PDA

View Full Version : Would you have the strengh of mind?

Monte
04-03-2009, 09:56 AM
http://www.shelbystar.com/news/person_38190___article.html/wreck_scanner.html

Woman loses arm in wreck (updated 6:26 p.m. w/ photos)
Thursday, Apr 2 2009, 3:17 pm
Olivia Neeley
Update: 6:26 p.m.

BOILING SPRINGS - Emma Norris said she never saw a mother so brave after a woman's arm was severed following a single-car wreck Thursday afternoon on Whelchel Road.

"I admire her; all she could think about was her babies," said Norris, who lives nearby.

Amanda McBrayer, 35, of Mooresboro, was driving east on Whelchel Road when she went off the left side of the road and hit several small trees, said Highway Patrol Trooper J.E. Deaton. The wreck was reported just before 3 p.m.

Deaton said McBrayer, who lives on the road, had four children in the car, including a 4-month-old baby.

Norris said she heard a car run off the road but didn't think much about it, until someone started knocking on her door.

"A little boy came to my house," she said. "He said ‘My mom's arm is cut off ... call 911.'"

While one of McBrayer's children knocked on the door of the home, her other child ran a half a mile down an adjacent road to get help.

"His face was red and told us they had been in a wreck," Charie King, McBrayer's neighbor said of the boy.

King's husband, Clayton, immediately went up the road to help.

Mother's bravery

The baby was still inside the SUV when Norris approached the wrecked vehicle.

"The baby was screaming," she said. "There was glass all in the back seat."

Norris said McBrayer was still conscious, but her arm was lying on the ground.

"She kept asking if her kids were alright and told me not to let them see her like this," she said.

Norris called 911 twice because she wanted to know what she could do to help in the situation.

"I told them to hurry," she said.

Seatbelt

Norris said 911 told her to get a white towel to put pressure on the arm, but McBrayer didn't need it.

"She had a seatbelt around the (severed) arm as a tourniquet, to keep it from bleeding," Norris said. "I have never seen anyone that brave."

King said he was in disbelief that McBrayer knew exactly what to do in the situation.

"She had the presence of mind to undo her seatbelt and make a tourniquet out of the seatbelt," he said.

Cleveland County EMS took McBrayer to Cleveland Regional Medical Center but she was later transferred to Carolinas Medical Center, Deaton said.

The wreck is still under investigation, Deaton said.

Neighbors in the community worked together to make sure McBrayer and the children were safe and out of harm's way.

"In a quiet neighborhood like this, it touches everybody," Norris said.

Maristar210
04-03-2009, 10:00 AM
That's nasty Monte. You should kick yourself in the nuts for posting that.

and... I don't know if I would. I can say most people would go into shock and bleed out.

BigMac - will be along shorty to offer some facts on the liklihood of survival in this case.

Kind of like the guy who's leg was stuck under a tree so rather than lay there and die he cut his own leg off with a pocket knife.

YUK

Monte
04-03-2009, 10:05 AM
That's nasty Monte. You should kick yourself in the nuts for posting that.

and... I don't know if I would. I can say most people would go into shock and bleed out.

BigMac - will be along shorty to offer some facts on the liklihood of survival in this case.

Kind of like the guy who's leg was stuck under a tree so rather than lay there and die he cut his own leg off with a pocket knife.

YUK

Darn 210 that hurt, Not only did I kick my leg out of whack, but now my nuts hurt 8p:D

I know fight or flight, adrenaline, shock, etc.. The story is just crazy IMHO

shepherd
04-03-2009, 10:11 AM
I'm just wondering how the heck her arm got cut off. :confused:
Was it hanging outside the window when she hit the trees?

Maristar210
04-03-2009, 10:12 AM

Sounds like it. Same thing as the drummer for Def Leppard who's arm was hanging out the window of his corvette and now its gawn

Monte
04-03-2009, 10:14 AM

Good question.. I have no idea, but would also like to know..

JohnE
04-03-2009, 10:16 AM
That is just crazy.....I can't imagine I'd have the mindset to do that.

scott023
04-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Crazy, but I'm pretty sure we could all do it for our children. To be frank, I don't give a rats a$$ about my own well being if it means saving my kids frm harm.

Kudos to this woman... mind over matter I always say.

Monte
04-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Crazy, but I'm pretty sure we could all do it for our children. To be frank, I don't give a rats a$$ about my own well being if it means saving my kids frm harm.

Kudos to this woman... mind over matter I always say.

You are correct, I would do anything to keep my kids safe. I just don't know that I would have the mindset:o