have had good luck w/ it.I would just like to be able to properly troubleshoot that MEFI & TBI system if needed.I have the small code reader so I guess that's a start.

A regular 350 c.i.d. GM manual should have the troubleshooting info you need since that's all these are. The ECM and program are different but the rest of the motor works exactly the same way, in all respects. Cooler thermostat, richer fuel and run at higher average load and RPM but other than that, it's the same. Same trouble codes, too.

Besides, if you have a problem and post it here, someone will either answer it or point you to a thread/post that does. Most issues have already been covered.

nostar 190
04-03-2009, 03:15 PM
OK Jim,Thanks. Hey I'm in the process of putting together a remote oil filter kit, what do you think of a engine oil cooler being added (I'm thinking the same exchanger they use for the trans) while doing the plumbing.The engine has a half (block only) closed cooling system installed w/ a 160 deg thermostat.340 hrs on boat/engine.

nostar 190
04-03-2009, 04:06 PM
The MEFI II was a direct plug in replacement, but they did say anything newer than that would be close to a re-wire of everything.

Rob Ok well,let's hope it doesn't come to that.

chico
04-03-2009, 06:01 PM
I bought a spare ecm for my 94,they sent a mefi2,$1500.00.I purchaced a mefi manual from skidimm for $19.00,it`s actually called a PCM traing manual for GM 5.7 MEFI.great manual.

JimN
04-03-2009, 07:38 PM
OK Jim,Thanks. Hey I'm in the process of putting together a remote oil filter kit, what do you think of a engine oil cooler being added (I'm thinking the same exchanger they use for the trans) while doing the plumbing.The engine has a half (block only) closed cooling system installed w/ a 160 deg thermostat.340 hrs on boat/engine.

I don't think a cooler would hurt but if the raw water supply is cut off, it'll be back to normal. I haven't really seen any boats with one, although a filter relocation kit would be a good thing if you can find a spot for it where it won't be too close to the motor box. I never really thought the normal location was that bad on these and I did hundreds of oil changes. Some boats are worse, but MC never really seemed that bad, to me. It's a royal PITA in a lot of stern drive boats, though and they just didn't "get" it when I was working on boats.

nostar 190
04-03-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm just clumsy,every time I've changed the oil,I wind up dropping the old filter & making a mess in the bilge,shop towels everywhere,etc,etc. My concern w/ the oil cooler is that it may work too well & prolong warm ups.Maybe I need to do some reading.For what it's worth:This boat started out w/ me as a tool for pulling a skier,I've since sort of fallen in love w/ the silly thing & don't mind lavishing time & a little money on it. I don't have any boat experience other than this 190,but it seems to be nicely made & worth the bother.

JimN
04-03-2009, 09:37 PM
I'm just clumsy,every time I've changed the oil,I wind up dropping the old filter & making a mess in the bilge,shop towels everywhere,etc,etc. My concern w/ the oil cooler is that it may work too well & prolong warm ups.Maybe I need to do some reading.For what it's worth:This boat started out w/ me as a tool for pulling a skier,I've since sort of fallen in love w/ the silly thing & don't mind lavishing time & a little money on it. I don't have any boat experience other than this 190,but it seems to be nicely made & worth the bother.

Save the bottles from windshield washer fluid and cut them off, about 6-8" high. Spread some paper towels in the bilge, unscrew the filter until it starts to drip, let it drip (or wear rubber gloves- Harbor Freight sells Nitrile gloves that don't fall apart from gas and oil) and when you remove the filter, set (or drop) it into the container. Wipe the filter mount and after filling the new one with oil, install it. Slide the container with the old filter along the floor and take it out where there's more room to maneuver it. Wipe up any spillage and finish whatever you have left to do.

JUST-IN-TIME
04-05-2009, 12:30 AM
shoot me an email you want a manual