PDA

View Full Version : Get 'em While They Are Cheap

Carbon Dreams
04-02-2009, 01:14 PM
I finally got my long awaited Vintage Jet Ski's for cheap. I know most purist Slalom Skiers are at odds with the PWC industry but...

How many of you ride PWC's?

justinglow
04-02-2009, 01:18 PM
I have a Yamaha GP that I bring out when it's to rough to do anything else on the water.

EricB
04-02-2009, 01:27 PM
I break out my Kawi 650 sx stand-up when the glass is gone and the wakeboarder's wake up. However, I am a skier first, so I do not pester anybody attempting to ski, no matter what they are skiing on.

I go after pontoons!:D

Carbon Dreams
04-02-2009, 01:31 PM
I totally agree. Stand ups are the bomb. I hate it when you get an uneducated couch rider that decides to tear up the water when we are skiing. Respect is the key to co-existence. I picked up a 1990 X2 and a 1994 550SX...:D

dpolen
04-02-2009, 01:34 PM
I bet that 550SX is going to be a blast to ride. I'd love to have one of those. I grew up riding SeaDoo's on Lake of the Ozarks, there are a lot of great memories from those machines...I'd love to have one again, but the boss will only let me have so many toys. :-)

shepherd
04-02-2009, 01:52 PM
I totally agree. Stand ups are the bomb. I hate it when you get an uneducated couch rider that decides to tear up the water when we are skiing. Respect is the key to co-existence. I picked up a 1990 X2 and a 1994 550SX...:D

"Couch rider" 8p Yep, that about sums it up. I agree with you guys completely. The standup jetskis are cool and actually take some skill to ride. I'd like to get one myself someday, but too many toys... I only rode one a few times during a weekend at Kerr Lake, VA back in the 90s. It was a blast.'

Where did you find yours CD? Pics?

Sodar
04-02-2009, 02:03 PM
I had 2 '91 550's through high school. My best friend and I went in halves on them. We found one for $500 and a second for 800 with a single trailer for a sea-doo. I took the trailer and turned it into a double, added a storage box, gas can racks and a spare tire.

Pretty clean looking, huh? We ended up selling the pair with the trailer for $2700.

When I sold those, I decided to step up to a '96 SuperJet.

I went and had a mechanic check the ski out before I bought it and everything checked out great.

In the second weekend I had it at the lake, the engine seized and I had to have it rebuilt.

$1200 later, I had a new motor, but got the '96 MC for X-mas and decided that I would not use the SuperJet anymore with the new boat... I was WRONG!

I sold the thing for a $800 loss. And regret selling it to this day.

I would really like to get back into it, but time and money seems to prohibit it. We still take my girlfriend's Sea-Doos out in the surf, but it is definitely not the same as a stand-up!!

chudson
04-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Always wanted to get a bunch of friends together and rent the sit down type and go on a big river or lake and ride along the shore and just keep goin where you don't see the same thing twice. Sorta like riding the snowmobile trails. Maybe someday!!!

dog paw
04-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Nice 550's, brings back memorys. My brother had one, that sucker made my bones hurt many a weekend.

Three doos for me GTXltd (600) hours. RXDI (400) hours, and a new RXPX (100) hours Needless to say our lake is not fit for the MC much anymore.....

Shep I'll take a wipe out on the standup all day long to one on the skilless riders couch LOL!
You sharpen skills pretty fast coming of a "couch" at 70+ :D

Carbon Dreams
04-02-2009, 03:01 PM
"Couch rider" 8p Yep, that about sums it up. I agree with you guys completely. The standup jetskis are cool and actually take some skill to ride. I'd like to get one myself someday, but too many toys... I only rode one a few times during a weekend at Kerr Lake, VA back in the 90s. It was a blast.'

Where did you find yours CD? Pics?

I got one in Idaho and the other in Sacramento. 600 each...I am in the process of rebuilding the X2. The hull had an old repair, that wasn't to my liking. Sooooo, I did some Carbon Fiber magic on it and painted the repair. The engine needed to be re-sealed, but is clean and strong. The 550 just starts and is begging to go to the lake. Come on summer...I'll get some pics up when I get the X2 back together.

captain planet
04-02-2009, 03:21 PM
casx2 and I had 3 of them. We started out with a 300cc on a homemade trailer. Bought one 550, decided the 300 wasn't fast enough, sold that and got another 550. Bought a 2 place trailer for them and rode them for another couple years. Then casx2 got his first ski boat (SkiRay) and we all started skiiing seriously.

We had alot of fun on them until casx2 broke the arm on the good 550. Well, let's say the arm broke while he was riding it. ;) Anyway, we replaced it with an aluminum racing arm put a plate with fins on the bottom and a new knee well pad.

Then they stopped running well we couldn't fix them so we sold them and I kept the trailer for my MasterCraft WetJet.

Ahhh, the memories.

Datdude
04-02-2009, 04:29 PM
I got a new 1987 Kawasaki Jet Ski 300 for my 9th birthday:cool:. We would go to this dealer near our lake house for parts and they had a cool white/orange/yellow 440(not the one in the pictuire), but I couldn't get my dad to pull the trigger. I bought a 1987 550 two years ago, but could not keep it running so I sold it.

shepherd
04-02-2009, 09:34 PM
I had 2 '91 550's through high school. My best friend and I went in halves on them. We found one for $500 and a second for 800 with a single trailer for a sea-doo. I took the trailer and turned it into a double, added a storage box, gas can racks and a spare tire.

Pretty clean looking, huh? We ended up selling the pair with the trailer for $2700.

That's a nice set-up Sodar. And nice profit on the re-sale!

shepherd
04-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Shep I'll take a wipe out on the standup all day long to one on the skilless riders couch LOL!
You sharpen skills pretty fast coming of a "couch" at 70+ :D

I didn't think it would take much skill to wipe out a couch at 70+ ;)

MIMC
04-03-2009, 08:03 AM
I have a Kawasaki 750 Sxi stand up - love it! Like most of you - skiing comes first - then when the glass is gone I like to tear it up. Sit downs are boring and non-challenging! A stand up - if ridden hard - is a great workout! Wife is after me to sell b/c I only ride it a handfull of times each year, can't justify selling it for a loss and considering the replacement value! But once she rides it she suddenly "remembers" how fun it is! :D

MIMC