PDA

View Full Version : oil for 87 prostar

law32ps87
03-31-2009, 06:17 PM
I have been using rotella t for the 2 years I have owned the boat, but I remember reading somewhere that they stopped putting in an additive that is needed for the flat tappet cam in my engine. Im not entirely sure if this is true, but what engine oil would be best for my engine? 351 indmar, non powerslot
thanks

Laurel_Lake_Skier
03-31-2009, 08:09 PM
If you want to stick to a multi, Valvoline VR1 20W-50 seems to be the current best choice. It has the high level of ZDDP you need for the flat tappet engine. The Rotella still has the ZDDP in the straight 30 and 40 weights as well. For a very complete discussion, check out CorrectCraftFan.com and do a search for either the VR1, Rotella or ZDDP oil.....lots of tech talk over there.

east tx skier
04-01-2009, 01:45 PM
I'm close to your latitude and run the 20W50 VR1. But given our temperatures in Texas, you'd probably be fine with the straight 40 as well.

TMCNo1
04-01-2009, 02:09 PM
I've always run Valvoline VR1 40 weight in our '89,

loeweb
04-01-2009, 02:45 PM
I've always run Valvoline VR1 40 weight in our '89,

Stupid question but what is the difference between the straight 40wt and the 20w 50 VR1?

east tx skier
04-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Stupid question but what is the difference between the straight 40wt and the 20w 50 VR1?

I'm not an oil expert, but the the multiweight oils are going to help you with lubrication at startup. Whether or not you can get away with using straight 40W oil is going to depend on how cold it gets when and where you're operating.

loeweb
04-01-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm not an oil expert, but the the multiweight oils are going to help you with lubrication at startup. Whether or not you can get away with using straight 40W oil is going to depend on how cold it gets when and where you're operating.

Thanks for the clarity. I better use the vr1 20w 50 here in the midwest.

law32ps87
04-01-2009, 05:32 PM
thanks for all the replys. I went ahead an bought some vr1 20w50 at autozone.

wakesurfer
10-02-2009, 06:27 PM
thanks for all the replys. I went ahead an bought some vr1 20w50 at autozone.

Please tell me what oil is the best to use in this boat with a chevy engine?
thanks for your time, and how many quarts do i need ? 6?

Thrall
10-03-2009, 02:37 AM

5 qts (if you get it all out. I'm alwyas a little shy of 5 qts to get it full even after running the engine for a few seconds).
Any oil suitable for your car will work fine. I've run 10W40 before, but typically stick to 15w40 since I buy it by the case(s) for my diesel pickup anyway.
15W40 is reccomended by Indmar.
I use either Rotella or Delo as that's what's usually on sale.

Jesus_Freak
10-03-2009, 06:16 AM

Check out...http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/archive/index.php/t-2708.html

wakesurfer
10-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks that link was full of good opinions, anyone heard of Royal purple? hows that stuff, I heard that Amsoil is more expensive but good, its almost $10 a quart in that neighborhood.

erie X5
11-16-2009, 09:16 PM
I put pennzoil 5w-20 synthetic in my indmar 310 is this ok

deereman
11-21-2009, 12:16 AM
we run amsoil synthetic in our 87, and also in our utility tractor and vehicles. it's a very good quality oil.

boyd
11-28-2009, 09:34 PM
When all else fails read the owners manuel. You can either listen to people on here, listen to the oil manufactures or listen to the engineers who designed the engine. These people have no motivation to sell you anything and they know the most about the engine.
My owners manuel for a 91 Prostar 190. It has a 351 indmar, much like yours. It says 30w.
That's it. No 10w-30 or 5w-30. Just straight 30w oil.
Unless you are using your boat in temps below freezing you don't need the 10w-30.
In your lawn mower, motorcycle etc..... use straight 30 weight unless you will be using in temps below freezing. In temps that get down in the teens and 0's, use 5w.
Do a google for oil vescosity. It is very interesting. I did it last year and learned a bunch.
Makes feel much more educated. It made me understand what kind of oil to use instead of just guessing.

Good luck.
BOYD

east tx skier
11-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Boyd, again, no oil expert here, but oil weight aside, I've seen a lot of people on the boat forums expressing concern over the lowering of zinc additives in many of the oils traditionally popular in the boats. This is something that has happened in the last few years. For folks with flat tappet cams like you and me, the consensus is that it is something we don't want to go without. Many have mentioned Chevron Delo, Royal Purple or Valvoline VR1 as brands that have maintained acceptable ZDDP levels for our motors. I know there are others, but I can't call them up right now. If straight 30 weight oil works for you, great. But check those ZDDP levels, too.

boyd
11-30-2009, 12:20 AM
East, I"ll check it out. I'm not an oil expert, just a P.E. teacher who can read an owners manuel. Heck, I don't even know what a flat tappet cam is.
I also don't know what ZDDP is. I do realize and understand that they have probably learned alot about oil and engines since 1991 and they would probably add to their manuel if they could.
Take care. I'll check into zinc and see what they say.
BOYD

boyd
11-30-2009, 12:43 AM
http://micapeak.com/info/oiled.html

Check it out. Good information. Go to the bottom and you will see the amount of zinc in the oil.
The article talks about if you need zinc and how much is needed. Also what the "W" represents and should you use an oil with different weights etc ....

Enjoy,
BOYD

Chicago190
11-30-2009, 10:54 AM
http://micapeak.com/info/oiled.html

Check it out. Good information. Go to the bottom and you will see the amount of zinc in the oil.
The article talks about if you need zinc and how much is needed. Also what the "W" represents and should you use an oil with different weights etc ....

Enjoy,
BOYD

That article is over 10 years old. Good info, but the zinc content is unreliable because it was only the last few years that the EPA mandated lower levels of zddp in oil because zinc build up on catalytic converters was causing poor performance.

east tx skier
11-30-2009, 12:19 PM
That article is over 10 years old. Good info, but the zinc content is unreliable because it was only the last few years that the EPA mandated lower levels of zddp in oil because zinc build up on catalytic converters was causing poor performance.

That's the key. For more than you ever wanted to read about the subject, you can hunt down an oil thread from about 2007 on www.correctcraftfan.com. The horse was pretty well beat to death.

There was a later thread over here, too. From that, it was somewhat settled that the MC engines that would need to be worried about these things are any Fords and the pre-vortec TBI Chevies.

Kevin 89MC
12-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Interesting read on the zinc, I may do more research when time allows. As far as oil, I've run Valvoline 10W-30 in mine for the 12 years I've owned it, based on the recommendation of the MC mechanic at the time. No oil related issues so far...
If you ask 100 people about oil recommendations, you'll probably get 90 different answers, and there's a very good chance that all 90 will work just fine.
Oil related engine failures (other than low level or pressure) are extremely rare, not sure I've heard of even one on this board ever.
Kevin