PDA

View Full Version : Starter Replacement

88vaprostar
03-30-2009, 04:49 AM
I am getting ready to replace the starter in my 88 190 prostar. I have been through 2 starter solenoids and replaced the battery due to the hot wire melting the terminal post when starting. The starter does not drag or crank slow, just appears to draw a lot of amps. I know it takes a Chinese gymnast with rubber arms to get to it and take it out. Should I (a) remove the motor and work underneath or (b) take it to the dealer and let them handle it or (c) am I missing something and there is an easy way to remove and replace it with everything in place?

dmminfla
03-30-2009, 06:52 AM
It should only be a 15 minute job. Use a long extension(10 to 12 inches) on your ratchet for the rear bolt, The front one should be no problem. I have had had mine off about 5 times in the last 3 months.

denverd1
03-30-2009, 01:12 PM
pull it off yourself.

May want to replace your cables. They can corrode and won't conduct juice as well.

JimN
03-30-2009, 01:30 PM
I am getting ready to replace the starter in my 88 190 prostar. I have been through 2 starter solenoids and replaced the battery due to the hot wire melting the terminal post when starting. The starter does not drag or crank slow, just appears to draw a lot of amps. I know it takes a Chinese gymnast with rubber arms to get to it and take it out. Should I (a) remove the motor and work underneath or (b) take it to the dealer and let them handle it or (c) am I missing something and there is an easy way to remove and replace it with everything in place?

What battery are you using, has it gone completely dead and how old is it? If it's not a high CCA battery, it has gone dead (especially if it was multiple times) and if it's old, get a new battery first. Having it checked out for current draw isn't a bad idea but it's possible that the starter isn't at fault, especially since you have melted terminals, killed solenoids, etc.

Put some kind of padding under the starter to protect it and the hull, disconnect the cables from the battery before starting and then disconnect the cables from the starter. Loosen both bolts but don't remove them. Once they're loose and you can get them almost out, remove one and get into a position where it's not so awkward to work with it. Hold it up with one hand and back the bolt out, put it aside and then you can use both hands, if necessary. Lay in on the padding and slide it to a better position for removal.

88vaprostar
03-30-2009, 09:57 PM
I purchased a new Interstate Marine Battery - 750CCA - did not have enough amps to crank cold engine. Battery tested 100%. Then purchased a new Duralast - 800CCA - it seemed to do a better job until the terminal melted. My local MC dealer suggested that I replace the starter. I intend to replace both cables no matter what condition they are in.The PO left it in his boat house for the whole summer of 07 before I bought it last June. Starter/battery problems started in August.

JimN
03-30-2009, 10:42 PM
I would bet that the starter has never been lubed and has just about frozen from sitting. I have to agree that taking it in for a rebuild is a good idea.

88vaprostar
04-03-2009, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the info - I also plan to replace most of the wiring all over and upgrade/replace dash switches when I redo the dash switch plates. That way I know all wiring and connections are good.

Patrick Hardy
04-09-2009, 09:42 AM
I would bet that the starter has never been lubed and has just about frozen from sitting. I have to agree that taking it in for a rebuild is a good idea.

JimN, have been wondering about this issue for awhile. How do you lube the starter? where is the location to lube? How often? how much does it need? ect. Thanks.

JimN
04-09-2009, 10:33 AM
JimN, have been wondering about this issue for awhile. How do you lube the starter? where is the location to lube? How often? how much does it need? ect. Thanks.

The starter needs to be removed and the gear needs to be turned so it climbs up the shaft. I would clean any crusty grease off and coat the shaft well. Any excess will sling off when it spins, especially if the temperature is high.

This needs to be done annually and this is in the scheduled maintenance list.