PDA

View Full Version : Pin Stripe

jsonova99
05-17-2005, 01:04 PM
I know a lot has come up about replacing decals, but how about the pins trip for a '91 PS190 or the years similar to it. I peeled mine off because it just didn't look good anymore at all, is this something that the dealers still sell?

BrianM
05-17-2005, 04:33 PM
You should be able to get any type of pinstripe you need from an auto body supply place. The number of sizes and colors are nearly limitless.

jsonova99
05-17-2005, 04:55 PM
You should be able to get any type of pinstripe you need from an auto body supply place. The number of sizes and colors are nearly limitless.

I'm just wondering if I will be able to get it in the same shape as the original one without having to have some custom work done.

BrianM
05-17-2005, 10:23 PM
My pinstrip is original and it was just done with a regular (I think 1") stripe. You can see the line where it overlaps itself after the curve in the back. I'm sure you could have a pinstripe guy do it for you but I have done a couple of cars with tape and it is pretty easy. You have to buy the stuff in roles much longer than you end up using anyway so just practice a little on a piece of drywall or something. If you screw it up on the boat just start over. It comes off easy if it hasn't been baking in the sun for 15 years :D

PE4ME
05-17-2005, 10:34 PM
heat gun, blow dryer helps make removal easy.
lots of ways to apply...
since i dont have a steady hand, i squeegied a little water on the cleaned surface then applied decal...some say its not the way to do it but used it on my PS 205 & Snow-X sleds and the decals always adheared- snow mud water rain.
nothing like the steady hand of a body dude though..

jsonova99
05-17-2005, 10:46 PM
The original MC stripes have a wide spot towards the stern though, it's not just a single width pin stripe. If Doug has any side pics of his boat on here you will see what I mean.

JEREMY79
05-17-2005, 11:11 PM
NOT RECOMENDED FOR SOMEONE WITHOUT STEADY HAND.
I do this for a living. Body work not pinstripe, although that is part of it. I use a heat gun and a razor blade to get mine off. 3M makes an adhesive remover that will take what is left of the glue off.