PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Sea Ice Melting Faster Than Expected

trickskier
04-03-2009, 09:21 AM
WASHINGTON Arctic sea ice is melting so fast most of it could be gone in 30 years. A new analysis of changing conditions in the region, using complex computer models of weather and climate, says conditions that had been forecast by the end of the century could occur much sooner.

A change in the amount of ice is important because the white surface reflects sunlight back into space. When ice is replaced by dark ocean water that sunlight can be absorbed, warming the water and increasing the warming of the planet.

The finding adds to concern about climate change caused by human activities such as burning fossil fuels, a problem that has begun receiving more attention in the Obama administration and is part of the G20 discussions under way in London.

"Due to the recent loss of sea ice, the 2005-2008 autumn central Arctic surface air temperatures were greater than 5 degrees Celsius (9 degrees Fahrenheit) above" what would be expected, the new study reports.

That amount of temperature increase had been expected by the year 2070.

The new report by Muyin Wang of the Joint Institute for the Study of Atmosphere and Ocean and James E. Overland of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory, appears in Friday's edition of the journal Geophysical Research Letters.

They expect the area covered by summer sea ice to decline from about 2.8 million square miles normally to 620,000 square miles within 30 years.

Last year's summer minimum was 1.8 million square miles in September, second lowest only to 2007 which had a minimum of 1.65 million square miles, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center.

The Center said Arctic sea ice reached its winter maximum for this year at 5.8 million square miles on Feb. 28. That was 278,000 square miles below the 1979-2000 average making it the fifth lowest on record. The six lowest maximums since 1979 have all occurred in the last six years.

Overland and Wang combined sea-ice observations with six complex computer models used by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change to reach their conclusions. Combining several computer models helps avoid uncertainties caused by natural variability.

Much of the remaining ice would be north of Canada and Greenland, with much less between Alaska and Russia in the Pacific Arctic.

"The Arctic is often called the Earth's refrigerator because the sea ice helps cool the planet by reflecting the sun's radiation back into space," Wang said in a statement. "With less ice, the sun's warmth is instead absorbed by the open water, contributing to warmer temperatures in the water and the air."

The study was supported by the NOAA Climate Change Program Office, the Institute for the Study of the Ocean and Atmosphere and the U.S. Department of Energy.

Monte
04-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Trick.. Holy crap what are you doing maaan??

:popcorn::popcorn:

JohnE
04-03-2009, 09:25 AM
So when will it be warm enough for me to ski in January here in MA? I can't wait.:D

JohnE
04-03-2009, 09:25 AM

I think he started the Friday drinking early.;)

trickskier
04-03-2009, 09:29 AM

Thought it was an interesting article...................;)

Monte
04-03-2009, 09:31 AM
I think he started the Friday drinking early.;)

Well:rolleyes: At least today will be interesting. This should make for a full day of reading weblinks and pasted articles. Then of course rebuttles, anger, disdain, and eventually something similar to an all out war..:noface:

I repeat :popcorn:

Monte
04-03-2009, 09:32 AM

It is.. I am just fueling flames..;):D

D3skier
04-03-2009, 09:40 AM
maybe we can all start making more ice and ship it up to them to make up the difference. Then we can put this global warming thing to rest. :uglyhamme:purplaugh

trickskier
04-03-2009, 10:04 AM
maybe we can all start making more ice and ship it up to them to make up the difference. Then we can put this global warming thing to rest. :uglyhamme:purplaugh

Great Idea..................:rolleyes:8p

shepherd
04-03-2009, 10:07 AM

Holy crap! :uglyhamme

maybe we can all start making more ice and ship it up to them to make up the difference. Then we can put this global warming thing to rest.

Wait, by making ice wouldn't we be increasing CO2 emissions and greenhouse gasses??? Vicious cycle! ;)

trickskier
04-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Holy crap! :uglyhamme

Wait, by making ice wouldn't we be increasing CO2 emissions and greenhouse gasses??? Vicious cycle! ;)

Probably the reason it's melting faster than expected.................:rolleyes:

JimN
04-03-2009, 10:23 AM
They're also saying that we may be in a cooling period and the sunspot activity is very low.

Gee- another study? Another set of studies? Sounds like job security for researchers, to me. They can't come to any kind of conclusion unless they're paid to by some interested party.

Here's another link:

http://www.cnsnews.com/Public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=44431

TX.X-30 fan
04-03-2009, 10:34 AM

RINO. :mad:

Monte
04-03-2009, 10:35 AM
RINO. :mad:

Liner:confused:

wakeX2wake
04-03-2009, 10:35 AM
i'm w/ John E... i'm ready to be able to ride yr round here

captain planet
04-03-2009, 01:15 PM

You are an eeeeeevil man tricky! :rolleyes:

g-Dog
04-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Experts say the main cause of global warming is recreational boating emissions...or is it spotted owl emissions...no, wait, I think it was beer and Taco Bell emissions. Now I'm totally confused.:confused:

Monte
04-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Experts say the main cause of global warming is recreational boating emissions...or is it spotted owl emissions...no, wait, I think it was beer and Taco Bell emissions. Now I'm totally confused.:confused:

See you are complicating this waaaayy too much.. Harold + Pickled eggs = global warming8p

captain planet
04-03-2009, 03:16 PM
See you are complicating this waaaayy too much.. Harold + Pickled eggs = global warming8p

I heard it was Harold + Pickled eggs = sulfuric acid. 8p

TMCNo1
04-03-2009, 03:28 PM

I use bag ice instead of Artic Ice so my ice won't melt so quick and my drinks get warm.

Just don't stand behind any cows,

Monte
04-03-2009, 03:34 PM

I wonder what that sucker gets in the 1/4 mile:rolleyes:

TMCNo1
04-03-2009, 03:52 PM
I wonder what that sucker gets in the 1/4 mile:rolleyes:

Duh, we gets more global warming and warm milk!:rolleyes:

g-Dog
04-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Is that a Burger King cow?

TMCNo1
04-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Is that a Burger King cow?

No, she works for Chick-Fil-A as an actor in their commercials and part time cooking chicken breasts!:rolleyes::D

JimN
04-03-2009, 06:31 PM
I use bag ice instead of Artic Ice so my ice won't melt so quick and my drinks get warm.

How's the wake behind that cow?

Jorski
04-06-2009, 11:40 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7984054.stm

Ice bridge ruptures in Antarctic

An ice bridge linking a shelf of ice the size of Jamaica to two islands in Antarctica has snapped.

Scientists say the collapse could mean the Wilkins Ice Shelf is on the brink of breaking away, and provides further evidence of rapid change in the region.

Sited on the western side of the Antarctic Peninsula, the Wilkins shelf has been retreating since the 1990s.

Researchers regarded the ice bridge as an important barrier, holding the remnant shelf structure in place.

Its removal will allow ice to move more freely between Charcot and Latady islands, into the open ocean.

European Space Agency satellite pictures had indicated last week that cracks were starting to appear in the bridge. Newly created icebergs were seen to be floating in the sea on the western side of the peninsula, which juts up from the continent towards South America's southern tip.

Professor David Vaughan is a glaciologist with the British Antarctic Survey who planted a GPS tracker on the ice bridge in January to monitor its movement.

He said the breaking of the bridge had been expected for some weeks and much of the ice shelf behind was likely to follow.

"We know that [the Wilkins Ice Shelf] has been completely or very stable since the 1930s and then it started to retreat in the late 1990s. But we suspect that it's been stable for a very much longer period than that," he told BBC News.

"The fact that it's retreating and now has lost connection with one of its islands is really a strong indication that the warming on the Antarctic is having an effect on yet another ice shelf."

While the break-up will have no direct impact on sea level because the ice is floating, it heightens concerns over the impact of climate change on this part of Antarctica.

Over the past 50 years, the peninsula has been one of the fastest warming places on the planet.

Many of its ice shelves have retreated in that time and six of them have collapsed completely (Prince Gustav Channel, Larsen Inlet, Larsen A, Larsen B, Wordie, Muller and the Jones Ice Shelf).

Separate research shows that when ice shelves are removed, the glaciers and landed ice behind them start to move towards the ocean more rapidly. It is this ice which can raise sea levels, but by how much is a matter of ongoing scientific debate.

Such acceleration effects were not included by the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) when it made its latest projections on likely future sea level rise. Its 2007 assessment said ice dynamics were poorly understood.

Published: 2009/04/05 07:13:59 GMT

BBC MMIX

TX.X-30 fan
04-06-2009, 11:47 AM
I knew it ice melting and the sky falling, we are doomed.

JimN
04-06-2009, 01:04 PM
"Professor David Vaughan is a glaciologist with the British Antarctic Survey who planted a GPS tracker on the ice bridge in January to monitor its movement."

I hope he's basing this on visual evidence because otherwise, I think a crafty penguin is just screwing with him.:D