PDA

View Full Version : I Got A Guy...

cmw
04-01-2009, 03:51 PM
I got a guy here at work who says he can fabricate a barefoot boom for me. He knows nothing about skiing, but a hell of a fabricator. I want to use it to teach my kids to ski. I have never used a boom, so I am not sure how to make one. I would think it would be easy. I have a skylon pole I would like to use in conjunction with it. I thought you guys might have some ideas I could go to him with. What do you think?

flipper
04-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Unless you can get the material for free, I'd think it would be cheaper to buy one by the time you buy cables, clamps, and metal to make it out of.

D3skier
04-01-2009, 04:21 PM
webriggingsupply.com is pretty cheap when it comes to cables...

cmw
04-01-2009, 04:30 PM
I think I could get some of the material for free and I think it can be done way under the $470 plus shipping price for a new one. Still want to get everyone's input before a proceed. Does it have to be aircraft aluminum? I sure it is stronger, but is it necessary?

Thanks for the cable link. This is the info I am after.

craig3972
04-01-2009, 04:48 PM
there is a certain amount of safety when buying a mass produced model as opposed to a one off.

loeweb
04-01-2009, 04:51 PM
I am not sure it has to be aircraft aluminum. I have seen an old boom that didn't have much bend to it. If I remember correctly it was pretty light. Not for sure if it was aircraft grade or not, but seemed a lot lighter than mine. Besides the cables are going to hold most of the weight once up on the water right?

captain planet
04-01-2009, 05:12 PM
I am not sure it has to be aircraft aluminum. I have seen an old boom that didn't have much bend to it. If I remember correctly it was pretty light. Not for sure if it was aircraft grade or not, but seemed a lot lighter than mine. Besides the cables are going to hold most of the weight once up on the water right?

Yea, but what about climbing out on it and leaning on it to attach a rope. I hang/lay on mine all the time when teaching people to ski, foot, whatever. I practically sit on mine when my kids are on it teaching them. As long as it is the same grade aluminum I wouldn't see the problem.

I guess the only question I have is, if a Barefoot International boom fails while during use and someone is injured or a boat is damaged, is there any type of insurance that goes along with these products that covers that? If there is, I don't know. Probably not, just wondering.

Sorry, typing while thinking, mind wandering over. :o

craig3972
04-01-2009, 05:15 PM
just nice knowing that your not the guinea pig

cmw
04-01-2009, 05:26 PM
I agree, but this guy over engineers things. He does some serious projects for us. This should be simple for him. I thinking more like how should it be attached to the boat. Something that slides over the pylon in the boat and is there a way to design it to use with the skylon pole? Any ideas on how to taper it down so little hands can grab hold. I have some ideas, but could always use more so I don't miss anything. Captain Planet made a point about sitting on it. Something I did not think of, because I have not used one. You get what I am saying.

cmw
04-01-2009, 05:27 PM
This would'nt be the first time!

cmw
04-01-2009, 05:28 PM
just nice knowing that your not the guinea pig

This woul'nt be the first time!:D

T Scott
04-01-2009, 05:45 PM
I think you should be able to find a good used boom for about $200-$250. Check on eBay, craigslist and barefoot central. I think this would be a much easier, and safer route to take.

Just my 2 cents .....

denverd1
04-01-2009, 06:02 PM
just saw one on the bay for $150 +shipping. There are some good pics on there at least, and they do talk about using a pylon in conjunction with it.

Hollywood
04-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Sure, a used boom would be the easy way to go. If you have access to cheap materials and your machinist owes you a favor you may come out ahead on cost or close enough and have a "custom" made boom.

cmw
04-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Nothing on craigslist in my area. ebay $295 and still bidding. I beginning to think you guys don't like the idea of a do it yourself boom.

cmw
04-01-2009, 06:29 PM
just saw one on the bay for $150 +shipping. There are some good pics on there at least, and they do talk about using a pylon in conjunction with it.

That was a straight boom right? The adaptor was $149.

duckguy
04-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Just buy a boom. These vendors help support the sport and I would not bet my safety to save a hundred or two!

cmw
04-01-2009, 07:30 PM
If you knew what I have already spent restoring this boat, you would realize how many I do support. To me a hundred or two is a lot of money. If I remember correctly, you buy a boat every year or two. I don't have it like that.

duckguy
04-01-2009, 07:35 PM
I also have spent time out on a boom and know that saftey is job 1 and I am not getting on a homemade rig!

cmw
04-01-2009, 07:41 PM
That's why I am asking. Is there really that much to them ? I've seen them and it seems pretty simple. I could be wrong and from the responses it sounds like I am.

captain planet
04-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Nothing on craigslist in my area. ebay $295 and still bidding. I beginning to think you guys don't like the idea of a do it yourself boom.

I guess it comes to safety more than anything. Going 40 mph across the water 5 feet from a 2500+ lb. boat on a pole that, when a guy is barefooting creates so much torque that you have to oversteer away from the footer to go in a straight line.......I am not saying anything against your friend or his capabilities but my money would go to someone that has built a bunch of these things and has corrected/perfected them over the years and knows how to build them to be safe. Same goes for a skylon. A trip to the ER (or worse) when it is sunny and 85 degrees isn't something that sounds good to me.

That is the reason for all the doubting about a custom boom.

cmw
04-02-2009, 10:35 AM
I guess it comes to safety more than anything. Going 40 mph across the water 5 feet from a 2500+ lb. boat on a pole that, when a guy is barefooting creates so much torque that you have to oversteer away from the footer to go in a straight line.......I am not saying anything against your friend or his capabilities but my money would go to someone that has built a bunch of these things and has corrected/perfected them over the years and knows how to build them to be safe. Same goes for a skylon. A trip to the ER (or worse) when it is sunny and 85 degrees isn't something that sounds good to me.

That is the reason for all the doubting about a custom boom.

I get what you are saying and you are right. I would never forgive myself if someone got hurt. Maybe I will see if he can make me a prop:D

Just kidding

04-02-2009, 01:11 PM
I got a guy here at work who says he can fabricate a barefoot boom for me. He knows nothing about skiing, but a hell of a fabricator. I want to use it to teach my kids to ski. I have never used a boom, so I am not sure how to make one. I would think it would be easy. I have a skylon pole I would like to use in conjunction with it. I thought you guys might have some ideas I could go to him with. What do you think?

DON'T DO IT..for the sake of safety and proper design do not do it. I have seen HOME MADE booms break. Not PRETTY AT ALL. Spend the money on a GOOD used one or a new one.

We don't want to be reading about what happened next...

[email protected]

cmw
04-02-2009, 02:15 PM
DON'T DO IT..for the sake of safety and proper design do not do it. I have seen HOME MADE booms break. Not PRETTY AT ALL. Spend the money on a GOOD used one or a new one.

We don't want to be reading about what happened next...

[email protected]

You guys convinced me.

cmw
04-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Jim,

You still have the used white bimini top to fit a 1990 maristar 210. I will be in your area next week.

coz
04-02-2009, 02:22 PM
You guys convinced me.

I know it's a little late :o but man! I couldn't give one of these away back in 07 http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=20784

I actually tried craigslist too with no luck and ended up trashing it :D

It's been a while so all the pics are gone.

cmw
04-02-2009, 02:25 PM
I know it's a little late :o but man! I couldn't give one of these away back in 07 http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=20784

I actually tried craigslist too with no luck and ended up trashing it :D

It's been a while so all the pics are gone.

I'll keep looking on cragslist. Any other ideas on were to look?

coz
04-02-2009, 02:32 PM
I'll keep looking on cragslist. Any other ideas on were to look?

Found ya one in Az near Phoenix http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/spo/1090862199.html

WTRSK1R
04-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Sounds like you have already decided to look used, but here are a few more reasons.
The loading on these things changes dramatically based on how it is used. I have been on a boom with 3 other people at the same time, and with 4 of us in tow, the driver had to have the wheel all the way in the other direction to keep the boat going straight. That's alot of torque.
I have seen a boom bounce off the gunwale about 3 or 4 feet in the air when the skier goes out the front and does a faceplant. There are more forces on this then just the pull toward the transome.
One of my friends weighs around 220 lbs and with the boom set at the correct height for footin, the tip nearly touches the water as he crawls out on the boom to do a plant.
When you attach a handle, the extra 5 foot lead increases the torque outward and back if the footer "swings" out on the handle. Again, hard to predict the total load.

Too many things to consider from a liability perspective, plus the fact of how you would feel if you our someone close got hurt just to save a couple of hundred bucks.

:twocents:

Steve

cmw
04-02-2009, 04:25 PM
I'm 220lb and thought about giving barefoot'n a try one day, but for now it would be for teaching my kids and some of the neighborhood kids. I guess I need to do some more research. I see a straight boom and a curved one. coz, I could not tell if the one you found was straight or curved. My boat is in the shop being reupholstered for the next two weeks. Not sure which one I would need. I think the windshield comes back to the pylon, but not sure where it ends. We leave Sat. for Florida for the week, so I won't be able to do anything till we get back. The wife is not crazy about me spending more money after the upholstery, but if the kids are not enjoying themselves, they won't want to go the lake as much as I do. I learned to ski when I was young and could not get enough of it. I was a slow learner and I really think a boom would get them up quicker and not frustrate them. They are 7 and 9. I appreciate you guys keeping your eye's open for me. I am in the Atlanta area. She doesn't realize I still need a Bimini top, radio, speakers and depth gauge. I had to gut the whole boat and start over. Trying to do it all at the same time. She is pretty cool. The first day I get her out on the lake, I think she will see it my way.:D

EJ OJPROP
04-02-2009, 05:00 PM
I get what you are saying and you are right. I would never forgive myself if someone got hurt.

Maybe I will see if he can make me a prop:D

Just kidding

Not the prop, please not the prop.

WTRSK1R
04-02-2009, 05:33 PM
A boom definately helps for learning, but is not 100% needed. If you think you will not be footing, then I would consider seeing if anyone you know has one just to get the kids up a couple of times before going long line. My son and daughter both had their first time up on a boom, but after about 3 or 4 tries I put them behind the boat and my daughter has not been back on the boom since. My son is now footin, so he uses the boom again. I did not own one when the kids started, but was lucky enough to have a friend who had one and was able to get the kids up that way.

cmw
04-02-2009, 05:53 PM
A boom definately helps for learning, but is not 100% needed. If you think you will not be footing, then I would consider seeing if anyone you know has one just to get the kids up a couple of times before going long line. My son and daughter both had their first time up on a boom, but after about 3 or 4 tries I put them behind the boat and my daughter has not been back on the boom since. My son is now footin, so he uses the boom again. I did not own one when the kids started, but was lucky enough to have a friend who had one and was able to get the kids up that way.

Something I did not think about. But I have no access to one.

H20skeefreek
06-22-2010, 06:16 PM
This is an old topic, but I have a homemade boom that came with my boat. I'm not going to be using it for footin', but I tried it this last week to teach my little bro to ski and it worked great.