PDA

View Full Version : Ski Across America for Cancer

skilew
04-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Ski Across America for Cancer:

What do you think?

Need Recommendations/Opinions/Support

Next summer (2010) I plan to combine a passion of mine and my family (water skiing/wakeboarding) with a worthy cause. Having just had my Aunt pass away from cancer we wanted to raise awareness and finical support for a worthy cause in the fight against cancer titled “Ski Across America for Cancer”. These are tough times as all of us are well aware of and a time that organizations such as the American Cancer Society (ACS) could use our support and this would be one great way to do our part.

The plan is for my twelve year old daughter and I to start off in my hometown of Clemson, SC and water ski/wakeboard across the country in as many states and on as many lakes as possible in an eight week period while raising funds for the American Cancer Society (ACS).

• I am currently developing the route so I need suggestions for best ski lakes to visit in each state.

•Contact information for any ski clubs, groups, or individuals that want to participate or help support this event.

•Will accept donations of your old ski equipment (in good condition) that can be sold or auctioned off as part of the fund raiser.

I am looking for any suggestions or support that will help raise funds for this event for the American Cancer Society.

Contact Lew:
Skilew77@yahoo.com

Big Dogg
04-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Just a suggestion of a stop in Illinois. Kaskaskia River at Evansville, IL. Its a little bitty southern Illinois town that has pretty much nothing except for a gas station and a couple bars. But it has a great segment of the Kaskaskia River that is long, straight, and fairly narrow (big enough for small barge traffic). The best part, its surrounded by trees = no wind, its narrow with slopping banks = 5 boats can go by and 5 mins later its back to glass. Bottom line its pure glass 90% of the time. Best place in S. Illinois that I have ski/wakeboarded. Just keep in mind there is nothing there, closest hotel I think is 10 miles. Just wanted to put in my .02 for a location.

shepherd
04-01-2009, 11:28 PM
I was thinking about doing the same thing, kind of. I thought it would be cool to see if I could ski in all 50 states in my lifetime. Just for fun, not for a noble cause or anything.

But I commend your decision to try this skilew and wish you the best. I would suggest a stop in NW Florida as part of your itinerary, not far from the borders of AL and GA. You could probably do all 3 states in the same day. I'll even offer up a pull at my home lake. PM me if interested.

chudson
04-02-2009, 09:43 AM
Can you set up a PayPal account for donations? The American Cancer Society might already have something setup with PayPal, and then again it may only work with the donations to the ACS and not to your effort, just don't know!!! Anyway there is Lake Clinton in east central Illinois that's a power plant lake, so on a cool morning you can slip down to the hot water outlet from the plant and ski in warm water. It's a state run lake and has many access areas and one of the access areas has a nice beach and pavillion. It's located 30 miles between two State University towns ( Champaign-Urbana and Bloomington-Normal). As most lakes go though weekdays are best cause weekends are nutz. Keep us up on your progress and good luck!!!!

bbymgr
04-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Question.....are you wanting great "out of the way" ski lakes, or areas with larger populations to draw more attention to the cause?

TnzpU4Fa
04-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Aloha, http://shysave.com/?said=t12

skilew
04-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Question.....are you wanting great "out of the way" ski lakes, or areas with larger populations to draw more attention to the cause?

I will consider either one it just depends on which lake is the most convenient. In other words I don't want to drive too far out of the way to get to a lake site. Right now I am working on putting a list together of ski lakes in each state so that I can make a route that is the shortest distance between the lakes.

skilew

skilew
04-02-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks to Big Dogg, shepherd, and chudson for the info.

skilew

C36
04-02-2009, 01:37 PM
You might want to talk to the people involved in "Waves of Hope" who skied over 500 miles to raise about $30,000 for cancer last summer in Ontario.

Two links which might be of interest:
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2008/08/11/sports/other/doc489e6208d7b66753151733.txt
http://www.buckeyemarinecentre.com/content.asp?nav=114228&cpid=8784&

skilew
04-02-2009, 05:41 PM
You might want to talk to the people involved in "Waves of Hope" who skied over 500 miles to raise about $30,000 for cancer last summer in Ontario.

Two links which might be of interest:
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2008/08/11/sports/other/doc489e6208d7b66753151733.txt
http://www.buckeyemarinecentre.com/content.asp?nav=114228&cpid=8784&

Thanks I will check it out.

LEW

mayo93prostar
04-02-2009, 05:51 PM
If you are familiar with Google Earth mapping software, there is a kmz file available with lots of ski lakes across the country. I just can not find it or a link right now. Good luck.]

Are you going to tow your own boat or coordinate to use people's at lakes you go to?

skilew
04-04-2009, 01:50 AM
If you are familiar with Google Earth mapping software, there is a kmz file available with lots of ski lakes across the country. I just can not find it or a link right now. Good luck.]

Are you going to tow your own boat or coordinate to use people's at lakes you go to?

I have used Google Earth once before but not to locate ski lakes, not familiar enough with it.

I was planning to tow a boat but lately I think it may be better not to.

JohnE
04-08-2009, 08:57 AM
I'd be willing to help you in New England. I can give you a pull in MA, NH, ME, RI at lakes I have/ do go to. And I'm sure we can find a lake in RI.

skilew
04-08-2009, 05:08 PM
I'd be willing to help you in New England. I can give you a pull in MA, NH, ME, RI at lakes I have/ do go to. And I'm sure we can find a lake in RI.

Great that will be very helpful.

Thanks,

Skilew

flipper
04-08-2009, 05:16 PM
are you looking for a course to ski, or just enough water to ski in? I can drag you around Nor Cal if you'd like